The best DRIVE IN camping near
Gwinnstone , GEORGIA

Most Recent Gwinnstone Camping Reviews
Nice Lake side camp site 52

This site was a nice distance away from the RV focused campsites at the same location. Site 52 was close to site 53 and 54 and would be a good choice if you are looking to camp with multiple families over multiple sites. Many of the other sites on the tent only loop are more spread out. With that said, site 52 was still fairly private due to the grade of the land. The site itself could fit a 5-6+ person tent or two medium tents very well. The bathhouse is a small walk from most of the camp sites. We brought water with us so we did not go looking, but the bathhouse sink seemed to be the only source for water. The best part of site 52 is the nearly perfect easterly direction of the site. On a clear day you can watch the sunrise from your tent.

This year(2021) it seems they repaved most of the roads at the campgrounds so if you are bringing bikes or scooters it will be a smooth ride around the grounds.

Lake Lanier a popular with fisherman so there is a good bit of motor boat noise. I did not find it to be bothersome. If you are camping with kids, it can be fun watching the boats as you sit by the lake.

If you live in the Atlanta area and looking for a quick and simple weekend camping trip this is a nice location.

A favorite of ours

Most sites are small and close together. Park is hilly. And yet it’s one of my favorite parks. Very clean and the staff are amazing and super kind. It’s the little things right.

Great park

We came to stay at river campsite. It is clean, spacious, and quite. The lake campsite can only accommodate small campers.

Great place

We go to camp here at least twice a year. Despite the crazy traffic in the capitol city, there are many restaurants with good food nearby.

Wonderful Lake Lanier

This is a wonderful easy access multi sited campground. Boat ramps and lots of trees. Good beaches and lots of room in between sites.

Wonderful view

Park is wonderful, can be overcrowded. Surrounding area can be a bit rundown

Many trials

Fort Yargo is a bit of history for Georgia, restored cabin from 1792. Boating, hiking, camping and cabins with another area that is a private resort. Lots of room 1816 acres, 16 cabins, 6 yurts. Many tent and trailers spots. #34 has full hookups. There is a nice pavilion and a fairly new welcome center. It is easy to get to and there is playgrounds for the young ones.

Community Effort

Unfortunately the weather wasn’t the best when we stayed here. I want to go back in the summer and hike the long trail. When we arrived there was obviously an event going on. The small town along the front of Indian Springs State Park seems to be very in tune with the park. There is an event center, excellent restaurant and small gas/grocery right by the entrance. The campground was full even though it was February, which once again speaks to the community and residents. Not the most private sites but they are roomy. I was way to close to the playground. Screaming children are annoying… I’m not referring to yelling and cavorting. These were squalling, screeching hellions with no regard to others around them. One even made a rush at my dogs as I was walking by :( Not much view but you are above some water. No trail near the campground unfortunately. I did not use the showerhouse, it was conveniently located, but was the only one so I’m sure it gets busy.

We enjoyed the nature trail but skipped the longer more difficult trail due to incoming weather. Saw some deer, not much else. Not a well marked trail but we figured it out. I saw people headed to the spring with empty containers and the falls or cascades, were very beautiful.

Peaceful wonderland

This campground is easy to access off the I-75. With some shopping close if the case is needed. The grounds are clean and the beach accesses to the lake are very friendly. The security is adequate, many trials for hiking and the boating entrances are several. There are new cabins being built, with other vintage ones also available. A wonderful place to spend a few days to week at.

Freedom Rocks

Brand new place that is definitely worth a visit if you like freedom. You can tell that the property has been empty for quite some time, but I saw a pretty good bit of progress during the time I spent there. I'll definitely be returning for a visit again soon when the weather is a bit warmer!