The best DRIVE IN camping near
Tower , MINNESOTA

Most Recent Tower Camping Reviews
Feels Like Wilderness

Stayed at a camper cabin- had the park to ourselves! Absolutely gorgeous. The drive off the main highway is a few miles, so you really end up out in the wilderness! We also appreciated that this park doesn’t allow hunting so you know you are safe during that season.

The campground is along a series of winding lakes, with multiple access points to the water. Very spaced out and easy access to vaulted toilets and water. A couple of different fishing piers and docks right near the campground itself. Has electric and non-electric sites. Definitely impressed with the campground itself. Very pretty no matter where you camp.

Park has:

- fishing pier

- hiking trails

- fish cleaning building

- stocked backcountry fishing lakes

- canoe rental

- a trail center with a community fire ring and comfy chairs

- dump station

- RV sanitation station

- camper cabins

- group camp

- swimming beach

- trailer access

- watercraft and backpack sites

We enjoyed night walks and star gazing- we decided it was the best stars we had ever seen! Even saw shooting stars. Cooked some great meals, and enjoyed the hiking club walk through the woods to some super-secret small lakes.

Checked out the group site- so cool. Right on the water with a personal dock and toilets.

This park is truly in the wilderness, felt like actually being in the Boundary Waters! Crystal clear water, thick gorgeous forests, and an amazing sky.

Head into Ely, maybe 20 mins, if you need supplies or a break from the woods. Also can access the BWCAW there too.

We appreciated that this park is open year-round, but can’t wait to go back in the summer!

A diamond in the forest

We spent our time at this site in the late Fall. We want to catch the peak autumn colours. The camp site is very wooded and spacious. The camp host are very nice…they even kept the water on that late. Well for being there in the late fall, we were the only ones there. There are very cool hikes nearby: Vermilion falls, Vermilion gorge trail which was our favorite and voyageur NP. I’ll say…very awesome spot up north.

Wonderful Camping Spot

This is a great spot to catch the fall colors in Northern Minnesota. The camp ground has two loops. The first loop is mainly for walk-in camping, while the second loop can accommodate any size rig.

Very quiet but beautiful

The campground is very quiet but the fall scenery is beautiful. The trees are blazing in color. Clean campsites with plenty to do. Hiking, bicycling, fishing etc. The city of Ely is close for supplies and grocery shopping. Two large grocery stores. Friendly people throughout this town. Will camp here again.

Nice little campground

The sites had good privacy due to the trees, and I managed to set the tent up at the way back of the site, so you couldn't see it from the road. The pit toilet was pretty clean and there were even hand sanitizer bottles outside for use. The well water available had a bit of an off smell and came out a little more yellow/brown than I prefer so I did not use it.

Beautiful Campground With Convenient Access to Voyageurs National Park

We only stayed here two nights for a quick trip into Voyageurs National Park. If I would have known AT&T would have been so fast and reliable, we would have easily stayed here a week to work. The campground is clean. The owners are incredibly friendly and accommodating. We were greeted happily when we arrived and directed to our spot which was a spacious, level gravel pad with a well maintained picnic table and fire ring. We had a lot of privacy with the trees surrounding the site. The easements were freshly mowed. You can tell the owners take pride in the appearance of the park.

This is a fantastic place to stay if visiting Voyageurs National Park and the other surrounding attractions, such as Vermillion Falls. We would absolutely stay here again.

Great place

Went over Labor Day. Owners were great and really helpful. Close to the off road vehicle park. Definitely camping here again next summer!

Nice Forest Campground By The Lake

I spent two nights at site #13 which was an electric site with my RV. There is a mile-long hiking trail in the park which is a plus. It was raining and was windy so I didn't get to enjoy it much but what I noticed that it is overrun with mice during the night. They kept me up getting in and running around. I put traps out during the night and I caught 6!!! I never caught six in one place during one night ever. I was talking to the neighbor and she said she also had mice in her rig. The park needs more owls :)

Anyways, it is a nice park, and I can see that it is lots of fun when the weather is nice, you can kayak, canoe on the lake, and kids can run around. I just didn't have the best experience there.

Great, clean sites. Gorgeous lake!!

I spent 3 nights in a tent and my friends had a large camper in the same site. They were clean and the chipmunks were our pets for the weekend. The docks are convenient for your boats or pontoons. The fishing is phenomenal and beautiful! Definitely recommend for hiking, site seeing, swimming at the beach, fishing and other things 😊

Back up to the water and fish from your site

We visited some people staying here in the campground we were at fall lake. The Lodge is across the street with lots of  amenities. The lodge has a shower house, bar/ Lounge, restaurant,  boat and canoe rentals, game room, free Wifi, a playground, bait & tackle, a private swim beach and laundry facility. The laundry facility is near the other campground and suites I like the campground across the street better. Good homemade Pizzas! This area is beautiful. I gave it a 3 star rating because we like privacy, a little more wooded surroundings and you can hear traffic but it's not a very busy road.

Across the street from the lodge is the campground, boat ramp & small toilet rooms a little primitive. Better to be self contained in this part of the campground. Most sites back up to the water and some have docks behind them and there is water & electric.  Some have a little  shade. There isn't much privacy and there isn't a lot of room between them but a great view. You can fish from you campsite they had caught some Walleye. There are several lakes here you choose from if you boat, canoe or kayak. I would say my camper is bigger than it is to make sure you get a little larger spot. The ones across from the toilet rooms can be tight backing in having enough room to get in take that into consideration when booking.

I believe they use the dump station in Ely at the visitor center they have a dump you can use for #5.00.  Ely is a small town it has a lot of canoe outfitters, 2 grocery stores, a few places to eat, gas stations, hardware stores, some gift shops, so come prepared there isn't a Walmart or anything near there.

By far the best ice cream we ever ate. It's called Northern Expressions I had the caramel collision, the malts were good too. The line can be all the way down the side of the building but the wait is worth it.

Lots of lakes in the area, Fall lake is close by which is nice for Kayaking, canoeing or boating. It's part of the BWCA. Nice campground there too.