Hughesville, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Hughesville Camping Reviews
Secluded, beautiful and close to many wonderful hikes

This is one of my favorite campgrounds to stay at in Western North Carolina. The site we chose to stay at was recommended because it was secluded, but also close to the restroom and check in (which came in handy because ended up staying an extra two nights). The campsite itself was spacious and we were able to enjoy many fires and even came with a bear proofing box, first campsite I had stayed in with one on site. They had clean restrooms and showers and friendly staff to help us find the perfect spot. I will definitely be back for more hiking adventures and to enjoy the before mountains that surround the campsite!

Great place to camp.

A great place to camp and spend time with family and friends, you can enjoy lots of trails and explore the woods, and also a great place to enjoy the night sky, see the stars and the Milky Way in the summer months.

Small but all you need in one stop!

Our family loved the modern cabins which are available in my of Pennsylvania's state parks. I'd rank any other park that we visit with a five star rating. The staff at other parks will let my family check in before 3:00pm if the cabin is ready.The swim area is one of the best around. Playgrounds are fun& the snack stand is a little expensive, but delicious!I think we picked the week with the most rain of the year to camp but it was still a lot of fun. The hike around the lake is not that long and a pretty easy walk. We did it with a 5 year old and he had no complaints. The nature talks were really fun for the kids and interesting for the adults.

Splash Magic Review

Splash magic is a great family campground with tons of amenities. There is a great water park as well as adults only pool for those wanting a break from the little ones. Give it a try!

Rustic

Small sites with porta potty’s, did not stay found another campground

Best campground for the fall

Clean family friendly and walking distance to the overlook of the Grand Canyon. Bathrooms are clean and well maintained. Sites are large with plenty of room. Park Rangers are kind and available if needed. Kid area playground.

Waterfalls!!

The biggest draw to this state park (which no one in Pennsylvania I spoke with seemed to know about) is the 22 waterfalls! We saw 18 of them on a four-mile moderate hike, but if you want to see the additional four, you could make it a seven-mile hike. The trails are very well marked.

We stayed in the large loop, which is a peninsula on Lake Jean. Many of the sites have lake views. The bathhouse was clean but not adequate for 73 sites. The campground was about ¾ full and there was often a wait in the bathroom. Showers looked reasonable but I did not use them.

There were many tent campers in this loop, which does not allow pets (the other, smaller loop does allow pets). There are no hookups at all in the park. The water had been tested earlier in the season and unsafe levels of manganese were detected. All water spigots were shut off and covered but we were told it was safe to wash our dishes and brush our teeth. However, the water for the dishwashing sink was turned off as well as the water in the restroom at the trailhead. Since we had a reservation, we received a phone call in advance of our stay letting us know about this.

There are trails to the beach, but we woke to rain the next morning, so we did not explore this.

One trash/recycle area a distance away from the campsites which seems typical for PA state parks. Alcohol is strictly forbidden– we were warned that if a ranger saw any alcohol outside of our vehicle, we would be cited. Quiet hours are 9 pm– 8 am, which is more restrictive than other state parks, however, some did not observe these quiet hours (a guitar-playing singing camper thought he was talented, but I disagree!)

Fun weekend

My family of 4 tent camped here for the weekend. Everyone at this campground was so friendly and nice. The staff really tried to make our stay comfortable. I noticed there was always a staff member driving around in a golf cart, checking on things. The bathrooms were very clean and maintained the whole weekend. The firewood sold at the camp store was only$5 for a large bundle and burned very well. Some campgrounds seem to sell "wet" wood that is hard to light. My only negative comment would be this is more of an RV park. If you do tent camp you should know you will be out in the open, no trees around your site and NO privacy. I will say the tent sites are huge and you can park 2 cars at each one. We made the best of it. We stayed in site 404

Love this area!

We were only able to stay 3 days. We will return!!! Such a nice setting. We could hear the river rapids from our campfire. The visitor center ranger, Al, was exceptional!!! There’s so much to do in the area.

Beautiful starry skies & trails!

Only was able to spend one night here but I’m excited to return ASAP! The night skies were beautiful (starry starry night w/little light pollution) and trails galore leading directly from the campground. Bathrooms were clean as well- an added bonus!

Beautiful. Quiet. Fun.

We stayed here with friends and had a lovely time. The campground was maybe only 1/2 full and the camp sites near us were empty so we had a very quiet and peaceful weekend. The creek and river are perfect for curious little ones to explore. Great fishing spot. The walk to the tunnel is quick and easy for all ages. Beautiful spot. We will go again.

One of our favorites

This place is great! Always end our season here. The Halloween weekends are the best.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak at Knoebels Campground

Campground Review: Knoebels campground is very expansive and has sites named after various states and countries. For this trip we stayed at Bermuda site#6. The sites are very clean and come with a power hookup, picnic table, and fire ring. In addition to the campsites you have access to the campsite bathrooms which also have showers. They’re nothing special but they get the job done and are cleaned daily by staff. The campsites themselves are also honestly nothing special, they’re a little packed but surprisingly all of the campers are respectful and adhere to written quiet hours. What makes this place shine is its location. It’s nestled in the mountainside and just steps away from the main attraction, Knoebels Amusement Resort. This place is a throwback and hits all of the right notes. On the weekends you pay per ride, they have wooden roller coasters which consistently rank as the top in the country. There’s also a carousel that dates back 100 years, on the carousel if you ride on the outside they have brass rings that you can retrieve with the goal of collecting as many as you can. The food at the park is awesome and ranges from pizza to pierogis and everything in between. In addition to the rides they have a stream fed pool with water slides which was a great way to cool off on the hot days that we were there. The park itself is a 10/10 and a great place to make memories with your family. After a full day at the park it was great to get back to the campsite, make a fire, and crack a beer. I’ll be coming here with family for years to come.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. On this particular trip I tested the Home Free Hat by Banner& Oak. Banner & Oak is very much a brand committed to being environmentally conscious, celebrates the outdoors, and puts out stellar products.  Full disclosure: I have a monster collection of hats and this hat rates near the top in terms of construction and aesthetic. The Home Free gets a 5/5 in my books and will be a mainstay in my rotation.

For more information and to purchase one for yourself check out the hat at their website: https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/home-free-navy

Quiet and well kept

We stay at lake glory every year while visiting Knoebels.  It’s so much quieter than Knoebels campground and so much more room.  We love the creek side sites!  Kids can wade in the water to cool off while parents are chatting and cooking just few feet away.  We have never used the bus to head to the park - but it is one more nice thing they add to help make  your stay relaxing.  Book early….these sites fill fast!

Packed!

If you are first timer and going in for Friday - Sunday weekend camp trip….know this campground will be packed.  We tried to rent kettle bikes for the kids twice during our stay and none where available both times.  We also had people walking thru out campsite all weekend and the common areas had trash laying around.  This campground needs some TLC.   Was our first time and we most likely will not be back.

Small, but busy

Went in April so it was still chilly. Camps sites are a bit close together, but still clean. Was busy even for that time of year, especially he tent sites. Can get a little noisy with how close you your neighbors can be, but not a bad experience overall.

Great weekend!

We are extremely pleased with the campground. We decided to stay here based on it's close proximity to Bucknell University. The staff is friendly, clientele is calm. Lots of well maintained seasonal sites. All the kids flock to the playground. A nice feature is the petting zoo. We will definitely return!

CLOSED

CLOSED

Wonderful campground

Stayed there the August 2-4. Great little campground. Very friendly staff. Minutes away from a town and the gorge. Hiking trail from the campground to the gorge! Highly recommended!!

Beautiful views, clean campground, friendly people. Ice cream, arcade, restaurant and camp store all walking distance away.

Secluded lake

Nice campground, friendly people, camp store and ice cream within walking distance. Lake is nice, smaller but perfect for families and water temp was great.

Will definitely continue to camp here.

Been camping here twice and both times were a lot of fun. It is a wonderful spot, which means it does get crowded but besides that, it's a place I will continue to come back to.

Short weekend adventure

Tail end of our vacation came with a camping trip! We went to riverside and the weather was perfect! The bands were great both nights. We all took the kayaks out on the Susquehanna River that runs behind the property for a sunny paddle. Came back and went to a wine fest, in the park that is right next to the campground, bought some root beer moonshine (which is AMAZING) then ended the night with hamburgers music and a friendly (competitive) game of corn hole. Riverside is such a great place for a short weekend away.

Great Camping & Activities

Surrounded by Lake Jean at the top of Red Rock Mtn, this clean campground offers spacious pads for tents or campers. Lots to do and see nearby: hiking, swimming, horseback riding, and catch & release fishing are all available. Open year round so snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing are also options. I can't wait to go back again!

Small, well kept

We stayed at site 8 which is creekside. It was a large, beautiful site and the sound of the burbling water lulled us to sleep every night. The bathrooms and showers are very clean and modern (tiled, not concrete block for a change). The only downside to the area is the quantity of timber rattle snakes that we encountered, one at our site and one in the woods nearby. Something to keep in mind if you have pets or small children.

Nice campgrounds and personal

Went there this week, very friendly owners and employees and helpful. We had a good time camping and at the pool. They have a nice game room, nice bathrooms with showers. It was Very enjoyable time,and we will be back.

Family Friendly Camping

I chose this campground because the photos of the pool/splash pad looked fun. It turns out the tent site we had was the most wooded and cozy site we have camped in all year. So much room for tents/hammocks. Trees galore. The tent sites were right behind the athletic field where they did activities the weekend we were there (bounce house). The restrooms were fantastic too, the buildings held two complete rooms with a toilet sink and shower in each. It’s the only shower camping this year my 4yr old wasn’t afraid of because we had the whole room to ourselves.

Nice family campground within a short distance to a great amusement park

Plenty of tent, rv spots and cabins too.  The lake is stocked and the fish are always hungry.  10 minutes to Knoebels with the mighty Phoenix.  The best wooden coaster on the planet.  Always a great time at Lake Glory.  We’ve been camping here for 16 years or so… Also, don’t miss The Old Mill Ice Cream.  The best Ice Cream on the planet!  Did I mention that there’s no parking or admission fees at Knoebels?

Not what I was expecting

When I booked this campsite, I was expecting to have access to showers and bathrooms as that is listed as an amenity. What they don’t tell you is there is a filthy outhouse in the tent area and to get to the bathrooms and showers you have to cross 118, which is a well traveled road that has a speed limit of 50mph. Not a fun thing to do while carrying your shower stuff with kids in tow.

Family Camping

Awesome place to camp with family