The best GROUP camping near
Wainiha , HAWAII

Most Recent Wainiha Camping Reviews
Gorgeous

We didn’t camp here but we came for the day. It was absolutely gorgeous! The hike was something out of a movie. I’ll come back here one day.

Day spot

I highly recommend not camping here. We went for the day and it was pretty dirty. The waterfall is unreal though, that’s why we were there!

Amazing

Beautiful beach spot. I highly recommend just spending the day here. Camping is very close together and tourists are always walking close by.

Amazing

This was my favorite hike in Hawaii. It was so beautiful I felt like I was in a movie! Make sure to bring lots of water and even a water pump or life straw, we ran out of water and thought we had brought too much initially. Also have a snack, I didn’t eat that day and my legs started shaking quite a bit.

Gorgeous spot to come see the water. We actually met a couple who had just got married here. We became lifelong friends with them, even to this day. They’ve come across the country to stay with us, this place will always have a place in my heart.

Beautiful!

We saw sea turtles at this beach. It was ok as far as camping. Everyone is pretty close together and tourists are always walking around and close by you. I wouldn’t say it’s ideal but it’s an experience.

Epic hike

Kalalau is one of the best backpacking trips in the country. Please be respectful of the land and of others. The first part to the beach can be crowded with day hikers but the crowd thins out after that. Great views all the way!

Gorgeous & remote, be careful of the river rising!

As others have said, the hike in and out of the canyon is not easy.  But the reward is being totally isolated and quiet down in the canyon.  So gorgeous!

The main thing that we learned the hard way is that the river that is near the campground can become impassable after a rainstorm.  We left our camp to go for a day hike further into the canyon, and crossed the river with no issue.  There was a downpour while we were on the other side of the river, and weren't able to cross back to get to our camp.  We had to spend the night on the other side where thankfully there was another shelter.  Luckily we had some food and our water filter and hammocks, and someone left a brand new sleeping bag that we used to keep warm.  We were able to cross back over the next morning.

Also, our car got broken into where we left it parked on the road.  Dont leave anything valuable in the car!

Despite being stranded and getting our car broken into, we also got engaged in the canyon…so this was definitely my most memorable backpacking trip.

Beautiful beach camping with car

Hey guys, from 07.02.2020 I have to hand over all camping equipment - tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow, cutlery and travel bag - in Kauai. Please contact us if you are interested. Have fun traveling. Best wishes Isabel

Primitive perfection

How can you complain about a campground in paradise?!

On the Na Pali Coast trail at the halfway point near Hanakoa Falls is a few primitive spots to call home before venturing on.  Warning: The ground is wet (duh, it's Kauai) and "locals" tend to squat in the area.  There's a 3-sided shelter to get out of the rain, but that happened to be where a kidding was more or less living.  He was sweet and watched out things while we hiked to the waterfall - although he could have easily stolen everything we had.

The area feels so sacred and special that even if you may be miserable and wet, you can't help but feel at peace.