Alexandria, MINNESOTA
Most Recent Alexandria Camping Reviews
This is not a campground

I visited this location as I was at Sibley State Park nearby, and this site was unreviewed. There is no campground or campsite here, actually, this is just a “four corners” at the edge of a residential area of regular houses and lake homes outside Willmar.

Nice scenery. Tight spaces

Not my favorite campground. Sites are very cramped

Our favorite MN State Park

This park has everything from bike trails, hiking trails, look out tower at the top of Mount Tom, to swimming and fishing. Close to our home so we go often!

Our local park

Nice quiet little park. Not to far from home. Sites are nice and the restrooms and showers are close.

Sibley State Park- Oak Ridge campground

We stayed at the Oak Ridge campground in early fall. Campground was clean and quiet. Bathrooms were clean but cold (as to be expected when not heated.) Felt very secluded with many trail options for hiking. Hiking to Mt Tom was a nice easy hike to do with kids and a dog. The view was a nice bonus in the end.

Ranger Review - Matador Droplet XL Dry Bag at Charles Lindbergh State Park

At the end of a long day, even if it was full of fun, but especially if it wasn't, all you want to do if find a campsite, set it up and chill out. That would have been kind of hard to do at Lindbergh State Park, at least coming to the canoe sites off the river. But once we were there, it was very quiet and easy to get to. But at least I had my Matador Droplet XL Dry Bag, just in case we tipped over in our quest to find it.

CAMPSITE REVIEW:

We decided that this campsite was going to be our last stop on our river trip. Charles Lindbergh State Park has many campsites, but there are a few they call "cart in". They are also referred to as "canoe in", depending on which way you approach and arrive. It's a good thing we had a map, because we wouldn't have found it off the Mississippi by ourselves. In fact, even with the map, it wasn't the easiest to find. The last thing you want to do at the end of a long day is wonder if you took a wrong turn.

Yes, it's at the park. So we eventually would have found the campsite, but coming at it off the river, it seemed to be hidden. Until we saw a tiny sign, over a bridge, off to the right that said the name of the park (and no STATE PARK signs anywhere like you usually see along the river). So we took a right turn, and it led us to a swampy bog. And the bog kinda took a right turn through a weird little twist and turn of weeds and trees and abandoned buildings. I swear I heard banjos. And just when we thought we might be in the wrong spot, bingo! A campsite.

As hard as it was to find, it was incredibly easy to get into. A few little steps out of the water and that was it. We were there! This little offshoot of the Mississippi was called Pike Creek, and apparently was the place where Lindbergh used to come and play and swim. So, although difficult to find via watercraft, a little piece of history to enjoy.

The campsite was fairly small, but served it's purpose. We were at site C1 (Cart in #1? Canoe in #1? Can't find it #1?) A very flat tent pad was a great find. Fire ring, picnic table, plenty of trees and shade. Bathroom was a bit of a haul, up a hill and to the left about 1/4 mile. There was a shower house, but due to the confusing nature of the park/trail sign nearby, we ended up walking the wrong direction and spent about 20 min walking about a 1/2 mile. If we'd walked the other direction, it would have taken half the time. And the showers were so-so. They worked, they were hot, and they were private, but I'd advise to take your water shoes with you before you step into the stall.

There was a second site as well, right next to the first. And in fact, the second is right on the trail to the bathroom, so if you were staying in that site, anyone at campsite #1 would have to walk through campsite #2 to hit the trail to the toilet. Hmmm…. At least that site was empty for the night.

I rated this as three stars for the lack of signage, the close proximity of the 2 sights that are supposed to be more secluded, the confusing trail signs and the fire pit that was so deep that unless you had a raging blaze, you couldn't see the flames once the initial logs burned down if you were sitting in camp chairs. But it was pretty, it was quiet, and there wasn't anything wrong with the campsite itself. It served it's purpose well and gave us a a place to crash for the night.

Note: As usual, because it's a state park, there is a reservation fee, even though you can canoe in. Most canoe sites on the river are free, unless they are in a state park. We reserved this "the day of" and paid $15. If you reserve in advance, there is an additional reservation fee.

Oh, and one last thing…beware of the deadly falling acorns if you go in late summer. Almost all the trees are oak, and the lightest bit of breeze (or the shimmy of a playful squirrel collecting his winter stash) sends them showering down. Onto your head. Or hitting your extremities. Or plinking into your coffee.

GEAR REVIEW:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the awesome opportunity to get incredible gear in exchange for an honest review of it. This time, I had the pleasure of trying out the Matador Droplet XL Dry Bag Wow…love this thing!.

Now, I'll first admit that I didn't have my bag bobbing in the Mississippi River. I didn't take it that far, but I know what a dry bag is supposed to do, and how it needs to be constructed to do that. This thing packs a huge punch for it's size! Here's the specs:

• It's 20L
  • Made of 15D waterproof ripstop nylon
  • Seam sealed
  • Has a beautiful little roll down type of latch that doubles as a handle for carrying it if you roll it a few times like you are supposed to. It's huge!
  • And it weighs almost nothing. Seriously…almost nothing. They claim the entire thing is about 5oz, but I weighed it and both together weigh less than 4 oz, and the bag alone is only about 1.5 oz.

It comes stuffed in this little silicone "droplet" (hence the name). The droplet has a clip on it for your backpack or whatever. Honestly, if I need the dry bag, I'm probably not taking the silicone droplet with me since it's got some weight on it, and if I'm using the bag, I don't need the storage pod, but it's a great way to package it and keep it stored when not in use. The fabric is pretty slick and slippery, so it's kind of hard to fold and keep folded without the pod to do so. So the droplet serves it's purpose well when you need it.

The real reason I wanted to try this thing out was for my backpack, because I absolutely hate pack liners and I wanted a dry bag large enough for my sleeping bag and pad. This fits them perfectly, with a little room to spare. So even though I didn't have my pack with me, this held those items and went in our canoe bag (which isn't waterproof) and kept my things nice and dry every day I packed them.

It's durable construction and lightweight fabric make it ideal for adventures on the water, near the water, or simply when water falls from the sky and all you want it to do is go away. No worries…your gear will be nice and dry!

Small town vibe, big hearted people!

This campsite has been up and running for quite some time! It isn’t just a campground either! You can have events or family get togethers here, or just go for the day and hang out on the well maintained beach! With a playground for the kids, BBQS, and picnic tables it’s the perfect spot to hang with the family!

Family friendly.

Fun campground to be part of. Lots of things to do for the whole family.

Nice spot!

The owners were very personable and helpful. Nice grassy sites beautiful trees. Full hookups, Very clean restrooms and shower. (ADA accessible) A nice quiet campground. We’ll be back! And it’s less than 1/8 mile from the Long Drive in. A great family experience and one of the few left in the state. We went to the Scott co fair during the day and the drive in that night. A great time!

quiet, cart in campground

walk in campground on a non-motorized lake, great for canoe or paddle board, paved bike trail around the park, rentals for bikes and watercraft available, sand beaches

$21/$29 for site + $7 reservation fee + $7 park entry=expensive state park

You have to reserve a site - online or phone but you're paying a $7 reservation fee either way. The campsite is $21/$29 for non-electric/electric. When I reserved online, I didn't see any info about a vehicle entry fee; I've seen this info in plain sight for other states that charge a separate entry fee. So…two nights at a non-electric site: $42+$7+$14=$63. A bit steep! Or you can purchase a 12 month parks pass for $35 to avoid the daily vehicle fee.

This is small for a state park (only 38 sites) but it's a beautiful setting. The park was actually named after Charles A. Lindbergh Sr (lawyer and Congressman), not the Jr everyone remembers for his transatlantic flight. It was the family farm that was given to the state. There are areas you can tour for a fee, but you can hike the trails in the park and see where Lindbergh Jr landed his Jenny.

This is a campground developed before the advent of large RVs, but that didn't"t stop a camper from cramming his RV into a site and parking his pickup across the front of the site near the road. Sites 1 through 15 have electricity, and the rest are non-electric sites. Electric sites aren't any larger than non-electric sites. The park was full on a weekend in August and there were several generators in the non-electric loop.

All sites are back in/pull in with a gravel/dirt driveway; a few sites have grass in the parking area. Many sites have a buffer of trees between them, but you'll be looking right at your neighbors in many cases. They must have sprayed for mosquitoes because the campsites are not as buggy as the nearby trails.

The bathrooms are fine. Sinks and counters are fairly new. Shower facility is separate; there are 2 shower stalls for men and 2 for women. They're the aggravating push button showers that turn off about every 30 seconds.

There is a dump station along with a filling station for drinking water as you enter the two camping loops.

Wonderful park!

We stayed in camper cabins that were really amazing. Fishing Pier and a small lake to canoe and kayak on. I’d definitely come back.

Awesome place to get away

Beautiful location. most lots are lake front. camper spots are easy to get into and spacious. two primitive areas, one by the beach and the other is tucked back in the trees(super secluded). people at the office seem nice and helpful. overall very impressed.

You won’t be disappointed

We decided to try camping in one of Glendalough’s yurts. There is carts available to haul your gear. The views along the bike path are stunning. There is so much to do here. Biking, hiking, swimming, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boards, and so much more. Truly something for everyone. We had a blast and can’t wait to go on our next adventure there!

the best - but ya gotta follow the rules

One of our families favorite spots! make sure to get the lower campground my the water, it’s magical.. the only downfall is that the rangers take all rules very very very seriously. no hammocks on trees (hurts them), no picking up stray firewood, no clothes lines, on and on. with that said - we still come back year after year, just read all the fine print so you don’t expect one thing and the bust you for that tree killing hammock.

Family fun!

This is a great camp ground with upper and lower sites ! Great bathrooms and nice size camp sites. Enough electric and primitive sites :). Nice trails for hiking :)

was in the area, looked up park, $15 no hookups, $25 with hookups

dont know anything about the 2 parks this town has except i was in the area and was looking for a cheap/free place to stay and found their website and prices

Living in the Wild

I stayed in the group site here and it was wonderful, we were along the water and there was good spots to put up tents, very clean and a neat area in general!

Quiet campground

This is a campground that is similar to your favorite hole in the wall bar. It is quiet, unassuming and always consistent. Sites are decent sized with some trees for shade depending on your site. The swimming beach is passable, but could be improved. The bathrooms are sketchy, but serve their purpose. This isn’t a place to come if you want a lot of fancy amenities, but if you want to be left alone to camp in peace this is your place.

Do not book site 30

We usually stay at campsites that are pretty private so this may be normal but we were pretty unhappy about the site we booked. Online it is very difficult to tell what the sites are like and site 29 and 30 have nothing separating them which is kind of awkward. Also, behind site 30 is a vault toilet that people would occasionally walk directly through our campsite to get to. I’m not sure if this was a path that was intended to be taken or not but it was definitely not ideal if you would like to get away. The showers and bathrooms were fairly nice and there are many hiking trails that are close. I would probably visit this park again but camp somewhere else.

In need of improvements

Sign is hidden, so everyone drives by. Trees need to be trimmed up. You have to drive around campsite to dump station as it is way in the campground instead as you are leaving. Visitors coming to see us had to pay $5.00 per person whether for 5 minutes or 5 hours. Could not put our outdoor rug down. Will not be back there anytime soon.

Gorgeous sunsets, large beach, huge lake for boating, fishing, kayaking.

This campground is actually called Tipsinoh Mounds Campground & Resort. It has something for everyone. A basketball court, playground, a nice Sandy beach. Tent sites right by lake. Great for fishing and all types of water sports. Not far from the MN Central Lakes Bike Trail.

Low key, quiet retreat

Well staffed with nice people. Clean, well maintained. Nice beach area, but crowded. 81 campsite was nice because it was secluded, but close to the bathrooms. Short drive in to cute town of New London.

Out in the woods with utilities

This is a private campground and we were lucky to get in. Has electric and water…shower house and bathrooms…beach to swim and good fishing and boating. A lodge to visit in and cabins to rent. Like I said a great campground in the middle of no where. Beautiful setting and plenty to do.

Open and sunny, prairie campground near water.

No shade or shelter is provided. Right next to water but it will clog up your water filter if you're using one. We saw beavers swimming; They were not fearful of campers. Due to the grass, there were many ticks, pets should be treated for ticks ahead of time. We didn't stay overnight due to the amount of then. Parking was easy, hike in was very easy and clearly defined. It's a good spot for camping in the fall or spring.

Possibly bring your own shade. Note that you CANNOT hammock camp at Kettle Lake. Firewood will also be slightly harder to find here due to lack of trees. It would be smart to carry your own in (if possible).

Tents only, Calm, Serene Water

Only Tents Allowed--this is the most serene place! They don't allow motor boats on one of the lakes so there is always calm water to canoe, kayak, swim, or paddleboard in.

Good location

Stopped here one night. It was quiet and amenities were clean.

Pretty Quiet, very pretty

This campground is small (only 20 spots) so it's decently quiet besides the kids running around having a blast. The water was beautiful and clear, and the view from the dock was amazing (see picture). You can't get to the lake from your spot, so I took some stars off for that since that is important to many. We were woken up at 230am by howling coyotes and heard some large critter movement shortly after that-but if you aren't afraid of those things like my partner is, you'll love how peaceful it is through the night!

Sibley State Park

I went early in the spring for camping at this park and ended up staying in the cabin – it was sort of a, I wanna get out of the city, let’s go camping, oh the campground is still closed sort of last minute trip. I can’t comment on the facilities, as the water wasn’t even back on for the season yet (March 30). The park has two campgrounds from what I saw; one with cabins and tent sites near the wilderness center and one on Andrew Lake. The lake was BEAUTIFUL at sunset. I drove all the way around and took pictures. Lots and lots of wildlife around at this one too! Fun little café in New London (Middle Fork) – delicious French toast and friendly service; seemed like a place the locals went!

Beautiful place

We stayed with a friend at one of the camper campsites.