Sentinel Butte , NORTH DAKOTA

Most Recent Sentinel Butte Camping Reviews
Pine on Rocks campground

This was one of several sites up a winding steep but paved road where trailers are not allowed. We had a very private site #20 with our own clean private vault toilet and garbage can. It was down a single track rutted road but our 24’ pop up truck camper made it with ease. We could see some of the hoodoos if we walked around. There was lots of room to set up a tent and just wander around. Cost was $14. We had groupings of pine trees for shade as it can get hot there even in Late September.

There is a campground for larger RVs but they are on asphalt closer to the entrance. They were crowded and it looked hot there.

This place is so cool!

It seems like I’ve said every campground on my trip was awesome. However it was my first time to the west AND The Dyrt helped me plan my trip so I found some AWESOME campgrounds.

Makoshika Stare Park has a Triceratops on the sign, how can you not get excited about checking it out! Kids would love this park.

The campground I stayed at has a reservable TP , a pit toilet and good sized sites but not much shade. My site ran right up to the edge of a drop off. My Pomeranian , being the bonehead he is jumped right in ! Luckily it was only about 6 or 7 feet.

The hiking was …well… Awesome! Lol You can actually walk through the hills and on top and around. There were rabbits appearing and disappearing. There were benches in interesting places. Informational markers and interesting spots.

Excellent place to bring the kids.

It's all about the park

The campsites are perfectly fine. The park is stunning.

Leave no trace.

Not sure what to say or rate

We pulled in at 830 pm and immediately noticed the few campers that were parked had no lights on. We could barely see where our spot was as There was no check in, you just go right to your spot. I typically like to check in and meet the people who run it to get a good layout and understand the vibe of the campground. We had site 12 I believe and we got a spooky vibe when we pulled up to it. It is literally 5 feet from a cabin that had huge window and a door that lead right to our driver side rv door. It just felt a little weird to have to hook up in the dark with no lights around us except our own headlamps and wonder if someone was inside watching us from their window. The spot was also very visible from the road so that also spooked us that people were driving by seeing us get ready next to a very dark cabin. Hind sight it was probably a fine campsite but I always say trust your instinct so we left. Something just felt slightly off, especially in the dark right next to a very long and dark cabin that anyone could have been in.

That being said, the ground was also fairly uneven and it is a very basic campground. It seems it was more for cabins and someone just decided to hookups and no picnic tables

I bet the views are nice and the people staying are probs great too! Again it just felt a little off so we left so I can’t honestly give this a fair rating

Good stop over site with beautiful scenery

Pros: Scenery is beautiful, staff are helpful, fellow campers quiet and respectful. Con: due to landscape and close proximity of sites there is little privacy. Lots of loud generators.

Pretty and isolated camping outside of Medora and TRNP.

Pros: Beautiful grounds Isolated Some camp sites are real gems A variety of sites depending on what you want- camp on the hill in grassland if you want to watch sunset/sunrise- or get one of the camp sites that are nestled behind trees for more seclusion. There are toilets, one shower and a dumpster Hot water in the shower. We got site 22 on the second loop and loved the seclusion, the amount of space (enough space to set up two tents) and a short walk to the restrooms which were great since we were camping with kids. Highly recommend this site if you want a secluded spot. Short drive to Medora and TRNP

Cons: One shower on only one loop, if you’re on the other loop you’ll need to walk to the shower. But hey, at least they have a shower. Bathrooms were a bit messy when we were there (there was no camp host) but that’s due to fellow campers Highway noise was audible. Some sites are closer to the highway than others No cell service at all. You’d need to drive up to the top of the hill by the freeway entrance to get service. This could be a pro depending on what you want, but not within walking distance to Medora like the Medora camp grounds advertise.

no bad spirits here

this a fantastic park full of geographic wonders and beautiful vistas. we had a wonderful stay here

no bad spirits here

Clean sites, not much of a view

First of all this campground is not $6 anymore. It is $20. There are no electric hook-ups and some of the parking areas are very unlevel.  Even though no hook-ups there were still a number of motorhomes and towables camping here, dominating the tent campers.  We were lucky enough to find a level site mid-week by arriving around 10 am. Sites were very clean and relatively spacious with asphalt paving. There isn't much to look at here.  Just kind of a prairie with a hill. There is a dump station. There is also a fill station by the picnic area with a threaded hose but we had to back our Class B up onto the sidewalk as we only carry a 25ft hose with us and the spigot was about 30 ft from the parking lot. We could hear traffic noise as you are right off I-94, but it wasn't obnoxious.

Awesome Campsite!

I stayed in campsite 31, which is located very deep into the park after the pavement has ended. But it was so isolated and amazing! Couldn’t see another campsite or hear a single other group. And the view was amazing! These photos I attached were taken directly from my site. Sadly the smoke from the fires on the west coast has made its way over, but it was still very peaceful. Only downside was that I had to drive to the toilets, but I highly recommend!