Millwood, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Millwood Camping Reviews
Great experience!

I have loved staying at swamp fox camp ground. We stayed for a few months and have adored all the people here. Especially the ones who work here. Always kept clean and friendly.

Needs improvements

Not a big rig friendly area. Our site was 30 amp, no sewer. I backed in the way I was told to and realized our water and electric were on the curb side. Had I known this ahead of time, I could have maybe pulled in another way. The service from another site was less than 3 feet from my power inlet to the camper. I called to make sure it would be ok to plug in there and they said no, even though no one used that site. The bathhouse was well below standards and really just unusable. I’ll pick another place if I’m ever in the area again.

Peaceful

About 31 RV sites. Onboard Ft. Jackson. Lake views. Boat rental available. Summer time swim beach. Spacious sites. No laundry at campground. Closest is about 3 miles away. Entrance road is really rough.

Santee State park

BE CAREFUL EROSION IS SEVERE IN SECTIONS OF THE PARK. We stayed here for a week to take care of some medical issues. VA healthcare is difficult on the road. Anyway the campground is ok, nothing amazing. The location is nice. They have a boat dock. Cabins and 2 RV camping areas. The bugs are plentiful. The shoreline is difficult to reach from the campground. I see the lots are mowed after the campers leave. The grass gets mowed and anything left on the ground gets chopped up, small trash included. When we arrived with our RV we were neve directed to check in. We found our site and on the pole was a small tag with our name and a checkout date. We have been here 5 of the 7 days and we have yet to see the camp host unless he IS the "Mad Mower" even so we didnt get as much as a wave. My wife did venture over to the restroom / showers and refuses to return. She said they were not clean and had bugs everywhere and it was disgusting.  I figured she was exaggerating so I checked the men's room. It really needs some help. I would be happy to spray down a bath house or 2 but since I haven't seen a camp host I will leave it be. It's amazing how much fellow campers will help out if they have the opportunity,  I was ready to help and even have everything needed to help out. Maybe I will see him this weekend before I get busy with other things. Anyways this came was not a bad experience so far but I think they really need some better hosts and maybe set up some kind of activities. They have nothing going on here other than the lake. UPDATE: Before we left our week stay in santee we were able to visit the other campground connect to the same park to get to this side you must turn right. They were collecting a $2 fee. At 1st everything seemed ok. Minor road damage, downed trees here and there, nothing that 2ould keepme away. It seemed like the permanent camps were here. Some of the camps appear to have been set up for a very long time. As we went back the roads got worse and worse. I would not take my rig into the back 2 loops without locking in 4 wheel drive and riding on the "grass" to go around. The road in the back has some major road erosion going on. I suggest you walk back before taking a rig of any size back there. With the leaves on the ground it does not look bad. I saw drops of at least 12" BE VERY CAREFUL, THE ROAD EROSION IS SEVERE.

National Park. Beautiful, pristine trails in a lowland, River-swamp habitat

Pristine, but organized trails near the Consgree river and Swamp. Lots of wildlife and ancient trees on the trails. Small campsite to include group camping. 40 miles from downtown Columbia SC. A rare treat to go back in time like this.

In the middle of Columbia SC

Built to celebrate the Sesquicentennial of South Carolina in the 30’s . At one time on the furthest outskirts of Columbia SC. It is now firmly in the muddle of the Metro area. Plenty of trailer sites. Tent site and primitive camping. Has recreational areas. Restaurants and shopping nearby

Busy campground

I can see why this is a busy campground. Bathhouses were clean. Many lakefront sites have posts to tie up your boat to if you have one. Beach area by the store. No WiFi and rarely did we have cell service but that’s not a bad thing! Large sites with some pull through. We had site 39 and there was nothing but woods behind us which was perfect for us. Only negative was I that I was bitten up by mosquitoes and I used bug spray ( obviously I need a better kind) and citronella buckets. Even with a packed campground for the holiday weekend it was relatively quiet especially by 11. This campground tends to be booked solid on weekends so important to make reservations. Also not much for stores close by so pack well. Oh and no alcohol sales on Sunday’s in the county.

Small primitive campsite that is nice and quiet

About 300 feet from the parking lot so easy to walk into and make trips back to the car or motorcycle in my case. It’s lowlands so it floods easily in heavy rains…learned this the hard way! Picnic table available at each site.

Great camping for fishing lovers

I wish they would stock a little more fish. Great areas of campgrounds. Great water park for kids and everyone. Full hook ups. Small supply store on site.

Shaded woodlands

Really nice shaded campground and very reasonably priced. Clean bathhouse. Stand was unpacked but level! Staff were friendly and very welcoming. Only spent the night so did not have time to enjoy the trails or the lake.

Great

Excellent staff and facility. Five stars

Wasn't for us

We are more of a state park kind of campers and these spots were very close together. Great for passing through but you won't see me there again. Internet was spotty at best.

Keep going back

This campground offers wildlife and great views. We were able to go hiking and kayaking at this park and saw deer while at our campsite in the evenings. We’ve stayed twice now and enjoyed it both times in different sites.

Awesome place

I love going to this campground, I enjoy doing the trails and spotting dear. And there is a small water play area for children. They have paddle boats also.

Nice Park. Not great for large RV’s

It’s a nice park with great amenities. The splash pad up front is awesome for kids.

Our only complaint is that most sites are very uneven. If you have a large camper/RV it may be tough to get your rig level. That being said site #21 worked well for our 40 foot fifth wheel. We had to use some blocks and a few attempts, but were able to make it happen.

Also, if your camper is over 25 feet I wouldn’t even bother booking a site on the second loop. It is pretty tight back there.

Peaceful

For our first time camping in our RV the staff was very friendly and helpful. The crew escorted us to our campsite, made sure we where happy. This was done with anyone who came in to camp.

If you don’t feel like cooking, order their awesome pizza, wings and they will deliver it to you by golf cart.

Our trash was picked up every morning. Campsite, pool and laundry area was kept clean.

We had an awesome view from our campsite of Santee Lake. We definitely will be coming back!

We loved it!

Our family of five was able to do hiking, boating, and geocaching! We love this place so much :-)

Great state park

Had a great time hiking and fishing

Great campground

They have 2 different campgrounds one which has been updated. We have stayed here several times and have enjoyed it every time. They have a few trails to hike. Both campgrounds are on Lake Marion. There is a little BBQ restaurant called Lone Star right outside the park that is pretty good. Bathhouses are in decent shape.

Lovely stay

Lovely campground, the office workers are very friendly. There are a few full timers there who are always friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this RV park.

Just OK.

Bathrooms nasty. Rough roads. Nice lake.

Fun times!

Our family loves this campground! Lot for the kids to do! Had activities planned throughout our time there. Not much shade and camper had a hard time cooling but overall a wonderful experience. We will be back!

Awesome Spot for a race

Camping to the general public is not permitted here unless you’re in a group, or volunteering. The first weekend in March most of the roads in the refuge are closed and is staged out for the Sandblast Rally. Tons of fun for a volunteer and a great excuse to be outdoors.

Back to nature at this well-maintained campground (Bluff)

There are two campgrounds at Congaree.  You park at Longleaf parking lot, where there are walk-in sites and vault toilets (clean but terrifying to squat over the abyss). We then walked 1 mile to our campsite at Bluff, where there are 6 sites available.  The sites are situated around a large, grassy area, and there isn't much privacy. (From what I saw, Longleaf sites offer more privacy.)  But you can't beat $5/night.

The walk to Bluff is not difficult but there are lots of tree roots.  We brought a beach cart to help tote our stuff, and we had to navigate those roots.  You will be packing light!

The very nice and air-conditioned Harry Hampton Visitors Center has a water fountain for filling bottles.  You will need lots of water if you are camping during the summer months.  It's also 1 mile to the visitors center.

The trails are well-marked, which is great when you're trying to find your way back to your site in the dark.

There is lots of hiking (easy and difficult) and good fishing in Weston Lake.  Canoeing and kayaking are completely dependent on the water levels at the time, which fluctuate greatly.

There is nothing in the way of swimming, which is a bummer in the summer.

Crowded and Worn

A beautiful location on the lake. All campsites can probably see the lake a little.

Downside is that it's super crowded. Apparently all the fishermen drag their families in along with their boats. While they're fishing, Mom and the kids are left in the campground.

Amenities are standard for SC parks, but they're worn-out. Could definitely use a refresh.

Great little spot for everyone

Awesome park about ten minutes outside of Florence. Has an environmental learning center. A canopy boardwalk in the trees. Kayak loading dock. And small campground with archery course.

Primitive, yet plentiful

Awesome primitive little get away, with beautiful views. Rustic stone and wood shelters. Ponds for fishing. Far away from city lights so great for stargazing.

Awesome little spot

Great little park about 20 minute drive from Florence. Clean bathrooms. My dog was a bit confused by seeing horses for the first time. Super friendly staff.

Off the Beaten path

5 of us on 4 motorcycles needed a place to stay for the night on the way to Myrtle Beach bike week. After you drive down a long sandy rutty road you come to the farm. A little oasis for the road weary. Mostly long term trailers are here but the do have tent camping. Nestled in the woods with sandy soil. Excellent rates. 25$ for the 5 of us and the best bathrooms ever!