the dyrt
Advance, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Advance Camping Reviews
Quiet and Private

Another large but empty campground, with 73 campsites and two loops you have lots of spots to choose from. Every site is tent or trailer ready, with picnic tables, campfire ring, tent pads, and the ability to pitch two tents. However, there is no hookups or dumping station at this campground. They do have hot showers, sinks, drinking water, and flush toilets. The sites are not able to be reserved, so it is a first-come-first-serve basis.

The trails here are great, right in the middle of the campground you can hike basically straight up for a mile or so and reach the observation tower which overs amazing 360 degree views. Definitely a must see view.

Decent

The campgrounds were perfect for a few days and there were enough hiking trails around to keep us busy. Most of the trails were very easy, but the view on top of Stone Mountain was nice. I don’t think it was exceptional but overall was a nice camping trip.

Woody for Tent Campers and Sunny for RV'ers

The tent sites are built into a hill that provides an abundance of trees to hang hammocks and to keep well protected from the sun. The RV spots are located out in the open area and one loop sits right on a creek. The RV spots are sunnier with limited trees to shade from the sun during the summer months. For a NC state park, the bathroom and shower amenities are clean, warm and well stocked with toilet paper. The tent spots are a perfect place to hang hammocks and the tent pads are pretty sizable!

I am giving this review a 5 based on 2 different elements: 1) cleanliness of the camp site was beyond expectation. Not all campground hosts clean out the fire pit on a daily basis. When arriving, there was no trace of the former camper at all. No micro trash, no left over spikes and the campsite was freshly raked and all coals/ash were swept out of the fire ring. 2) welcoming personalities of the camp ground host and and employees. The campground host stopped to ask if we needed anything and to remind us the program that was taking place the next morning.

For tent camping, choose the following sites if you need to park 2 cars at the campsite: #7, #9, #14 and #18. The other campsites have enough space for one car at each site.

Great Campground!

I’m not typically in love with state park campgrounds, but this was was perfect! Our campsite was just up the trail from the lake, you could see and walk to the lake from our spot. Other campers aren’t right on top of you and the whole area was fairly quite. The dogs enjoyed themselves as well!

Would be great if you have a boat

Sites are a little tight but, the view of the water was very nice. They have a snack bar, marina, fishing dock ,pool and picnic area.

Feels like old skool camping

Large park attached to campground. huge lake, carousel, train rides and small zoo. Campsites are standar size. wooded and bathouse were dated but, clean. Outside firewood was allowed and picnic shelters availble with volleyball and lots of trails.Huge playground in park.

Such a cute and clean family campground

Such a great little campground, nice wooded sites, lake, playground, pool and bonefires and djs on holidays. trails and fresh eggs in camp store from chickens on site. Goats and a horse also live here.

Quick Overnight

1 night stay while traveling the east coast. Sites are on top of each other with no privacy and limited shade. Only bathroom is at the main entrance so if you’re not equipped with your own bathroom you’re doing a lot of walking. Campground is right next to the interstate so you definitely could hear road traffic all night long. Convenient stop for traveling but would not want to spend multiple days here.

Random mountain in the middle of NC

Camping here is cheap and theres plenty to do if your outdoorsy there tons of hiking trails a plublic boat ramp to lake tillery fishing is allowed just a all around relaxing place

Simple but we were okay with that

We really liked this campground we had a double site that was huge it was minutes from uwharrie national forest and badin lake. We'll defiantly go back.

Decent older campground showing its age.

Holly Bluff is ok for a quiet getaway. It's an older place that they're trying to keep up with decent landscaping, etc. The mini-golf was in disrepair and closed. The game room was locked. The pool was good. The staff is friendly. Many 'permanent' trailers are in place, with gaudy outside decorations. Dog friendly, but we saw some running free. Hookups, picnic tables, and fire rings were on level sites. Rates are good, but they only accept cash or check.

Great stay

Loved my stay here with my family and extended family. NC was a perfect place to hold a family reunion. We camped here and 2 other places, and loved every second of it. We did some awesome hikes nearby, and also did some biking. The trails were great, as was the weather. NC is such a great state, and I honestly didnt know how much it had to offer outdoors. We loved staying at this campground, and actually had 4 spots with RVS. They had hookups, and water hookups as well. It was perfect for our large family get together. We used the fire pits they provided and cooked dinner over them. It was a little busy because if the summer months, but it was nice we had an RV. It was a little loud because of how many people there were, but once we got inside our RV we couldnt really hear anyone else. They had a great picnic area that was large enough for our family to have lunch. There was also a playground for the younger kids, and a basketball court as well. 1 bathroom on site, but luckily our RVs had bathrooms so we didnt have to use them. There was an awesome lake nearby that we found a cool rock to do some flips off of!

Week of Relaxation

This is an awesome campground. Great access to Badin Lake for kayaking, swimming and fishing. Our group explored the the trails which were scenic and easy to transverse. The bathrooms are well maintained and good freshwater source. The sites do not have power but we were able to work around it!

Convenient to Highway 64

Great place to spend some time. People and pet friendly. Adult and under 18 pools open seasonably. Gated and campers are given individual codes to get in after hours. Only negative is that they were working on remodeling their activity center. So, evening functions were limited.

Convenient to Triad Area

Very neat, clean and wooded campground. Large sites. Boating. Swimming. Close to interstates but not noisey. Can accommodate large rigs and have an open area for those traveling in tandum.

Lovely!! Wish I could have stayed longer

We stayed here one night passing through on our 3 week trip of SHEN NP, Blue Ridge Parkway and Great Smoky Mountains NP. So much was accessible from this location I wish we would have stayed in this area longer! The sites were the perfect size, campground was quiet and not too busy despite it being a Friday night. Will definitely book here again on our next trip through!

great place

awesome visit

awesome place

kitty at the front desk welcomed us to our stay. noticed what I think was a new sign that days tobacco free… hmmm

Great place for family.

Many activities offered for family with 2 large pools etc

Well Maintained

Great location with lots of hiking trails to choose from. Car-camping makes this great for families, the camp sites are generously sized and spaces for privacy. We will be back!

Something for Everyone

We take an annual summer trip here. The waterfall hikes, beach with concession area and nearby tubing down the Dan River make this a great campground to explore the beautiful NC mountains. The campsites and restrooms are well maintained and the camp hosts are knowledgeable and friendly.

Big lake, primo camping and hiking.

This campground has a lot to offer. Hiking, swimming, fishing at it's Carolina best. Outdoorsies will not be sorry if they visit Lake Norman State Park. It is located at the northern end of the lake, where it is quieter(motor boat wise) than farther south. It is a huge lake of some fifty square miles and over 500 miles of shoreline. The park is pristine and well managed. Rangers give guided informative hikes(a mile or so) at different times in season and there are plenty of hiking trails. Enjoy!

Quiet, serene, beautiful, quaint.

This campground is in a beautiful spot. Close to Lake Lure, Chimney Rock, and the Green River. So many outdoor adventures to be had, and if you enjoy tenting or rving, this campground is great. There is a bath house that gives you space to clean up, and every spot has electric and water. The family and staff who run the campground are very friendly and personable.

OK for an overnight stop, if you can handle the road noise

We stayed in site #18, which was a FHU pull-through. The site was fairly level, but quite short. Not enough room for us to keep our truck in front of our pop-up, which is what we look for in quick overnight stops. Also, it was a bit of a walk to the bath house, even though I specifically requested a site close to the bath house when I booked the reservation 8 months prior.

Bath house was ok. It was clean enough, but you could tell it was extremely old, and needed to be completely redone instead of just painted over. That was the general theme for much of the campground; very old, not particularly attractive or welcoming, and in need of a face-lift. The laundry room, however, was very nice, clean, and well-lit. I believe they only recently converted to a KOA, so it seemed like they were in the middle of some needed capital improvements. Still not worth the KOA prices at this time, in my opinion. Had a minor customer service issue at check-in, but decided the annoyance wasn't worth making a big deal so I got over it pretty quickly. Additionally, they closed the office at 7pm, which I found out when I went back to get some change for laundry after we set up. Being that this is a KOA Journey, one of the supposed features of this designation is extended office/check-in hours for travelers coming in for overnight stops, so I was surprised by this. However, the owners ended up pulling up right then to check on something in the office, and they very graciously agreed to get me some change while they were in there.

One other item of note: this CG is located right off I-40, which is very convenient, but the road noise is loud and constant. I had already expected this from reading other reviews, and they did make a bowl of free, disposable ear plugs available in the office, which was a nice gesture. The combination of the said ear plugs and exhaustion from a long day on the road allowed me to sleep pretty well, but if you’re at all sensitive to noise, it would be a deal-breaker.

It seems Greensboro offers all modern conveniences, and lots of things to do, but we didn’t explore beyond the CG.

Overall, this was an OK overnight stop for us between the Smokies and OBX (an almost perfect halfway point). Location is very convenient to the highway if you can handle the road noise. I wouldn’t stay here for more than a night, and honestly, if we were to take the same trip again, I’d likely look for a quieter (and certainly cheaper) option, even if it meant going a few miles out of the way.

Great first experience with a toddler

This was a close (1 hour drive) from Winston Salem and was the perfect first tent camping experience! Tons of beautiful trails, some with waterfalls, and a great beach! Camp site was mexcellent! Just enough privacy and clean bathrooms, plenty of water spickets! We will be back!

We love this campground

My son is getting married in December in another city. We were looking for a place to stay that would be close to the venue and close to the bride’s family and happen upon this little gem. Full hookups (30 & 50 amp), WiFi and cable. Owners are great - so much so that our entire camping family is going to stay there the week of the wedding. Owners have been very accommodating with putting us all together.

Met several campers who said they stay there all the time on their way to and from Florida. Nice stopping off point.

Easy access for the injured

Stayed here after visiting the Divine Llama Vineyard. Very convienient location. Unfortunatley I had an injured foot so I couldnt hike much but it was easy to drive up to see the overlook views of pilot mountain. I can’t wait to go back when I’m able to hike!

Lots of hiking trails!

Great campground for car camping with great views! There are over 20 miles of trails to hike that lead to waterfalls and beautiful mountain views. Swimming is also an option during the summer months. The bathhouse is closed during the winter months to avoid frozen pipes. There is a privey available just across the road from the bathhouse but you need to bring your own toilet paper.

Sites on the Lake, clean and easy access

I rented my site online and was pleased by the low price for a campsite on a lake. The road in is a little rough but not too crazy. There is not an office or anything once you arrive (so no last minute supplies) but there is a paystation if you show up and want to camp. The camp host puts out signs of when the sites are rented so that you can find an empty site for a night.

Bathrooms were clean and well lite. There is a trail that takes you around the lake edge, easy walking. Not a lots if fishing right from the edge by the campsites due to tall grasses but there is a great fishing area with docks in a short drive or 20 min walk.

Was on site 18…we had 2 tents and 2 cars and plenty of room.

Cozy campground, easy access, drive in, open area

This campground was a cozy drive-in but had few trees in summer which allowed for an exposed feeling. The campground itself was mediocre but the surrounding hikes and views were incredible. Amenities were great, but there was no challenge involved.