Standard (Tent/RV)
About Culp Valley Primitive Campground

Located in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, this free primitive campground is in the San Ysidro Mountains west of Borrego Springs. It's 3,375 feet above sea level.

Hike In
No 50 amp Hookups
Max Vehicle Length Unknown
Culp Valley Primitive Campground is located in California
13 Reviews of Culp Valley Primitive Campground
Lovely primitive sites with access to great hikes

Went before Thanksgiving weekend for a few nights. SUPER busy over the weekend and emptied out by Sunday night. Basically camping anarchy - people setting up all over the place - but you can only start fires in the provided fire ring. Some sites are exposed others super secluded. Sound definitely carries over the little valley, but people kept it low key by 10pmish.

Arrive early to get a nice site.

Great hikes that start right from the campground.

Amazing

One of the best sites in Anza, so beautiful!! The stars out here are unreal.

Nice camp, Very desert

The campsite itself is very well maintained. Metal fire pits are available and bathrooms. The last place I camped was $30 and had neither.

The scenery is beautiful but very desert. Cholla cacti are everywhere so watch your pets paws (my poor dog kept getting them in between her paw pads). Also didn’t get very cool in the evening, but had a beautiful night sky.

There are trails; no dogs allowed.

Did see a tarantula.

Very private!

The site was very private and out of the way. The sky at night was absolutely gorgeous. There is currently a fire ban but there are fire pits around for the times that fires are okay. Very nice experience

Great sunrise

Good primitive site that you can drive into and have a bathroom. Somewhat hard to navigate with a can but its doable. Spots to park can be tricky to find at sunset when you're losing daylight. Overall, nice quiet campground with a great view. Hard to find if you dont know what you're looking for.

A spot to only tell friends about

This primitive site is off the charts cool. There’s one bathroom that is fairly clean. The stars are amazing so don’t be afraid to sleep outside! It gets a little windy but nothing too crazy. The best part is that it’s FREE! There’s some awesome boulders and even slot canyons near by. The turn-off comes up quick so keep an eye out.

Favorite Free Campground in all of Anza

This campground sits high atop the heat sweltering in the valley below, where the rest of Anza Borrego State Park. Plenty of climbing around here, as well as hiking trails galore. No fire pits or tables here,  so be sure to bring your own metal sturdy fire pit. Having a fire in the sand with rocks is illegal, and I have met a couple of rangers doing patrols around camp. One time we did not have one, so we drove down a couple of miles to the town in Anza, and picked one up at the local hardware store. Less than $15 for a metal tin to set on the ground and worked like a charm. There is one pit toilet bathroom.

Just a 20 minute drive away are slot canyons, check out the local trails!

Loved it!!

We had a big group of 15, if you go all the way to the T take a right and go to the little turn around there is plenty of room for multiple tents and large groups. We were all by ourselves but walked to meet other campers, everyone was very nice. There were rocks to climb on, trails to hike. The bathrooms were very clean, there is no running water. It is very hot during the day and very windy at night. Bring your own water, fire pit and table. We will definitely be back!!!

Isolated and quiet

This really is a primitive campground. You pack it in and you pack it out. There is one restroom facility and that is all. If you are looking to camp in quite the this is it. Nice place and I will be returning here to camp. Great little hiking trails that give you a nice view of Borrego Springs below.

Get above it all....

I stayed there the night of March 2nd, 2019. It was very windy and fairly cold. I think the actual temperature would have been fine if not for the windchill and spitting rain from the clouds stuck on the mountain a few miles away. The wind blew the moisture across.

Free primitive campground with clean and stocked pit toilets (depending on who went before you anyway). The road in is rough but can be navigated with a passenger vehicle (I drove a Prius on them). I’ve hit bottom coming out of California business driveways more often.

It’s located well up the mountain from Borrego Springs on a scenic highway. Borrego Springs is a Dark Sky community, so there’s good stargazing.

You are supposed to use a metal container for fires, but the site where I camped had a fire ring that had been used. I don’t think I’d have had a fire even if I’d had a metal container. The wind was that strong (and I’m a Kansas boy, I know strong winds). I also saw discarded gas cylinders that I was going to pack out but got distracted. I’ll never be able to wrap my head around people go want to be in nature but have no problem trashing it out or burning it down. That said, it was only my campsite where I saw these issues.

All in all, a very picturesque stay, but the wind will rock you.

Year 2021 Flag