Old Town Landing , MASSACHUSETTS

Most Recent Old Town Landing Camping Reviews
Wow! Beware of all the extra charges and filthy facilities

Bowdish Lake Camping Area is the worst campground we have ever been to and we travel fulltime! Their website states: $1,800-$3,600 per season (look for yourself on their website if you don’t believe me). We get there after reserving site Blue 65. They then charged us $3,900. Why? We have no idea! Then they charged us an additional $75.00 for our truck. Why I don’t know? Then they charged us an additional $50.00 for having our own kayak. Then they charged us an additional $50.00 for a small dog, $100.00 for large dogs (by the way they have no dog park). Then they charged us an additional $100.00 for cable. Then they charged us an additional .50 cents per kWh ( which cost us an average of$250.00 extra per month). The public facilities are filthy. They do not supply any toilet paper, hand soaps, hot water, etc. They charge you an additional charge by coin operated showers (cold water only) that are crawling with spiders, bugs and cobwebs.

Great spot for families

Nice spot right over the Cape Cod Canal. Spent many summers here as a kid and was fun to return with my family. We did tent camping here and didn't really explore the grounds. But, our spot was nice. I could hear the cars on the highway off in the distance (hardly).

Stay here because you want to explore the area

This state forest campground is located just over the Sagamore bridge, across the Cape Cod canal. It's a basic, no-frills campground, with more than half the sites designated as tent only; a few of the sites are designated for tent/pop-up. The tent sites tend to be on short spurs that may be hilly and uneven, so would be difficult to navigate with a trailer or larger vehicle. If you don't have camping gear, there are 6 yurts available for rent, though they were not available during the 2020 covid season. The bathrooms offer showers and are undergoing some renovations in 2020. No hookups, but there is a dump station.

If you have young kids, they'll love the new playground area. That's really about the only attraction within the campground, though there are some hiking and biking trails. The Cape Cod Canal Bikeway is nearby and provides easy biking and exploration. If you're looking for a beach experience and you'll be there a few days, consider buying a weekly parking pass. During the week, it may be worthwhile to cross back across the Sagamore bridge to visit Scusset Beach State Reservation, but weekend summer traffic will likely make that prohibitive.

If you forgot food, Market Basket is a short distance away.

Basic campground with hiking trails in the area.

This small state park campground offers basic campsites with running water and showers, open Memorial Day to Columbus Day.  This is NOT Wolf's Den Family Campground in E. Haddam, CT. Also, be aware there are 2 campgrounds at this State Park; the other one, Mashamoquet Brook, does not offer running water/showers, so if you want these amenities, be sure to select a campsite 1-35.

There's a small playground in the middle of the loop, a number of hiking trails throughout the park along with a few geocaches (download details for offline use a phone connection is spotty), a swimming pond, and a small brook with an old mill and blacksmith shop that is sometimes open on weekends for tours. It's a nice place to explore and have a picnic. In 2020 with Covid, there were restrictions on visitors to the campground, reservations required, and swimming was not allowed.

The parking pads are paved and a few have overhanging branches, but the trees provide  separation and some shade on largely open sites that tend to open up toward the back with open areas for pitching tents. Sites have fire rings with grills and picnic tables. Site 20 is the only one with electric. The ones toward the back of the loop back up toward the woods and give you some more privacy.

They don't allow hammocks in the trees or pets. For some reason, silly string also makes the list of prohibitions.

Another good state park campground!

Water and 30/50 amp. Beach/swimming area. Bath houses were clean. Huge, modern playground.

Back sites are best

This campground operated by the Trustees offers centralized bathrooms and walk-in sites. There are 10 sites located on either side of the Noanet trail leaving from the parking area near Chickering Pond. The last five are off a spur trail a little farther from the parking lot. If you are looking for proximity to bathrooms and the pond, you can't beat site #1. It's one of the larger sites just off the trail, but it's also visible to people walking over from the parking lot to the pond. Wagons are available to help you transport your supplies to your campsite. This fall (2020) they offered weekend camping opportunities; website says they'll be open 2021 for camping and to check back next year for details.

Sites 11-15 may be a slightly longer walk, but they are larger and more level. REI has made a donation toward campsite improvements. Some of the other sites are small, uneven, with roots and limited space for pitching a tent at a decent distance from the firepit. Site 5 & 6 share an entrance and may be nice if you are camping with friends.

The sites do come with picnic tables and most of the campsites offer grates with the firepit. The camp store offers water for sale if you forgot some. There is also running water at the visitor's center with a dishwashing sink, bathrooms and showers.

There's plenty to keep you busy for a weekend, whether it's wandering the trails, paddling a canoe or kayak (you'll need to rent, you can't bring your own), fishing (catch and release), birdwatching, or searching for a geocache. There's a volleyball pit near the picnic pavilion. Up a short hill behind the visitor's center is a playground for kids that includes a small climbing wall and net. As long as it's dry, there are some mountain biking trails.

3 bar cell coverage on Verizon.

Glamping to the max

I wasn’t sure I would like this level of glamping, but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was positive and helpful and that made a difference for me. I traditionally dry camp or go for semi hooked up on purpose, I just like the quieter camping. Maybe it’s covid, but it felt good to be “near” other people trying to find peace in a crazy world. So much positive about the resort, the snack bar has an awesome menu and cost is reasonable. Beer at the store wasn’t unreasonable priced. The clothing/swag was fairly priced. The facility is big enough to walk, bike, short run, the frisbee golf is the best set up I’ve ever used. I went recently(mid October) so the pools were shut down, but there was still lots of activities. The bath houses were very clean and there was music playing, another detail that sets this resort apart. The grounds, for a packed campground were actually well done with trees, and large stones around. You will hear other people at nearby sites, it didn’t bother me, in fact listening to all the various dogs barking at each other from their respective sites made me laugh. You can hear cars from 495, but once again, somehow it did not bother me. I’ve stayed at campgrounds up in NH that are dry camping, and I can hear cars on Rt 16 or on the Kanc. There is a catch, sites probably average $100/night or more, when all the amenities are up and running, it is well wort it. Shoot, I’ve stayed in hotels for $150/night with no amenities. This place has so much to do, or just sit by the campfire and drink beer and relax, or borrow a movie for free. Remember to return it or they will process the $20.00 hold. I’m definitely going back, kids had fun, I had fun. Pay ahead and get your gate codes, and you can drive right to your site, that was super convenient, see the positives keep showing up. Thanks for reading

Excellent family campground

Great spot, clean, fun and easy access. So many of our camping friends love this place so we figured we'd try it - outstanding.

Nice, Clean and Friendly Staff

We stayed here back in 2019 and had a nice experience. I'd totally recommend for family outdoors fun.

Love Bowdish Lake Campground

We are first-year seasonal at Bowdish and have loved it. Even with Covid-related restrictions we have had a great year. Our site Blue 111 is spacious with lots of privacy. With very few exceptions the staff and other seasonal campers are all very nice and friendly. We are sad the season is coming to an end but look forward to making many more memories at Bowdish. I