Darby, MONTANA

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Darby Camping Reviews
Get a tan while camping and fishing in this wide open campground

Fish Trap FAS campground is a nice campground along the Big Hole River. The campground is in the open as no trees occupy this area, the closest you can get to trees is some willows on the west end of the campground. While this campground sit along state highway 43, it is quiet at night as this is a lightly used highway with little to no truck traffic. The campground's 17 site all feature level gravel parking pads, picnic tables and metal fire rings, and plenty of grassy areas to pitch a tent. Two vault toilets serve the campground and water is listed as available on FWP's website, but I don't recall seeing it, but I did visit during the off season. I would consider this with out water if you where to camp as the website also list the boat ramp as being concrete but sure looked like a rock approach to the water. No trash service. Easy fishing access along the length of the camping area, about½ the campsites sit along the river. Camping fees are$12 with a valid fishing license,$18 without.

Beautiful Place to Camp

My wife and I along with our 2 young children visited the place last summer 2019 and had a great time. It’s beautiful there.

A gem spot

I've hiked to Jerry Johnson hot springs plenty of times, and finally decided to check out the campground! The site was really clean, the outhouses were immaculate! Honestly the nicest outhouse I have ever seen. I went during early October and the larches and deciduous trees were showing great fall colors. The campsite is a little close to the highway, but it was not very loud at night. In the fall, there is a reasonable amount of traffic, but I would assume it gets a little heavier in the summer.

Can’t be reserved

Very nice campground all sites paved but the sites can’t be reserved whole campground is a first come first served basis so if it is a planned stop try to get there by noon.

Peaceful

The camp hosts were informative and friendly. The sites and toilets were very clean. Sites on the river or just off. Easy trails to the river to relax and enjoy.

Great spot

Secluded and gorgeous. Campground is small only 3 spots but is free and provides a pit toilet. Would definitely stay here again.

Spacious and beautiful

Entry fee is $12 per camp and gate closes to get back in at 10pm

I have camped here multiple times by tent and always enjoyed my stay. The camp spot at the very end of the road is by far the most private and spacious spot.

All of the camp spots are close to the river and have easy access to bathrooms and trails. I have camped with 4 tents in one space and still had room for more.

Great spot to stay

Amazing remote location. Great wildlife viewing, snowshoeing, hiking, etc..

Spent 3 nights at Hogan Cabin, MT last summer (Aug 2018). I loved the isolation of the location. Up at 7200ft you get a little winded hiking around, but the incredible scenery is worth it. Found a primitive A-frame structure in the woods about a mile from the cabin. Saw several deer and elk feeding in the field near the cabin, as well as a moose in the marsh along the creek.

The cabin itself is nothing to jump up and down about. With only 2 sets of bunk beds, my wife and I put the bedding on the floor and made a full sized bed. There's no running water so be sure to bring plenty.

There's an vault toilet in the outhouse.

There is also a HUGE fire pit with swinging grill for cooking.

Very comfortable.

We are not hard to please. Just need space for dog fence. No problems checking in. Laundry. Bitterroot river on site. Children's fish lake. Did not use bath facilities. Looked good from out side. Cabins are log and adorable. Big ponderosa pine. Small store, with restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch. Super friendly staff. Gravel sites. Level.

Clean and Quiet Campground for a Quick Overnight

We passed through the area while driving on route 1 and decided to spend the night here because it was clean and quiet and relatively cheap at $15 per night. The sites are shaded and large enough for RVs. We stayed on a weeknight in July and there were 10 other campers.

There are pit toilets and faucets with water, but that's about it. You can gather downed wood for campfires, and there is plenty of it. Georgetown Lake is nearby, but we didn't have the opportunity to explore it properly. There is no direct access from the campground.

Of the 31 sites in the campground, 20 are reservable on recreation.gov.  We heard a pack of coyotes loud and clear in the night, and we saw a lone elk in the distance. While we enjoyed our stay at Lodgepole, it seems like more of a drive-by campground. I imagine that it is also an overflow campground for people visiting Georgetown Lake.