the dyrt
Altamont, OREGON
Most Recent Altamont Camping Reviews
Great views of Lake... thats about it

4-5 pull thru sites. Pretty close together so the fire pit is a foot away from my slide out. There are some back in sites on the edges of the camp. Didn’t eat at the restaurant. Kayaks and paddle boats to rent. Staff are nice but hard to find at times. Bathrooms are clean but very rustic. Paid about $50 in April for full hookups- no cable, but has slow wifi.

KOA-WESOME

Great campground tucked in the middle of town, conveniently close to pretty much anything you could possibly need.

Beautiful and great fishing

We spent Memorial Day 2018 at this reservoir and it was gorgeous. It’s dry camping, but there are a couple outhouses provided. The area where we were camped did not have an outhouse, despite having campsites. This is why I only gave it 4 stars. If there are campsites, why no outhouse? If you don’t have a trailer with a bathroom, you have to go to another area to use the outhouse. Other than that, the area is beautiful. I loved to watch the pelicans, and the fishing was great. There were people who had camped at a different nearby reservoir who came to Holbrook to fish. The fishing was really good and both of my kids caught their first fish during this trip.

WHAT a beautiful place!

Took the kids camping here for the first time tent camping and we had a blast. Albeit a bit dusty and rustic, we couldn’t believe how beautiful the lake view was from atop the trailheads and how spectacular the views of the pinnacle rocks were on drive down towards the lake. The campground is clean, well kept and there is bear proof boxes to keep them hybrids of your things which was reassuring and helpful. We will definitely be returning.

Great Campground

Great campground with spectacular views of Fourmile Lake and Mt. Mcgloughlin. Most of the campsites are quite roomy, some are private, and some are open. The camp host is very helpful and friendly.

Home for 10 days

This place is great! The bathrooms are immaculate, the firepits and trashcans are regularly emptied. The lake is beautiful and refreshing with a very nice paved path to walk around completely. There is a healthy day use parking lot and plenty of fishing spots with a very nice fish cleaning station.

Most Affordable NPS Campground Ever!

It was only $5 a night to stay here! Granted there was no running water and the only toilets were plastic portable ones but to camp in the incredible Crater Lake National Park that felt like a steal! Lost Creek is tent camping only and there are no fires allowed. There's only a handful of sites that were almost full by later afternoon. The sites are separated by low brush that doesn't provide too much privacy but also keeps the campground from feeling crowded. It's a quiet campground about 3 miles from the Rim Road. Another 4 miles down the road is are the Pinnacles, super cool formations left behind when the volcano erupted 7,700 years ago.

I visited mid-September and it was very chilly in the evening and early morning when the sun was behind the mountains. I woke up to a solid layer of frost and ice in all my water. There is water available throughout the park but campers are encouraged to bring their own form outside Crater Lake so as not to put pressure on the watershed.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking one of the ranger led sunset hikes up Watchman Peak. Or, if learning about history and nature along the way isn't your thing, walking up to the peak alone.

Great Campground

Great campground at the center of the monument.  Really close to the visitor’s center and the entrances to some of the more popular lava tubes.  Only downside is that it is first come first serve, so get there early!

Hidden Gem

This is a wonderful out-the-way spot near Bray, a one house town that is more of a junkyard than town. Ignore it. A mile there are 6 lakeside spots which are perfect for small RVs or tents and 4 more “group” spots on the north side of the lake. Very peaceful and secluded on the shore of a small lily pad covered lake. There are 3-4 small docks but the boating is limited because of the lily pads. Great swimming and fishing though! There’s no water, sewer or electric hook-up so you RV’rs will be boondocking. the Outhouses were the cleanest I’ve ever seen and there are dumpsters and recycle bins.

Mellow lakeside camp

A quiet family campground by an Oregon lake in southern Oregon, at about 4000 feet elevation that has fishing, water skiing, boating, hiking, biking and fantastic chocolate vanilla soft serve cones at the camp store. Close to Ashland, Oregon and the summer Shakespeare festival and Jacksonville, Oregon for the Britt Festival. A great relaxing RV camping spot, with electric, full hookups and hot showers.

Sacred Quiet Lake

I visited in September of 2017, and it was not too crowded. It is unbelievably peaceful and quiet. Plenty of fallen wood to collect for fires, and by September it does get very cold at night - our water froze, and it was super cold in the tent. Very close to good caving at Lava Beds, and lots to explore in Modoc County.

full hook ups and by the river

this campground has all the necessities . a laundry spot, playground, full hookups, boat ramp, etc. Seems like it caters more specifically to RVs and is close to hwy 97. It is a really clean well maintained spot. This campground is also right by the river which is really pretty.

Neat park with museum

Really nice park off of hwy 97. It has a neat museum and the facilities were clean. There is a neat clear creek is just down the road and has trails to explore. There were people kayaking on the creek. Lots of places available to park and it was a little crowded but still a nice park.

campground not open

this campground was closed. it looked like it had nice corrals for horses but the sign said closed and no one was around when we stopped by

spacious clean campground

nice well kept campground. This campground is a couple miles of dirt road off of hwy 97. The camp host was very helpful and nice. He explained to us where good spots to put our kayaks in. I saw two water spouts and there are bathrooms. The campgrounds are dispersed and it was not crowded when I was there. A little hot and dusty but that’s camping at times.

Close to downtown Ashland

I stopped at this campground with my daughters on a road trip to California. We were able to slip in without any reservations. There were almost no campers due to the smoke from the wildfires and the water slides and pool were closed for the same reason. They looked pretty cool, but I can’t vouch for that or tell you how much the fee is. The fee to tent camp is $20.

There are warnings about rattle snakes around which freaked out my daughters a little bit. We didn’t see any. It’s mainly a warning to be aware of your surroundings.

The lake is disgusting and slimy. There is a boat launch and were people fishing on the lake with boats. There are warnings for pregnant or nursing women not to eat fish from the lake. Before we went down to the water, a staff person at the campground was very kind when we asked about swimming. She said it was safe, but seemed to have some apprehension and added that it was murky. When we got down to the lake there was a dog and the dog’s owner and one other person in the water. The other person got out of the water rather quickly. My daughters and I got out of the car and stepped down into very slippery sludge. It was thick and stuck to the bottom of your foot or shoe like when you step in cow dung.

We continued to try to brave it wading into the water. It was extremely slippery. I looked for something firm to stand on and saw a strip of what looked like blacktop nearby. I went to stand on it only to find myself nearly knee deep in a clutch of - what my uncle later told me was bullfrog eggs.

At that point we got out and decided to try to find a different place to swim. We had to scrape our shoes to get the sludge off then we drove to the city pool which wasn’t very far away. Unfortunately it was closed too. Then I found out that there’s a swimming reservoir at the very top of Lithia Park. It took us a little while to find it, but it was PERFECT. The water was very cool and very clear with a nice pebbly bottom. I recommend finding this spot. it’s heaven. This is the address of the pinned location on my maps: 632–698 Granite St, Ashland, OR 97520

Sleeping at the campsite was pleasant. The birds were vibrant during the day and early morning. The night animal noises were also pleasant. The campground was quiet as there were few campers. The staff were kind and checked in on us.

The bathrooms were clean except that I think the showers were turned off. It’s 50 cents for a 4 minute shower, but the coin slots were blocked. Maybe because there were so few campers?

Overall the campground was good and probably very popular on a usual basis. I would avoid the lake altogether and find the swimming reservoir instead. I will probably stay here again if in Ashland in the future. The price is very reasonable, the staff is helpful and friendly, the bathrooms are clean, and the nearby swimming reservoir is heaven. I didn’t give it more stars because the lake is so disgusting.

Family time

Great family campground, plenty of bike and lake side hiking trails. Nice shade during the hot months. Definitely will go back!

never forget

last trip my late fiance and I had before he passed away. we lost out through knife, canoes around the whole late, made love on the shoreline. what an amazing memory.

private simple campground

Very nice,quiet, clean, and simple campground. plenty of available spots I’ve been out here twice and still haven’t seen another camper. Pit toilet available but no hookups. There is a neat little creek right by the campsites. It’s a little ways off the main road and feels a bit secluded.

Close quarters

Fish Lake reaper is located on the beautiful Fish Lake. We had a tent site and it was huge! However limited privacy. This is definetly a RV campground. You will be right next to your neighbor. However, the staff are friendly and the restaurant was good. They even had live music.

Scenic, good for swimming, easy access

Fish lake is a smaller lake than others I have camped along, but it is big enough to swim in, take out a canoe, or let a dog splash around in. We found a dispersed site overlooking the water, and had a fantastic time! Bring bugspray. The mosquitos aren't the worst I've seen, but certainly present.

beautiful spring/creek

This campground is one of my favorites and is home to a beautiful crystal clear natural spring. It is well maintained, clean, and has picnic tables. It looked like there are stables available. We went kayaking and it was a nice calm gorgeous spot. Perfect spot for a campground.

Quaint

We camped at the primitive site. Had to host over to it. It was worth it. Loved the rustic tables and the lake side site. Fished and relaxed.

Clean, quiet campground - beware chipmunks

We felt our campsite was plenty big enough for our 30 ft. trailer, chairs, dog, and equipment. The chipmunks are everywhere and will steal food. Our dog was quite annoyed.

Follow the walking trail to the logging museum. Logging equipment, buildings, train cars (all outdoors) with guided tours and a gift shop. The nearby river is small and beautiful.

Yikes!

Ended up not staying when placed right next to a large dog on a table that was growling at us. Campground is behind a motel, nothing special, just flat spots.

Great State Park!

This campground is beautiful! Walking distance to the river and logging museum. Logging museum is huge and worth a visit. River is clear and beautiful. Sites are clean and nice. Tent and RV sires available. Beware of the Chipmunks! They are everywhere and for some reason people life the goods to protect their cars. Some spaces can be tricky for large RVs.

Great campground in the middle of the city

Want to be close to town for a night. This KOA is well kept, has a small store, gas station and propane. Also offers a clean pool and restroom. Camp sites are nice wirh green grass. There are also tent camping and cabins for rent. Be aware of midges, found by the water in these parts of Oregon (koa is by a canal). They don't bite, but are annoying and look like a mosquito. This KOA is close to stores, to refill groceries, restaurants and the Amazing Crater Lake and Lava beds National Parks.

Clean and serene!

This is a great camping spot next to a small lake! The sites are perfect, both single use and group use. The picnic tables and fire pits are near perfect, almost brand new, and the bathrooms are immaculate! The entire area is kept up extremely well. The lake is a great spot to do some fishing from either the small docks of from a non motorized boat. A bald eagle has a nest at this site which is pretty awesome as well. One warning, the bull frogs go all night long! I recommend driving the forestry road to the top of Mt Orr, there is a service lookout tower up there but the guy I ran into was very nice and had no problem with me checking out the amazing view, I highly recommend it!

Beautifully secluded

I knew nothing about this place before going here. I was just here as a base camp to scout for elk, which I saw none of, for an upcoming hunting trip. This place was absolutely beautiful! They offer day use, horse use, and overnight use. The overnight use has 6 available spots at $10/day which is a deal given that the sites are ample with awesome picnic benches and fire pits. I’m never excited to use a campsite bathroom but this was immaculate and never smelled. Cleanest public bathroom I have ever encountered. There is a small stream that flows through the area coming from a beautiful meadow. All sorts of wildlife loves to visit, even deer. The camp is surrounded by a barbed wire fence to keep cows out, I’m assuming. There are cattle guards at both entrances of the site as well. This is my new favorite spot.