Wappapello Lake, MISSOURI
Camping Missouri Wappapello Lake
Most Recent Wappapello Lake Camping Reviews
Weekend getaway!

My wife and I pulled our popup here this past weekend. Weather was wonderful. We camped on a basic site as all the electric sites had been booked. (note to self book sooner) Beach access was so close and clean. Shower and bath house was clean and one of the best we have experienced. We did have the power go out through the campgrounds. (Nothing to do with the park. Someone in town cut down a tree that caught a powerline. It was back up and running in a couple hrs) The cave tour was so cool! (No pun intended) I highly recommend it! We will definitely be back here!

Would not stay again...

Traveling in 38’ Class A Motorhome. I’m trying not to be totally negative. The owner/manager was extremely nice and we felt safe while staying here, outside of that this campground needs ALOT of TLC. It is very old and worn…. entering the office was an experience itself, cd’s, videos, boxes, and stuff everywhere (and I do mean everywhere). The RV spots were gravel, pull through, & full hookup. The grounds were scattered with old trucks and broken down cars - the buildings and most tables were green and need cleaning. The trash container was a black pickup truck that was overflowing with garbage bags. The ‘fishing pond’ was a solid sheet of green algae. We stayed one night while traveling through KY. $35 w/Good Sams discount!

Great float

Showed up late for a float trip. They were very accommodating for our group. We rented the new tubes they carry. They were very comfortable with back support and pillow when you’re leaning back. 20 bucks for a 4 hour float, ya can’t beat it! Definitely be back

Amazing place, can’t wait to return

The river had to be the best part of this - although, to be fair, we did not have time to do the caves. Cell reception is pretty much non existent but it was still worth it. The gift shop does have WiFi.

Great near by campsite

First time camping and I wanted to stay near by. Babler was perfect. Our site had plenty of space and neighbors were very friendly. We did the historical program at the amphitheater at 8pm and kids loved hiking in the dark.

Beautiful and Serene

I am loving my stay here at robertsville. The area is immaculately clean showers or private bathrooms are plentiful Flush toilets they also have a coin laundry. Campos are great. It's in the tall trees with lots of shade and greenery you kind of feel like you're in a jungle. Lots of things to do in the area. Great Verizon reception. I may not leave LOL. it is a little humid and a little buggy but I used some yard guard and I seem to be fine.

First time out...

Been to this campground multiple times. This go around we pulled our popup down and chose a site with out hookups. (545) only negative things to say about the site was that it was very densely populated with trees. (Not a problem if you love shade or aren't trying to back in a camper for the first time). This site is right on the gravel bar and about 100 ft from waters edge. Great for relaxing and having a "beverage" while watching the floaters figure out life. Bathhouse is close by maybe a 100 yard walk. Pretty clean and maintianed. $0.50 cents for 5 min on showers. Hope this helps and happy camping!

Convenient location

Spot 36. Full hook up — 30/50 electric, water, sewer. Literally located in the middle of the city park, between the community pool, the soccer fields and the baseball diamond. All concrete. Our spot was next to the basketball court. I know this because our not-so courteous neighbors played until the wee hours of the morning. Not every spot has a fire ring, very few picnic tables. There were a few sites kind of separate from the rest that were a little more private- electric only I believe. No attendant was on duty during our stay. Pay is on the honor system by envelope, so cash or check only. On the plus side, the trolley will pick up and drop off here.

Good for a lazy float

They have a nice, small, clean campground. Not recommended for experienced campers though. It is close to a busy 4 lane highway bridge on one side and a country road curve on the other though. Right on the Big River and they offer floats. No bicycle or hiking area. There is a shower house, firewood and small store. Within 2 mins from town. Owner is very accommodating.

Beautiful primitive canpground

Great primitive campground with clean facilities, plenty of trails and off the beaten path enough to give plenty privacy

A mix between primitive and RV Camping

We spent last night camping at Indian Camp Creek park and it’s a great mix between primitive camping with limited connection and camping at an RV parking lot. We took our 4 year old daughter tent camping for the first time and this was a great location. Although there’s only 8 individual tent spots available, it seems as though there’s always a spot available and each site is secluded by a group of trees. Each spacious site is equipped with a nice sized firepit, a concrete pad with a picnic table and a soft flat level space for a tent. One restroom with no running water is well kept and trash was picked up in the morning.

The park is loaded with activities. Great hiking trails, a huge kids playground, a pond with trails, and a full frisbee golf course. There’s a nice creek that runs through the front of the park you can cool off and float on a tube. The park is incredibly clean and well maintained. You could easily spend a weekend doing various activities without getting bored.

You can reserve a site online, but it has to be 4 days in advance otherwise it’s first come, first serve. There’s also the option for group camping, although we never checked it out.

All in all, it’s a great site, about 15 minutes away from wentzville. If you are looking for extreme primitive, or a place to park your camper, this is not your place.

Good One Nighter

Nice cabins and very clean facilities!

Indian Creek area

Arrived on a Saturday evening late August with no reservations. . Pleased to find 4 park rangers at the check in gate. Multiple camp spots but enough trees/shrubs to make you feel secluded. Pros: Super quiet after hours Total darkness, perfect for stargazing Abundant wildlife (turn sound up on attached video)

Cons: No input as we only stayed for some quick zzzz’s.

Fantastic!

Has full hookups and is shaded in the right places.

Cozy campground on Mark Twain Lake

The rain was a pain but didn't ruin Mark Twain! Though I grew up outside of St. Louis, I'd never been to this campground or to Mark Twain Lake.  Really enjoyed exploring the area and the campground was nice.  Showers were a short walk and campsites had a decent amount of privacy.  The Loop we were on was really better suited to motor homes and we were tent camping.  We had two tents and had to set them up in kind of a odd location near the loop road. Some sites were better then others but I wouldn't come back to this exact site to pitch a tent. If you have a camper though, its great.

You are right on the lake here, though it's a bluff so when you get to the edge, there is a steep drop off. It's very pretty and my kids are 9 and 11 so I wasn't worried but if there were much younger I'd be concerned about letting them wander toward the lake as they could slip and fall in.  Since part of the reason I take the kids camping is to be able to let them explore, I'd go to another area with younger kiddos.

That being said, there was a trail that you could take for about 10 minutes that took you down to water level and is decent for swimming.

We took a day trip to Hannibal, which is a fun little town. Took in the Mark Twain Museum and took a riverboat cruise. On another day, we rented a pontoon boat to explore the lake, which I'd recommend as well.

Once you get the to the campground, you are at least 30 minutes from any store, gas station, etc, to stock up.

We were there mostly during the week and it was very quiet.  As it got closer to the weekend, it started to really fill up and get more lively. Mostly families and such so didn't mind but just a heads up.

In the end, lovely area, really well maintained campground and would recommend.

A small quite place to spend the weekend

Didn't realize that there was a Meramec State Park and a Meramec Springs park, about 30 miles apart. More of a parking spot than a campground, gravel parking spots and not a lot else. Not one of my favorite spots to date. Was within a 1/4 mile of the Springs park and fairly central to several nice day trips. Went to Meramec State Park, which was much nicer. Went to the springs, they were nice. Went to Montauk State park.

More resort than campground

This place has about anything you would want with the possible exception of peace and quiet. Store, pool, ropes course, playground, and several options for floating, including a 1 1/2 mile tube loop you can do over and over all day. The place is huge, with tent and RV areas, cabins, and the shower houses even have rooms above them. The sites we stayed at were fairly small and in the sun, but there were plenty of larger sites and many are shaded. They also have buddy sites configured for camping with friends and awnings facing each other.

They put on a large fireworks show on Independence Day right on the gravel bar. There is a family side and a party side that are well separated.

Pretty amazing

Incredible campground setting!!! Absolutely beautiful. Crystal clear water that’s fun for kids and adults. Really interesting things to do and see in the park. Not too hot in the summer. We went 2 summers ago and my kids still talk about it.

The ONLY reason I did not give this campground a glowing 5 stars was because of the staff. There was one man in particular who was just a jerk and rude. There was some other staff that were just not pleasant & welcoming but they weren’t jerks. I did call the main administrative offices to report the man I referenced above and of course they apologized and said they’d take care of it appropriately, I never knew the outcome.

Fantastic

This place was awesome. My kids loved camping here and cant wait to go back. They have trails for bike riding, a big open field for the kids to play ball and rabbits the kids loved feeding. The campground host was a very enjoyable and outgoing person. Shower was clean so that's a plus. Would definitely recommend to others traveling in the area.

Best place around!

Our family absolutely loves camping at PARV! We go down every year for kids fishing day and couldn't ask for a better experience. Sherry always makes everyone feel at home and we never have to worry about anything. She definitely makes everyone feel like family when you visit. She has a very clean shower house and plenty of room for the kids to run and play. Definitely would recommend this lovely place to anyone!

Truly an Awesome Family Place to Camp!

My wife Michelle and I absolutely love Pheasant Acres, we have been camping there now going on 7 seasons.  The Hostess Sherry is a wonderful patient person, she loves our kids and grand kids and always has something to do for them.  We try and get there multiple times throughout the season.  The campground is very family friendly as well as very clean.  Sherry just does not allow any shenanigans of any kind.  Our family always has a great time when we are there, we have met several other campers who are now good friend with us.  If you have the time and are going through or near St. James Missouri its off of I-44, Mile Marker 195 towards St. James.  I highly recommend you spending the night or a few days with Sherry, you won't be let down at all.  Michael Lasson - Eldon, MO

Great site to camp if you want to get off the beaten path

You can boat in along the Missouri river or hike in. The spots have amazing views of the river and challenging hikes as you progress from the river bottoms to the bluffs along the river. I would highly recommend bringing bug spray. Pets are allowed.

Great place to camp and kayak in the city

We love going here and watching the sunsets. This is a great place to kayak and camp if you don’t want to drive that fare and live in the city.

Nice quite campground

We stayed here for a weeksatellite at the end of June. Spaces are tight but the overall camp ground is decent. Nice pool and an arcade area with plenty of room to hangout inside. There is a pond with some decent sized fish in it. A lot of the campground has good tree coverage but if in the right spot you would still be able to use tv.

Mark Twain Lake

Shower house needs updated, but other than that nice place to stay.

Beautiful park. Stayed one night well maintained. Pretty busy but I was here before school started so lots of families out. Be sure to stop by elephant rock.

It’s a state park

It is what it is. A state park. Tent spots were good, park clean shower house clean but the water was pretty mucky. Kid friendly play areas and plenty of picnic tables

Busy but great.

Stayed on a Monday -Wednesday in a walk-in spot in loop 5. Every spot was occupied but park was maintained well and good time.

Great state park for ATV users

This is a great state park campground if you enjoy going off-roading as there are tons of areas to ride.

Don’t get locked out

We camped here a couple of years ago and while the campsites themselves and the campground are clean and quiet the campground host gave us the wrong gate access code and in order to be able to get to our campsite that night we had to hike all the way down the road and wake the campground host up so that he could let us in which was over a 1 mile hike in the middle of the night. Like I said the actual campground is nice and clean and quiet but other than hiking there really isn’t much in the form of any activities. And unfortunately because of our bad experience that night we will probably not ever camp here again.