the dyrt
National Park Service
Flint Ridge is located in Redwood National Park in California
3 Reviews of Flint Ridge
Favorite Spot!

I have been along camping the Nor Cal coast at least twice a year, my entire life. Flint Ridge is a little farther north than I normally go, but I’m so glad I stumbled across this campground a few years back. My only “complaint” is that the pit toilet has been AWFUL the couple times I attempted to use it, but everything else about this campground is beautiful, secluded, and perfect.

One of a kind

We just drove through but it seems like a great spot to camp given all the options. Lots of day hikes and extraordinary views. I highly recommend. The trees are MASSIVE.

Amazing, free campground in Redwood National Park

We feel like we hit the jackpot at Redwood. We arrived at the Visitor Center without much of a plan for our four days here, and we immediately were interested in the free backcountry established campgrounds.

We chose Flint Ridge for our permit because of its accessibility to the road and main attractions through the park. The park is long and narrow, and Flint Ridge is located in the center, so we could drive north or south for the day and not have to backtrack through the entire park. We also only had to “hike” a short ¼ mile from our parking spot to the campsite.

The campsite itself was great: spacious, lush vegetation, a picnic table and nicer pit toilet, and even a view of the ocean! We were pleasantly surprised that our free campsite provided so much for us.

Throughout the rest of the park, we loved Fern Canyon, the Tall Trees Grove, and Crescent Beach. We also loved just driving through the scenic drives and peering out at the giant trees!

You can read much more about our five days in the park on our blog: Switchback Kids (Redwood)