The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Kill Devil Hills , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Kill Devil Hills Camping Reviews
Road noise

This campground was nice. But the road noise was terrible. The first night we were in one of the sites right next to the road and there was traffic all night long. The second night we stayed at one of the sites over closer to the beach and it was a little better. FYI it is a longer walk than you think to the beach. We weren’t carrying any beach supplies but I can imagine with chairs, cooler etc. it could be qu a chore. The warm showers were awesome! Outside the noise the campsite was nice. Very convenient to a lot of things to see and do in the Outer Banks.

Nice beach access

Smaller campground which we liked, on the beach. Restrooms older but clean. Quiet at night, ocean breezes. Owner allowed us to change check in date with no penalty. Sunrise at Cape Hatteras the highlight!

RVs Only / Strict & unwelcoming

Mostly full time RVs, in a tight knit, very small/super quiet community. Its an RV community (nice RVS only) not a campground. We felt like outsiders on our own site. Strict management, always watching you, it was really an unenjoyable stay. Our site was pretty on the pond, thats why im giving 2 stars. No fires allowed. No tents allowed, and don't touch the grass! They are watching. The management had a problem with our camp van. Really can't express enough how rude management was. VERY judgemental and controlling, and if you don't fit in, they let you know. I was googling other campgrounds in the area within 5 minutes of being there. (Outer banks Campground is where we are trying next)

Second Visit Just As Good as the First

The lull of the ocean just over the dunes is the best reason to stay here. Very peaceful to fall asleep to. Definitely one of my favorite spots.

OK

It's OK, typical RV park, sites close together. They don't want older RVs.

Extremely cramped & unsafe

We rolled in today for a four night stay at Ocean waves Campground. Based on the reviews we thought it would be great place. Everything went fine in check in. However when drove in, it was the tightest, most crowded campsite we’d ever seen. When we got to our site we saw that it was incredibly cramped and was a 90° back in with too many cars at adjacent sides to make it even possible to make the turn.

Additionally, our site (that was to accommodate our trailer and a tent) was a small concrete pad surrounded by grass that was under several inches of water. The electrical hook up post was in a huge puddle unsafe to navigate.

While the adjacent campers in full Trump regalia looked on, I booked a site at the adjacent KOA. Staff was grouchy at my insistence that the site would not do and was unsafe, but did refund all but one nights stay.

DICUSSED

This campground is full of bugs. It also lacks the basic cleaning of bathhouses. They are full of bugs and dirt in both the outside and inside showers and management does nothing to change it.  When I complained I was given excuses. Would I stay there again NEVER.

Perfect spot on the sound

This is our favorite campground. Small, quiet, and everyone is respectful and friendly. The sunsets on the sound can’t be beat and everyone makes you feel like you’re at home.

Best campground at the Outer Banks!

Tons of amenities, right on the ocean, clean bathrooms, wonderful employees!

Great family campground

I have camped here many times throughout my childhood and adulthood. Miles of trails and so much to do. Always with clean sites and attentive staff