The best GROUP camping near

Martin's Access

Primitive camping was awesome

Busy

Stone State Park, Sioux City, Iowa

End of a not to long day driving across Iowa……corn, lotsa corn! We stopped at Dolliver Memorial State Park for a hike about midday, it looked a bit better taken care of then Stone SP.

This is basically a small primitive campground with electric added to some sites. Not horrible for an overnight….

First impression…..I considered getting back on the road. The people that I saw in the meager campground looked somewhat homeless. No offense and they do need to stay somewhere however they could also keep their areas decluttered and detrashed. There was a family staying on the far side of the ditch that seemed to be camping.

There was constant vehicle traffic around the small loop my site was on, they seemed to have no purpose other then to stare. The campground shower house was used by whomever felt like using it which also added to the traffic.

After Maquoketa Cave SP this is a disappointment. The trails were overgrown and the map was not easy to orient. I only explored so far so I may have missed the cool stuff that signifies this park. There was sketchy coverage for your phone so I couldn’t pull up Alltrails, make sure to download before You drive in.

Clean & kid friendly

Well kept & family friendly camping in Iowa! We were able to reserve an electric unit (#30) right off the lake and across the road from the large playground (~5 setups for different age groups). We could watch the kids play while getting food ready or preparing a line to throw in the water. Short walk to the very clean restrooms with flush toilets & showers. Will come back!

Nice Family Getaway

This campground was perfect for a small family reunion. We rented out their 3 cabins and had a whole area to ourselves. The kids could walk down to the sand and a bridge. Very well kept, you must clean up after yourself - which should always be the case anyway.

Clean, very nice campground, kid friendly

There’s a pretty big playground near all the sites. When I went in the first weekend of October they had a little trick or treat night too! Extremely nice amenities; flush toilet and showers. Very nice for Iowa state parks.

Nice, and clean lake

This place was pleasantly clean to me. Blue lake which is the lake this state park sits on. When you drive in from the road you see on your right the lake and to your left are houses. You go farther down and you see picnic accesses off the lake. And there is a swimming area and beach further down with a fully accessible restroom. There is also a keelboat on display and visitor center with a musuem. The center was closed when we were here, (thanks covid). Behind that is a dock and a little look out tower next to it. This is where we saw people kayak mainly. You go farther down and this was where the campsites were. This appeared to be more of a park set up for rv and campers than any tents. You go farther down pass this and you find more accesses to trails, and taller grass. This is a great park especially for a rv, and how clean it is.

Scenic Park-South Sioux City

We have stayed here multiple times, always accommodating, always clean. The sites closer to the river tend to be quieter. This is a city-run park and offers plenty to do. Sites are not crammed together and the staff is always helpful. Would highly recommend.

Buggy and muggy

Many water spots on basically what is a mosquito breeding ground

Ok stop for a night

No real complaints. Clean campground, friendly hosts. Prefer more nature, but not a bad stop on a long drive. Right on river, but huge park with lots of campers, and tucked in between soccer fields. Safe and convenient though, and had a camp fire. Wifi not very good, but electric and water hookups were fine.

Small campground in a large state park

This is a large state park in the northwest corner of Iowa, surprisingly wooded considering how close to Sioux City it is located. Touted as a year-round park, there is a large network of trails, some of which can be used as equestrian. HOWEVER, the trails are not labeled and there is no (or very fleeting) cell service so that even after looking at the map (located on a board in the park, not a paper one), I wandered aimlessly around the park getting lost. One of the trailheads requires that you tramp directly through Site 12 to access! I explored this trail for approximately a quarter of a mile, but it became very overgrown and because I was not sure where I was going, I ended up turning around.

The campground is divided into three sections

• Sites 1-11 are located on either side of the access road are a bit too close together for our preference and despite the park being so wooded, have no foliage or other visible separation between the sites. These sites all have electric hookups

• Sites 12-14 are at the top of the hill and have the easiest access to the restrooms; they also have electric hookups. In my opinion, Site 14 would be the most desirable. Given that there are only three sites here, there was a surprising number of cars driving past these sites.

• Sites 15-30 are primitive tent sites and located near Cabin#3 (a CCC cabin).

The bathrooms were clean and (don’t laugh at me), the toilets had lids! Given the current virus situation, this was a nice and welcome surprise!

There was no camp host and we only saw one ranger during our stay. There is a nice playground, but it is not located anywhere near the campground (it is located closer to two of the cabins). If you are camping with children, please note this. There are three cabins, one that was built by the CCC and a lodge which also looked to be a CCC product, although it did not appear to be open when we were there.