Altamont, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Altamont Camping Reviews
Friendly staff

A great hidden gem! Lots of full timers and still plenty of over nighters.

Very nice showers and location

Quiet campground, although you can hear a train off in the distance and anyone on the water. The shower house is very nice, clean and private. You can see the lake from the campground and the marina is only a short distance away. Shelbyville is just 10minutes making it easy to pick up more firewood and other essentials if needed. Overall very nice stay. 4/5 stars only because the sites aren’t set back very far from the drive.

Clean campground

Clean campground but camping proximity is very close.

Beautiful lake

Really beautiful lake and lookouts and trail down to sandy beach. Close marina and even little food truck right off the lake. Good fishing. There are a lot of sites and we went on a packed weekend but sites arranged well and ours backed up to woods and felt as private as it could among so many campers.

Very nice state park

Nice big spots. 30 and 50 amp available. Right on lake Shelbyville. 309 spots 141 are reservable

Hazlet-Carlyle Lake

This is a decent place with quite a few spots with lake views. Well maintained. Plenty of shade. Tents and RVs. Crowded most holidays. Close to grocery. Great Mexican restaurant in town.

Hidden Gem in Southern Illinois

I should start this review by saying the day we got home from this trip, I booked the same campsite for the end of September. So yeah, it was great.

Living on the north side of Chicago, we were looking for campgrounds in Wisconsin for this trip but then, alas, the quarantine rules went into effect so we turned our search southward. I'm so glad we did!  Illinois doesn't have a lot of lakes but boy is this a nice one. Rented a boat for a day and got to explore the lake and it's gorgeous. Also, there are a TON of campgrounds all around the lake and you could see from the water how many are right on the lake. I'm a sucker for a waterside campsite so I know I'll be back.

The site we had was at the end of the loop (not really a loop, just a straight road with a turnaround on a little peninsula.)

We had the lake on 3 sides and a private little area with trails to explore. This site was a buddy site so very large and plenty of room for two families. Social distancing was not a problem.

The bathrooms and showers were about as clean as I've experienced. Probably just got lucky but seems like every time I went in them they appeared to just have been cleaned. We went during the week and it was super peaceful in the campground and on the lake. I'd imagine in the Summer on the weekend, it will be a bit louder in the campground and more boats on the water.

One night our grand dinner plans were spoiled by a storm so I ran to Shelbyville and grabbed some pizza at Monical's Pizza. It was a quick 15 minute drive.

All in all, great experience and, as I said, we'll be back at the end of September.

Very well kept

I was thoroughly impressed with the upkeep of this area. The campground is well maintained and has plenty of hiking area, fishing area, and playing/swimming area for children. Everything at this place was decent. The only thing I would change is the ONE dump station for this massive campground. Corps of Engineers to well on this place!

Huge! Sites....

I have gone to Idnr Hazlet since I was a little kid. The lake is definitely an upside while in 100 degree IL humidity. Most of the campsite are spacious and almost every one has water access as long as you don’t mind a little mud. The bathrooms could be cleaner but other wise not to shabby. Unfortunately I don’t have any picture to did it justice.

Very nice!

Nice big spacious sites! Reserve early to get full hookup! Right on lake Shelbyville.