About Meramec Caverns
Private
Meramec Caverns is located in Missouri
9 Reviews of Meramec Caverns
Our Appreciation

We are a combat military family and Meramec Caverns was so great to accommodate for my husbands PTSD. This is our first time camping since 2005 and part of my husbands therapy is to get OUT and get back to what feels safe. So we made the necessary sacrifices to buy a reliable truck and camper and decided to go camping. As part of his therapy, he is working on doing things outside his current comfort zone. The staff put us on an end spot farther from the high traffic high noise area. We were close to the beach, but further from the noise. The lot was clean and level. We used water and electricity and it was great. They have a ton of really cool stuff to do; it’s a little pricey, but will be great memories. The bath houses were relatively clean and the toilets weren’t bad at all, there was plenty of toilet paper. There is a lot of shade for the tent campers, but a bit less for the trailer campers. But there are trees and there is some shade. They have a store well stocked with supplies, but for the prices, make sure you have everything you need because the closest Walmart is about 10-15 minutes away. The people were amazing and we would definitely like to go back again soon!

4.5 STARS!!

My son and I have stayed here multiple times. We love it! The campgrounds are clean and beautiful, and even during peak times the people that stay are usually very friendly, as are the rangers when they make their nightly rounds. There are some amenities, a small restaurant and gift store and the cave tour is really cool although a little pricey. All in all its a fantastic little hideaway. The only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars is because sometimes the park closes or they have to evacuate due to the quick rise of the river. Easy fix though, just call ahead to see if they're open

Nice little adventure

This is a nice place to go for a quick adventure with family. Especially on a hot day. A little more expensive than I would expect, but still worth doing at least once. My kids and parents enjoyed our last trip, however there is a spot that was too steep for my dad. They did warn ahead of time when we were coming to that point and he did not miss very much. They have a route around it to catch up and enjoy the light show at the end. Light show is pretty but was also very “AMERICA!” but some people are all about that. They know their crowd I suppose. They have a snack shop with ice cream, zip line across the river, and a boat ride also available but we have not experienced those yet. I would say allow about 2 hours or so for the cave tour.

Fall camping at its best!

Beautiful location friendly staff great facilities! Cell service is sketchy but it’s perfect for getting off the grid. Camp sites are very convenient most have fire pits as well as grills for cooking. Do the cave tour it’s really cool!

Very peacefull when not crowded

Clean and peaceful, very few campers when I was here maybe because it was before school was out & during the week. Cave makes for a nice cool break from the heat.

Pretty nice place to camp and stay

I enjoyed the cave, but the tour was much more cheesy than Onondaga cave. I also thought the zip line was a cool thing to have. Thankfully, everything from the flood a couple years back has been cleaned up!

Great Place to camp and enjoy!

This was our first trip in our camper and a first camp at Meramec Caverns.

The staff is friendly and helpful. Security patrols around the clock and doesn't put up with any ridiculousness.

Campsites available on pavement, gravel for campers and RVs and grass for tents. Our site had 30/50 amp service and water on a gravel site facing the Meramec River. It waa a beautiful view!

Shower house and restroom facilities are clean and maintained.

A dump station is located just outsIde the main gate of the campgrounds.

Because of the location, there is no wifi and we had no cell service for the majority of our stay. Once in a while it would get a signal but it was very brief.

Campsites are separated from the Meramec Caverns tourist attractions so there is not constant traffic coming through the campsite.

Most campsites had a stone fire ring, bbq grill, and picnic table.

The cave tour, zipline, boat ride, canoe and float trips and motel are all within short walking distance from the campgrounds.

The campground store has ice, firewood and basics available. The gift shop at the cave has typical tourist items available. The restaurant is more of a snack bar and not a full service restaurant, so don't rely on it for your meals during your stay!

The cave tour is interesting and informative and on a hot day the 60 degree temp of the cave is the perfect place to hang out for a while!

Overall, a very nice place to camp and enjoy the outdoors without being too far from home.

We will definitely be back for another stay!

Beautiful campground

Good swimming! Clear water. Camp store. Firewood available.

Jesse James hideout camping

This is a private campground run by Meramec Caverns. The campground is large and shaded, right on the river. There are hook up sites and tent sites. My advice is to try and get a spot all the way to the left of the entrance. These sites seem quieter and more spread out. The down side is that they are pretty far from the shower house and bathrooms. Most of this sites (but not all) have picnic tables, grills and fire pits. There are a few really nice sites right on the river. There is a restaurant, general store, canoe rental, zip line (it goes across the Meramec River, not sure how you get back!), and of course the caverns. The cave tour is a bit hokey, but if you can look past the mannequins and silliness, the caves themselves are really spectacular. You can definitely see why Jesse and Frank James used this as a hideout.