the dyrt
Arial, SOUTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Arial Camping Reviews
Great camping, close to Asheville with awesome mountain biking trails

We stayed here on a road trip for a trail race in Brevard in early December. Campground was fairly empty. Site was spacious, with a fire ring and picnic table. Bathroom facilities were great, with free hot showers. Close proximity to Asheville, with its many restaurants and breweries, and very close to the Blue Ridge Parkway as well. We used this as a jumping off point to do some hiking along the blue ridge, with some local beers afterward.

The campground is in the Bent Creek experimental forest, which has some really great trails for mountain biking, hiking, and trail running. We have mountain biked here before and loved it. We didn't check out much of the lake, as it was cold when we were there. Really liked this campground!

Ranger Review: Escape Campervans at Davidson River Campground

Campground Review

Davidson River is a really nice campground located in the Pisgah National Forest in Brevard. There are several sites that are right along the river. There is a short walking trail within the camgpground, and the Art Loeb trail starts right at the beginning of the campground as well. There are miles and miles of hiking/running and mountain biking trails in the surrounding area, as well as numerous waterfalls. The campground is less than a mile from The Hub bike shop/Pisgah Tavern, a great bike shop offering rentals also, and several breweries are nearby - check out Ecusta and Oskar Blues!

Our site was very spacious. We stayed in Late November/ early December, so there weren't leaves on the trees but the site was still pretty private. There are only 3 loops of the campground open in the off season. The bathroom facility for the loop was open and there were showers (free and hot) and the camp host was very friendly and helpful and had firewood for sale. Campground was very quiet. Very convenient starting point for trail adventures in the area! Campground was quiet in the off season, but definitely not empty.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - I was lucky enough to be able to take an Escape Campervan out on a camping road trip for a trail race that started at this campground.

Escape Campervans have become my favorite way to travel! The vans are small enough to maneuver in cities and to trailheads, and can be parked in a normal parking spot. Click here to see the different models they offer. There is something for everyone! The vans include….

• A kitchen area in the back, with a 2 burner propane stove, sink (5 gallon fresh water tank), and a drawer fridge. Dishes, pots, pans included. Just pull up, hop out, and get cooking! The dometic drawer fridge is fantastic, keeps things super cold and can fit a TON! (way more than it looks).
  • Seats inside fold down to a bed. Add a rooftop tent to the top and bring your friends! (or just sleep up top, and don't worry about converting the seats to a bed. Both beds are really comfortable, and the ladder up to the rooftop sleeper is super easy to use. Bedding included (sheets, pillows, and duvet with cover).
  • Plenty of extras. You can add on (for additional cost) and e-z up tent/awning, small picnic table, bike rack, rooftop tent, and more.

We have traveled as a couple and a group of four adults, and had an awesome time. The vans fit in anywhere. From boondocking in the wilderness to established campgrounds or RV parks, pull up, park, and have fun!

I really can't recommend Escape Campervans enough. From adventurous singles/couples to small families, they are the BEST way to explore.

For more pictures and a more in-depth tour of the Mavericks version of the van, check out one of my blog posts here: http://adventuresneaker.com/2017/01/04/escape-campervan-review/

September Camper

I've been here twice and enjoyed both my stays. The bathrooms are clean. The sites are clean. The hosts are very friendly. It's quiet during the week. On the weekends it can be a little noisy but not a bad noisy. Mainly kids squealing laughing and just being kids. I would definitely recommend camping here.

Beautiful Trails and Falls, Barebones Campgrounds

My girlfriend and I camped at Gorges State Park for a few days in October of 2017. The trails are excellent and they were in great condition when we visited. The waterfalls are beautiful and it isn't a very strenuous hike to Rainbow Falls.

Camping seems to be hit or miss. The campsites aren't bad, but during our stay the privy pit was nearly unusable, so we dug our own. The access road to the campsite trail was closed as well, so the hike to the campsite from the parking lot felt closer to 3 miles. Given the lack of amenities and the distance to the Raymond Fisher campgrounds, I'd advise that you snag one of the primitive backcountry sites instead. They are situated along the main trail to Rainbow Falls, and almost every backcountry site was in a nice spot with easy access to the stream. Be aware that many of these backcountry sites are directly adjacent to the trail, and hikers will probably pass by your campsite.

If you are camping, expect bears. I don't know if this is still an issue, but we had a bear messing with our stuff every night. It didn't exactly bother us, but we did have to hang our trash and food far from the campsite while we slept. It made us a little nervous because we were the only campers there and you are miles from your car, but it didn't come close enough to our tent to really frighten us.

That being said, we had an incredible time and would definitely return. Despite being in a state park campground it still felt very secluded, and we felt that all the set backs made it more of an adventure.

Nice Campground

We stayed here over the summer and really enjoyed it. It is prime location to downtown chimney rock and lake lure beach/water park. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We had a site that was covered and that was nice to have. We were right on the river so the sound was serene and sight was beautiful. Definitely plan on returning again for another trip.

Beautiful hidden Gem

This campground is very beautiful and peaceful. It has trails, a little beach to swim, and a wonderful playground. The bathrooms were beautiful. Lots of waterfalls nearby to explore and a beautiful winery nearby. Our family loves this park. The park ranger is very helpful and kind. A must visit.

Wonderful Campground

This is a very beautiful campground. Sites are very well kept and clean. Bathrooms were very clean and nice. The staff was amazing and helpful. Prime location to so many amazing places. The pool was nice and clean! Will def. camp here again.

Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

Family friendly lakeside camping

I have camped across the US in tents, camper, or just the back of my truck. I have been a campground host at Ralph Andrews Park for several years. This is one of the best campgrounds that I have ever stayed in. It is small, only 38 campsites. It has a few full RV hookups, 10 or so el/water sites&12 or so primitive. Campground is located on Glenville Lake (aka Thorpe Reservior) which is the highest elevation lake east of the Rocky Mts. The Lake is a TVA lake built in 1941 and is 4 miles long The gates are locked from 10pm until 8am which reduces any drive-through traffic and increases safety. The staff are helpful and friendly and the campground is well maintained. Reservation for coming season (2019) now open

Great

Good and spacious. Depending of what sites you choose some have water and electricity.. there is a store that sells wood and a diversity of items in case you forgot something (opens until 8). Good trails and views! Well marked so you don’t get lost.

Scout camp ground

We have camped here once so I have not seen the whole park. Be the group Primitive area is great on the left side of the area. The right side has been over used and the ground has washed and the only place to Pitch a tent is on camping pads that are on the small size for a large groups. But all in all the park is well Kept and Bathhouse well Maintain. The park is Very beautiful. Great for large groups.

The Little Gem Where the Blacktop Ends

Just a stone’s throw from the bustle of Asheville, yet secluded enough to forget it all, this little gem is conveniently located at the entrance to Pisgah National Forest.

I went camping here on November 2nd, just after half of the campground closes for the off season. Usually starting at $22 per night, after November 1st the prices get cut in half, so I stayed for $11 (hard to beat)! To pay you fill out a permit envelope, tear off the receipt, include your payment and insert it into a mailbox of sorts. Make sure to bring a writing utensil (I forgot one, but luckily my neighbors let me borrow theirs). You then simply place the receipt portion in the provided zip-lock bag on the number post in front of your site. Check-out time is noon.

Each site comes with a gravel platform for your tent, picnic table, bear box, and a fire pit with a grill top. I opted to set up my backpacking tent in the bed of my pickup, but the site was very clean and well maintained. The host made rounds in the evening and the following morning, and was very approachable and informative, and even gave out weather predictions for the coming days to those who asked. The bathroom facilities may be limited in the off-season due to being unheated, but they were open during my stay, and shower facilities are available during the regular season.

I had a blast enjoying the peace and serenity of the woods, smelling the autumn spice of decaying leaves and campfires, and listening to the babbling river that runs through the center of campground. The other occupants were quite mellow, with no unwanted noise or partying (not that it would be a deal breaker, everyone camps a little differently). In the morning I took a stroll through the recreation area and got to see the group sites; everything was pristine and gorgeous in the gleaming yellow sunlight. My pooch also enjoyed the area, and I was grateful for the free bags to pick up after her.

I would recommend this little spot to anyone looking for a quick getaway from the traffic and humdrum of the nearby townships, as well as visitors to the park. Hiking trails, fishing and hunting opportunities, and scenic waterfalls are all nearby, making the location prime. A big chain grocer is also just a 10 minute drive up the road, making it easy to grab last minute items you may have forgotten. I look forward to returning!

Fun Little Trail

This trail was lots of fun! My friend and I decided to go here on a whim and it didn’t disappoint. There are lots of features to this camp and the surrounding trails such as waterfalls, rock outcroppings, cable crossings, and access to Caesar’s Head trails. My favorite thing about the boy/Girl Scout campsites was that it was along a river and was very large. It would be a great campsite for those who have a big group or just like the space. The only thing I didn’t like about the campsites was that it was visible from the trail so offered little privacy from hikers or fellow campers. My word of advice is to not take dogs that can’t swim across the river; we saw a few couples who struggled to carry their pooches across the cable.

RV site in a fun area

First off this is really just a campground for RVs and you wouldn’t want to drive in and stay in a tent here. However, for that purpose it is a nice site and located in a great area. Right along the Cullasaja rive you have easy access to swimming and boating or you can drive a mile or two up the road and get to some amazing swimming holes with cliff jumping and natural water slides. The area is really beautiful year round though best in the summer when you can cool off from the hot days by getting in the water. The campground itself has many of the amenities you would want while RV camping such as full hook up and picnic benches for hanging out at. They also promote a family friendly environment that seemed to be very welcoming. Overall, their location right along the river and only a few minutes downstream of the amazing swimming makes this a place well worth checking out.

Love!!!

I absolutely loved these primitive campsites and was so bummed when they started to tear them down to make cabins. The campsites are very secluded and right on the lake. The bathrooms are within walking distance and there are also playgrounds, a sand volleyball court, and picnic tables. Make sure to book a few weeks ahead of time if you are camping on a holiday!

So Diverse

This place is so beautiful and offers a variety of things to do. My family and I come here all the time to fish in the rivers. They also have a lot of nearby hiking/biking trails for all skill levels. I would give it 10 stars if I could!

Worth it just for the view

I live roughly 10 minutes from Table Rock and go there all the time especially during the summer. The Table Rock trail is a must if you are nearby! It is pretty strenuous especially if you have health issues but is well worth the trek to the top. Just make sure that if you hike during the winter to give yourself plenty of time to finish the trail and to wear good trail shoes since ice can be expected. The campsites are always very well kept; as is the park in general but gets pretty crowded.

It was so nice we stayed here 2 years in a row

This was a nice, clean and super relaxing place! Loved it!

very pretty cg on a pristine river (great trout fishing), convenient to gas

very nice cg, convenient to gas/grocery. a pristine river runs thru it,

with excellent trout fishing. very helpful host, campsites afford privacy (most).

has all amenities in a very pretty setting but OVERCROWDED !

don't go on weekends in nice weather…it's too crowded and

campsites are crowded together, privacy lacking.

Backwoods camping and nice trails

Paris mountain is a personal favorite of mine and take any chance to go. This is a great dog friendly park with clean trails, plenty of parking, and friendly staff. Now is the time to go as it is less crowded and and the leaves are changing color.

Very Secluded

I absolutely love this campground! It’s a bit of a longer hike to get to the primitive campsites but is worth its since it’s along a river for the most part and the sites are not that close to each other either. I haven’t seen many people camping during the winter months, although during the summer and fall it gets booked quickly. But make sure to call ahead of time because every time that we have called short notice they have been closed or booked. Nearby the visitor center are the bathrooms and fish hatchery (all of which are kept very clean).

Hidden Gem

This place is wonderful! My friend and I hiked the Raven Cliff Falls loop trail a while back and have added it to our list of top 10 favorite trails. I was really bummed about the removal of the cable crossing, but still loved the trail due to climbing ladders and walking along The Cathedral! I strongly suggest wearing waterproof hiking boots/trail runners as there is lots of water on the trail and because the Dismal Trail is a steep climb to the lookout.

alright

its a good place to stay for a few days a lot to see and beautiful views.

amazing!!

some of the greatest views in Georgia! this place is a great place to explore and sight see! surrounded by a small town its great to go and see what the town holds!

Great Weekend Trips

There are 3 trailside primitive campsites that are on a peninsula overlooking Lake Keowee. Although only one of them is considered on the shore, they are all within walking distance (down a little hill) from the shore. But make sure to check the water level; I’ve had to help push boats back into the water a few times and there has also been instances when our canoe floated off when the water rose. Parts of the trail feature waterfalls and overlooks onto the lake which is a great photo opportunity. Apart from hiking in, there is a canoe/kayak ramp available about 1/2 mile to the campsites. There is also a rentable cabin, paved primitive/RV campsites, and a bath house available.

Strenuous but absolutely worth it

The hike was a little more intense than I thought it would be. We took the shorter more direct trail and I definitely recommend taking that one, setting up camp, and then exploring more. Sunsets and sunrises over the lookout points were gorgeous and absolutely worth the trip.

Favorite Spot

There are so many campsite available through Jocassee. Currently my favorite campsites lie off of the Canebrake Trail and connect with the Foothills Trail. My family and I mainly hike to the first-come-first-serve campsites but there are also a lot of boaters tying off at the shoreline. It features two bridges and a waterfall/river. The reservable campsites right across from the concession building on the other side of the lake are also well kept and are considered drive-in which is useful if you plan to stay only a few days, but they are too close to one another for my taste. I would recommend reserving campsites plenty of time ahead as it gets filled up quickly, especially on holidays and during the summer.

Hiking, fishing & Dillard, GA

Black Rock Mountain SP is Georgia’s highest elevation park. It’s located on the Eastern Continental Divide, in Rabun County, in The Blue Ridge Mountains. The road up into the park is very steep, narrow and winding, so large RVs could have trouble. There are 2 camp loops. The front one is on a hill, sites are small and tight. But, they are in a grove of rhododendrons, which is nice in spring. To get to the 2nd loop you drive along the side of the mountain. These sites are larger, and mostly level. There is a fishing lake, hiking and wildlife. And, there is the Dillard House!

Fall Vacation

The campground is pretty old. That said the showers are warm and there’s a flush toilets, so it beats a straddle trench in Afghan, but not a penthouse master bath in Asheville.

There’s numerous sites, and they are now available online to reserve through recreation.gov.

We stayed on campsite # 11 which abuts against a small creek. Each site has its own grill pit and a grate that swings out over the the Pitt as well.

The campground was probably 80% occupied and seemed like it could be a possible base camp for some hunters. The only bad thing was, there were some loud kids screaming at six in the morning, I came to get solitude so this and the prison style all metal toilet are the only reason I gave it 4 stars.

There was one trail that myself and my better half went down. It was about 3 miles. We just wanted to take it easy, so we didn’t go on the foothills trail about 1 mile or so away on the same road the campground is on. It’s hard to see, but it it has one or two parking spots on a turn off for it. On the way out we saw hikers going in from there so it is probably a popular headway.

All in all we had a great time, the ranger/ host had firewood available for sale (20pieces and some kindling for 10$)would definitely go back, and keep exploring the area for overnights and stay here as a base camp.