About Sand Dunes Recreation

Sand Dunes offers RV spots, tent sites and cabins. Located 25 minutes away from the Great Sand Dunes National Park.  Olympic size hot spring pool, 25 person hot tub, gift shop, 2 restaurants, 21+ Adults only area, The Greenhouse featuring The Steel Box Bar and small plates menu.

Private
Sand Dunes Recreation is located in Colorado
7 Reviews of Sand Dunes Recreation
Swimming near the dunes

We haven't stayed here, but we regularly use their dump and fill station for RVs, it's $8.00 plus tax to dump and fill here. They have coin operated washers, dryers, and showers, $2.50 for laundry machines, 50 cents for a six minute shower. There is a bar and a natural hot spring here, but we have yet to venture in but here it's nice. The staff is always friendly, and there's even an outdoor dish washing station which comes in handy if you dry camp alot. They have several full service RV sites, tent sights, cabins, this place is basically a resort and it has beautiful views of Great Sand Dunes National Park, and Mt. Blanca. Even if you don't stay here you can come swim, use the laundry and showers for good prices.

So much to do

We stayed for one night in late June. The hot pool was a welcome destination after an afternoon of sliding down sand dunes and hiking back up.

Nice grass for tents.

Cafe menu is great.

Showers and washroom are good

Sand boards are available to hire

Great place to set up an RV for adventure in the dunes!

Easy pull in spots for your RV and campers. Well maintained bathrooms and facilities to use after a sandy day at the dunes. Relatively close to the dunes (About a 15 minute drive to the parking lot from the campsites). Would recommend staying here!

We love this place!

We love this place. Our family has been coming here over the years, and it's still a favorite. The pools are artesian hot springs. The pools are extremely kid friendly, and there are greenhouses with 21+ soaking and bar.

Camping is 20 bucks a night and you get half off camping when you camp here.

The camp sites are basic, but they have water, bathrooms, showers, laundry and such. Also RV park with plugins, dump and water.

they serve food, and they also allow you to bring your own food and to bring your dogs.

We get a weekend away for about 80 bucks for two nights and swimming, and we can bring our kids and dog….it's a winner!

They have a shop that sells items needed like bathing suits and sunscreen and treats and they also rent out toys and such.

Fun campsite for family. Our 2 year old loved going to the dunes during the day and swimming at night. The campsites had nice grass but are really close together. The bathrooms were not very clean but the shower was warm.

Our campsite had someone on it and we had to switch with someone else after an hour of trying to figure it out but they finally did and it worked out.

Clean campground and fun pools for all ages

We stayed here in September 2015 as our first time out in our new camper. It was easy to travel to all the tourist destinations in the area from this location. We enjoyed the big outdoor hot springs pool during the day and the adult only indoor hot springs at night along with the bar. Plenty of places to walk our dogs and lots for our toddler to explore. The cabins looked pretty nice. One funny thing is if you have an rv and hook up to the water, it is fed from the hot springs so the water is always very warm. Didn't get to test out our hot water heater at this location! Haha! It was neat though. We would visit again!

Ranger Review: Green Goo Outdoor Travel Pack at Sand Dunes Swimming Pool & RV Park, CO

Campground Review

What a cool place to cool off near the Sand Dunes. There are plots for RVs as well as tents. The campground hasn't been open more than a year and a half, and some areas are still taking shape and overall the campsite is still figuring itself out. While some sites are well established, there's a decent amount of open flat land people were camping on as well. This place used to be a tilapia farm and there's still some pools around the place with large fish. There are a few ponds with frogs too, which is cool, but also means pack the earplugs as these guys are an alarm clock you can't snooze in the AM.

The main attraction of this place for families has to be the pool, which also has a basic restaurant with grill food that's reasonably priced. There's also a separate adult only area within the pool rec center called "The Green Room" which has a bar and various temperature level hot tubs, a wading pool, and a sauna.

There is also a basketball court, coin operated showers and laundry, water hook ups, and electric hookups.

What's a little awkward about this place (as of May 2017) is the showers are a combo shower/toilet room, and there are two of them to service this whole camp when the pool rec area is closed (10pm-10am). There was another single service bathroom around the back of the rec building, but not well marked. While there are 2 port-o-potties (well maintained, to their credit), they would do well to add more facilities for the growing campground space, especially since checkout is 11am so most people want to use the bathrooms before they hit the road.

Gear Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products from time to time - today I am testing the Outdoor Travel Pack from Green Goo. Inside the plastic carry case (probably a good airport toiletry bag when these things get used up) it comes with two lip balms, some bug spray repellent, and two different salves - a pain relief and a first aid. Green Goo is a company based out of Lyons, CO and they definitely know how to cater to the drier air climate out here. Keeping yourself from getting cracked hands, feet, and lips is a constant struggle and so I'm always looking for good products to help me win the war. When your lips are begging for moisture, these balms are awesome because almost on contact does it start to feel like my lips are getting hydrated. The taste/flavors are good choices too, and not overpowering. I also am not a fan of lip balms that flake when you apply or leave a glossy finish, and this did neither.

The bug spray was nice for the flies, and it felt good knowing when I was spraying the stuff around my dog or campsite that if residue was getting anywhere, it wasn't a big deal since their products are made with all natural ingredients. Odor was also fine.

The First Aid salve was a savior, as we were camping in South Colorado in a town near Great Sand Dunes National Park and the basically desert climate dried out my feet pretty bad. I applied some salve when I woke up in the morning and before long my foot was already looking better. It felt better and when I put my sock on over the salve it didnt feel greasy or slippery. I continue to use it 3 days later and my feet are looking and feeling better.

My recommendation is to hit the sand dunes NOT at midday like me when it's hottest from the sun, but this and the pain relief salve were great for my dog. Yep, the products are safe around pets and what I decided to do after taking the dog out on the dunes (we turned around once it was super hot) was apply some to hit paws to help with the heat. Cracked paw pad protection for the win!

Overall this is a great line of products. They're easy to pack, do their job, and are all natural and safe around pets. What's not to like?