Five Forks, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Five Forks Camping Reviews
I enjoyed my stay and will recommend to others.

Thanks for a great place to camp. We will definitelt be back each year!

A huge primitive group site

The groups site is basically a huge field equipped with a fire pit, picnic tables, and pit toilets. the field is level and provides plenty of space to park cars and setup tents.

The campground is located very close to Brevard and all wonderful attractions it has to offer - the shops and restaurants, hikes and waterfalls. BTW, there's a beautiful waterfall just a few miles from the campsite - Catheys Creek Falls.

One thing you need to know about the campsite - you'll need to cross a stream when coming into the camp. It's not deep and an SUV wouldn't have a problem. However, a lower clearance vehicle can get into trouble, especially after heavy rains.

Great location, large sites

We are beginner campers and had a great experience here for a long weekend camping trip.  We had a large double site with 2 tent pads and enough room for our friend's RV.  The campground is right on the Davidson River with a number of hiking & biking trail heads and plenty of spots to get into the river for tubing, fishing and swimming either within or just outside of the camp grounds.  The sites are spread out just enough to give you some privacy but close to make a quick trip to your neighbor in case you forgot something or need some help. :) There are clean bathrooms w/showers and helpful hosts on each loop. During our visit, our hosts spent the good part of one morning chasing a bear away due to someone leaving trash on their site.  It's also within 1/2 hour drive to a number of water falls and hiking trails of all levels (but mostly easy - moderate) in the Pisgah National Forest + plenty more if you drive further.  I would definitely come back here but I heard from the hosts on our loop that it books up quickly.  We got lucky booking at the last minute.

Loved it so much, we've planned another trip there!

We had a wonderful time camping at Devil's Fork State Park. Our group took up rustic tent sites T1, T3, and T5. On the map, these sites seem not ideal, as they are not on the water. However, they are more isolated, more wooded (plenty of trees for hammocking), and seemingly larger than the other tent sites. They are a short walk from the tent-camper parking area, a short walk from the two water spigots in the parking area, and a short walk from the restrooms. The bonus is that, behind sites T1 and T3, is a jumping rock into a gorgeous cove of Lake Jocassee with beautiful blue-green water. It's a great place to enjoy kayaks, rafts, and other inflatables.

While site T13 books up quick because of its waterfront location on the point, the walk from the parking lot is no joke.

Notes about the rustic tent sites: They have been recently renovated. Each has a picnic table and a fire ring. Only 1 vehicle is allowed to park, per site, unless you pay for the extra vehicle and park in the overflow lot. There is no electricity, and two water spigots located in the parking area. The entire camping area (25 tent sites and 59 RV sites) share 2 restrooms (which were muddy and gross while we were there). No generators are allowed in the tent area. We did have a bear visit us multiple times in one night, putting teeth puncture marks in our cooler. And if the bear don't get ya, the raccoons will!

Primitive Camping with Lots of Trails and Scenery

This wilderness area has a terrific trail system with waterfalls, overlooks, and more. I like it because I got to spend time beside the Middle Saluda River. I checked out the other campsites, and I decided to pick campsite 8 because it is right beside the river. You can hear the sounds all night long, which might be a disadvantage if the sound of running water makes you need to go to the bathroom. The best thing about site 8 is that it has more flat space than the other ones I saw, and it is fairly large. There are fire pits at the campsites, but you have to pack everything in. It is a relatively short hike to the campsites, but you won’t be taking the same things you would take for car camping. There is a shower and toilet, but they are back near the visitor’s center. I can’t pick one best thing about this state park, because when you have over sixty miles of trails and two waterfalls, it’s hard to pick. The only drawback this time was that the temperature in July is HOT, so having an electric fan is not an option. Fortunately, there was some cool air at night coming from the river. Rainbow Falls can be accessed by the Jones Gap Trail, which is the one that takes you to campsite 8. If you are staying in campsites 1-4, you will have to go through the parking lot to get to Jones Gap Trail. Likewise, sites 5, 6, and 7 are a short walk to Jones Gap Trail. Overall, camping at Jones Gap State Park is not for everybody since it is not for RV camping nor for car camping. However, if you like camping in earshot of rushing water, you will fall in love with this place.

State Park with Beautiful Views

Table Rock State Park is a large park with at least three“campgrounds.” One is a primitive campground, and one is a traditional campground. I did not get to explore the third campground, but I believe it is a traditional campground as well. The site I stayed at, site 56, was level, except for the approach; however, the pad was rough gravel. I put down two tarps under my tent to help eliminate the roughness inside the tent. The site was shaded and wasn’t too close to my camping neighbors, but the biggest problem was dealing with the ants—big black ants, small black ants, and other tiny ants. There was no lantern pole, but there was a fire pit and a picnic table. The bath house was only a short walking distance away. There is no lack of things to do, and the trail system is extraordinary. The main attraction, I would guess, is Table Rock Mountain, but there are other things to do. There is a swimming beach and a diving platform. Beside the beach are picnic tables, including a picnic shelter with a standing grill. The visitors center/store was well stocked with souvenirs and supplies, and there is a laundry next to it. Sometime during the night when I had to go to the restroom, I discovered that there was not water. The next morning, I turned on the faucet at my campsite, and it sputtered out brown water at first and then it came out clear. I said that to say this. There was a problem and they dealt with it quickly. That impressed me. The heat and humidity was almost unbearable, but nothing can be done about that during the summer. If you camp in a tent during the summer, make sure to take and extension cord and a fan. Overall, this is a great place to camp during vacation, but the cost is a little more than I expected to pay for a tent site. Costwise, I’m not sure I would want to pay that much for camping for a whole week. It rivals the national campground franchises. However, if cost doesn’t concern you, it really is a good place to camp.

Amazing Campground for Pups and Adults

We visited this park a few weeks ago and wished we could have stayed longer! It's a well-kept, clean park within approximately half an hour from Lake Lure (where Dirty Dancing was filmed). It is an adult only campground that is dog-centric… For us the best of both worlds! Includes several dog parks for large and small breads, and a pond in which the pups can swim and splash around. We've never been to a park like this one and highly recommend it if you can get in. We'll be back for sure!

Covid Issues

The boat ramp and camping areas are operational, but playgrounds and the swimming area is closed. And you don’t see the sign that tells you this until after you pay 😝

Family Day Trip

The park was an excellent diversion for the day. On Lake Jocassee, the water is clear and relatively cool, compared to nearby lake hart well. The swimming area is not very easily accessible, and the entry to the water is very rocky. It was nice to have a roped off area boats weren’t allowed in. There are canoe and kayak rentals, and even a pump for blowing up inflatables. The grassy areas are rife with goose poop, but that’s part of the charm, I suppose. We plan to explore more next time!

July 2-5 Tent #2

When we got to our site late at night, we discovered there was someone parked in our spot. There is supposed to be one car per spot. The signs designating the spots are off the road and very hard to see. Site 4 was right next to us, and site 3 behind us. We have never seen so many tent campers using generators and projecting movies onto big screens and sheets ever lol. If you arrive after dark, the sites are very hard to find. To not be totally negative, the bathroom was nice, and clean, and a little walk from our site. We love the upstate, so we went to see the nearby twin falls. Well worth the trip, an easy drive and hike in to this spectacular waterfall.