Hillsboro , MISSOURI

Most Recent Hillsboro Camping Reviews
Good fall spot

Well kept up place, good spacing between sites. I didn’t get a chance to go on any trails but there were a couple that looked good, including the Ozark Trail.

Great For Adventuring

Whether you’re at one of the 25+ lakes in area, one of many beautiful trails, the mysterious WWII bunkers or the scenic roadways, Weldon Spring offers many an escape in the middle of town. Popular amongst marijuana users as the area is so big and close to the large sub-urban area nearby. It’s clean and a great spot for a group or individuals any time of the year.

Fun weekend

Great access to river. Stayed on the family side and had a great time. Staff super helpful and upbeat, everyone looked like they wanted to ACTUALLY be there. Would definitely go back.

Clean and well maintained

We have visited this campground multiple times and stayed in multiple sites.  We tried a new location this time (#25) and really enjoyed it.  It was located by itself and was truely car camping with a parking spot at the site itself.  #24 is slightly smaller, but has the same benefits.  #26-28 are located just up the hill and would be great for multiple families camping together.  All 5 of these sites have 2 hammock stands and are located close to a pit toilet that is clean and well maintained.  No water pump that I could find for this location.

Previously we have stayed in W4 and W6 which required hauling the gear from the parking lot into the "primative" location.  These were nice, but all in one large clearing with no privacy.  They were also a bit of a walk to the bathrooms.

I would also recommend site #20.  It was grouped with others, but at the end of a row.  It would also require hauling gear in from a parking lot, but might be worth it for the shade and seclusion.  It is also close to the lake.

Nice but pricey

Very pricey, as soon as we pulled into the campground we were bombarded by workers asking us if we went in and paid yet.

NOT family friendly with young children!

The first thing that bothered me the most was the constant giant burning pile of garbage in the campground! And ALL the dumpsters were overflowing with garbage. Our campsite was so narrow you could touch the other RV from under your awning. Our firepit was next to their sewer line. The campsite was so unlevel my 1 year old couldnt even stand outside the camper without falling. There was NO room to play at all outside the camper on the family side. The family beach was really nice but all the dogs kept trying to pee on all our stuff. That was annoying. No playground and the the roads are loose gravel so my 3 year old couldnt ride her bike. We ended up staying only 1 night when I booked 3. I would personally never go there again. Also they CHARGE for WIFI!

Best campsite in Missouri!

This place is awesome! It was our second overnight backpacking trip we did! We started on beautiful pickle creek trail which is rock scramble right beside a awesome clear water creek bumbling over big rocks! Then we hit whispering pines trail and stayed at campsite 5! It is about 5-6 miles in. Perfect campsite a creek on each side with waterfalls on each one!! We finished the trail the next day right at 12 miles! Be sure to arrive early as the parking lots and campsites fill up fast!! Absolutely stunning trail for Missouri!!

Beautiful views for Missouri

We stayed in Klondike Park Campground in May. The views are spectacular with some sandy shores of a small pond in the middle of the campground and some great trails. Augusta is a nice place away from St. Louis and a short drive down 94. One caution… there were tons of ticks… i mean like we found 6 when we got home.

The park has a few different areas for camping. We stayed at campsite 25 which is a really big campsite surrounded by trees. Some of the other campsites are pretty packed together. There was a bathhouse, but it wasn’t really close to our campsite. Still dont think there was water available. As far as amenities, the bathroom was clean, but there’s basically no water so you’ll need to bring your own. Same with campfire wood. We had cell phone service at our campsite so if you’re curious about that, now you know.

There’s also 6 cabins you can rent, but they fill up pretty fast so if you’re going to do that, you need to plan ahead. Plenty of well groomed trails and bike paths, it’s well worth the trip.

Great for small children

Spent the weekend there with my family. We stayed in the “family” section. Positives: quiet time starting at 11:00 pm, we didn’t hear cursing, loud music, or anything else that disturbs little ones once they go to sleep, close to the river, clean restroom and shower house, shaded camping spots, clean grounds. Negatives: Nothing to report.

Enthusiasts rejoice!

Are you a person who enjoys the outdoors more than the couch? Do you thrive in medium/tough hikes where the possible main cause of death is by "neck chaffing due to skin stickyness?" Do fetid sauna-temperatured bathrooms and nightly raccoon raids tickle your camping funny bone? Then this location is for you!

We are looking at 12 first, honor, come first served sites, with 2 larger special use ones.

The flora is rich and thick, with good shade on all sites. The drawback is the amount of poison ivy, so be careful.

Trash hooks are provided for all campsites but you'll need to take the trash out when you leave, as there's no collection. FURTHERMORE, many of the hooks are 4x4 posts which raccoons can easily climb, so you'll need to be proactive and put it all in your car. No bears, in my experience, are in the area so that should not be a big deal. Also, don’t forget to put all the food in the car as well as the little pests will tear through anything that is left behind-they’ve once stole one of my Olights, leaving only the butt and the battery behind.

Great for tent as well as hammocks. I've done both and, by far, the second it the way to go. Make sure that the site is free from the possibility of deadfalls, which happens all over. The dept of conservation does a good job cutting the dangerous trees but, sometimes, sh*t happens… Good fire rings with grates, as well as picnic tables are provided.

Fauna is everywhere! This is a great base for you to go out birding. I've found animals from Luna Moths to Copperheads in the surrounding areas. There is a very small pond in between all the sites. The noise at night is ABSOLUTELY deafening-I Love it! If this was the 60's and frogs were musicians, the place should be named Woodstock.

There's "drinkable" water on site but I would boil it, filter, and have it blessed before consuming it, if I were you…although that will not improve the taste of your instant coffee, sorry.

Temperatures are often manageable, especially at night as the place tends to fluctuate within 20 degrees between midday and 10pm- it's quite nice.

Mosquitoes are a nonsense that can be easily avoided by you not being a dummy and, 1. not camping next to the pond, 2. applying repellent.

This is one of my favorite sites in Missouri. Even if all sites are to be taken you'd still feel that there is enough space between you and the sucker next door. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for my next post,"Mina Sauk Spigot."