Cove Creek, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Cove Creek Camping Reviews
Best spot in the Smokies

Great campsite. Clean bathrooms. Right down the road from good hiking spots.

Victor Road Dispersed Camping

There are three campsites located in Victor Road. Victor Road is approx. 2 miles north of highway 80 (highway 80 is is approx 16 miles north of Mount Mitchell) on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The road is initially pavement but quickly turns to packed gravel. The road is a little rough in spots, but I had zero issues in my Honda Accord. Sites are free and do not appear to be managed by any official municipal, state or federal authority…but they are in great shape.

Three sites are available from what I could see. The marker on this map is at the site of what I am calling #3. Sites 1 & 2 are located about 1/2 mile down Victor Road on the left and are adjacent to one another, but appear to be large and have foliage separating them. One of the sites had three tents pitched along side a beach tent and still had plenty of open space in the middle around a stone fire pit. I stayed at site number three. This has enough room for two cars and a four person tent at most. I have a three person tent and it covered most of the flat pad area. The site has a fire pit and is located just before a large(ish) stream that crosses the road. Beyond this campsite, the road turns private. The site is on the left hand side as you approach the stream. There is room on the right hands side of the road for perhaps another tent if one wanted to do so.

This is fairly remote, despite being close enough to the BRP to hear cars occasionally. There are no amenities aside from the fire pit, but it's handy to have a creek for water for filtering or boiling. You should note that there are hunting blinds at the top of the hill between sites 1/2 and 3. These are facing a field that points away from the campsites. I imagine during turkey season (I saw a lot of turkey), you may hear gunshots.

There aren't any trails down this road, but you are within a few minutes of the BRP where they are plentiful and Mt. Mitchell and associated trail systems are less than 20 minutes. The BRP would have to be open for you to access these sites, so plan accordingly (my suggestion is the real time map on nps.org).

Primitive beauty

A wonderful campsite only .5 mile away from the wonderful Gregories bald. Bring bear spray if you can. Both times I've camped here I've seen scat right on the trail. Since pictures below are of the trail close to campsite

Great find

There's a great watering hole nearby that's perfect for a mid summer dip

An unforgettable beauty

It has the potential to be a little crowded, but to be able to take a dip in the creek mid summer is priceless. One of my favorite swimming holes is here

One of my absolute favorites!

Very cool, rustic, and secluded site only a few miles from a great panoramic view ontop or max patch. My favorite thing about this site is all the moss scattered throughout

Decent classic site

Always a little crowded, but a well maintained popular spot. Cades cove is a great site to see if you've never been there. Plenty of wild animals, historic sites, and wonderful views

One of our favorite quick getaways

Panther creek has great hiking trails, pool, playground fire pits and so much more! The campground tends to be quiet and relaxed and has full hookups on some of the sites along with a nice little store and the dump station.

Peaceful Lake front

Had a site back in by their cabins that was just off the lake which was great for fishing and the kids to explore!

Beautiful & Clean Camping

So many beautiful sites! This is our family’s favorite getaway and we have been here a dozen times! The campground is in a peaceful setting close to Asheville shopping, restaurants, Blue Ridge Parkway and Arboretum.