Bonneau Beach, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Bonneau Beach Camping Reviews
Book Elsewhere in Advance

I agree with the other reviewer. My opinion is very strong about this place but will try to stick with facts. If you have to stay overnight due to traveling through, this would be adequate. A lot of the campers are there for work and are more permanent. Not super family friendly of a campground. Even though we visited at the beginning of December, it appeared unkept. Unsure what it would be like in the spring/summer. Dirty is how my husband and I described it. Most of the “roads” are paved which works out nice for a stroller. The dog park is a fenced in area only with swing, trash can and picnic table. They do not allow dogs to be tied up. In their words “must have an owner attached”. We have a 90lb Lab and 4 lb Yorkie. During the day, if the weather is nice, the dogs prefer outside on most occasions, as are we. The lab is not aggressive in the slightest bit and doesn’t bark without reason or at all. We received a warning from the campground via a note on the door for him being outside on a short lead to be within their rules. Never mind the yappy other dogs in the park where owners stroll through multiple times a day and allow their dog to poop on your campsite without cleaning it up and other better hidden sites with dogs tied up. The biggest part of the warning that frustrated me was that I wasn’t told directly. Instead I saw the lady comping through the site and asked could I help her (she stuck the warning on the door) even though I was clearly there and she saw me multiple times going to the laundry, strolling around with the dogs, etc. Approaching me directly about a rule violation or a complaint from a fellow camper (as I assume is what sparked the warning), etc would have been much more preferred. The playground is small but in good working condition and has an infant swing which is nice. Laundry area is sufficient and easily accessible. Some camp sites have old picnic tables and look run down but you can tel they are slowly switching them out. We stayed at a deluxe site (C15) with a fire pit, swing, outdoor seating, etc right on the end of a row. This appeared ideal until we saw all the foot traffic that came by with their multiple dogs (sometimes as many as 2/3 per person). If there has to be a next time, we would select the deluxe spot a little further up from C15, towards the middle of that row. We also believe some the the foot traffic came from the neighboring trailer park. The general area of the camp ground is very accessible to grocery stores, restaurants and convenience stores. There is a lot of noise from the highway, airplanes (which my son and husband love) and workers getting up early (5:30am) to go to job sites. During high traffic times, it can take 30-45 min to get to downtown Charleston so be aware. For our next trip to Charleston we will plan more in advance and book early at a different place.

Weird weekend

February 2017. Spent 2 nights with a decent sized group of friends. There was a renaissance fair going on, bunch of people LARPing like it was medieval times. Knights and swords and peasants and stuff. 10/10 would watch again. Creek is fun to float in the summer.

Beautiful with wildlife

Bald eagles,owls,otter, fish. It's beautiful

Santee State park

BE CAREFUL EROSION IS SEVERE IN SECTIONS OF THE PARK. We stayed here for a week to take care of some medical issues. VA healthcare is difficult on the road. Anyway the campground is ok, nothing amazing. The location is nice. They have a boat dock. Cabins and 2 RV camping areas. The bugs are plentiful. The shoreline is difficult to reach from the campground. I see the lots are mowed after the campers leave. The grass gets mowed and anything left on the ground gets chopped up, small trash included. When we arrived with our RV we were neve directed to check in. We found our site and on the pole was a small tag with our name and a checkout date. We have been here 5 of the 7 days and we have yet to see the camp host unless he IS the "Mad Mower" even so we didnt get as much as a wave. My wife did venture over to the restroom / showers and refuses to return. She said they were not clean and had bugs everywhere and it was disgusting.  I figured she was exaggerating so I checked the men's room. It really needs some help. I would be happy to spray down a bath house or 2 but since I haven't seen a camp host I will leave it be. It's amazing how much fellow campers will help out if they have the opportunity,  I was ready to help and even have everything needed to help out. Maybe I will see him this weekend before I get busy with other things. Anyways this came was not a bad experience so far but I think they really need some better hosts and maybe set up some kind of activities. They have nothing going on here other than the lake. UPDATE: Before we left our week stay in santee we were able to visit the other campground connect to the same park to get to this side you must turn right. They were collecting a $2 fee. At 1st everything seemed ok. Minor road damage, downed trees here and there, nothing that 2ould keepme away. It seemed like the permanent camps were here. Some of the camps appear to have been set up for a very long time. As we went back the roads got worse and worse. I would not take my rig into the back 2 loops without locking in 4 wheel drive and riding on the "grass" to go around. The road in the back has some major road erosion going on. I suggest you walk back before taking a rig of any size back there. With the leaves on the ground it does not look bad. I saw drops of at least 12" BE VERY CAREFUL, THE ROAD EROSION IS SEVERE.

Dirty

Felt like this was a location where several out of town workers camp - just seemed less family friendly. It’d work as a pit stop but I wouldn’t go back again. The Mt. Pleasant KOA is a much better bet for the fam.

Perfect

We had a great site and was surprised how much room for a KOA. Loved being able to explore the city with the help and guidance of the staff. Our fave was the wagon ride to the plantation next door.

Great spot near downtown Charleston

Near downtown Charleston. Easy to get in and out. Reasonable rates. Near everything around Chai.

Stayed just before hurricane

We stayed at Lake Aire the week before labor day.  Staff was great and so was the park.   Had a great time while visiting Charleston area.     We had. 50 amp site for our coach and it was clean.  Bathroom nearby was very clean.   Playgrounds which we did not use look nice and safe

We will return when we are in the area again

Fred

Good overnight stop

We stayed here overnight on our way to the beach. The Edisto River runs by the campground and people were fishing. Campground was small but had what we needed to spend the night with a small camp store on site. The only thing bad was it was in August and the evening temps were around 90. Don’t recommend camping in this part of the world in the hottest part of the summer. We motel‘ it on the way back.

Dog Days of Summer

This is simply the best places to camp when visiting Charleston, especially if you have 4 legged family members. The off leash area is fabulous. Bike and walking trails are all paved and flat, no hills. Convienient to beaches and Charleston attractions. Come and relax or go and enjoy. It's hard to get it wrong.

Great camping for fishing lovers

I wish they would stock a little more fish. Great areas of campgrounds. Great water park for kids and everyone. Full hook ups. Small supply store on site.

Quiet and peaceful

Very nice campground. Clean. Great price. Very close to Charleston.

Peaceful setting, great location

I’ve been to Buck Hall several times. Excellent place to trailer your boat, cook over a campfire, and have a shower to wash the salt off at the end of the day. Views of the Intracoastal waterway are nice, watching the variety of boats pass by. The majority of the area is cleared grass, cutting down on bugs. Don’t forget to bring the frisbee! Since this isn’t a state park, they are tolerant to crackin a couple of cold ones. Boat landing is deep enough to drop a large boat into the drink, and cruising up Bulls Bay or heading south towards Dewees. Hiking a section of the Palmetto Trail is a good option for a day out of the sun due to the heavy maritime forest canopy. Best time of the year is Fall, Spring, and Winter. Trailering your boat will force you to pay for an RV site.

Great

Excellent staff and facility. Five stars

Collenton

Fairly open & not too much privacy. Very nice river acces makes up for it, spent nearly all of time at the river or exploring. Trail leading off the campgrounds through the woods is very fun, saw a corn snake and found a geocache.

Nice

Small but nice park on the river

Pretty

Stayed here a lot beautiful setting on the edisto river

Super fun place

Water park in the summer and Festival of Lights in the winter. Clean fun and friendly park.

Keep going back

This campground offers wildlife and great views. We were able to go hiking and kayaking at this park and saw deer while at our campsite in the evenings. We’ve stayed twice now and enjoyed it both times in different sites.

Quiet

I understand the point of this campground.

It is a very large area with no designated campsites. The vault toilet has grass growing around the entrance that is about knee high. There was a water spigot on site that worked. I would filter it first.

No one was there when we showed up for a mid-day lunch and nap!

If it isn’t hunting season this campground may be a good place to check if you need free.

Quick and Quiet

Went for a weekend ride in the forest and chose this campground. It has a vault toilet and 8 sites that are first come first serve. Both Friday and Saturday night there was only one other site spoken for.

It was nice hearing the bull frogs in the overnight as well as the owls. Ensure you have some type of insect repellent as the mosquito population is not lacking. Sites are open and have plenty of room.

The picnic tables are made of concrete and are starting to show signs of aging. I don’t recall seeing running water anywhere on site, doesn’t mean there isn’t.

If you are looking for a free place to camp close to the coast or right off a forest road, you found it!

Peaceful

For our first time camping in our RV the staff was very friendly and helpful. The crew escorted us to our campsite, made sure we where happy. This was done with anyone who came in to camp.

If you don’t feel like cooking, order their awesome pizza, wings and they will deliver it to you by golf cart.

Our trash was picked up every morning. Campsite, pool and laundry area was kept clean.

We had an awesome view from our campsite of Santee Lake. We definitely will be coming back!

We loved it!

Our family of five was able to do hiking, boating, and geocaching! We love this place so much :-)

Great state park

Had a great time hiking and fishing

Small quiet campground

Not much to do here. Close to the interstate and right on the Edisto River. There are about 25 sites and some are very small and very unlevel. One bath house at the entrance to the campground

Right on the Edisto River

Small campground not far from Charleston and very close to Bee City Zoo. This campground has several shelters one with a fireplace at both ends. The tent camping area is awesome and has a great layout with lockable chuck boxes on each site along with power and water. There are several large fields to let the kids run wild. There are also a few hike in sites in the very back with some bathrooms.

Great campground

They have 2 different campgrounds one which has been updated. We have stayed here several times and have enjoyed it every time. They have a few trails to hike. Both campgrounds are on Lake Marion. There is a little BBQ restaurant called Lone Star right outside the park that is pretty good. Bathhouses are in decent shape.

Lovely stay

Lovely campground, the office workers are very friendly. There are a few full timers there who are always friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this RV park.

Fun Park Near Charleston

If we had more time then we would have stayed longer to enjoy the lake and more. We pulled in late in the afternoon and then headed right into the city. There were a few sites remaining when we got there but virtually no one in the back lot tent area. They have a large tent only area and big parking area. They could do something to cater to van campers with their big lot out back. The showers were nice and they had a nice park and splash pad next to the pond. They have a nice game room, some yard games, and other amenities. Hookups at all the sites except for the tent area.

Just OK.

Bathrooms nasty. Rough roads. Nice lake.