Arial, SOUTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Arial Camping Reviews
Asheville Mountain Camping

Great location, close enough to visit Asheville and hike the best Pisquah trails. The facilities were really nice, the staff friendly, and the camping lots were well kept and very well spaced. The area was open enough to not feel over crowded. Definitely will visit again.

River Vista was a great place to camp.

We had a great trip to River Vista.  We had a great spot with full hookups including cable TV.  River Vista does offer free WiFi but had sporatic coverage in some areas.

we had a

Cozy little hideaway

Perfect little campground not far from downtown Sylva. Lots of amenities beautiful views.

Nice park with some nice hiking.

It’s a nice state park with two lakes and nice hiking past waterfalls. We had a spot for our popup behind the wash house which was very clean btw. Site was shaded with a firepit. Closest town for things you forget is about 30 min away. It rained all weekend but we enjoyed ourselves anyway. There were all kinds of campers here from tents - million dollar rigs. Roads into the camping area had some “s” type turns. From the website: Camping Information: The park provides a 69-site camping area, located near the park entrance, and a 25-site camping area, located near White Oaks picnic area. Each site has individual water and electrical hookups, and picnic table. Some sites accommodate RVs up to 40 feet. Both campgrounds are convenient to restrooms with hot showers.

Willis Knob Horse Camp

There are nine campsites.  Sturdy highline posts are provided but you need to bring your own ropes and other highland gear. Vault toilets are provided but no shower facilities. Campsites each offer electric and water hookups, nice tent pads, lantern hooks, and big picnic tables. This is a very nice horse camp facility. Well maintained and clean. Trails are wonderful and well-constructed to avoid deep mud. My only complaint is the lack of really good, accurate trail maps to print out and carry with you of the horse trails on both the Georgia and South Carolina sides of the river. This is my new favorite mountain horse camp.

It's my favorite State Park in SC.

It's a nice, quiet campground. The bathhouses are good. Lots of activities. Kayaking, boating, great hiking/biking trails, and lots of area of horses. Every 3rd Saturday they have house competitions that are held there. We were in campsite 8 this time. Nice and level with water and electric.

Primitive, Dispersed Camping in a National Forest with No Modern Amenities

When you want to camp away from the crowds and do not mind being without running water, electricity, toilets, showers, or any other amenities that you find at developed campgrounds, this one is for you … maybe. I say maybe because when I stayed there, I heard and saw pickup trucks until the wee hours of the morning. Since the campsites are along a dirt road in a national forest, miles away from civilization, it can be intimidating if not scary at times. I camped by myself and felt isolated (which is a good thing), and the scenery is great. You will be beside a rushing creek, and the sound of the creek is relaxing. If you want a little more security, you can camp a tenth of a mile away at Sunburst Campground, which is a developed national forest campground. The pros of these campsites are that they are peaceful (most times), they are in the heart of the mountains, they are only a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway, they are between Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness, and there are plenty of trails. The cons are that previous campers have left a lot of trash and since it is dispersed camping, it is not picked up on a regular basis. Other cons are the late night cars and/or trucks, the lack of amenities, and that you have to cross a spillway to get to it. Despite all the cons, I got through it okay and really did enjoy my time there.

Campfires, hiking and beer

We stayed for a week late October and loved it! We had a pull thru and full hookups. We hiked with our dogs and went into downtown Asheville almost every day.

Tallulah Gorge is beautiful!

Tallulah Gorge is located in the far north east corner of Georgia. The campground is pretty tight, and difficult to maneuver with a large RV. The campground is managed by Georgia Power, and the Sites are right on top of each other. (To maximize revenue.) They do have water and electric and some with full hookups. There is a dump station and a small store for basic stuff. There are several nice hikes, including one along the bottom of the gorge that requires a free permit. They are limited, so secure one early if you want to hike there. The suspension bridge across the Gorge is a must, but there are a LOT of steps!

Cute, homey, close to many nice hikes.

This campground is very nice. Sites are close and it does feel a little tight, but overall it is a homey feel that doesn't really feel overcrowded. Some of the amenities are spread out and you may need to drive to them, but it's worth it for the great, well-cared-for feel. Super quick drive to Dupont or Jones Gap/Caesar's Head. We loved it!

Lovely, family-friendly

This campground is family friendly. You feel very safe walking around. I have visited in fall; you do need to drive to most hiking trails unless you want to add a good bit of a walk to your hike. Campsites are close but do not feel overcrowded.

Beautiful, good for beginner backpacking trips

This was my first backpacking trip without a guide. The trail was relatively short, but the hills were bigger than expected. However, the payoff at the trailside campground is incredible. The sites are out on a point on Lake Keowee. It doesn't feel truly wild (you can see houses and a golf course across the lake), but the sunsets and sunrises are beautiful. You can hear boats while you are there. We went in the fall, but in the warmer months the swimming opportunities would be great!

Tightly packed but beautiful

I've stayed in the regular drive-in spots as well as the walk-in spots at this campground. Most recently, I stayed in the walk-in tent spots with a large group. There was enough space that we did not feel that we were encroaching on other groups, though when I've stayed in the other spots it feels cramped. Walking to the bathroom from the walk-in spots is a long walk and parking is limited. It is very cute, old-fashioned, and family-friendly.

Best of Pisgah Forest

My family and friends have been going here for years and it has always been an excellent base camp for the area. Great for kids of all ages, tubing down the Davidson river, fish for trout, some of the best single track trails on the east coast, outstanding hiking trails, cultural events, Oskar Blues brewery just down the road, excellent eats abound.

Serenity

Went to scope out this little section of Pisgah this weekend; the weather had been a deterrent for most and we didn’t run into a single other person on the trail. The road that runs along the South Toe River is flat and well maintained; it was closed so we hoofed it a ways. We stumbled upon what appeared to be an abandoned ranger station, and spent most of the afternoon lazily lounging along the river. The roadside campsites are a little overgrown but certainly enticing, and most are close enough to the water that one could cast a line from their tent. The only downfall was that the parking lot is still under construction, and the road is currently closed, making for limited access from Burnsville. I can’t wait to go back.

Clean, beautiful, friendly, peaceful,

This campground is very beautiful, the staff are friendly, the bath houses are very clean. There is an amphitheater where they host event on occasion, one of the trails leads to a historic grave site with headstones, there is an old chapel off one of the trails that's still in use. There are camping loops with electricity and loops without. There is a large open field to play in. And a nice swimming hole, and tubing the river is so much fun. There are also a lot of good trails and places to visit that are in very close proximity to the campground, such as the fish hatchery, and several stunning waterfalls and sliding rock.

Campground

We went with friends 10 years ago when they had a pop up camper. It was a lot of fun. Met lots of people and I got hit in the eye ball with a football because I was having a lot of fun. Had a bbq grill to grill burgers steaks whatever you want to grill. You can fish there too. I love the experience I would go back. It’s far from me now.

Beautiful state park, cramped campground

Tallulah Gorge is beautiful and often crowded, and the regular campsite is no exception. Next time, we’ll opt for a hike in backcountry spot for sure.

All the amenities and bells and whistles you need are available in the campsite but we found it cramped and loud. We knew everything our neighbors were doing and vice versa. There are good hikes from the campsite and the sites are in good shape. We had a nice time finding a dark spot to stargaze and did have room to hang our hammocks.

If you can’t get a gorge floor permit, our favorite hike is just 10 min down the road at Panther Creek Falls.

Scenic campground

Good old camping reminds me of my childhood not alot to do except tubing and camping

Fun and family friendly

This is a great campground to camp with ur family. They have swimming, a little zip line .My then 7 year old played on it all day they even have a game room.

Amazing campground

Lake Powhatan campground is well maintained and peaceful. Bathrooms are clean and there's hot showers. Firewood and ice are available for purchase by the gate. There's a good amount of trails to hike at and the lake is good for fishing. We enjoyed our 2 days camping in here. All the rangers are nice and friendly. We stayed at hard times loop, site 68.

Beautiful Mountain campground

This campsite was awesome. We stayed at hike in tent site A and had a great time. The view was beautiful and the staff was very helpful. All the trails here are very nice too.

Sumter national forest is so beautiful

Such a beautiful place to camp, fish and hike! They have hike in campsite in the park as well as the trail and even secluded drive-in campsites. Only downfall is that it's becoming a little too popular with teens (and/or immature adults). We've been there on a few occasions where there's been an issue of loud noises, illegal hunting, and bags of trash being left behind. please take care of our parks!

Falls creek trail hike

We did a short day hike to check out the camp sites and look at the waterfalls. We went on the weekend and was pretty late start so we did have to wait a good while to be let in the park - minor annoyance but it was OK. The trails and the park are so very well kept up! Was a beautiful day and hike. We are definitely coming back and looking into getting the year pass since it's so close to home.

August 2018 - OK park but Fire Ant infestation

It's a really great park. We stayed in the rustic tent site T8, and was quite surprised it had a water spicket (faucet) for easy water access. (Something we may have overlooked as a site feature, as it was our first visit). Our only complaint was the entire campsite was one large fire ant hill! We had to travel to the local dollar general to get ant spray to help with the infestation. We only camp rustic so we're used to bugs but this was insane. Every step we took or every place we sat would soon be swarmed with ants as that's what fire ants do. Once we sprayed the area we were finally able to safely enjoy our campsite. The view was wonderful! Besides the ants it was a fantastic campsite! (BTW I would not recommend hammock camping here as the ants were also on a lot of trees, ropes we had were covered when we took them down) Will provide photos I took off all the rustic sites: T3 - T8

One of my favorite trails in Georgia

Panther Creek was honestly my trip into the world of hiking and backpacking (aside from my military experience). But mice wife got me into hiking again and now we are backpacking a lot! Panther Creek has become probably my favorite place for a great weekend. The hike in campsites are plentiful and most already have fire rings. The trail is well maintained and always clean. Lots of great views here! The falls are a great spot to string up a hammock and just enjoy nature to the fullest. This place is pet friendly and you will see a lot of friendly pups on the trail. At the trailhead you do have s bathroom for those that don’t plan to stay overnight or just want the convenience. Overall Panther Creek is a must see must hike!