the dyrt
Buckeye, ARIZONA
Most Recent Buckeye Camping Reviews
Beautiful lake views

We were supposed to be in site 173 at the Desert Tortoise campground in Lake Pleasant Regional Park. However, I’m not sure how ANY RV could possibly get in that site! The incline is ridiculous and our 15,000 pound fifth wheel would certainly roll into the lake! We ended up changing to a shoreline campsite. Of course, they made us pay a change fee. You can park pretty much anywhere along the shore. Most of the spaces were filled even though it was only 1 pm (check in time). We found a nice spot on the hill with a beautiful view of the lake. I think we got lucky because they are still letting people in for shoreline camping seven hours later and it’s full!

Nice campground close to Phoenix

Leaf Verde is in Buckeye, AZ which is only 30 minutes from Phoenix. The pool is refreshing and if you aren’t into swimming there is a pool table, dog park and shuffle board to keep you busy. The sites are gravel and close together but nice.

Really nice, not level

Nice sites, small campground. Most sites are not level. There are a few that can accomodate a class A. You can get water and dump at Fast Mart 76 about 9 miles away. I would stay here again. It is very peaceful. Verizon cell service is good with a wifi booster, very little at&t coverage.

Desert Camping With Great Hiking

If you like rock scrambling there is plenty of that at the White Tank Mountain Regional Park. Staying here you will find that hiking is your major focus as typical desert style camping is made special by the excitement of the trails around you.

The family campground is not one of the largest campgrounds you will find in this region but it fair sized. Spaces are large and spread out making it a great fit for tent campers or RV campers.

When I visited I stayed in campsite 29, on the top of the far side of the loop on the one way drive in. I was a few hundred yards from the restroom facility on a back in space which outlooked toward the desert entirely. The outer ring of the loop, you can literally hike right out of your campsite and be in the middle of everything. I will say however that had I have known a bit more about the area before visiting I probably would have selected sites 19 or 20 which are literally on the hiking loop for Ironwood.

My campsite was pretty typical with a rocky flat area to set up my tent, a grill and picnic table. My site had no shade which was ok when I visited in early spring but would have been way to hot to have stayed here during late spring or summer. This was considered to be a developed site which was $32 a night but I managed to somehow get it for a semi-developed price of $22, still not sure how that happened. LUCKY ME!!

While out here it was truly all about the hiking!! There were over 10 trails which circled and wound around ranging in intensity and distance for any skill level. I tackled the moderate ironwood trail which runs into the Ford Trail, one of the longest trails at the park. I didn't do the entire Ford Trail and instead cut over to another trail at an intersection which looped back into camp. From there I ended up driving to another trailhead, Mule Deer, and moving on from there because it hiked by the nature center.

The nature center here was very cool and I always recommend stopping in if there is one available, if nothing else to get a better idea of what kind of wildlife to watch out for in the area you are visiting.

TIPS:

• Bring lots of water. Though there are fresh water stations around, the water seemed to have an odd taste to me, I would recommend bringing water especially if you are sensitive to tastes.

• Check out the Ford Canyon or Goat Camp trails if you are really into a challenge. These have a lot of rock scrambling and some of the highest heights in the park. If you want an easy hike with a great view check out the Waterfall Canyon Trail.

Bring water and take a hike

This area is best for its hiking and photo ops, in my humble opinion. As with most desert campgrounds in Arizona, there is not much privacy between the sites but take advantage of the beauty. The waterfall trail is an easy hike and very doable with kids. You can only bring a stroller so far unless it's an off-roading stroller but the hike is worth it (especially if there's water flowing). There's a playground across from the trailhead in case all else fails and someone stays behind with he little ones. Restrooms are thoughtfully placed here. DO watch for rattle snakes on this trail and all for that matter. Also, bring a lot of water and then some. Stop at the Visitor Center and library on your way in. You're not far removed from civilization so anything you need is just a brief drive away.

Desert Oasis

You can camp right on the shore at this lake or choose a designated camp site but know you won’t have any privacy. This is generally a very popular place so avoid in peak season if you’re looking for solitude. Boat rentals are available and you’ll have several docking options. Take one of the hiking trails offering gorgeous views of desert landscape and blue lake water. You’ll also usually spot a few wild burros (donkeys). Great recreation lake.

Ranger Review: INA389 INNO Bike Rack at Turf Trailer Lodge

TO CLARIFY: The two stars is for the CAMPGROUND, not the Bike Rack.  The Bike Rack receives 5 stars.

Campground Review

If you want to LIVE somewhere in an RV or Mobile Home, this is a good place for you, possibly.  If you are a camper for a night or two, this is not your spot.

This “campground” is in the middle of a concrete jungle and does not have greenery, or a playground, or any amenities.

There is electric and water hookups at each site.  Most of the sites were occupied but there were a couple vacant spaces.

Again, not for camping.  This is for residing in.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products for free in exchange for my honest review.  This is one such product:

It was really fun to take the INNO INA389 Tire Hold II Bike Rack out for a spin.  My husband and I decided to install it without looking at the instructions to see how easy and intuitive the set up was.  The answer: very easy and intuitive! After we were done hooking it on, we looked at the instructions and we had done it 100% correctly.

Basically you have to have an existing roof rails on your car, and then this just easily pops right on.  You latch the front and back to your rails, then heft the bike up (the hardest part of the whole process; you have to be strong enough to lift a bike onto a car) and press the front and back loops into place and boom!  You’re done! It was as easy as that.

We started out driving cautiously, since we’d never used a rooftop rack before, but quickly became comfortable and knew it would stay firm.  We took surface streets to the campground to be sure it was safe, and the highway home since we knew it was perfect.

I highly recommend this rack if you like to take your bike out places and still have easy access to your trunk.  Easy to install and easy to remove. It even has a key-lock on the top so the bike can’t be stolen.

Great product!

Lots of solitude to offer

This isn't the greatest campsite in the world, more of a glorified rest stop with a painted-rock exhibit. I got there late at night traveling from Texas to California and it was pretty easy to find. There are restrooms, dumpsters, and picnic tables.

Don't expect much from this place as it is funded by the honor system, but the solitude is nice and it makes for a decent stop to break up your road trip.

Beautiful Views

Great little place to camp near Phoenix. The lake is beautiful and I recommend taking the Roadrunner hike -- even easy for kids!

Clean, cheap, close to town

Constellation Park campground is a clean campground located in a Sandy area near the town of Wickenburg. Fee is $8 a night at a self pay station. There is trash service and there is water across the street at the horse trough by the rodeo grounds. You can fill jugs, but there is not room to fill a trailer. People with horses are given preference in the spaces with corrals. There is no host. Sites are large, widely spaces with plenty of desert shade trees. Cell service is good. Just a mile to McDonalds. Don't try to stay here when the rodeo is scheduled.

So much fun

This was a wonderful place to camp with family and water toys!

didn’t even stay the night

We arrived at 6:30 and the office was closed but our info was hanging on the door. Site was so small after 3 attempts to back our camper in we left. Pool was tiny and kids were only allowed in it from 9am-1pm. Didn’t see the bathrooms.

Great place to RV camp.

Wish they had sewer hookup. (There is a dump station)

A most amazing dog park.

Although I was just spending one night on my way home I was so surprised to find the most amazing K-9 Park ever. 3 separate secure areas with large grass areas in two of them. My pup had so much fun. They have water, toys and baggies readily available. Also the entire park as well as the K-9 area was very clean and well kept.

Abundant sunshine

Nice park,, level sites, spotless bathhouses… Only down side is remote location…

Great views and activities

This place fills up pretty quickly especially on the weekends. I enjoy the water activities, boating, fishing, and kayaking. Sites are reasonable with dynamite views. There are fire pits and you can buy firewood on site if needed. It’s well maintained. During the day, lots of people enjoy day passes for the beach area. Very quiet and relaxing at night. I try and go a few times a year to this camp area.

Desert Tortoise Campground

It was a great location. We were easily able to take our tubes and kayaks to the lake from the campsite. Not many trees so it can get hot. Their is a shade structure but I also took my canopy and had lots more shade.

Beautiful but way too crowded

It's a lovely area with great scenery, cactus forest, wild burros. But there are way too many people. The park may even close down if too many people are there. And it needs some love. Some rude, tacky people have littered.

Free Park Entrance

Free entrance to the park with a $20 overnight camping fee. Choice of 7 campgrounds, with nearby restroom, ramadas, beautiful desert setting, and 18.5 miles of hiking trails. No electricity or water

Wow

A little bit better of everything, desert, lake, mountains, abandoned mines, rich in history.

Peaceful

If you like the natural dessert, you’ll love this place. Large camp sites welll spaces.

Very cool

Great views of the lake, most sites are approximately 100 yardsplus or minus from the waters edge. Camp sites are not stacked up on each other.

Desert park & campground

County Park located just west of Phoenix metroplex, in White Tanks Mountains. Roomy sites, with a mixture of gravel and sand. Had a picnic table and grill. This was a shakedown for our new travel trailer, so we wanted to be near town in case something went wrong. Lots of nearby hiking trails, and restrooms and showers were clean. Campsites are behind a rise, so you see stars, not city lights.

Great for a quick escape

Nice, clean campground with awesome lake views.

O

Overnight camping

A pleasant stay

Our stay was very…pleasant…! We had a great time, the campground was spacious, the lake was beautiful to wake up to in the morning, and all the wild burro sightings were a delight!

Wild Burro Encounter!

We had a great time shore camping! We brought our own fire pit and the breeze off the lake kept it cool. We even got up early to fish. The coolest thing though was when we were driving around at night we ran into an entire heard of WILD BURROS! It was awesome!

Pleasant Stay (Pun Intended)

The campground was well marked with signs to guide our arrival. The numbers were visible. We appreciated the great access to both natural and fountain water. The fire pit was very nice. Thank you!!!

Fantastic camping

The camp site we stayed at was fantastic. We had a great time telling story’s and fishing can’t wait to come back

Excellent

We had a wonderful night stay right on the lake. Each campground has a fire pit and a covered picnic table to gather around. We will definitely be back!