Bonneau Beach, SOUTH CAROLINA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Bonneau Beach Camping Reviews
Two Parks in One

There are two separate campgrounds at this park. The smaller park is nicer and paved. The larger park isn’t paved and has a few sites that are difficult to get in to. Overall though I’d recommend this park to stay at.

Nice little find

Was looking for a good halfway stop on our way to Florida. This 25 acre campground is tucked in on the North side of Lake Marion in SC. Great staff friendly and helpful. I'll will be back

Book Elsewhere in Advance

I agree with the other reviewer. My opinion is very strong about this place but will try to stick with facts. If you have to stay overnight due to traveling through, this would be adequate. A lot of the campers are there for work and are more permanent. Not super family friendly of a campground. Even though we visited at the beginning of December, it appeared unkept. Unsure what it would be like in the spring/summer. Dirty is how my husband and I described it. Most of the “roads” are paved which works out nice for a stroller. The dog park is a fenced in area only with swing, trash can and picnic table. They do not allow dogs to be tied up. In their words “must have an owner attached”. We have a 90lb Lab and 4 lb Yorkie. During the day, if the weather is nice, the dogs prefer outside on most occasions, as are we. The lab is not aggressive in the slightest bit and doesn’t bark without reason or at all. We received a warning from the campground via a note on the door for him being outside on a short lead to be within their rules. Never mind the yappy other dogs in the park where owners stroll through multiple times a day and allow their dog to poop on your campsite without cleaning it up and other better hidden sites with dogs tied up. The biggest part of the warning that frustrated me was that I wasn’t told directly. Instead I saw the lady comping through the site and asked could I help her (she stuck the warning on the door) even though I was clearly there and she saw me multiple times going to the laundry, strolling around with the dogs, etc. Approaching me directly about a rule violation or a complaint from a fellow camper (as I assume is what sparked the warning), etc would have been much more preferred. The playground is small but in good working condition and has an infant swing which is nice. Laundry area is sufficient and easily accessible. Some camp sites have old picnic tables and look run down but you can tel they are slowly switching them out. We stayed at a deluxe site (C15) with a fire pit, swing, outdoor seating, etc right on the end of a row. This appeared ideal until we saw all the foot traffic that came by with their multiple dogs (sometimes as many as 2/3 per person). If there has to be a next time, we would select the deluxe spot a little further up from C15, towards the middle of that row. We also believe some the the foot traffic came from the neighboring trailer park. The general area of the camp ground is very accessible to grocery stores, restaurants and convenience stores. There is a lot of noise from the highway, airplanes (which my son and husband love) and workers getting up early (5:30am) to go to job sites. During high traffic times, it can take 30-45 min to get to downtown Charleston so be aware. For our next trip to Charleston we will plan more in advance and book early at a different place.

Weird weekend

February 2017. Spent 2 nights with a decent sized group of friends. There was a renaissance fair going on, bunch of people LARPing like it was medieval times. Knights and swords and peasants and stuff. 10/10 would watch again. Creek is fun to float in the summer.

Beautiful with wildlife

Bald eagles,owls,otter, fish. It's beautiful

Santee State park

BE CAREFUL EROSION IS SEVERE IN SECTIONS OF THE PARK. We stayed here for a week to take care of some medical issues. VA healthcare is difficult on the road. Anyway the campground is ok, nothing amazing. The location is nice. They have a boat dock. Cabins and 2 RV camping areas. The bugs are plentiful. The shoreline is difficult to reach from the campground. I see the lots are mowed after the campers leave. The grass gets mowed and anything left on the ground gets chopped up, small trash included. When we arrived with our RV we were neve directed to check in. We found our site and on the pole was a small tag with our name and a checkout date. We have been here 5 of the 7 days and we have yet to see the camp host unless he IS the "Mad Mower" even so we didnt get as much as a wave. My wife did venture over to the restroom / showers and refuses to return. She said they were not clean and had bugs everywhere and it was disgusting.  I figured she was exaggerating so I checked the men's room. It really needs some help. I would be happy to spray down a bath house or 2 but since I haven't seen a camp host I will leave it be. It's amazing how much fellow campers will help out if they have the opportunity,  I was ready to help and even have everything needed to help out. Maybe I will see him this weekend before I get busy with other things. Anyways this came was not a bad experience so far but I think they really need some better hosts and maybe set up some kind of activities. They have nothing going on here other than the lake. UPDATE: Before we left our week stay in santee we were able to visit the other campground connect to the same park to get to this side you must turn right. They were collecting a $2 fee. At 1st everything seemed ok. Minor road damage, downed trees here and there, nothing that 2ould keepme away. It seemed like the permanent camps were here. Some of the camps appear to have been set up for a very long time. As we went back the roads got worse and worse. I would not take my rig into the back 2 loops without locking in 4 wheel drive and riding on the "grass" to go around. The road in the back has some major road erosion going on. I suggest you walk back before taking a rig of any size back there. With the leaves on the ground it does not look bad. I saw drops of at least 12" BE VERY CAREFUL, THE ROAD EROSION IS SEVERE.

Dirty

Felt like this was a location where several out of town workers camp - just seemed less family friendly. It’d work as a pit stop but I wouldn’t go back again. The Mt. Pleasant KOA is a much better bet for the fam.

Perfect

We had a great site and was surprised how much room for a KOA. Loved being able to explore the city with the help and guidance of the staff. Our fave was the wagon ride to the plantation next door.

Great spot near downtown Charleston

Near downtown Charleston. Easy to get in and out. Reasonable rates. Near everything around Chai.

Stayed just before hurricane

We stayed at Lake Aire the week before labor day.  Staff was great and so was the park.   Had a great time while visiting Charleston area.     We had. 50 amp site for our coach and it was clean.  Bathroom nearby was very clean.   Playgrounds which we did not use look nice and safe

We will return when we are in the area again

Fred