About Cascade River State Park
Hike In
Cascade River State Park is located in Minnesota
20 Reviews of Cascade River State Park
Amazing waterfall and great campground

Cascade River is one of my favorite Minnesota State Parks. Located between Grand Marais and Duluth in Lutsen, Mn. There is a set of 5 small waterfalls and then Cascade Falls that are spectacular. I wasn’t able to get a picture of the waterfalls because this time so you will just have to take my word for it.

The picnic are was super cool as-well. There were little areas separated from each other that had a picnic table and fire ring that were like little campsites. No overnight camping though.

From the picnic area you could relax on the rocks on sunning Lake Superior’s shore and catch a sunrise or sunset. You can cast a line for lake trout or salmon from shore or just relax having a picnic.

There are a few hiking trails in the park and parking for some one the trails and the picnic area right off highway 61 a half a mile from the park office.

If you stay in the campground there is approved firewood available at the park office, along with ice and other goodies. You must have a park permit for this park. Daily permits are 7$ and annual permits that are good for all state parks and recreation areas in Minnesota are 35$. The annuals can be purchased in the park office or online. Daily park permits are only available in the park office at any state park or recreation area. Camping fees are the normal Minnesota Park fees.

This park is surrounded by a few other state parks you could spend visiting as well. Check this beauty out! IT’S TOTALLY WORTH YOUR TIME!!!

Great hiking with waterfalls

This is a quiet no frills campground.  The sites are nice and private with trees separating the sites.  The shower/bathrooms are great.  They also have the hole in the ground toilets spread around the campgound.  The hiking trails are great leading you to multiple waterfalls and to Lake Superior.  My only issue with this campground is that there isnt any play area for kids.

Theres plenty to do in the areas surrounding this State Park.  We drove the Gunflint Trail, went to Lutsen and shopped around Grand Marais.  Voyageur Brewing is a fun brewery with good beer.

Cascade River State Park

Originally we were going to stay at a different campsite but that one was first come, first serve and all the spots were already taken. It was getting dark and we needed to find somewhere to sleep for the night. We saw good reviews for Cascade and decided to give it a shot. We got to the park office and it was closed but we were able to call a number and get a spot booked pretty easily. It was $23 for the night plus you needed the parks pass. We stayed on June 24th and it was a kinda chilly night and had previously rained so things were a little damp but not muddy at all. We stayed in spot #19 that was a drive in and tent camping. It was pretty spacious and out of the spots that we saw, it seemed to be one of the more secluded ones. We were setting up the tent around 10 PM and everyone was very quiet even though there were people in almost every campsite. Only saw a few people around their fires. There was a primitive toilet right next to our spot but it was out of order. There was another one just a short pathway away which was nice and also clean. We didn’t use the showers but the building looked really nice and wasn’t too far from our site. The dumpster/garbage was close to our spot which was also convenient. The spots just seemed so close together and we could hear our neighbors child cry early in the morning. The birds were also extremely loud. Nothing to do with the campsite but I couldn’t believe how loud they were screaming at 5 AM. We got up around 8 AM and went for a hike and there not many people around. It was a nice morning not too hot with a little breeze and partly cloudy. The cascade falls were pretty cool! The trail information place and the trails were right behind our site. We hiked to the lookout mountain which was about a 3.5 mile loop and it was beautiful but definitely bring water. We had to rest a few times since it was a lot of uphill trails but the view is worth it. When we started heading back, there were a lot more people on the trails. It took us about two hours to get there and back but we stopped and took our time getting there. I would stay at Cascade River State Park again but also would probably check out other places to see what else is out there.

Very nice campground located midway between Duluth and Grand Mrais, MN.

LArgentina campsites, well kept area, nice shower house. Beautiful hiking both inland and towards Lake Supior!

Camping

It is open all year long. Has lots of trails to the falls, lake and a trail to the restaurant near by. #16 campsite is best view of lake.

Well Maintained Hikes And History

-kind DNR officials stationed in the trail center will answer your questions about restoration!

-take one side of the trail down the falls and the other back up!

-good for younger kids - well-maintained trails and fun facts about the foam created in the river and the rock formations evident in the park!

-if you’re looking for complete privacy, choose another campground - these sites are right off the main road. However, if you’re traveling with kids and mainly want the daytime park experience, go for it! Don’t worry about the kids and the road - it’s not busy.

-falls end at the highway; it’s a bit noisy

Beautiful Views & Outstanding Bathrooms

The restrooms were recently renovated and they were in such great condition. The showers are very clean. There were great trails that were very easy to access right by our campsite. We were able to see beautiful views within a few minutes of walking!

Cascade River State Park

Nice park near lake Superior with very nice facilities.

Nice, wooded, clean

Great restroom facilities. Nice wooded lots with mature trees

One in a series of gorgeous state parks along north Lake Superior

Cascade River State Park is a popular place. In fact all the state parks are along the coast of Lake Superior. There are beautiful hiking trails and access to the Superior Hiking Trail. I made reservations 2 weeks before coming here and was limited in my choices. I had to move to 3 different sites in order to have a longer stay.

Campground Review:

The rangers have limited hours so I got my Minnesota State Park pass and went on to my site. Site 6e was near the toilet, garbage and water. The drive to the site was deceptive. The park may be large but the campground is small. Campsites are close together. On site 19 and 11e I had more privacy but 6e put us on display. Many people stopped by to ask about my camper. Even being close together, I still felt comfortable in my own space at each site. The vault toilets was immaculate and the shower house was pristine. Site 6e had the best cell reception but I got a little at the other sites.

The rangers stopped by to talk. I left them a note asking for some guidance and they promptly followed through. Wonderful people! They even offered to give me an overflow spot so I wouldn’t have to move around.

Hiking trails are the best! Drive to each river and you will find they are each unique. Grand Marais has a perfect donut shop. Drive away from the coast to visit Wild Country Maple Products and get fresh maple syrup - don’t forget the maple candy. Michael was a friendly owner who took time to talk about the entire process. He might even take you on a tour.

Inside tip: consider staying a night or two at different state parks and work your way down the coast.