Advance, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Advance Camping Reviews
Great stop over

Other than the need of some gravel due to the rain. Great place to stop over

Never again.

This is more of a mobile home park than an actual campground. Many campers are full time residents, a couple of which eerily reminded us of the movie Deliverance. One of the families there doesn't appear to watch their children well, as we had their toddler in a very full diaper and their son (approx 10 yo) constantly at our campsite asking for food. The boy likes to throw rocks, a couple of which scratched our car. : (

The shower/restroom area was frightening. Very dark and dirty. Doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned.

Owner was not very friendly and seemed to be put out by having to rent us a space. We'll never go there again and can't recommend this place to anyone.

Beautiful but rustic

Be prepared to truly rough it if you camp here. No electrical or sewer hook ups for rvs. Perfect for traveling campers that are packing light and have minimal needs.

This camp ground is comfortable but still maintains its wilderness feel.

This camp ground is great for families and anyone looking to go outdoors. I highly recommend going online to reserve a spot ahead of time. From the times I’ve been there everyone calls ahead for there lots. There is plenty to do like hiking, fishing, swimming, and even horse back riding. And it you are an off road enthusiast, they have made some fantastic off road trails south of the Forrest. The only thing I have about this campground is the restrooms they provide are not the cleanest, so prepare yourself if your not used to that. Overall, I love this campsite.

Pretty Basic

Plentiful campsites, we arrived on a Friday without a reservation and were able to get a spot. There is a swimming pool, but we didn't swim. Some hikes nearby, but far from the swimming spots in the Uwharrie National Forest. No bathrooms near the campsites, but there were spigots with potable water. The tent pads were even and well packed. All sites had a picnic bench and a fire pit with a grate.

Wet well maintained

This is a nice campground. It’s very well maintained. The staff is nice. It’s also close to shopping and restaurants

Nice shaded park

The park has plenty of shaded lots as well as some without trees. WiFi is not very good. But it is a nice campground.

Awesome experience

Perfect Cabin! Just needed a couple days away and was as good as I could hope for. Staff are great and helpful.

No hot water at bath house beware.

Nice spot for a bit of seclusion

Only three sites on this little out of the way fire trail. We go to the end of the road for complete privacy. No amenities other than a fire pit.

Family friendly campground

Nice campground with a decent bathhouse. There is no AC in the bathhouses. Site 98 in the electric loop is for tent and pop up campers, but is not pop up camper friendly. The ground is very uneven. There are many trails to go on. We went on the Big Rocks Trail. There wasn’t much to see until we got to the end of it and went down the cliff. Then the views were amazing. It was not a loop trail, but you hike to the cliff then turn around and go back the way you came. They offer canoe and row boat rentals, they have a swimming pool that is open after Memorial Day. They also have a museum you can check out during the day. Overall, nice campground. We enjoyed our time there and were able to see several deer.

Love it

Will go back again an again. Site 10 our 11 are the best.

Great little secret spot

Found this place in September 2018 and went back 3 more times before winter. The owner (Barry) takes great care of the place and customer service is top notch. Access to a sliding rock and waterfall in Stone Mountain State Park with an approximate 1 mile easy hike.

Contact information can be found on Facebook.

The bath house is kept spotless.

Great place

So, I finally made it! After years of life in North Carolina I've practically driven past this park a hundred times. I've heard all about it too. And while it's not a "mountain" per se, at just over 900 feet it's about the tallest and most prominent point in this part of the state. There's a significant history both geologically and archaeologically in this specific area that's fascinating.

The Pee Dee and Yadkin rivers snake through these large hills (Morrow Mtn. is clustered with a few others over 400 feet tall all within the park) to feed Lake Tillery. I remember vividly multiple trips to camp on Lake Tillery as a child but I can't, for the life of me, remember a trip to the state park.

On my trip this past weekend I decided to hike the eponymous Morrow Mountain Trail. Actually, the trails were a bit confusing and hard to follow. Many ran in together and split again later. Signage attempted to be helpful but ended up confusing me more at many junctions. It didn't help that recent storms and rain knocked down several large trees and cut streams through the trails to make for a somewhat muddy hike. Toward the end of the trail you start to gain some serious and immediate elevation. It did become quite strenuous, though I had run an 8k just the day before. The view was seriously worth it though. The park info lady in the office said you could see Charlotte from the top, though I forgot to really look…

Maybe because it's the off-season or because of the recent weather, but the park was not crowded at all. This excursion made for a proper rounding-out of a pleasant weekend. I got my NC state park passport book stamped and really had a peaceful time here.

Awesome place

Very nice get away for a weekend!

Nice RV Campground for the Family

Part of the Thousand Trails System. 2 swimming pools, camp store, snack bar, fishing pond (I cought 2 sunfishes in 30 min & I’m no fisherman) basketball court, mini golf, & playground equipment. Multiple bathrooms with showers - nothing fancy, but, adequate. The camping sites are close together, but, that seems standard in these types of campgrounds. People seems friendly and the staff were professional. Store has snacks, some camping stuff, & fishing bait. Snack bar has fast food & video games. Lodge has TV & pool table (we did not try either) but nice amenity for rainy days. It seems like most campers (at least half) had golf carts. This was our 1st stop on a coast to coast adventure with a 5 year old & 2 large dogs. This is mostly a RV park & not a wilderness experience - but as far as RV parks go - I was very happy with the experience.

Great for Scout Troops

Two weeks ago, my Scout troop (Troop 2 out of High Point)  used campsite 3 in the group area.  It was perfect for us.  We've stayed at several others before as well.  While a student at Wake, I hiked the trails frequently.   So, I know the park pretty well.

The SP is in a great location, especially if you are in Central NC.  There is easy access, and good roads for a decent driver.  The roads are marked well.

The park is also close to a good canoe/kayak rental outfitter called The Dan River Company.   (If you want a craft beer after your trek, they have a small tavern there.)

The campsites in the group areas were good and clean.  There were picnic tables and fire rings.  Our site actually had 3 fire rings with benches and 4 picnic tables.   These are rustic, which is fine for me.  If you are looking for showers and gravel tent pads, don't stay there.   Frankly, I'd just as soon as camp on concrete as a gravel tent pad.  There is also a mowed field next to the group campsites to play in or just chill and watch the stars. Oh, and the ranger basically encouraged us to hike and roam the park at night.  I don't think I've ever had a ranger ask if I planned to drive around a park at night.

The trails to the top are made for hikers and people who walk.  You will not get up to either summit by driving or riding anything.  The trails aren't that tough, but are going to test you if you do not get out much.   I prefer the view from Moore's Knob.

Gorgeous open space, music venue, great views - tough road!

Jomeokee Campground is located in Pinnacle NC, near Pilot Mountain NC - and has a great view of Pilot Mountain from many of the campsites.  This campground is set back off the road, quite a ways, which makes it nice and quiet from road traffic, though you can hear trucks rumble in the night on 52.

The fields and the grassy areas are goregous - leaving the kids to run and explore and watch fireflies.  Yet many of the campsites are uneven and picnic tables are in need of repairs.  You can find a nice campsite (shown below) when you pull through the one way road which left us wondering about our alignment!

The campground owner was very friendly and kind - and the sunset was fantastic!  Hiking in Pilot Mountain State Park is just minutes away and the views from the top can't be beat!

This is a great state park for hiking, seeing waterfalls, and for views!

There are a lot of reasons to love Hanging Rock State Park. That’s why it is probably my favorite state park in North Carolina.  However, I am torn between giving it two stars and giving it five stars.  In general, I would give the park five stars, but for the camping facilities, I would rate it two stars.  There is so much to do without having to leave the state park.  First, let’s look at the park itself, and close to the end I will discuss the campground.

To get to the park, you drive through beautiful rolling hills. The park has a modern visitor center with a nature center and friendly rangers.  There are lots of trails to explore, but they are not just trails to nowhere.  There are five waterfalls to see, a climbing access area, Cook’s Wall, and much more.  Moore’s Wall Loop Trail is a 4.3 mile strenuous hike, and it begins by walking by the lake.  There is a platform about halfway through the hike in which you can see the skylines of Greensboro and Winston-Salem.  My favorite trail is the Hanging Rock Trail, which is listed as moderate.  Parts of it are moderate, very short stretches are easy, and much of it is strenuous.  The last part of the Hanging Rock Trail is the most difficult, but the view at the end is worth the hike because it is spectacular.  From the hanging rock (I should say rocks since there are more than one), you can see for many miles across several counties.  The shortest hike to see a waterfall is relatively easy and is only three-tenths of a mile one way.  The lake has a swimming beach with mountains in the background, and there are also rowboats and canoes for rent.  According to what I understand from their website, canoe rentals and concession stands at the lake are open weekends only in the spring and fall (10am - 5:30pm).   I was hoping to take my kayaks next time, but unfortunately, private boats are not allowed.  Two large picnic shelters are also close to the lake.

Here is why I would give it two stars.  The camping sites are shaded and spacious with picnic tables, lantern poles, and fire rings, but the bathroom facility is outdated (built in the 1960s).  Even though it has hot water, it is NOT handicap accessible, and the shower doors are narrow.  If you are not a skinny person, you might have trouble squeezing through the shower doors.  There are no electrical, water, or sewer hookups; however, there is access to water by way of frostproof hydrants. The campground hosts were very helpful and answered my questions.  You can also purchase bundles of firewood since taking your own firewood into the park is frowned upon.  If you are like me, however, and camp to experience the outdoors, you will not want to stay at your campsite very long.  There are just too many things to explore at this state park.  If you are going and want to truly experience the park, plan to camp at least three nights.  One day you can explore Upper Cascades falls and the hanging rock.  On another day, you can hike the Moore’s Wall trail and cool off in the lake.  On another day, see a couple more waterfalls or hike the Reuben Mountain Trail.

There is also a group camping area.  I took the Boy Scouts there once, so I decided to visit this time to see if it was still the same.  They have added bathrooms and more well-defined tent sites—quite an improvement since the last time.

Breath Taking

Lots of nice spot, tons of wildlife and deer. Plenary of hiking and mice shower house. A must do.

Very clean

Very clean and neat park. Camp host was very helpful. Plenty to do for adults and children.

On the water

Awesome sites very quit and relaxing. I love it Army Core of Engineers. Very well kept up and the host are the best.

On the water

Clean. Beautiful. Run by wonderful people. Would definitely recommend and will stay again

State Park with Biking, Hiking, and Fishing Opportunities

The name of the park is deceiving because it is not in the mountains, but it has beauty in its meandering streams and trails.  The campsites have gravel tent pads, and tents must be set up on them.  The gravel on the site where I stayed was deeper than my tent stakes were long, and I could not get a good hold.  I was trying out a newly required tent, which was not freestanding, so it was frustrating.  My advice is to make sure you take a tent that IS freestanding.  Deep gravel tent pads and non-freestanding tents do not go together.  The tent site was large, had a fire ring, and a lantern pole, but the pad itself was NOT level.  I had to move the picnic table so I could set up my tent on the only level spot I could find.  Something you have to be careful about is poison ivy.  There was poison ivy all around the perimeter of my campsite.  The bathroom facilities were surprisingly modern and had spacious showers with hot water.  As far as I know, there are no electrical, sewer, or water hookups, but there is a dump station.  There is a mixture of pull-through sites and back in sites for RVs.  There are plenty of trails to explore, and plenty of fishing holes.  The Bluff Loop Trail leads from the campground and along Fishing Creek.  To see Medoc “mountain,” you have to hike quite a distance, or you can drive to the park office down the road and hike from there.  Cross the road to the Bear Swamp Trail, get on the Saponi Loop (which is also a bicycle trail), and then head to the Summit Loop Trail.  There are several miles of bicycle trails as well as hiking trails, and some of them are one way only, meaning that hikers are required to hike in one direction and bicycles go in another direction.  Even though this is in the Coastal Plain, the Bluff Loop Trail will take you by a couple of sections of whitewater.  They are small, but if you like a (mostly) easy hike through the forest, this trail is a good one.  There are no swimming pools or playgrounds, but if you want to just enjoy nature, there are hiking, biking, and fishing opportunities.

Friendly place but small and on a huge hill.

We stayed at the Electric and water campsite at the bottom of the hill.  The lots were nice but rather small and close together.  There's not a lot of room off the pad for tents etc.  The road through the campground is rather steep and could be hard for large trailers or class A's.  It's also quite a walk to the shower building from most areas.  The pool is nice and well maintained as is the pavilion where they hold events.  The bathrooms leave a little to be desired.  There are only two showers and 3 toilets for men and the same for women.  There are additional bathrooms by the Pavilion but those aren't convenient from most of the campground.  Most of the lower sites are VERY hilly and would make it very difficult to find a large level area for an RV or large tent.  The owners and long termers seem very friendly and welcoming.  The pond is beautiful and pretty good for some fishing with the kids (we caught a bunch of tiny little panfish that would be fun for kids…  a fish every cast).

Convenient Weekend Spot

I’ve gone here a number of times and it is great for its convenience. You can drive up to a parking lot, walk into the woods and set up shop. There are sites at the parking lot and also plenty of people just walk down the gravel road and shoot off into the woods. You’re close enough to the cars that you can bring more. Will definitely be back!

Great Campground

I tent camped at Morrow Mountain state park. As a campsite it is wonderful. Great camp pad to set up your tent on and very nice bathrooms. The only thing i would say negatively about it is that it is quite off the beaten path so does take time to drive all the way through the park to the campground. Other than that it had a very nice atmosphere

Ranger Review: Eclipse Sunshirt @ Pilot Mountain State Park

Campground Review:

Pilot Mountain campground is a smaller loop campground with 2 bathhouses (toilets and showers - with FREE hot water!).  Located not far from Winston Salem NC, Pilot Mountain has great hiking and beautiful views from the top.  We enjoy hiking, camping and enjoying the views, while others enjoy bouldering, rock climbing and mountain biking  - an outdoor adventure for all people!

We camped at site #5 this time - on the inside of the loop, though we usually prefer perimeter sites.  We were excited to get out there and hike in the morning before it was too hot.  This campground is sloped, with rolling hills, which makes for a nice loop to walk dogs etc.  Our tent pad was perfectly flat, and dry and we slept with no fly - which made for a gorgeous morning sunrise!

Our tent pad was also much lower than our campfire, which meant we could lay IN our sleeping bags and look out at the fire - which was awesome!  We did check out some other sites for next time - as we prefer flatter sites where we can walk more easily at night without tripping (so often) over rocks.   We also saw deer early in the morning!

We hiked to the top on the Grindstone Trail (about 2 miles) to the top and enjoyed an early morning view of the surrounding communities.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time.  Today I am reviewing Eclipse Sunshirts ( https://eclipseglove.com/collections/all-eclipse-sun-products).  I often dress my kids in long sleeve hiking shirts to protect their skin and was excited to try a unique sun shirt that I could wear - that wasn't skin tight!  I tested the Equinox hoodie and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  I was hesitant that their products were one size fits all - but we have a medium, large and an XL in our family and we all wore the shirt and one point or another and  LOVED it!  (See how it fits us all in the pictures below!)

The design is like a large sweatshirt - only their are holes under your arms and on your sides to allow circulation (and a little breeze!).  I especially liked the shirt when we were at the top of Pilot Mountain because there is limited shade, depending where you are standing.  I could see this shirt being useful on other hikes when we hike on balds and cross many peaks.

This shirt was especially beneficial in direct, HOT sun (and it was a 97 degree day - so perfect opportunity!).  In the shade, I prefered to take it off, to allow more breeze and have less fabric touching my skin.  Without a doubt, moving back into the sun, I was cooler WITH the shirt ON than with the shirt off.  I have since used the Equinox hoodie when gardening, walking the dog and even at my school's field day!  For sun protection that does not involve chemicals, I cannot recommend it enough.

Fun fishing

We went fishing for part of the day here. My son thought he was cool because he was the only one to catch fish. The dog was not thrilled!!