the dyrt
Lugoff, SOUTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Lugoff Camping Reviews

Clean, affordable, level.

Smaller campground, very friendly rangers. Nice nature trail around the lake. Single camping loop.

A few sites right on the shore of a small lake. Sewer is not at all sites; only a few in the center of the campground.

I had site 18. Right on the shoreline. Level and shaded.

Peaceful place to unwind

Always have a great time at Lee State Park. There are horse trails and stables if you ride horses. Most of the sites are well kept, there was one or two that has big roots all over the site, they say there going to fix…very good place to camp…

Great camping in Sumter

Stayed at site # 36, this is the best one. There are 2 loops, first loop for the RVs and the second loop for tent and small pop ups. Tables, fire ring, water at each site. There is a bath house, very clean.

The hiking trails are very well marked, get map at ranger station.

Poinsett

It was great, the lake was warm and beautiful, and it was right next to devils fork state park so we could go there as well.

Cane Creek Park

Sites were easy to access, full hook-up, easy check-in. Quiet times were honored, which was a big plus. First time I ever slept in until 10:00 am. My site was respected, considering I was next to the water/beach area. The beach area was closed for the season, but it was a nice view anyway.

Gorgeous

This park is stunning and perfect for pups to come along!

Unique outdoor learning opportunity

Camping is not open to the general public at this wildlife preserve. However, for the purpose of environmental education programs and research activity, school groups and youth groups are welcome to visit the preserve for ranger led programs and can stay overnight at special rustic group campsites. This is with the permission of the refuge, and you must contact the station to obtain a permit. Camping is free, but the camping ground is required to do some kind of service learning project while in residence, and/or submit a list of species observed or studied while in residence. Independent researchers wanting to study the unique landscape, habitats, flora and fauna of the preserve may also apply for permits to camp here as well. This is a unique opportunity in a unique location! Hiking, fishing, and boating are also available, in addition to wildlife watching and nature study. Read more about the preserve here: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Carolina_Sandhills/visit/plan_your_visit.html

you can print out a brochure here: https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/CarolinaSandhillsBrochure.pdf

If you just want general day use recreation in the preserve, you can also camp nearby in the Sandhills State Forest: https://www.state.sc.us/forest/refshill.htm#rec

Undeveloped

If you like to fish and thats it then you'll enjoy this campground because thats really all they have to do.

Great time with family!

My family and I spent 2 weeks in South Carolina for a family trip one summer when we were all back from college. We love camping and decided to take a trip here to do some site seeing and camping. We stayed here and 2 other places, and really loved this one. I would say this was my favorite one out of the 3. There was some amazing hiking, with beautiful views! I am used to the Texas heat, so it was nice to get away from the humid temps and come here. The campground was good…each spot had its own table and fire ring. we enjoyed cooking dinners over the fire pit and doing smores. I would recommend stopping by the grocery store that is about 5 miles away and getting all your supplies. We didnt have room to back a lot of food and fire wood, so this place was perfect to get everything we needed for the 2 nights we stayed here. We really liked that there were tons of trees and shrubs that separated each campsite. It was also nice to have trees to hang our hammocks in. There is also a lake nearby that was a lot of fun. We did a hike that took us up and around the lake, so the views were gorgeous. The weather was perfect when we came in late June. A little busy because of the summer, but we reserved ahead of time so we werent worried. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and visit to SC. One thing we really enjoyed was mountain biking here. My brothers and I did this for an entire day on a course they had nearby, and it was a blast! I think most the pics I took were from this experience!

Great location with various things to do in the campground

We were on our way from Charleston to Greenville and this was a great place to stop. We used it as a home base for visiting Congaree National Park and couldn't be happier with our choice! We were in Site 32 and it was a great one. We had a view off the back of our site and it felt private. There was a splash pad, a lake and many trails to explore. I also enjoyed reading the different signs around the park about the history. I was shocked to find that as many as 10,000 people would visit this park on weekends in the 50's and 60's. The staff was really helpful and the facilities were all clean. We would definitely go back to this campground!

The campground is off a really busy road, but you sure wouldn't know it! It was very quiet. However - super convenient having any place you might need to go right by. Our Verizon hotspot worked great, but the Sprint hotspot was spotty through the park. If you are ever passing through or want a good home base for exploring Congaree - this is it!

A Bit of The Country, Just Down the Street

Our Cub Scout Pack frequently uses this park, and it's great for both day visits and those 'introductory' camping trips to get the new kids comfortable in the woods!

There's plenty of stuff to do, from boats to fishing to both primitive sites and sites with more amenities.

And what's really nice, if you forgot something, you can just drive down the street and pick it up.

Great place

The Congaree National Park in South Carolina is a great place to go if you really want to enjoy nature, animals, and hiking. There are so many wildlife animals, that it is really fun to sit back and watch. There are tons of chipmunks, birds, and we even saw some deer. This was such a great way to wake up in the morning. We stayed here 4 nights, and every morning we were woken up by the beautiful sounds of chirping birds. There are some really great hikes nearby too. If you enjoy doing that- I would recommend looking into the Kingsnake Trail. Its a gorgeous hike in the middle of the Columbia. The trail isn't very well maintained. There are trees that are down, so you do have to maneuver your way around, over and under them. I didn't mind doing this at all. This is a great hike, however I wouldn't recommend this hike to people who don't have much experience with hiking. I would say it was difficult, and it is a very long day hike. It is around 9 miles roundtrip. I started at around 7:30am, and finished around 3:30pm. If you like hiking, but don't want to do a long/hard one, I would suggest just doing the main loop in the campground. I believe it is called the Bluff Trail. I would recommend bringing lots of bug spray. The mosquitos are no joke along the boardwalk area, toward the back where the trails start. There is also a river nearby called Sandbar- There were plenty of people swimming and having fun in the river. The park was a little messy. Didn't really seem like people picked up after themselves. Overall, this was a great place to visit and I would highly recommend coming here. Again, there are some really great hikes and it is beautiful here.

great hiking

nice trails, our site was really tight but was reserved sight unseen. enjoyed the paddle boats.

Lots of Horses

Ok if you have never stayed with horses you can not be prepared for the flyes. they were swarms of them. there was a old timey band that played the night we arrived. trails were nice and lots to see.

Great place for families!

This campground has great ways to keep the kids busy! Includes a Splash Pad, nature walk around the lake and playground! Little store on site. Clean facilities and comfortable camp sites…

Not too crowded

Nice quiet spot not far from Columbia. Love the elevation change which is rare in Midlands of SC.

We loved it!

We stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. A few friends came with us, and between us we had 8 kids. Despite being there during the hottest part of the year, we stayed comfortable and had a great time. The swimming area is by the office/shop. There is a really lovely strip of shaded picnic tables where we spent the hottest hours of the day. The water is pretty shallow, so the littlest ones had plenty of space to play and swim without us having to worry. We caught a ton of muscles and ate them. Several in our group enjoyed them very much. Bathrooms were well kept and nice and cool. The hiking trail is beautiful. The park is about 25 minutes from any stores, but they keep their shop extremely well stocked. The ladies there were great with helping us find our way when we did need directions to Walmart, and then later to the hwy to head home. There is no wifi until you're about 15 minutes from the park.

We thoroughly enjoyed staying here and recommend it!

nice place

Nice, clean campsites. The bath house was very nice and kept up well. Plenty to do for people of all ages.

lovely campground

we tent camped here before and it was lovely.

Nice camp ground.

Good camp for rv or tent camping. Plenty of trails, splash park for kids and a lake for boating and fishing

relax

very nice clean wooded campground

Great mountain biking

The biking is awesome, however I was not a giant fan of the campsite itself.

Unplug unwind

I took a group of 8 wild middle schoolers here and we had a blast hiking the trails, boating, and unplugging for a while!

great family campground

I’ve taken several trips here with my family and have enjoyed the quick escape from the city. Great group sites as well.

weekend trip

very family oriented campground! always something to do with an activity list full of different things. pool was very nice and never over crowded. will be going here again!!!

A Great Place for the Whole Family.

Located just outside historic Waxhaw NC, Cane Creek is part of the NC Soil Conservative Sites. They offer day passes,$4.00 per car where you can launch you kayak canoe or fishing boat. If you like Bass Fishing, they rank as one of the best spots around. They have swimming areas for both day users and one for campers. This really is a gem within Union Co NC. The campground is on the other side of the lake. They have camping for RV’s, Cabin Rentals and tent sites for either large groups or individuals. The hiking trail is beautiful and takes you around the whole lake. Watch for horses, as this is a great place for riders too.