Sandia Knolls , NEW MEXICO

Camping New Mexico Sandia Knolls

Most Recent Sandia Knolls Camping Reviews
Not open until March. Save the trip.

We decided to rent a van and take a 10 day trip and just keep hitting dead ends but that makes half the adventure doesnt it?? A cold front came thru and we wanted a campsite last minute with electric to run our space heater in the van, but this location was closed even though it came up on the list available. Just wanted to give y'all a heads up before you drive circles like we did! Cheers!

THis is NOT a campground.... it is PICNIC area ONLY!

This is a picnic ground area, signs everywhere stating that you may NOT camp here!

We go here on a regular basis to hike as it has trailhead for several great hiking trails as well as restrooms….. but NO camping allowed.  Ever.

One of our favorites in NM!

Great campground but be aware it is ALL first come access.  Most of the campsites will fit a tent or smaller camper, there are 50+ sites, but only a handful that will fit a large 5th wheel or Class A size.  Most of the larger sites are on Coyote loop which is closed in winter.  We stayed on Ebert Loop in site 10 which fit our 24' camper.

Most of the campsites are nicely spread out and lots of trees.  Very quiet and peaceful.

Hiking trails right from the campground, too.

Dish washing station at bathrooms is awesome.

No showers.

Flush toilets and sinks for brushing teeth in morning which we appreciate.

We were just there in Feb and it was only 1/4 full…. but from Spring-Fall it will be full most nights so get there early.

Good place to stay near Albuquerque and just a few miles from I-40

The manager was very nice and helpful. Campground is functional; campsites are kinda close to each other.

Beautiful and Affordable NM Stop

We stayed at La Vista for one night on our way through New Mexico heading to Utah. The owners are extremely friendly and were very helpful. They are a couple who own the park independently and you can tell the long term renters are happy there.

We woke up to a gorgeous view of the nearby scenery and were just a half mile from a Loves to gas up and head out for another day of driving.

Great Stop

Perfect little campground to check out Bandelier Monument. Sites were well spaced and had a decent amount of privacy. We visited during the end of January and the camp was pretty empty.

Nice fire pits, $1.00 per log.

Great stopover spot

Clean, level, and straight forward park that was a convenient and comfortable spot to stop for the night on a road trip.

Price was a fantastic deal!

A quaint pull-through park

A well organized park by a helpful staff. The pull-through sites are easily assessable and long enough for an F250 w/30’ travel trailer and not be detached. The park is clean and quaint. *Pet friendly but doesn’t allow “outside pet cages, kennels, or pet fencing” probably because they don’t want the dogs outside alone. Overall, and it being the first time visit I would recommend American RV Resort.@

Kind of a pain

On our full hook up site the dump sight was in a bad place. We would of had to un hook from our truck to fully hook up. We only stayed one night and didn’t use any of the facilities.

Empty in winter!

I arrived after dark on December 28th, and at first missed the turn off for the camping, but using the map here on the Dyrt, could see where I went wrong.

Google gets you there, as soon as you cross the cattle stile into the park, take your first left which comes very quickly. Dispersed camping is on both sides of this road. If you go a little further, you’ll see the vault toilets on the right (I couldn’t find these until the morning).

It was completely deserted, except for one RV (I am sleeping in my car). In the morning I discovered a car which looks like someone may be living in the park, but saw no signs of anyone.

It is beautiful! I woke up to an inch of snow! One downside- it’s right next to a landfill. There was no smell, but I could hear all of the equipment in the morning.

Easy to find, clean, safe (I’m a solo woman). I’d stay here again!