Wappapello Lake, MISSOURI

Camping Missouri Wappapello Lake
Most Recent Wappapello Lake Camping Reviews
No camping

I don’t believe there is any public or private business campsites here. There are homes along the “trails”.

Specia Use Site

We utilized the special use area of the campground for our Cub Scout family camp, but visited the main loop during our trip.

Best campground hosts we ever encountered! Knowledgeable and friendly. The park has a pool, river access, canoe & kayak rentals and miles of great trails. Great program for kids on staying out of they get lost presented by hosts. This is a great park for organized groups, with lots to do!

Shower house was clean and convenient. Hands down one of Missouri’s best!

Tip- check out the petroglyph site.

Tucked away, easy river access

RV spots are pretty close together, but nicely shaded. Group tenting sites lack water and bathroom facilities, but make up for it in proximity crystal clear river water. Perfect for floating, fishing and swimming!

Great small park

Nice small park. Beautiful trout fishery and streams. Easy stroll. Very well-kept.

Ranger Review: Midland Radio XT511 GMRS Base Camp Radio at Red Bluff Camp

Campground Review:

We camped at Red Bluff at the beginning of the off season, so it was a lot quieter than I bet it can be in full swing. As everyone else will tell you, the sites on the bluff provide a fantastic view! Right now there are about 5 sites up there, but they are under construction for what appears to be adding an additional loop with a view and I heard rumor of electricity being added up there too. Because we wanted air conditioning, we opted for the lower sites near the river. We camped at site# 28 and it was just right. We were not on the river but close enough to hear it. With the camper parked to the left, we could not really see or hear the neighbors from that direction well. To the right we had a large and long site with a tree line and hill between us and the neighbors. We could see them through the trees but it was not like we were “hanging out together” close at all. Sites 27 and 28 faced the woods so another angle where you felt secluded. A few sites down was a little spot that you could walk right down into the water. It was a tad too cold for us but the heat of the day made us really want to wade in. It was crystal clear and you could see a gravel bar not far from there. I believe in another area of the grounds you can walk out onto one. They do have double sites, some of which were huge! The fire pit we had was awesome, it had a ring that lifted up or down onto a raised concrete circle and had a grill that you could turn out and away if not in use. We are actually going to look for a ring like that for our home. This site also had what we were calling a cooking station. It was a tall covered set of shelves. We put our cook stove on it. The site also had a lantern holder which we used to tie up the dog when we needed to too. While there were flood level signs everywhere and you coud see where flash floods had happened on the lowest level of camp, our site was high enough to not need to worry. One day while we were there we went to Dillard’s Mill- a nearby park with an old water powered grain mill on site. It was peaceful and pretty, no swimming there anymore though. Lots of picnic areas. There is no ATV use on the camp grounds, so we went up to an area of the forest that you can ride in. It was not far from camp. The camp host was very friendly. The only thing that could have made this ground better was a dump station. Maybe that is in the plan with the construction too. I was hesitant to try here at first because of all the raccoon complaints but we did not see even one the entire time. So don’t let those comments deter you! All in all a great site and we will be back with the kids, maybe hit the bluff next time.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, sometimes we get products to test from their partners. This radio is a fun and handy addition to our now growing Midland collection. It does ALL the things. We liked and utilized the NOAA Weather Alert Radio to help us to decide when was a good time to take our ATV’s for a ride through the National Forest. We used the AM/FM radio at the site for some tunes around the fire and the flashlight to take the dog for a nightly walk. The handle and shoulder strap made it easy to carry. Since we are new ATV owners, we were especially looking to test the range for this radio (because separation and possible emergencies seem inevitable lol). My brother in law lives near the campground so we set him up on his porch with the base camp and headed away to the ATV trails at the National Forest entrance. Every so often we would stop and check in “breaker niner niner…John can you hear me?” Sure enough, clear as day we got back a “YUP that’s an affirmative over”. So we got to the end of our trail, which we had mapped as 1.5ish miles as the crow flies and home could hear us, we got a response, then we spoke again and no response back (though he was trying). Occasionally in our trek the responses from home were a tad crackly but we still clearly got what was being said. There were so many features on this thing that we were not able to test them all in our weekend getaway, but I would recommend it if you have multiple radios from Midland in use. It has 5 ways to charge it, one being hand crank so it can be used in an emergency and a USB connector to recharge your phone with. My husband was excited about the eVox Hands free operation option. This will be great for camping and emergencies! We give it 5/5 stars for our needs.

Swanky

Water and electric at every site. Really nice bathrooms with recycle bins. Totally lanscaped.

Best kept secret

If you don’t know anything about this place, I would recommend it! The sites are level and clean, and the lady who checked me in was very nice and accommodating. You are a stones throw away from Katy trail which will take you to downtown St. Charles. The trail is about 1.5-2 miles to get to downtown. You can bike or walk there. You are on the final approach for the airport, so I’ll could be a lil noisy for some. The only bad thing which isn’t the campgrounds fault, is you can’t have a camp fire due to the city ordinances. But if that’s the worst….I’ll take it. Wish I had taken pictures of the campground but there was so much to do in St. Charles that I forgot to take them.

Great park

Stayed here for one night we toured the cave which was great. The park is very well kept and nice clean facilities. We tent camped and every spot had a good place to set up a tent.

Great Camping and a Cave or Two

Wonderful state park with paved roads and level concrete pads. We were nestled up against a beautiful creek. Could barely keep the dogs out of it. Nice,clean bathrooms. Nice play area for kids. We hiked one of the many hiking trail available. Tours are offered throughout the day in the two onsite caves. They were amazing. Natalie was our Gide and really knew her stuff! Park also offer kayaking, swimming, rafting and just a whole bunch of fun. There was a large camp of boys scouts and several other tent camping. Would recommend this park everyone. 10 out of 10!

Easy access

I have to preface my review by saying that this isn’t my kind of campground. I like trees and nature around. This park had very little of that. It seems to be new, and there are trees planted, but it will be awhile before they provide any shade. I stopped here because it was the closest location to an RV repair shop that I unfortunately needed to visit on my way to Chicago.

On the plus side, because it’s new the restrooms/showers were very clean and modern. The site I was in had full hook ups. The water pressure was so strong that I could barely open the water pump!

I think the best thing this campground has going for it is it’s location. Proximity to historic St. Charles and the bike trail.

The park host mentioned that the rates would be going up for next season.

Mini cabin

Very nice place, quiet

Weekend getaway!

My wife and I pulled our popup here this past weekend. Weather was wonderful. We camped on a basic site as all the electric sites had been booked. (note to self book sooner) Beach access was so close and clean. Shower and bath house was clean and one of the best we have experienced. We did have the power go out through the campgrounds. (Nothing to do with the park. Someone in town cut down a tree that caught a powerline. It was back up and running in a couple hrs) The cave tour was so cool! (No pun intended) I highly recommend it! We will definitely be back here!

Would not stay again...

Traveling in 38’ Class A Motorhome. I’m trying not to be totally negative. The owner/manager was extremely nice and we felt safe while staying here, outside of that this campground needs ALOT of TLC. It is very old and worn…. entering the office was an experience itself, cd’s, videos, boxes, and stuff everywhere (and I do mean everywhere). The RV spots were gravel, pull through, & full hookup. The grounds were scattered with old trucks and broken down cars - the buildings and most tables were green and need cleaning. The trash container was a black pickup truck that was overflowing with garbage bags. The ‘fishing pond’ was a solid sheet of green algae. We stayed one night while traveling through KY. $35 w/Good Sams discount!

Great float

Showed up late for a float trip. They were very accommodating for our group. We rented the new tubes they carry. They were very comfortable with back support and pillow when you’re leaning back. 20 bucks for a 4 hour float, ya can’t beat it! Definitely be back

Amazing place, can’t wait to return

The river had to be the best part of this - although, to be fair, we did not have time to do the caves. Cell reception is pretty much non existent but it was still worth it. The gift shop does have WiFi.

Great near by campsite

First time camping and I wanted to stay near by. Babler was perfect. Our site had plenty of space and neighbors were very friendly. We did the historical program at the amphitheater at 8pm and kids loved hiking in the dark.

Beautiful and Serene

I am loving my stay here at robertsville. The area is immaculately clean showers or private bathrooms are plentiful Flush toilets they also have a coin laundry. Campos are great. It's in the tall trees with lots of shade and greenery you kind of feel like you're in a jungle. Lots of things to do in the area. Great Verizon reception. I may not leave LOL. it is a little humid and a little buggy but I used some yard guard and I seem to be fine.

First time out...

Been to this campground multiple times. This go around we pulled our popup down and chose a site with out hookups. (545) only negative things to say about the site was that it was very densely populated with trees. (Not a problem if you love shade or aren't trying to back in a camper for the first time). This site is right on the gravel bar and about 100 ft from waters edge. Great for relaxing and having a "beverage" while watching the floaters figure out life. Bathhouse is close by maybe a 100 yard walk. Pretty clean and maintianed. $0.50 cents for 5 min on showers. Hope this helps and happy camping!

Convenient location

Spot 36. Full hook up — 30/50 electric, water, sewer. Literally located in the middle of the city park, between the community pool, the soccer fields and the baseball diamond. All concrete. Our spot was next to the basketball court. I know this because our not-so courteous neighbors played until the wee hours of the morning. Not every spot has a fire ring, very few picnic tables. There were a few sites kind of separate from the rest that were a little more private- electric only I believe. No attendant was on duty during our stay. Pay is on the honor system by envelope, so cash or check only. On the plus side, the trolley will pick up and drop off here.

Good for a lazy float

They have a nice, small, clean campground. Not recommended for experienced campers though. It is close to a busy 4 lane highway bridge on one side and a country road curve on the other though. Right on the Big River and they offer floats. No bicycle or hiking area. There is a shower house, firewood and small store. Within 2 mins from town. Owner is very accommodating.

Beautiful primitive canpground

Great primitive campground with clean facilities, plenty of trails and off the beaten path enough to give plenty privacy

A mix between primitive and RV Camping

We spent last night camping at Indian Camp Creek park and it’s a great mix between primitive camping with limited connection and camping at an RV parking lot. We took our 4 year old daughter tent camping for the first time and this was a great location. Although there’s only 8 individual tent spots available, it seems as though there’s always a spot available and each site is secluded by a group of trees. Each spacious site is equipped with a nice sized firepit, a concrete pad with a picnic table and a soft flat level space for a tent. One restroom with no running water is well kept and trash was picked up in the morning.

The park is loaded with activities. Great hiking trails, a huge kids playground, a pond with trails, and a full frisbee golf course. There’s a nice creek that runs through the front of the park you can cool off and float on a tube. The park is incredibly clean and well maintained. You could easily spend a weekend doing various activities without getting bored.

You can reserve a site online, but it has to be 4 days in advance otherwise it’s first come, first serve. There’s also the option for group camping, although we never checked it out.

All in all, it’s a great site, about 15 minutes away from wentzville. If you are looking for extreme primitive, or a place to park your camper, this is not your place.

Good One Nighter

Nice cabins and very clean facilities!

Indian Creek area

Arrived on a Saturday evening late August with no reservations. . Pleased to find 4 park rangers at the check in gate. Multiple camp spots but enough trees/shrubs to make you feel secluded. Pros: Super quiet after hours Total darkness, perfect for stargazing Abundant wildlife (turn sound up on attached video)

Cons: No input as we only stayed for some quick zzzz’s.

Fantastic!

Has full hookups and is shaded in the right places.

Cozy campground on Mark Twain Lake

The rain was a pain but didn't ruin Mark Twain! Though I grew up outside of St. Louis, I'd never been to this campground or to Mark Twain Lake.  Really enjoyed exploring the area and the campground was nice.  Showers were a short walk and campsites had a decent amount of privacy.  The Loop we were on was really better suited to motor homes and we were tent camping.  We had two tents and had to set them up in kind of a odd location near the loop road. Some sites were better then others but I wouldn't come back to this exact site to pitch a tent. If you have a camper though, its great.

You are right on the lake here, though it's a bluff so when you get to the edge, there is a steep drop off. It's very pretty and my kids are 9 and 11 so I wasn't worried but if there were much younger I'd be concerned about letting them wander toward the lake as they could slip and fall in.  Since part of the reason I take the kids camping is to be able to let them explore, I'd go to another area with younger kiddos.

That being said, there was a trail that you could take for about 10 minutes that took you down to water level and is decent for swimming.

We took a day trip to Hannibal, which is a fun little town. Took in the Mark Twain Museum and took a riverboat cruise. On another day, we rented a pontoon boat to explore the lake, which I'd recommend as well.

Once you get the to the campground, you are at least 30 minutes from any store, gas station, etc, to stock up.

We were there mostly during the week and it was very quiet.  As it got closer to the weekend, it started to really fill up and get more lively. Mostly families and such so didn't mind but just a heads up.

In the end, lovely area, really well maintained campground and would recommend.

A small quite place to spend the weekend

Didn't realize that there was a Meramec State Park and a Meramec Springs park, about 30 miles apart. More of a parking spot than a campground, gravel parking spots and not a lot else. Not one of my favorite spots to date. Was within a 1/4 mile of the Springs park and fairly central to several nice day trips. Went to Meramec State Park, which was much nicer. Went to the springs, they were nice. Went to Montauk State park.

More resort than campground

This place has about anything you would want with the possible exception of peace and quiet. Store, pool, ropes course, playground, and several options for floating, including a 1 1/2 mile tube loop you can do over and over all day. The place is huge, with tent and RV areas, cabins, and the shower houses even have rooms above them. The sites we stayed at were fairly small and in the sun, but there were plenty of larger sites and many are shaded. They also have buddy sites configured for camping with friends and awnings facing each other.

They put on a large fireworks show on Independence Day right on the gravel bar. There is a family side and a party side that are well separated.

Pretty amazing

Incredible campground setting!!! Absolutely beautiful. Crystal clear water that’s fun for kids and adults. Really interesting things to do and see in the park. Not too hot in the summer. We went 2 summers ago and my kids still talk about it.

The ONLY reason I did not give this campground a glowing 5 stars was because of the staff. There was one man in particular who was just a jerk and rude. There was some other staff that were just not pleasant & welcoming but they weren’t jerks. I did call the main administrative offices to report the man I referenced above and of course they apologized and said they’d take care of it appropriately, I never knew the outcome.

Fantastic

This place was awesome. My kids loved camping here and cant wait to go back. They have trails for bike riding, a big open field for the kids to play ball and rabbits the kids loved feeding. The campground host was a very enjoyable and outgoing person. Shower was clean so that's a plus. Would definitely recommend to others traveling in the area.