Buckeye, ARIZONA
Most Recent Buckeye Camping Reviews
Not the nicest in the area, but as cheap as they come

First, the staff is very friendly and accommodating. They’re open until 5pm on Sundays, which is rare here in Arizona. They only charge $145 for a week, which is $50-$100 cheaper than anybody else in town (most charge at least twice that, and some still make you pay for electricity).

As for the park, well it’s small and older, and most of the people there are full time. Still, it’s very quiet and far enough from town to feel some relief, while being close enough that you’re not cut off from the rest of the world. The WiFi is about the same as anywhere else, but cell service works fine.

I’ve now stayed here twice, and would say that if you’re looking for somewhere to lay your head for the night, or even a week, you could do much worse.

Nice place

Nice place to camp. All the roads are paved and full hookups. Many burros in the area.

Okay for the day "Summer"

Really not much to brag about here, too hot for the summer season. Recommend coming here late Fall thru early Spring.

Hiking trails and Day Use

Hiking trails are well established and marked with emergency location tabs. Maricopa County park required fee. Has a wonderful library and nature center on site. Baseball and softball field, along with shaded ramadas for picnics and get togethers.

Fast get away

From beginning to end always great views from the trials. I can go for a few hours hike or all day.

Desert Tortoise

Great spot if the lake is on the fuller side because you have access to the water right down the hill. We beach our pontoon every year. There are bathroom with running water and water available. No hookups on this loop. Well maintained.

Quick Stop for Overnight

Had a wonderful and peaceful night at the beautiful Leaf Verde. Didn't have much time to enjoy the amenities, however from the looks of the grounds and how the place was kept up, everything looked well taken care of.

Jewel in Buckeye

Moved to Buckeye in Oct of 2018, when exiting off Watson road off I-10 always seen the signs of the Skyline Regional Park. Spent a few months pushing it off from visiting, until I decided to go take the drive up and realized how this hidden jewel was in Buckeye. Well maintained and marked trails with unbelievable views. Restrooms at the parking lot very clean. Overnight campsites which are primitive. However a wonderful and peaceful place to visit to clear your mind or soak up the views.

Midweek Getaway

My wife and I took a two day trip upto Lake Pleasant with our Coleman Camper and Bayliner Boat. It's just a 50 min drive from Buckeye, so it's very close and convenient for us to getaway and still have city amenities near by 15 min drive. The campgrounds are very well taken care of and the restrooms are clean. Unfortunately there was a Fire Ban when we stayed, but that didn't stop us from enjoying the nightlife of the stars and mingling with fellow campers. During the day the lake was so relaxing and refreshing during the heat of the desert. Took the boat as far north to explore the lake and the secluded coves this lake offers. The website makes it easy to pick your site based on availability, however during the week you probably can just pull in and grab a site.

Great place to stay!

We were here for 4 days and it was a great trip. A very quiet place for such a large park.

Super clean trails with amazing views and saguaro cacti for days.

Views of Hot Air Balloons

Big open campground with some hikes nearby. No complaints other than a couple hungry mice at our site.

Easy access camping

I love coming out to Lake Pleasant for camping. There’s lots of easy access camping and friendly people. Sometimes a little loud.

Clean with fill hook ups

Our second time here. Good Sam rates available.

Wonderful KOA

The best KOA park we've been to very clean with friendly staff.

Great summer fun

Large spacious sites. Several camping options available. There is dry camping, T-sites or Resort camping. T sites have only electric and water. Resort has everything. Lake swimming not your thing? Pool available with showers and store. Well managed and great family summer fun.

If you’re into boating, a great place to go. Make reservations.

Sites are rustic, they’ve water and electricity, no sewer. There’s a dump station as you leave the park. No store, be sure you’re well stocked with everything before you head out.

Best Place year around

Have lots of fun and respect the land and lake

Camping Convenience

Weekend adventures at the lake are always fun especially at Lake Pleasant. When camping here, be prepared for plenty of company as camping fills up quick. If you are ok with the sound of generators then you love the amazing views, easy access to the water and convenience of not leaving town!

Across the street from a metro station

I stayed 5 nights here, back in with FHU. The staff was very friendly and the proximity to downtown is great! I was all the way at the front near the bathroom/office, but also near the street. A lot of foot traffic throughout the night being in an urban setting. Next time, I'll request to be a little further back into the park itself.

Beautiful lake views

We were supposed to be in site 173 at the Desert Tortoise campground in Lake Pleasant Regional Park. However, I’m not sure how ANY RV could possibly get in that site! The incline is ridiculous and our 15,000 pound fifth wheel would certainly roll into the lake! We ended up changing to a shoreline campsite. Of course, they made us pay a change fee. You can park pretty much anywhere along the shore. Most of the spaces were filled even though it was only 1 pm (check in time). We found a nice spot on the hill with a beautiful view of the lake. I think we got lucky because they are still letting people in for shoreline camping seven hours later and it’s full!

Nice campground close to Phoenix

Leaf Verde is in Buckeye, AZ which is only 30 minutes from Phoenix. The pool is refreshing and if you aren’t into swimming there is a pool table, dog park and shuffle board to keep you busy. The sites are gravel and close together but nice.

Really nice, not level

Nice sites, small campground. Most sites are not level. There are a few that can accomodate a class A. You can get water and dump at Fast Mart 76 about 9 miles away. I would stay here again. It is very peaceful. Verizon cell service is good with a wifi booster, very little at&t coverage.

Desert Camping With Great Hiking

If you like rock scrambling there is plenty of that at the White Tank Mountain Regional Park. Staying here you will find that hiking is your major focus as typical desert style camping is made special by the excitement of the trails around you.

The family campground is not one of the largest campgrounds you will find in this region but it fair sized. Spaces are large and spread out making it a great fit for tent campers or RV campers.

When I visited I stayed in campsite 29, on the top of the far side of the loop on the one way drive in. I was a few hundred yards from the restroom facility on a back in space which outlooked toward the desert entirely. The outer ring of the loop, you can literally hike right out of your campsite and be in the middle of everything. I will say however that had I have known a bit more about the area before visiting I probably would have selected sites 19 or 20 which are literally on the hiking loop for Ironwood.

My campsite was pretty typical with a rocky flat area to set up my tent, a grill and picnic table. My site had no shade which was ok when I visited in early spring but would have been way to hot to have stayed here during late spring or summer. This was considered to be a developed site which was $32 a night but I managed to somehow get it for a semi-developed price of $22, still not sure how that happened. LUCKY ME!!

While out here it was truly all about the hiking!! There were over 10 trails which circled and wound around ranging in intensity and distance for any skill level. I tackled the moderate ironwood trail which runs into the Ford Trail, one of the longest trails at the park. I didn't do the entire Ford Trail and instead cut over to another trail at an intersection which looped back into camp. From there I ended up driving to another trailhead, Mule Deer, and moving on from there because it hiked by the nature center.

The nature center here was very cool and I always recommend stopping in if there is one available, if nothing else to get a better idea of what kind of wildlife to watch out for in the area you are visiting.

TIPS:

• Bring lots of water. Though there are fresh water stations around, the water seemed to have an odd taste to me, I would recommend bringing water especially if you are sensitive to tastes.

• Check out the Ford Canyon or Goat Camp trails if you are really into a challenge. These have a lot of rock scrambling and some of the highest heights in the park. If you want an easy hike with a great view check out the Waterfall Canyon Trail.

Bring water and take a hike

This area is best for its hiking and photo ops, in my humble opinion. As with most desert campgrounds in Arizona, there is not much privacy between the sites but take advantage of the beauty. The waterfall trail is an easy hike and very doable with kids. You can only bring a stroller so far unless it's an off-roading stroller but the hike is worth it (especially if there's water flowing). There's a playground across from the trailhead in case all else fails and someone stays behind with he little ones. Restrooms are thoughtfully placed here. DO watch for rattle snakes on this trail and all for that matter. Also, bring a lot of water and then some. Stop at the Visitor Center and library on your way in. You're not far removed from civilization so anything you need is just a brief drive away.

Desert Oasis

You can camp right on the shore at this lake or choose a designated camp site but know you won’t have any privacy. This is generally a very popular place so avoid in peak season if you’re looking for solitude. Boat rentals are available and you’ll have several docking options. Take one of the hiking trails offering gorgeous views of desert landscape and blue lake water. You’ll also usually spot a few wild burros (donkeys). Great recreation lake.

Ranger Review: INA389 INNO Bike Rack at Turf Trailer Lodge

TO CLARIFY: The two stars is for the CAMPGROUND, not the Bike Rack.  The Bike Rack receives 5 stars.

Campground Review

If you want to LIVE somewhere in an RV or Mobile Home, this is a good place for you, possibly.  If you are a camper for a night or two, this is not your spot.

This “campground” is in the middle of a concrete jungle and does not have greenery, or a playground, or any amenities.

There is electric and water hookups at each site.  Most of the sites were occupied but there were a couple vacant spaces.

Again, not for camping.  This is for residing in.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products for free in exchange for my honest review.  This is one such product:

It was really fun to take the INNO INA389 Tire Hold II Bike Rack out for a spin.  My husband and I decided to install it without looking at the instructions to see how easy and intuitive the set up was.  The answer: very easy and intuitive! After we were done hooking it on, we looked at the instructions and we had done it 100% correctly.

Basically you have to have an existing roof rails on your car, and then this just easily pops right on.  You latch the front and back to your rails, then heft the bike up (the hardest part of the whole process; you have to be strong enough to lift a bike onto a car) and press the front and back loops into place and boom!  You’re done! It was as easy as that.

We started out driving cautiously, since we’d never used a rooftop rack before, but quickly became comfortable and knew it would stay firm.  We took surface streets to the campground to be sure it was safe, and the highway home since we knew it was perfect.

I highly recommend this rack if you like to take your bike out places and still have easy access to your trunk.  Easy to install and easy to remove. It even has a key-lock on the top so the bike can’t be stolen.

Great product!

Lots of solitude to offer

This isn't the greatest campsite in the world, more of a glorified rest stop with a painted-rock exhibit. I got there late at night traveling from Texas to California and it was pretty easy to find. There are restrooms, dumpsters, and picnic tables.

Don't expect much from this place as it is funded by the honor system, but the solitude is nice and it makes for a decent stop to break up your road trip.

Beautiful Views

Great little place to camp near Phoenix. The lake is beautiful and I recommend taking the Roadrunner hike -- even easy for kids!

Clean, cheap, close to town

Constellation Park campground is a clean campground located in a Sandy area near the town of Wickenburg. Fee is $8 a night at a self pay station. There is trash service and there is water across the street at the horse trough by the rodeo grounds. You can fill jugs, but there is not room to fill a trailer. People with horses are given preference in the spaces with corrals. There is no host. Sites are large, widely spaces with plenty of desert shade trees. Cell service is good. Just a mile to McDonalds. Don't try to stay here when the rodeo is scheduled.