The best DRIVE IN camping near
Owens , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Owens Camping Reviews
Highly Recommend in off-season

We camped during off season (November) and I am truly impressed by how not-beachy this site is! Great tree cover, close to the beach. Very nice and clean.

Wish we could have stayed more! @vantrailsbeer

Spent 2 nights here in our sprinter van with our pup in February. Nice, quiet and friendly campground. Loved all the trails within walking distance & the trail access to the beach. It was cold for February but no snow:) Used the bathroom & shower and they were very clean. Even saw dolphins from the beach! @vantrailsbeer

Family friendly with beach

We spent three nights in myrtle beach state park with full hook up. The Campground is big and maximized for renters and RVs. Space between sites is a bit tight but there is plenty of trees and coverage that provides good privacy between sites. The beach was very nice, a lot of people at the beach but plenty of space for everyone to enjoy. It’s super family friendly and the kids had a great time!

Beach and nice hiking trail

We stayed here for 3 nights. Our site, 19, backed to picnic shelter so avoid it. One large group had a party in there one night and pick up trucks were literally in our fire ring area. But there are great hiking trails from the campground that go near tidal ponds and good birding. We were here in mid March. Well spaced sites. Lots of noisy dogs. I might add but that seems the case everywhere now. Not sure why dog owners feel entitled to have barking dogs all day but that is why I bring ear plugs. Beach access is great, can walk for a mile or two with no condos!

Beautiful Primitive Campground

Set up my pop up in #4. Large, beautiful private sites. Gorgeous trails within walking distance. Great opportunity to see wildlife. Lots of mosquitoes, but not miserably so. Short drive to the beach.

Beautiful Spot for Primitive Camping and Wildlife Viewing

Santee Coastal Reserve is a hidden gem near the South Carolina coast offering eight, first come, first served primitive campsites in the Santee Coastal Reserve Wildlife Management Area.

The campsites are spacious and can easily accommodate multiple tents and/or RV's. This is primitive camping so there are no water or electrical hook-ups. We drove the short distance to the Elmwood Recreation Area to fill our water jugs. They do not sell firewood at the campground and we didn't see any for sale by local residents on our way in. Fortunately, we were able to gather a lot of downed wood around our campsite since it wasn't until the end of our stay that we found out that firewood, groceries, fishing, and other supplies were available at the Seewee Outpost, about 26 miles south of the reserve on highway 17.

Out of the eight sites, only about 4 or 5 were occupied at any given time and everyone was fairly quiet. Except for one camper who ran his RV generator for hours morning and night. Fortunately, they only stayed one night.

There are several hiking trails around the reserve where you can see various birds and spot alligators bathing in the sun. The only wildlife that we weren't happy to see were the gnats and mosquitos, which we weren't respecting so early in the season.

Overall, this is a beautiful campground and e look forward to visiting again.

Nice good sized campground right on the outskirts of Myrtle Beach

This is a pretty big campground. RV's rule the roost here. Most of the tent sites are on the rightmost section of the park (with the exeption of the tent only site on a separate far left section of the park). There are also cabins available at this park There was a good cross section of people. Many different age groups, and walks of life. Really friendly and chill park. Some very nice decorated tents and one really cool old 'skoolie' (actually a retired Air Force transport bus) which was my favorite of the lot. The beach is only 200 meters away, and there are some nature trails and a nature center as well. The camp store stays open till 9pm and they have plenty of wood and most of the things you will need. And they dont charge you up on items either!

The campsites are clean and feature a water spigot AND a power outlet, even for the tent sites! Tent sites usually do not get power outlets. There is also wifi included, which is another plus.

Now. This is a cool place, but the sites are really close to each other. You WILL get to know your neighbors. Also, you are on the approach/departure pattern for Myrtle Beach International, so planes will be 500 feet above you. Makes for nice photography, but just an fyi.

This is a great option for staying at Myrtle Beach, and if you are with a group and/or really social, you will enjoy this park.

More than Camping

My husband and I stayed there for two weeks in January. It is a true resort. It has indoor pools, outdoor pools, waterslide, putt putt, bowling alley, and an arcade. We ate dinner one night in the restaurant and it was absolutely wonderful. The chef actually came out and spoke with us. The grounds are immaculately kept. The sites are all flat but there is not much space between the sites. If you’re used to camping in a state campground with trees and space between the sites, this is not the place for you.

We are going back in a week with my children. Two of my children and their families are renting the tiny houses that are available for rent. My husband and I will be in our camper it will be the hub for the family gatherings. Great place for kids to ride their bikes and splash in the water park. Can’t wait.

Making Significant Upgrades

It’s on the intracoastal waterway. Recently under new management. There are kayaks for rent, activities, a pool, store on site, etc. Great location with lots to do close by. Screaming WiFi suitable for streaming and very friendly folks. Having said that there are a couple things you need to know. It’s prone to flooding in the winter season and you may need to move sites. With all the upgrades, there are a lot of new rules like no patio mats so the grass can grow. An awesome place for a Family vacay and reasonable snowbird rates for the off season. I would stay again.

Peaceful

I started coming to MBTP Aug of 2020..I previously  had my camper at ocean lakes.i was leaving  after spending a week there and going to mbtp..problem was..i had a day in between checking in.mand had nowhere to go..I have a golfcart..this huge camper that I'm still learning…what to do..go home?..only 2 hrs…naaa..mbtp..somehow made arrangements for me a spot that same day..relieved!!..I've been at least a week out the last year..winter fall..and cant wait for this summer..its so easy to check in..everyone is so friendly…ive made mbtp..my vacation spot yr round..rather it's a week..or more…also..its usually no problem if you want to extend your stay.which I think ive done quite a few times..such a peaceful environment plenty of amenities  to enjoy…I love mbtp