O'Brien, OREGON

Most Recent O'Brien Camping Reviews
Camping in the redwoods

Loved the redwoods and the river.

Beautiful beach

Can’t beat the beach.

Like a Fairy Wonderland

Jedediah Smith Campground has some of the greenest forest I have ever seen. The forest is so thick and creates awesome privacy. It is backed up to an amazing river that is so blue.

It's tight, but nice

I got there late so it was a tight squeeze. I took the first campsite I saw and never saw another free one while paying. It was not "quiet" but with a full campground I didmt expect it. There is a chance I only found a spot because the spot is smelled strongly of skunk. Regardless, I slept under a redwood and could hear the ocean so it checked my boxes. Also they had great warm showers, water access every couple of sites and toilets.

Best beach camping!

I love this place for the tent camping on the beach. The sites off the beach are great but I couldn’t stay here and not stay on the beach.

Breathtaking Night Sky

Lovely little tent only( i guess you could get a camper up here).

This place was closed for the longest time and i think people forgot it was there when it re-opened.

Every time i have went its just me or one other camper.

Love it, but its bear country so be careful with your food.

The night sky up here is simply breathtaking..wonderful,

Strange and weird

I had always wanted to camp here , so this summer i got my chance.

The place was mostly empty even in July, and there were some strange characters around.

It wasnt paticularly beautiful, but OK i guess.

I dont kno why i just didnt like it here.

Lovely Lake

We were down in Southern Oregon for the Caves.

We stayed in the Heron loop which was the smallest and most primitive, It was wonderful and we had the whole south of the lake to ourselves. Firewood here is not bundled and since it was off season we got a huge amount for$5. The hosts were terrific. This was a wonderful quiet stay.

Will always be back.

This year it was pretty spendy for a tent site $24

RV friendly but 1 or 2 OK tent sites

Camped here one night, using van/tent. I would not usually come to an RV centered camp ground like this but there was little else available in the area. Its a 8 mile drive up a nice windy( paved) road from Brookings so not far from supplies and gas.

I got extremely lucky in that the camp was almost full but i got space#11..which was the best i saw for tent camping. quite private..most of the other spaces are wide open.

Hosts were not noticed..which i like, bathrooms were clean and flushing. Very near the roadwhich was surprisingly busy with large pick ups even after midnight..i guess heading to the ther river side camp sites further up into the forest.

Best in the redwoods!

This is by far my top place to camp in the redwoods! All the campsites are among the redwood forest and because of this the sites seem secluded and private. The campground has nice showers and bathrooms. Also, there is access to the river, which is a nice walk from your site! The fog in the morning was beautiful!

Most beautiful in the redwoods!

This campground is absolutely beautiful! I have stayed here multiple times and every time it’s beautiful. The campground is in the middle of the redwoods forest, and river access is available from the campgrounds. Nice bathrooms and showers available. In the mornings, it’s nice and foggy, which is a beautiful sight in the redwoods.

Just my experience

I spent one night in Sept. 2019 after a rainy day. We stayed up front near the office and street in a 38 foot motorhome. Full hookups, gravel sites and paved roads. It was quiet though not far off the freeway in a commercial neighborhood. I saw nothing wrong and have no complaints; there was grass and worn picnic tables. Overall, it was certainly adequate and humble. I would stay again without hesitation. I cannot rate it higher because it is humble— it is not as glitzy as the highly rated parks.

Lovely!

We landed here via the DYRT App!  Traveling up through Oregon and looking for full hook up, we found Turtle Rock!

It was nice, clean and an easy walk to beach if you can climb a very short rocky hill!  Really not a problem but for people that may have a disability, it might be.

The road is above as you’re facing the ocean and you go under it to the beach along a river that lets out at Turtle Rock!

There’s a store and a Mexican restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner!  Campground users receive 10% off!

I enjoyed our stay!

Last Chance Camp in Oregon.

Harris Beach is the last state park campground before you hit California heading south. It has all the amenities you need, along with a lot of people, rv's, kids, views of the ocean, a beautiful beach, some minor nature trails, and is right in town.

Hiker/Biker camp area is fenced off and a little separated from the rest of camp which is nice. REI sponsored storage boxes, USB charging stations, Bike Tools and Rack are available along with shared fire pits, picnic tables and scatter bike racks. The area is fairly open to other hiker/bikers but with shade and close to the ocean.

One of the biggest highlights of the camp amenities is that the showers DON'T HAVE TIMED PUSH BUTTONS! Meaning you have to push the button every 35 seconds to keep the water flowing. It is just a regular shower knob so you can stand there like a normal person. Makes a huge difference after a long day of riding or hiking.

There is a lot of beach, and some minor nature trails leading down to it. There are some benches along the trails that make for great wine drinking spots. The main campground area is packed in mid-june even during the early part of the week. Lots of families, groups and RVS. Town is only a few blocks away so there seem to be quite a lot of people who make this a meet up for family reunions. Not really camping but a nice camp all the same. And despite it's location town there have been recent bear sightings so keep an eye out.

Amenities include:

• Hot Showers & Flush Toilets
  • Hiker/Biker storage boxes with USB Charging stations
  • Bike Tools & Racks
  • Fire pits, picnic tables and firewood available.
  • Full wifi/cellular service
  • Beach/Ocean Access

Oregon Hiker/Biker sites are $7-8

*Pro-Tip: Bring a nice camp pad. The ground in Hiker/Biker looks flat but is lumpy.

Drive to everything. Misleading map. Don't confuse with day use area.

The closed Mill Creek day-use area has access to trails through old growth redwoods. This Mill Creek campground has limited access to a few short trails. See notes below.

WARNING: Trestle Loop Trail is not a loop (since 2018 according to CH). The first bridge when hiking clockwise is in excellent condition. The second crossing is at a wide section of creek without any bridge or trail markers. The third crossing is impassible due to a ~6ft abrupt drop. Aug 2019 there was a single laminated sign on the trail floor stating "Stay on trail," an A-frame marker tied to a tree by caution tape over 100ft away from the abrupt drop.

Caution: The campground map dated 2006, rev 2019 is missing important campground details and vaguely marks the path of the Trestle Trail.

Most disappointing, this campground has no old growth redwoods and no immediate hiking access to old growth, rivers, lakes, or beaches and ocean.

The map provided on paper, PDF, and on signs is inaccurate. The good: There are many potable water sources on both north and south loops, not just one as on the map. Some of the bad:

1/ Several camp sites have stairs.

2/ Many camp sites are generously graveled making tent camping less comfortable and difficult to drive stakes.

3/ Site 27 is currently (summer 2019) the end of the Trestle Trail. Expect guests passing through.

4/ Camp sites vary significantly. This could be a positive if documented accurately: Some are stacked with one entrance path deeper into the forest. Some have stairs leading to tent sites above road grade. Some have both such as 5, 6, and 7. Recommendation: Read each site detail on ReserveCalifornia carefully or ask the camp staff at the entrance kiosk.

5/ A few sites are inaccurately placed on the map such as site 20 which is on the main loop, not on the side road.

6/ The map is missing trail details such as another creek crossing and switchbacks on the west side which would be helpful progress indicators.

7/ Especially for RVs and trailers: The campground map makes no mention of the poor entrance road conditions. In addition to a steep grade and tight turns there are several small sections of uneven roadway due to slides. A small section is washed out and only graveled. There are also abrupt speed bumps near the kiosk.

8/ The campground map includes info for some nearby trails, but only the Trestle Trail is indicated on the map. Nearby trails are accessible only from the WEST entrance to the Trestle Trail across from camp site 8.

Beautiful campground surrounded by redwoods and river

The trees are amazing and the river sparkling. Not to fear from the beach either. One of my favorite campgrounds.

Best slice of Heaven in Southern Oregon!

This unique campground has everything you need! A hidden treasure!

Clean spacious park , pool for guests

Great place to stop and dump your rv tanks. Spacious pull through a w shade. Clean and big swimming pool for over night quests. Close to Ashland. Friendly people working the front desk w lots of snacks!

Amazing

This is a surreal place. Stayed 2 nights. Tent camping spots were great everything was nicely maintained. Foot traffic was a bit heavy from noon-4pm. To stand amongst this beautiful trees it is very breathtaking. Hiking trails were great and maintained. The scouts trail was the busiest by far.

Nice little county park

Nice little campground in a Redwood Grove. Big stumps in the park remind you of the old giants. Sites are packed in, but laid out well. Sites have picnic table and fire ring.

Quiet out of the way campground

Our son-in-law took us to this campground where we stayed over night over the 4th of July holiday in 2018. On this occasion we were tent camping. It was a quiet and enjoyable camp. the amenities were clean and well maintained. We will be going back there when we are in the area again.

Nice

Very nice small camp ground that has easy beach access. However the trees make it very cold at night.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

This park has been taken over by homeless people. If you stay here you must guard your campsite at all times. We made the mistake of leaving in the middle of the day to get groceries and they broke the lock to our trailer and stole over$1500 worth of goods. You will notice the park is mostly empty and this is why. Homeless panhandlers will be hitting you up before your car comes to rest and then daily. You have drug addicts shooting up in the kids park and then sleeping it off. I feel sorry for the actual locals who come to the park and have to endure this. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Great setup!

All the campsites along 101 for miles were taken and we saw the sign to this place…

Wow! We were surprised that they had a single tent camping site left. They were surprised too in fact. Anyway, the place is a legit resort. Its some 50 acres and the tent campsites reside away from the RV area a little ways. Enough to seem secluded. They situated the place perfectly. My words cannot describe the elegance. Its a great natural setting. They set you up with a map. $25 a night but well worth it. Your closest neighbor is like 50-75 yards away at least. Soft grass ground, picnic table, fire pit. We got a site placed right behind two large ponds huge meadows. It was great. Very clean. Staff are mostly there to run the main store and RV area and are very accommodating if you need assistance. Again, the buildings and RVs are a little walk (out of sight) of the tent camping area. Showers if you need them. Beach is a short 1/4 mile walk across 101. Water available. If you’re looking for deep forest rough camping this isnt it. If you’re looking for easy going camping and beauty, this is just the place.

Go ahead and pass on this one..

The good: it’s close to the river and the town of Rogue River. Oh and it’s cheap! The bad: it’s dirty(not well maintained grounds wise), mostly packed with RVs, and it’s small.

Ranger Review: Eclipse Sun Sleeves at Valley of the Rogue State Park

Campground Review:

Along my summer road trip to the Pacific Northwest, I stopped in at this fantastic State Park! Perched right along side the Rogue River in the Valley of the Rogue, this gem of a campground is excellent for anyone traveling along the 5 freeway headed either north or south. It has 158 camp sites of which most are full hookup or partial hookup, with some pull through options. As I was camping with my In-laws who own an RV, there were plenty to choose from! They also have Yurts and group camping sites available. Other amenities include flush toilets, hot showers, a volleyball court, day use area, riverside trail, and green-way paved trail through the park.

My overall impression of the Park was great! The access was easy, as the park was right off the freeway. This seemed like it would deter from the overall appeal, but the river noise somewhat drowned out the traffic noise. I loved having walking-distance access to the river! The water was flowing fairly quickly due to the high snowfall this year, but there was a great rocked-off area just down from our campsite where you could get into the water and wade around without the fear of your dog or child getting swept away(though kids should be closely monitored near the water). We stayed over the 4th of July, and we were close enough to towns in the area to access fireworks shows and events. The only major downside was that the campsites were fairly close together with not much undergrowth for privacy. In general this was a great camping experience that I would recommend.

Product Review:

Occasionally I get the opportunity to review products as a Ranger for The Dyrt. During this camping experience I thoroughly enjoyed trying out my sun sleeves from Eclipse sun protective clothing.

My first impressions of the fit were apprehensive since I had read other reviews/comments that described the sleeves and clothes as running a bit small. I am 6’1”, around 200 lbs, and have an athletic build. The sleeves come in 3 sizes(Small, medium, and large) and the Large fit me perfectly! They were comfortable, light in material, and maintained a very cool temperature on my arms despite the 90+ degree temperatures. I am a cyclist and often use modular clothing during long bike rides, especially during the cold hours of the morning, but I had not been able to find a sleeve that wasn’t way too hot during summer days. This sleeve accomplished the feat nicely and I look forward to wearing it during some rides in the future. There were multiple colors to choose from, including some with decorative patterns(even pink polka dot and Leopard). I am not quite so flashy in my color choices so I chose Pewter and was very happy with the color as it looked very similar to the pictures in person. The sleeves breathed very well and wick away moisture quickly leaving my skin dry underneath. They have a convenient thumb hole and half-glove that can be used or simply folded up on the wrist if unneeded. I highly recommend these sleeves to anyone who is as fair as I am and does not prefer to wear sunscreen. I personally despise wearing sunscreen and it is a bad pollution to our streams, rivers, lakes, and oceans. These sleeves are a much more environmentally friendly option that are functional, stylish, and good quality.

Standard Issue :)

Your basic campground and RV park. Has everything you need, close to stores, and you have cell phone service. Cost is really low.

Last site available

I would say this park is definitely geared more for those who have RV’s. It was a Friday at 2 pm and I got last site available. No trees, no grass, and the ground was so hard I had to soak ground to get stakes in for tent. It was pretty loud till at least midnight. There was a ton of dogs so if you don’t have one that’s trained I would suggest not taking it here. The bathrooms were kept clean. The river access is great and the day use space is nice with lots of picnics tables. You can pay with card at this place which was great cause I never carry cash.

Wonderful well maintained campground on the Oregon Coast.

Great hookups for campers, there is also a large tent area. A separate parking lot is available for cars and trailers. There are spectacular ocean views and trails.

Seemed like a nice spot

Was too full when we pulled in but seemed like a nice family campground in the woods. No cell service.