Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
About Cape Perpetua

Cape Perpetua Campground is nestled along the banks of Cape Creek, within reach of the beautiful Oregon Coast. The campground is esteemed for its incredible location between the forest and the beach, and for its easy access to impressive hiking trails and prime ocean views.

Recreation

Visitors enjoy relaxing on the shore and exploring tide pools. A 23-mile trail system surrounds the campground. Several paths lead through dense, old-growth forests and to rocky coastal overlooks.

Facilities

Many sites in the campground are situated along Cape Creek. Each site is equipped with a picnic table and campfire ring. Flush toilets and drinking water are provided.

The Cape Perpetua Visitor Center is a short, moderate hike from the campground. The center has a phenomenal view of the ocean. A variety of short films are shown in the theater.

The nearest dump station is located in Waldport, about 12 miles north of the campground. Another dump station can be found about 12 miles south at the Carl G. Washburn State Park.

Natural Features

The campground is surrounded by large Sitka spruce, Douglas fir and alder trees within the Siuslaw National Forest. When exploring the area, visitors will find steep cliffs, rolling hills, sand dunes and lush forests. Siuslaw is one of only two national forests bordering the Pacific Ocean.

Nearby Attractions

Heceta Beach is located nearby, giving visitors the opportunity to enjoy the Pacific Ocean.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$23.26 - $125.22
National Forest
Cape Perpetua is located in Oregon
Directions
Campground is located North of Florence, Oregon along Highway 101, 22 miles north of Florence, Oregon and 3 miles south of Yachats, Oregon. Campground is located on the east side of the highway in the Cape Perpetua Scenic area. After turning off Highway 101, take a right at the split with the signed road to the Cape Perpetua Campground.
14 Reviews of Cape Perpetua
The Silence of Crashing Waves

A drive to the top of Cape Perpetua and a jaunt down to the Visitor Center is one of a view most breathtaking. Traveling down the cliffside in the summer, a crazy amount of flowers can be seen. This park is beyond serene.

Privacy little, trails yes!

We liked the site we got(37) and there was a couple more that had some privacy, but most of them were right on the road. If you are "Camping" with a motor home this isn't a big deal, but tent camping makes it a downer(I'll show in pictures). The group site here is huge and has a lot of amenities (sink, electric, tables, and a covered area) 125.00/night.(pictures). The day-use area has one of the best view I've seen on the Oregon Coast.(picture) There is a nice Creek, and nice trails surrounding the place (picture of map) close to ocean and cool stuff like Thor's Well.(picture)

Quintessential Oregon Coast Camping + Gregory Jade 63 Liter Backpack

========== Cape Perpetua ===========

Cape Perpetua is quintessential Oregon coast camping. Essentially just across the street from The People's Coast, beaches, and popular attractions like Devil's Churn, you still get to enjoy the unique forests of sitka spruce and alder that make the Pacific Northwest so special.

The campground at Cape Perpetua shows this off to its best advantage. This campground runs back from Highway 101 to the start of the Spruce Trail that winds further up the headlands. The campground itself is quite level and next to a charming stream, with spacious sites punctuated regularly by clean, well-kept bathrooms.

I appreciated several qualities that set Cape Perpetua apart.

1) The campground hosts were excellent. You could see they are very attentive to the bathrooms, trash, etc, but were never intrusive, just available. You do need exact cash to pay for your site, but if you're a few bucks short like we were after attempting to stay at another campground further south, they'll direct you to a convenient ATM at the general store in Yachats.

2) I love the beach and beach camping, but I'm also a little paranoid about the big Cascadia earthquake we're overdue for. If you're also leery of sleeping in the tsunami zone when you aren't super familiar with evacuation directions for the area, you can rest easy knowing that this campground is outside the tsunami evacuation zone.

3) We had no problem fitting three two-man car camping tents in our site, plus a minivan, with room for camp chairs around the fire pit and all our things over the picnic table. The tent sites have "floors" of soft grass and clover, and many are shaded, or recessed into little alcoves that are very private with low "walls" of ferns and moss. The other sites looked similarly roomy, and even if they're close together you don't feel on top of your neighbors.

4) It's just a few minutes to Yachats proper, where you can enjoy the brewery, ice cream shop, cute boutiques, the general store, etc.

========== Gregory Jade 63 Liter Backpack ===========

As a Dyrt Ranger, I get to review products from time to time. On my trip to Cape Perpetua, I brought my new Gregory Jade 63 Liter Backpack in Mayan Teal along for a test drive. Packing at home, I was already impressed with the attention to detail paid by the design team. Little touches, like the zipper pulls having slight corners that make it easy for your fingers to grip, the shape of the back padding and robust hip belt made with the female body in mind, and the color-coded alligator clips that make it clear how every strap is meant to pair all add up to a great user experience.

The 63 liter pack is robust, with more than enough room for a two-man car camping tent, sleeping bag, ground pad, Primus camp stove kit, first aid kit, water bottle, and odds and ends. It was ideal for this car camping trip, but could easily serve on a backpacking trip, too. Despite the roomy interior, though, it never felt too big or disproportionate for my 5'6, 170 pound frame. On the contrary, it was far more comfortable and intuitive to pack than my old NorthFace pack.

Like many backpacking packs, the Gregory Jade 63 Liter has a bottom compartment that's partitioned off from the main, cavernous interior. That's topped with a "brain" that is accessed by zipper and snaps down with alligator clips. There's a big mesh pocket on the front and two side mesh pockets. Gregory smartly doesn't reinvent the wheel on a basic backpack structure that works, but the beauty is in how well it executes this familiar style. The mesh pockets are breathable, yet slightly opaque, and the fabric is plenty tough and stretchy. The zipper pulls are really easy to manipulate, as I noted above, big enough for your fingers to find them in the dark or even get a finger slotted in there to pull, but not so large they're obnoxious or catch on things.

The back panel is my very favorite. As a Southern girl used to very sweaty summer hikes, I appreciate the way the mesh and the curved back of the pack are separate, offering lots of airflow, without sacrificing support. The hip pads on the Gregory Jade 63 have a lot more structure than I've seen on other packs, and have the same breathable construction, so I know they'll reduce the kind of rubbing Cheryl Strayed wrote about in "Wild" on her hip bones and sacrum and that I've had to put up with in the past, too. You can tell this pack is meant for long treks because the hip belt is far more robust than on Gregory's day packs.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new pack and am confident it will hold up as well as the smaller Gregory Juno 30 liter I use for my daily commuter and weekend bag. A year later it still looks brand new, so I look forward to still sporting this beautiful backpacking pack years down the road and many (comfortable!) adventures later.

Small stream to babble you to sleep

This campsite can be on the pricy side, but it’s probably worth it if you get the right spot, on the river about half way into the campground, across from the second bathroom is the best. Speaking of the bathroom…there is running water, what?! Is it really camping when there is hot water from a faucet??

Lots to hike to around the area. Love this place.

Quiet and Great location, expensive for no hookups

Loved this campground. Very quiet, only hearing the sounds of the creek and wind in trees all day and night. Somewhat expensive for a spot without any hookups ($26/night) but was a great stay. Does not have cell service there, but you can get Verizon service at the Cape Perpetua Visitors Center just up the road, or by using one of the trails from the ground (0.2 miles to visitor center). They have many trails leaving the campground and many in the area. Great spot to stay.

Little privacy but easy access

Smaller campground with campsites that are very close to each other. Nice tree coverage but too close proximity to your neighbors for us!

Quiet, secluded, and seemingly private.

We stopped here on the way down the coast. It was way past dark, and there were a surprising amount of RVs there, which we weren't expecting. But we still managed to find a reserved spot(it was reserved for the next night, and we were planning on leaving first thing to continue South anyways). I was pleasantly surprised by the spot. The firepit was back in the bushes, and the tent site was nearby it. There was a picnic table at our site, and lots of little trails going down to the nearby creek. We almost stayed longer, but we were set on going further down the coast. I wouldn't mind going back at some point, and checking out more of the area and trails.

Secluded spot along the coast

I absolutely loved this campground! It helped that we snagged one of the more secluded campsites. It sat next to a creek and to the left of our site was a trail so it felt like we didn't have neighbors. The campsite was huge also! The campground is a short drive from Yachats and Thor's well. About 40% of the campground is walk in only and sites go quickly!

Nice campground in the forest

This is a nice, quiet campground in the forest near the Cape Perpetua Visitors Center. Has running water and flush toilets.

cape perpetua campground

Most sites are very small. A few are very private - walk down path into shrub protected area - but most are very un-private, also not very flat. Most do not have creek view. Except at trail crossings creek is very overgrown and not accessible for playing in. That said, all the wonderful area activities are true and the campground is adequate. We were there mid July and even early in the week you need to be there early to get one of the non-reservable sites. Even though check in is 2:00, available campsites were usually gone by 1:00. On Friday, all available campsites were taken as others pulled out. About 1/2 the sites are reserve-able.