The best DRIVE IN camping near
Nageezi , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Nageezi Camping Reviews
Absolutely stunning

It takes my breath away! They have picnic tables and fire pit with grill for each site.

Just be ready for a "casual" experience

This RV Park is the most haphazardly laid out place I've seen. Imagine if you had a really large lot. Near the front, you own a small beauty parlor. On your land are a couple of old mobile homes. You decide to add some RV hookups(probably 20 years ago) and you just kinda scatter them about in what is only a semblance of order. That gives you an idea. I had called a few weeks before and"reserved" a 50 amp site(there are only 2). She took my name. That was it. No confirmation#, nothing. I had a bad feeling from the start. We arrive just before 7(that's when we said we'd arrive) and both 50 amp spots were taken. She had forgotten we were coming. She offered us a 30 amp site, which for one night, was more than fine. We backed in(sites are uneven, we had to add blocks to keep our motorhome from being held in the air by the jacks) and started set up. I got my money's worth from my EMS that day! We got a reverse polarity error!!! Fortunately, the site near us(unused) was close enough I could run my power cable that way, and it checked out okay. After that, all was well.

It's a very good location, on the north end of Cuba(tiny town). We grabbed take out dinner from the historic El Bruno restaurant, which was phenomenal. The next morning, we struck camp and drove away. It all worked out okay, but don't expect your reservations to be honored. Theresa is super friendly, but clearly relies only on her memory to help her with reservations. Be prepared with a Plan B, I guess, in case you show up and she's rented everything. But at$20, it's a reasonable stay.

Closed Nov 1 2020 through Feb 28, 2021

We just had our reservations canceled by Recreation.gov. Due to Covid, the campground is temporarily closed.   Now, looking for an alternative.

Great stop

Great laundry with big washers and driers and lots of space to fold clothes. The bathrooms are big and very clean. Owner was so great and so kind. Will stay again when passing through. Only downside is there are no trees or grass but it was perfect for what we needed!

Very quiet!

Nice quiet FREE place to stay the night even though there were quite a few campers. Camping is in the parking lot area and basically any pull off you can find a space. If you’re in a tent just hike off anywhere and pitch it for the night. There are no trail markers so just be aware while exploring the very cool formations. Off hwy 371, at the T in the road turn left (Google maps said to turn right just FYI) continue down to parking lot or along the road.

There are pit toilets, no water or garbage. I was able to get AT&T and Verizon cell reception.

2nd time visit.

This is my second visit here this time with my wife. After I shared how amazing the night skies where she wanted to join me on my next trip. We will be spending a couple days here and the onwards to Bayfeild CO. It's been warm in the afternoon with no trees in our boondocking spot. We have been running the AC most afternoons till around 6-7pm. The evenings cool enough to just open all the trailers window and enjoy the evening. We've been grilling outdoors and sitting for hours at night enjoying the night skies. The dogs love it here too, plenty of trails for walks. As of now it's still is a no burn. Cell service has been good and over the air TV has plenty of channels to choose from.

Local Experience

Plan your next trip here!! I grew up a few miles away. it has always been great, it is better now. The campgrounds are spread all throughout the lake which reaches from Northern New Mexico into Colorado.

The Marina is newly remodeled and expansive. There are bass fishing tournaments, every type of boat rental, lake houses, a fishing area for kids, and much more.

The fishing at this lake and the San Juan river are world renowned. The river has a few guided tour companies, but Abe’s is the best. They have a store, gas, restaurant, and hotel.

The area is great whether you are in CO or NM. Durango, CO is a short drive away on the edge of the mountains. Ignacio houses a Casino and hotel nearby as well.

Beautiful sunsets, peaceful nights.

Spent three nights at this BLM campsite near Bloomfield NM. Amazing views, hiking trails, unreal sunsets and super peaceful nights. There are no services at this campsite. Cell service was good and decent WiFi, I also had available 10 over the air TV channels. This campsite is about 6 miles off HWY 550 with the first 1 1/2 miles being pretty washboard roads. Take it easy because it's worth the stay. First come, first served on spots and there is only about 9 of them.

Ranger Review: Banner and Oak Hat at Bisti Badlands

This campground is more like a parking lot with extended canyons for camping. You can set up shop right on the outskirts of the parking lot on the flat ground or in the nearby canyons or turnoffs on the road to get the the parking lot.

There is a pit toilet located there that is really well taken care of. There is also a picnic shelter for those super hot days when you are in need of shade.

You can also backpack across the wilderness area as well. You will need to check the weather and supply extra water since there is not much shade and no water sources.

For Hiking: We used Gaia GPS to pinpoint our coordinates to the "cool" spots and ended up getting detoured due to really cool formations all over the place. We were like moths to flames. It is such a cool spot and LOTS to see!

Gear review: Banner and Oak Freedom to Explore hat

Occasionally as a Ranger we get the opportunity to test out some gear from time to time. I got this hat for my partner and he wanted to test it out for a while before we reviewed it so we thought this was the perfect opportunity. You can find the hat here: https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/horizon-olive

This hat is extremely fashionable and comfortable. The color is a perfect Olive with black writing that says "Freedom To Explore". There is a mesh lining on the inner front of the hat that helps with sweat and heat. It also keeps you from getting a line across your forehead when removing the hat. He wore it all day and didn't take it off once for it being too loose or too tight. Even after a week fo wearing it everyday it didn't get that gross sweat smell that normal hats get.

The back of the hat has a buckle closure instead of snaps so it lays nice on the back of your head and doesn't dig in.

Great for RV stopovers but that's it

We were trying to find something before the sun went down and stopped here, but ended up moving on as they didn't have tent sites that we were interested in and we wanted a bit more seclusion. I was able to grab some info though. This campground is sort of between building of the fairgrounds.

About the park: This is a large RV park along the San Juan River between Farmington and Bloomfield. There are over 100 dry camping sites. 574 RV spaces with electric and water hookups.The sites don't have tables or fires pits. Each of these sites is 21’ by 41’. There is a dump station on site.  There are a lot of sites on the river.

Security patrols the area frequently.

Lots of activities happening at the fair and close to town.

Showers and restrooms are by fair buildings so they are a little walk away from the sites, hence the "prefect for RV's".