Watervliet, NEW YORK

Most Recent Watervliet Camping Reviews
Can’t wait to go back

We go to this park every year and are never disappointed. Minutes from Lake George Village.

Small, loud, muddy

Unfortunately, I was not a big fan of this small campground. Right from the start, upon checkin, I bought two $5 ea. bundles of wood after being assured they were "kiln dried".  The wood wouldn't catch no matter what I tried -- not even with the help of some fire starter.  The tent site itself was very small and barely fit my truck and tent.  It was made smaller still because of the mud and holes on the perimeter of the site. At night, there was a lot of traffic noise nearby and despite a posted quiet time, other campers were slamming car doors over and over and talking at the top of their lungs, making it difficult to sleep. The surrounding state forest was pretty and the trails were in decent shape.

Nice and quiet campground in the woods

Once again, we arrived after dark (the days are way too short in the fall)! and although Google Maps guided us correctly to this campground, we also appreciated the very good signage directing us! This campground is set way back in the woods and except for the hooting owl and an occasional barking dog from other campers, it was VERY quiet. No road noise at this campground!

The campsites are spread out over a big area. Sites 1-9 are located near Berry Pond and are serviced by a pit toilet. The rest are about 1.5 miles south on the loop road. We were originally in site 29 but we would have had to walk through a path in the woods to get to the bathroom; since it was dark when we arrived, we were happy to switch to Site 32, much closer. Our site was level but not all of them appeared to be so. Many trees provide privacy. It looked like the restroom/shower building was fairly new and it was very clean. There is also a group campground and day-use areas.

The next morning, I set off to walk the loop road, thinking it would be a couple of miles at most. Surprise– it was over four miles and HILLY! I got a good workout, but it was a beautiful walk. The reward was seeing Berry Pond and the view when I finally reached the top of the hill. Wish we had more time to take a hike or explore the area more.

Really more of an RV park now.

This was our third year tenting at this campground, each trip was the same weekend in September to attend the FreshGrass music festival in North Adams, MA. While there are a few designated tent sites, it’s clear this is an RV park. The new-ish owner greeted us enthusiastically, as always, but seemed so distracted by everything else going on that it made it difficult to understand what he’s trying to tell you. We found it a little rude to be treated as though, because we were tenters and weren’t hauling in a camper, we were not as important as the crowd of RVs pulling in.

We booked our site in mid-April for a September stay and requested a specific site as requested on the registration form, but upon arrival the owner moved us to a different site with no explanation.

Overall the campground is clean and family-friendly, with activities for the kiddos. The bathroom/shower is adequate, but far away from tent sites and look unfinished and a bit rundown. I assume this will be the next renovation for the new owners.

We go every year and love it

Friends and I camp here every June, and we love being close to the river. We sleep in tents so the sound of the river put  you to sleep at night. Excellent campground for cooking delicious meals over the fir and sitting around the fire later. We also tube down the river. Very clean restrooms and nice staff.

low key and beautiful fall getaway

Keep in mind that this review is written after camping sept 8th (the week that school started for many) so it might not be relevant to peak camping season. We were pleasantly surprised with our weekend getaway to Clarksburg State Park. Nestled in the Berkshires and basically walking distance to Vermont, Clarksburg State Park provides a comfortable and semi-private tent site. Several spots (including ours 6) were very close to the rather large pond. While the trees obstruct the views, the site was waterfront and we were able to walk a few yards downhill to the waters edge where we launched our kayaks (there is a designated launching spot elsewhere). No electric and water hookups are provided but we were totally okay with that. Bear boxes were provided on each site so that you don’t have to keep stinky food or garbage in your car! Each site also had a fire pit with a grate so that you can cook right there on the fire. The bathrooms were some of the cleanest campground bathrooms and showers i’ve experienced (no bugs or webs also) and there was a dishwashing station on the side. The sites were large and well spaced but they had trees in between so that you felt privacy. The campground itself had plenty of sites, firewood for sale in the front and a pavilion and beach area on the day use side. There are plenty of trails you can hop on right outside your tent site and very little light pollution for optimal star gazing. We really enjoyed our time here and will definitely be back!

Very Nice

This place is very beautiful and rustic at the same time. The employees are all very friendly. Once you get the hang of getting around the area there is so much to do, I can't wait to go back.

Our favorite campground but a bit pricey.

We love going to Lake George RV Park.  It's got large sites, virtually all blacktop roads, bike trails, dog park, indoor pool, outdoor pool and another (new) water park with zero-entry pool.  Great store on-site, Movie theater & shows/entertainment, tennis courts, ball park, paddleball courts.  Pretty close to Lake George Village and the lake, but not on it (about 5 miles).

My only minor issue was with WIFI on one trip, but most of the time it's pretty good for a campground.

We try to get there once or twice a year.

Great staff

Overall had a wonderful experience at zoar campsite in charlemont ma. Staff was awesome, went out of their way to tAke care of our group from camping to rafting. Highly recommend the site.

Amenities are well maintained. Could use a refresh but overall great experience will be back

Beautiful wooded area

We found the service and campsite lovely. The wooded area was breathtaking. Facilities were clean and functional but needed some maintenance/updating. Camp store was well stocked; staff knowledgeable about the area.

I was hoping for something nicer

I think its an ok place, they seem to really care about the campground but oursite was like sitting in an open spot on display. Call them up and ask for their help choosing something that offers privacy. The bath house was clean but they have pay showers….really for the price you pay. To camp.  It is convenient to mt graylock. We had a water hookup and gray water dry well.  I dont think i would stay there again.

A beautiful new (only 10 years old) campground

On the banks of the Hudson River close to Albany & Troy. Large sites with power hookups. There is water available to fill your fresh water tank along the main road. The bath houses are very clean and used for emergency shelter for bad weather. And this is quiet! I can't say enough good things - the best campground I ever stayed at!

Large park, things to do, places to go

Booked an "Elite 50amp" site but had no realistic map to go by. Many if these types of sites are parallel to the water, but the map makes them look like back in sites. If your site neighbors are in their spots already when you arrive it will probably be hard to navigate unless you have a 20' rig. We don't, ours is over 33'and we were lucky that our site neighbors were both home to move their trucks so we could get in. Once in our site had a steep drop off to the lake, not all are like this, but be cautious about this if you have young kids.

They have many activities you can do on site (swimming in pools or lakes, kayaking, paddleboarding, fishing, floating, bike riding, playgrounds or weekly planned events). They advertise having a trolly shuttle but never saw it while we were there.

Had some issues with the lack of lighting on the roads while walking our dogs and this only made it worse when the seasonals fly around in golf carts paying no mind to the large trucks trying to get by. The dumpsters were FAR away from everything so that was also an annoyance. They also have hundreds of sites and only one area with dumpsters, seems like poor planning. At the end of the weekend people had piled many garbage bags near the small garbage cans around the grounds.

The roads are narrow and many should be one way, but are not. It would have been impossible many places in the grounds to pass a rig on the road due to the amount of other's vehicles, golf carts, decorations etc… so patience is important when arriving and departing. The gas powered golf carts were also a bit of a negative only because our site was next to a speed bump, so the noise was a little but worse for us.

Had an issue with water pressure on Saturday around 10am and called the office to make sure there was not a known water issue. Front desk knew nothing and said they would send maintenance but we never saw anyone. The situation improved so we think it was just a high demand time of day.

We would return here due to the proximity to Lake George and Saratoga, but we would choose a totally different type of site.

We were on site 219 to give you perspective when viewing photos.

Nice, quiet, rustic

Basic camping in a quiet, older campground. Very pretty beach area at the reservoir where you can paddle and swim. No hook ups available but only $20 per night for a site that was plenty big enough for a small motor home. Mostly tent campers though and spots would be tough for anything much bigger. Bathhouse was clean and had a pay shower.

Nice find...

I was headed from NY to ME and decided to make it a two day trip. VT State Parks have a two night minimum but as this was a Thursday I decided to take a shot. Got there in the late afternoon and a couple sites were open so it all worked out.

This was just an overnight stop so I didn't explore much but it is definitely on the list should I get back up that way again.

Site was shaded and private. The bath house was nice. The coin operated shower was a surprise but I had enough quarters for 10 minutes :)

Highway noise galore

Nice sites, way to close to Northway. I'm longing for home, for peace and quiet. Which is why I like camping. For quiet, it's hard to have a conversation without the need to shout or repeat what you said over the traffic. It doesn't die down overnight. There are so many other campgrounds to go to. I unfortunately will not come back here again. It is clean, not many campers.

Clean and Friendly

The Whippoorwill Motel and Campsites is an amazing quaint place to stay while visiting Lake George and the Adirondacks! We stayed here two nights at the beginning of August(2019) and couldn't have had a better experience. The new owners took over just two months prior, so they are busy doing upgrades to the camp office and store and around the campground. The upgrades being made did not impact the quality of camp sites or other facilities.

Additionally, the personal attention provided by Will and his father made us feel like regulars. Will's father greeted me by name every time he saw me and would stop what he was doing to chat. We stayed at one of the full hookup sites during this visit.

There are less than 50 total sites in the campground and only a hand-full had full hookups. Most did have water and electric. The sites are VERY Level, good sized, close, but spacious enough to have an enjoyable stay without being on top of each other. The cottages and motel looked nice from the outside. There is a nice sized and landscaped swimming pool, game room, and large community fire pit to enjoy. The location of the campground is ideal. Only two miles south of Lake George and a few miles north of the Outlet Mall. Another amenity is the paved bike path that goes along the back of the campground and runs between Lake George and Glen Falls. This was a great amenity and can help avoid all the traffic at Lake George by riding bikes into town. Overall this was a great place to stay to explore the area. Being smaller in size meant less traffic and noise, but didn't mean less enjoyment. The campground and buildings were well maintained and conveyed a welcoming atmosphere. The one area where Whippoorwill is lacking is the camp store/office, but this is the area they are currently updating so I expect great things in the future. We look forward to returning in the future.

Great Spot!

Big and spacious state park with many camping options. Has options for trailers, tent sites, platforms for tents and even some cabins. Small store in park that sells firewood and ice and a few other things you may need. Big lake with swimming and boating as well as many hiking trails. Bathrooms on site as well as showers. Some sites are close together, but there are a few a little more secluded and set back. Fire pits are great. Can’t wait to camp here again!

Not worth the trip

Stayed here on my way to and from Littleton NH KOA (wonderful place). Sites are crowded, uneven and trashy. Staff is indifferent, not really rude, but not very helpful. Although I had made reservations for both nights, they only had the first, and only a no-show let me have a site. Try someplace else!

Can’t beat the price

If you like camping without a lot of extras, this is a good choice. We stayed here for the ADK Balloon Festival in September twice. Pros: cost and close to town. Cons: small sites (my pic is of 2 sites together), loud! We had people party all night both times we were there. Also a truck pulled in late and just parked next to our tent site and left by 5 am so it was used as a rest stop and they were loud. The cannon from the fort and the music from the MinneHaHa also added to the ambiance. We won’t be going back as it doesn’t have electric at the sites but if you are a bare bones camper and don’t mind loud neighbors, it may work for you.

"The Whip"

Found this great campground 2 years ago while looking for a seasonal to retire my 1994 Georgie boy cruisemaster too. It has everything you are looking for in a campground. Pool , private 6 acre lake, playground, gameroom, camp store , pavilion area, full hookup sites ,pull throughs, tent sites , pump out service , pump out area. All for a reasonable prices. And it's family run , so it still hasn't got caught up in that corporate campground mentality.

The best in Northeast

This is the best RV resort I have visited. The whole family will love, including pets. I can't do justice to the dog park, it has to be the best dog park in USA.

Everything you want in an RV park. The only think missing is a large lake but you can take trolley to Lake George. You set up and will not need your car until you leave.

Trolley through the park and to Lake George. Awesome camp store. Tennis, pickle ball, basketball. Movies, pools, splash pad, trails, fishing pond, food & ice cream. The list goes on. A must stay.

Small and chill! I love this place.

This campground is a secret gem. They have new bathrooms/showers and family bathrooms. There's a playground, a pavilion, they do fireside jams. I wish they'd bring back open mic! The staff is friendly, the firewood is reasonable and there's a Stewarts about 10 minutes away for other supplies.

Very nice

Nice campground with wooded sites, a rec hall, pool and small fishing pond. They have a large field for play with basketball and volleyball and even had entertainment Saturday night. Gorgeous area to explore and hike. Would definitely come back.

Large sites, planned activities, minutes from lake George

Campground has large full hook up campsites and plenty of them. Each site is mostly level and seems private with having greenery around each site. There are planned activities each day like limbo, scavenger hunts, movie night at the pool( in summer months) and a great pool to swim in with two water slides. At $96/ night it is pricey, but still less expensive than staying at a hotel resort. Bonus is you camp in July, there are raspberry bushes throughout the park!!

Ranger Review of GCI at Brookside Campground

Ranger review: GCI at Brookside Campground

CAMPGROUND REVIEW We ended up at this campground because the family we were traveling with needed to accommodate their 50 foot camper. As a rule of thumb- I try to visit as little RV parks as I can, but we were trying to find somewhere that would accommodate both of our needs.

While it is true that this campground does specialize in large groups and is one of the only places in the area that will host a rig as big as my uncles, that was about the only thing it had going for it.

Grounds were dilapidated. It was like they had too much to handle. The lawn was overgrown at our site, the bathrooms were always in need of something… it was just a glorified trailer park.

I will say that the spots were spacious, particularly pertaining to tent sites. However- the brook that the campground is named after is mostly stagnant. So prepare for an abundance of mosquitos!

Another perk is the location. It was really nice to be right near The Catskills. However, I will most definitely be taking advantage of the smaller and quieter campgrounds around.

Would recommend for: people with big rigs. Large groups with children. The sports “complex” and pool actually looked very nice and well maintained. There were kids everywhere.

RANGER REVIEW ON… GCI OUTDOOR CHAIRS

So if you’ve been keeping up with my ranger reviews, you know I am always very pleasantly surprised by the things I’ve gotten the opportunity to test out that I never knew I needed. Camping Chairs were actually on my list of things to acquire this year for our trips, so I was psyched (as usual) when I found out GCI Outdoors would be what I got to check out.

I purchased the “Eazy” chair and the Roadtrip Rocker.

So first, the Eazy chair. It’s a good looking chair that comes packed away in a pouch that slings over your shoulder. It’s pretty heavy, but we happened to be car camping this time around so that wasn’t a big deal. The arm rests are sturdy, the chair is comfortable to sit in.

The Roadtrip rocker I was really excited about. And the thing is pretty awesome. The patented hydrolics is pretty nifty and it’s really neat how it works. I was surprised to find that it packed so easily into its sack, and has a sling so that you can carry it where you need to go.

Grab your own here:

Super quiet and clean!

The place was packed but you wouldn’t know it. So peaceful. The pool was very cold but spotless, which was surprising since there’s pine trees all around. We would definitely go back. Only side note would be that if we brought our kids, ages 8, 16 and 19, they might be a little bored. But I guess they can stay home 😂

Great campsite, great pool. Cafe service is horrendous. Preachy.

The goods:

Campsites are the largest and most private I've ever seen. Fantastic. Good privacy.

Dunno why others are complaining about the 3 rocks as a fire pit. Plenty functional and directs the heat out towards the seating area.

The pool is as good as it looks in the pictures. Your kids will be here every day and love it. The deepest the pool gets is around 4 feet. There are 2 slides and they are pretty well monitored.

The check in staff and the store staff are great. Very helpful. The camp store is pretty well stocked.

The needs improvement:

The café staff are completely incompetent. I went through 3 people to find someone that spoke English. A very basic order of 2 slushies took over 20 minutes and they were both wrong. I watched the same thing happen to the next 4-5 families while my kids drank their slushies. It has a ton of potential but terrible execution. I tried again a day or two later and bought some lunch, it took an hour and the order was wrong.

The playlist at the pool area seems to alternate between Jimmy buffett / Bob marley (great!) and a 5 year old's sunday school religious kid songs (wth??). Super annoying. Combine that with the pamphlets handed out at check-in, it's a little preachy. Save that for church, I'm here to camp, Thank you.

Very Nice Place

Good sized sites, very clean lake, staff very friendly and accommodating, bath houses were clean. We plan to camp there again

Super friendly family run campground

Great place that’s about 50/50 permanent sites and rentals. They have lots to do, the owners are very friendly and accommodating, the campground is one of the quietest we’ve ever stayed at, both at night and in the morning. There are many pull through sites, lots of wooded sites, and open areas for kids to play. We were impressed by how they didn’t cram extra sites into these areas, though there is plenty of room. Electric, water, and septic hookups were all modern and in great shape.