Coolidge, ARIZONA

Most Recent Coolidge Camping Reviews
I loved it but.....

Quiet off the beaten path place.   Switchbacks most of the way up to the area.  Wouldn’t advise a “big” rig. But once there and settled in loved it!

Nice spot to get out of Phx for a night or two

Drive up to test out my new RTT. Hardly anyone there and the saloon has good food and drink.

Exciting

If you love the Sonoran desert landscape, this will be one of the most beautiful parks you will ever have been to.

Real Mountain Top View

This campground is Free. There are 17-21 sites dispersed & in groups that include cement picnic tables, metal ring fire pits, and some sites also have Bear Boxes. There are 3-4 outhouses, no running water or amenities. To get there from Globe it’s 7 miles of dirt one lane switchbacks on the side of the mountain. I have seen campers before but it is not very easy to get up there with them. There are bears and other wildlife. Even have seen a tarantula (pictured). Like many state land out here they have cattle loose and they do travel the road up the mountain so keep that in mind.

Lots of activities

This 55+ community is very well organized.

55+

Another well organized and well maintained park. You have to request month ahead if you are not staying for a long period of time.

Currently Closed due to flood rush

I wanted to stay down by the lake but the washes are closed due to the flash flood risk. The recent fire much of the vegetation that stems the flow of water. I would imagine that the campground will open back up after monsoon season but might periodically close based on the weather patterns. At least until the vegetation regrows.

I ended up staying on the south side if Davis Wash just off Apache Trail in a dispersed campground. I was the only one out there which was nice and spooky. Being that it was Friday the 13th. I figured it would be better to be with the four legged creatures than the two legged. Better behaved. Nice night that cooled off enough to sleep at midnight.

Loosely named a "Resort"

This place is not the type of resort you "girl's trip" to. It's the kind of resort where you plan to spend all day on the lake and come back to a shower and a real bed. You can choose to camp in your tent/RV or start in the motel.

The resort offers:

• breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • watercraft rentals
  • two boat ramps
  • convenience store

There is a $10 fee to use any of their land. Even if you're just launching your boat. Emergency personnel have a base on the property which is comforting. Cell service is scarce on the lake but works great close to the resort. Only gave the resort 4 stars because I prefer camping around less people.

Ranger Review: Primus Essential Pot Set at Crabtree Wash

Campground Review:

Crabtree Wash is a small campground next to the Apache Lake Marina and Resort. There are two ways down to the wash: one fun dirt road to take your 4x4 vehicle or service road 79. Service road 79 is the same road you take to the resort and is paved all the way down. Crabtree is run by the Tonto National Forest so you must have a Tonto Pass to enjoy the day or night. Passes can be purchased at any Tonto Ranger station, Canyon Lake or most gas stations on the way down Apache Trail.

The campground itself is fairly small and first come/first serve. This campground is unique because it is next to the “resort”. The campground has toilets and trash pickup. The resort offers many things for sale (firewood, ice, lunch…) so it’s like camping out in the desert next to a convenience store.

When planning a trip to Apache lake plan accordingly as this is a desert campground. In September I sweat bullets until about midnight when the temperature dropped. The lake the next day made it all better.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt (what I refer lovingly to as a Dyrt Ranger), I get the privilege to test products. At Crabtree Wash, I tested Primus’ Essential Pot Set 1.3L. I have been in need of specific camping pots as the kitchen pots I was using were not getting the job done. These pots were impressive.

The set comes with two 1.3L pots, one frying pan, a pot gripper and a carrying bag. First impressions: love the carrying bag, pans look well made and perfect size to cook for my one or two person camping trips.

I was able to throw my plate and silverware into the carrying bag with the pots so everything is self contained. The flying is nonstick and doubles as a lid to the pots.  The pot gripper is okay, the design is akin to scissors. I’m planning on upgrading to the Primus Crimp Pot Gripper as I fully expect to drop a pan of boiling water because I loosen my grip on the gripper. Overall I am completely stoked to add the Primus pots to my camping gear.

Camping only During October 15 – April 15

This campground is not ideal for trailers as you park in a parking lot.  There are pit toilets.  Picnic tables at each site (5).  There is a $9 per night fee and also a Tonto Pass is needed. Camping is only allowed from October 15th to April 15th. During the summer, the area is day use only.

Clean park with necessary ammenities

The owners are an older couple who were very friendly, and very accommodating. We called at 7pm on a Sunday looking for a spot that night. Even though they were technically closed they met us there, and helped us get set up. Ended up staying for an entire month, and had zero issues with this nice, quiet community.

Different but nice!!!

This place is a little easier to get to than upper pinal, which is just on the other side of Pinal Mountains. This campground was set up kinda weird, but worked out good. I would definitely recommend trying this one out, and I will definitely go back. Bathrooms were clean and sites were pretty roomy for our teardrop.. Only 1 bar of cell service for At&t. But overall a great time here.

Beautiful 55+ community

This community has so many organized activities for residents. They have almost everything you would need on site. Everything for activities, concerts, games and shows. Great for snowbirds or somewhere you need to stay a few months.

Full time

This is a no age limit Rv park. Has laundry facility and clubhouse. No your ideal park if looking for something overnight or short time.

Nice

Desert life.. Very quiet and clean.. Lovely view of the desert and some hiking trails

Beautiful Views

Beautiful view of the backside of the Superstition Mountains. Most of the way to Roosevelt Lake is a dirt road. All vehicles can drive this trail. Few different lookout points with picnic tables and restrooms.

Love this place!

Easy to get a permit from the ranger station. Just email your name, address, phone number and driver's license number to sm.fs.mesa_ohs@usda.gov and you'll get your permit within 2 days for free. I love that it's not far out of town but an easy place to forget you live in town. I've seen all types of vehicles out there. Better to have a 4 wheel drive with decent clearance for some of the trails. Most camp spots aren't too deep in so it's easiest to access.

Pleasant Surprise

My family & I had planned to head to a different campground but it was snowed in. After several hours of driving, we couldn't find anywhere! As a last try, we went to the Lost Dutchman State Park & were pleasantly surprised. We camped for 2 nights & had a great time. Excellent trails, beautiful views, friendly staff… overall a great experience that my 3year old still can't stop talking about.

Small but secluded

Not very much room for a trailer, mostly tent camping.

Did get cell phone service there though.

My review

Very good amenities. Quiet. Not overcrowded, 2swimming pools, large laundry. Really suited our needs. We were there June and July 2019

Beautiful setting with a flyover

March 20-22, 2019. Campsite #42. Site was right on the water, as quite a few are. There were other sites available that have amesome elevated views of the lake, and even more sites in between but we opted for the lakeside site(s) and it was perfect for us (2 families, 5 kids, 4 adults and our little pupperino Biscuit). There was a beach area on the grounds which was nice to play around and float about. The camp host, Nick, was great and the campsites and bathrooms were very clean. As we were packing up to leave, three airplanes flew over the lake about 40 feet from the surface of the water, flying threw the canyon. We were definitely caught off guard, but it was super cool and a nice way to say goodbye to a fantastic time at Burnt Corral. We would gladly go back and stay at the same site, or most of them really, with or without the flyover. But after hiking around a bit, for a more primitive or intimate experience, maybe we will try the Upper Burnt Corral area next time.

Very secluded and awesome

The trip to the top of pinal Mountains is a journey,  very cool and beautiful scenic views,  the road is not the best, especially if you don't have a higher clearance vehicle.

Overall it is Awesome,  took an hour from Globe to the campground because speed is minimal.

Desert for days

Beautiful views, quaint little town, tons of history and scenic beauty to enjoy. Goldfield town is a must, there is so much to do and see there. Just know that the attractions do close once the heat averages about 105 and reopen once the heat has gone down.

Well it had a bathroom...

While working on the Woodbury Wildland Fire here in Arizona my Ambulance was staged at Oak Flat Campground. It was nothing but desert, a few picnic tables, with some trees with nice shade and two bathrooms. It’s probably the least nicest campground I’ve been to. Luckily we weren’t staying there for the night just parked there during the day. It appeared to be free, it was a decent distance off the main highway. If you’re just looking for a place to stop and rest for the night then it’s not a bad spot but I wouldn’t take my family there for a vacation.

Nice views

Very nice area and very good hiking trails. I would go back again

It’s okay.

Clean, well appointed campground with showers, restrooms, a pool and hot tub, and more! Expensive and the views aren’t very nice, despite being in a beautiful area. The free internet is very patchy and kicks you off every few minutes.

Jewel in the desert!

We try to stop at this SP campground every time we're heading out of town or come back home (Tombstone) We always stay during the Fall/Winter months though. I'm not sure if they are even open in the summer, due to extreme heat. This park is just beautiful. Full of blooming cactus in the Spring and gorgeous sunsets always. The bathrooms are spotless and they have individual locking showers. For $30 you get water, electric, a huge site &, tent area in addition to your rv lot, The lot is pavement, and the tent is sand. All sites are set up in a random pattern, to give you the most privacy.  our site had a Ramada with picnic table & fire pit. They do sell firewood but it's $7 a bundle. We also once stayed in their overflow area, which is dry camping and that's only $15. They have great hiking trails, but use a walking stick, I got too up close and personal with a rattlesnake.

Coon Bluff

No camping. This area appears to be day use only now. There are several posted signs that say no camping. Throughout Coon Bluff there are several picnic tables fire pits and grill areas. Fire restrictions are in place right now so there’s no fires or grilling which is typical for the summers.

This could be a fun spot to sit down and have lunch. I’ve gone out a couple times with our families and played in the water. Depending on the water flow, the water can be kind of dirty,not great for swimming.

Tonto passes are required for any parked vehicles. We use this spot as a finishing point for kayaking. There is plenty of wildlife in the area, and a lot of activities to do including mountain biking, hiking, fishing, kayaking, and swimming.

No Camping

No overnight here which is fairly recent, I remember tents here not too long ago. We like to take the kids here to play in the water. We also use it as a finishing point for Kayaking.

There are 7 picnic tables here with a few fire pits and raised grills. Currently a fire ban is in place including charcoal. That is typical for our summer.

There is some wildlife like squirrels, lizards and waterfowl, but if you want to see animals than you should spend some time on the water. We have seen bald eagles, mud swallows, bats, herons, cardinals. We do see a lot of people fishing here and there are some good shady spots for that. I would also be on the look out for rattlesnakes and scorpions.

Very nice

Stayed here April 2018. Staff on site are very polite and helpful. Lots of room for large campers with hookups. Would definitely stay again.