Boiling Springs, NORTH CAROLINA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Boiling Springs Camping Reviews
Victor Road Dispersed Camping

There are three campsites located in Victor Road. Victor Road is approx. 2 miles north of highway 80 (highway 80 is is approx 16 miles north of Mount Mitchell) on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The road is initially pavement but quickly turns to packed gravel. The road is a little rough in spots, but I had zero issues in my Honda Accord. Sites are free and do not appear to be managed by any official municipal, state or federal authority…but they are in great shape.

Three sites are available from what I could see. The marker on this map is at the site of what I am calling #3. Sites 1 & 2 are located about 1/2 mile down Victor Road on the left and are adjacent to one another, but appear to be large and have foliage separating them. One of the sites had three tents pitched along side a beach tent and still had plenty of open space in the middle around a stone fire pit. I stayed at site number three. This has enough room for two cars and a four person tent at most. I have a three person tent and it covered most of the flat pad area. The site has a fire pit and is located just before a large(ish) stream that crosses the road. Beyond this campsite, the road turns private. The site is on the left hand side as you approach the stream. There is room on the right hands side of the road for perhaps another tent if one wanted to do so.

This is fairly remote, despite being close enough to the BRP to hear cars occasionally. There are no amenities aside from the fire pit, but it's handy to have a creek for water for filtering or boiling. You should note that there are hunting blinds at the top of the hill between sites 1/2 and 3. These are facing a field that points away from the campsites. I imagine during turkey season (I saw a lot of turkey), you may hear gunshots.

There aren't any trails down this road, but you are within a few minutes of the BRP where they are plentiful and Mt. Mitchell and associated trail systems are less than 20 minutes. The BRP would have to be open for you to access these sites, so plan accordingly (my suggestion is the real time map on nps.org).

First Time Campers

We chose crowders mountain as first time campers since we had heard it was a nice campground, and we were looking for a “hold your hand” type experience the first round. This campground lived up to expectations. The hike in was only about a mile. Not terrible, but if you’re out of shape and carrying a pack it may be slightly daunting, but still do able (I made it, so can you! 😃)

They have firewood available for purchase, but they also let you collect/scavenge the surround area for your own and we did well just doing that.

All in all a great first trip. Would definitely return! 🏕🏔👍🏻

So Much Fun!

We had a blast; even with younger kids. RV sites and cabins, friendly staff, free shuttle to the amusement park, great community center, and more. Whether you are hanging in the RV park or at the amusement park, you'll be satisfied. Nice RV sites and well maintained!

Fantastic stop!

Loved this place - great sites, clean bathrooms, nice showers, it was all good! Hope to come back!

Cute park hidden away

Croft State Park was right on our route so it was a convenient spot. However, it turned out to be really nice too!! It is on a lake and there are trails in the campground for exploring. There are plenty of sites with a great view of the lake. Also, they supposedly have a big event every year for Halloween. We weren’t there for that, but it seems fun! The staff was super nice as well. This was a great way to spend a few days enjoying the lake view and getting caught up on work!

Close to the city but a world away from the bustle

We stayed at Mcdowell Park Campground over a long weekend and really enjoyed it. The park is located southwest of Charlotte off of hwy 49 near Lake Wylie, SC. The hwy is busy and neighboring Lake Wylie is also busy. however, once you pull off the road and back into the nature preserve, all of the noise (except for airplanes) falls away.

Our camp spot was level and plenty big enough to accommodate our 12x17 tent. We had our own power and shared water with the next campers. We were close to the bathhouse which was really clean. We loved the laid back atmosphere. We even had a couple of families in a group camping next to us and across from us. And while their kids were "active" it didn't affect our easy weekend.

We were able to buy ice and firewood at the camp office. The staff were very nice and accommodating.

Others mention that there is not much to do. In the campground, there is a playground and not much more. However, the overall Mcdowell nature preserve has plenty to do with Lake Wylie, playgrounds, nature trails, fishing, and more. You can be as busy or as chill as you choose.

We are headed back in March 2020 to kick off our camping season.

Nice campsite

This seems to be a real nice campground. We stayed when the amusement park was closed so it was very quite and hardly anyone there. It had just rained a bunch so it was a bit muddy but it looked like all the spots are blacktop to park on so it was alright. Nice friendly staff too.

Great little resort

Nice low key resort. Only back in spots but still nice. The front desk does close at 4 from what I have found though

It depends

It depends on what you want. Nobody else was there when I was there this past summer and so I was able to let my dogs roam freely. If that's what you want, there is plenty of space and since nobody else is there, there is privacy. However, the shower/bath houses that belonged to the camping area have been decommissioned and the only bathrooms, which are new, are therefore quite a distance because they're now in the day-use only area. I have pictures of the campsite somewhere I think. I did get chiggers from the whole experience.

Amazing Views Within Feet of the Campsites

Access: I've read a lot about the road leading into this campground/trailhead area. There are two different ways to access it from what I can tell. I came in from the north (despite coming from I-40). Googlemaps took me all the way up Hwy 181 to Gingercake Rd, in the Gingercake residential neighborhood. From there, it is about 7 miles to the Table Rock Picnic Area. Approximately 5 miles of that is compacted gravel/dirt road. I did this in a Honda Accord. You DO NOT need an SUV or 4wd to do this route. You do need patience however. There are some spots where rocks are sticking up and if you don't have tires designed for SUV's, you could risk a puncture. There are some potholes to dodge and some washed out areas. All of this can easily be navigated. I saw a Prius that had made it up. Again, I did this with an Accord with zero issues. The last two miles is a relatively steep paved road. The alternative route up (which you pass on the way to how I went) is about 13 miles off of Hwy 181. I think this is the way that many people go and review that it is very rough. It brings you up to the Picnic Area from the south. The two ways merge just before the paved portion.

I should note that there are campsites all the way up once you hit the dirt portion of the road. Several of those campsites would be good options getting to the northern portion of the gorge.

At the Picnic Area, there is plenty of parking, a bathroom and well, a picnic area with tables and grills. To the right is the trail to Table Rock and beyond up to Hawksbill. There are no campsites, at least not to the point where you go up to Table Rock. To the left is the picnic area and then the campsite area. I would estimate there are at least ten spots where a tent could be pitched with an accompanying fire ring (made of rocks). This is on the ridge heading up to The Chimneys. I was there in winter and there were still at least four sites taken, so in summer I imagine you would have any privacy for what that's worth.

I stayed at the site further up on the right (they aren't numbered). This was the last spot before you really hit the trail (which by the way is immediate world-class views. I don't know if it was just in my head or not, but the winds were extremely high that night and it felt like some of the sites a little way down the hill closer to the parking lot (maybe 100 yards) had less wind. Not sure if that was real or not, but you may consider that a lower spot. All of the sites are between 100-400 yards from the parking lot. So no need if you decide to bring more than you might need.

Overall, can't recommend this location enough. Bring what you need though. There are not facilities and the nearest anything is essentially an hour away in Morganton.