No Fires
No Pets
About Patrick Creek Campground

Patrick Creek Campground sits at the confluence of Patrick Creek and the middle fork of Smith River in the vast Six Rivers National Forest of northern California.

The campground has a special charm, with steps, rock walls, restrooms and sunken campfire circles built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps.

Recreation

Popular activities include swimming, sunbathing, rafting and fishing in the Smith River, which is just adjacent to the campground. Anglers can expect healthy fishing populations of salmon, steelhead and cutthroat trout.

Visitors also enjoy hiking, horseback riding and biking in the area. There are no trailheads in the campground, but Elk Camp Ridge, High Dome and French Hill trailheads are all within 10 miles of the site.

Facilities

The campground offers multiple single-family accessible campsites, available for tent and RV camping. Tables and campfire rings with grills are provided. Accessible flush toilets and drinking water are also available.

Natural Features

Patrick Creek is located in a mature forest of Douglas firs in the northernmost part of California. A popular historic lodge and restaurant lie just across the highway from the campground. The Six Rivers National Forest lies east of Eureka in northwestern California, stretching southward from the Oregon border for about 140 miles. U.S. 101, the famed "Redwood Highway," parallels the inland Forest along the coastline. The Forest is just east of the Redwood National Park.

ADA Access: N

No Showers
No Water Hookups
Patrick Creek Campground is located in California
Directions
From Highway 101, north of Crescent City, California, travel east on Highway 199 for 22 miles to the campground.
2 Reviews of Patrick Creek Campground
Seemed like a nice spot

Was too full when we pulled in but seemed like a nice family campground in the woods. No cell service.

Beautiful campground with river access and helpful hosts

My 12 y/o son and I made a spontaneous trip to the coast Redwoods. All the state park campgrounds were full and we were able, with the help of the Patric Creek hosts, to obtain a site for the weekend. The first night we had one site, and they were supposed to be booked for the rest of the weekend but the hosts helped us snag a different site that people had bailed on their reservations for. The campground was nice and clean, we were situated on the river side with the Smith River in our backyard. The second site we stayed at had trail access to the river. There is also adjacent picnic area access to the river separate from the campground and the river is LOVELY. The campground has had a water system failure and does not have potable water this season (2018) so head in to nearby Gasquet or Crescent City (20 miles west) for water needs. Located in the Smith River Recreation area with lots of nearby river access. Also just outside of Jedediah Smith Redwood state park. What a lovely area. Nearby trails for Redwoods adventure await and are absolutely serene even during busy times as long as you’re willing to get up early to beat the crowds. I loved this campground, and and area and plan to return.

The only negative experience I had was the fact that the forest service didn’t seem to “understand” that I had over- paid for my site (by $2 because I had no change) and though the dates were clearly written on my self pay ticket, and the amount of $30 ($14 per night) they gave away my site after he second night even though I had clearly paid for a third night. We had gone hiking and came back to a clean campsite with missing firewood and cast iron skillet. Fortunately the hosts had my skillet and explained what had happened. They told me to try one of the other nearby campgrounds and take a site (and explain to the hosts) if available, since I already paid, but it was a busy weekend, Saturday, and I was sure they’d be full. Instead of driving 7 miles the opposite direction, we headed back home to Washington. Didn’t spoil my trip by any means but I wasn’t very happy about the forest service yanking my site away from me and essentially stealing my money and robbing me of a nap before my long drive.