Equestrian
21 Reviews of Dead Horse Ranch State Park
Ranger Review: Humangear at Dead Horse Ranch State Park

Ranger Review: Humangear at Dead Horse Ranch State Park

Campground Review

We had a great time at Dead Horse Ranch! We just moved to Arizona, so we went in with zero expectations and were very pleased with just about everything.

Just 2 days beforehand, we booked our cabin on the campground website, the official Arizona State Parks site. The process was seamless, and we even got to pick our specific cabin out at no extra cost or fuss. We even got a confirmation email with our cabin unlock code on it when we booked. So convenient!

When we arrived at the park, we were warmly greeted by the Ranger and given instructions on getting to the cabin and activities in the park. Our cabin was small but just what we needed. It has an air conditioner/heater, so what more could you want!

After settling in, we drove around and saw the park has a lovely fishing and paddling area. Sadly we didn’t bring our fishing gear or boat, so we will have to do that next time. But there are lots of covered picnic areas and shading trees along the water.

While there, we did three “hikes”. They have real hikes there, but we have a 5, 3 and 1 year old so we had to keep it mellow. But the nature walks they had were great for that age group and was just enough to not burn out the kids. One of the hikes, per suggestion of the ranger, leads down to a little lagoon of water stopped between two dams. The kids were able to splash and play there -- it was just perfect! We went there twice in the 24 hours we were at the park.

All in all, a wonderful experience. There is a lot to see and do at this park. My only criticism is the bathrooms for the cabins. They are just fine, but there are only 2 of them for 8 cabins. Instead of having a bathroom with stalls and showers, it is just two stalls total that include a toilet, urinal, sink, and shower in a big lockable room. Seemed like an odd choice. I had to wait to use the bathroom several times because of this, and only have the cabins were occupied.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At Dead Horse Ranch, I tested a GoToob+, Flexibowl, and GoBites products from Humangear.

With the GoToob+, I decided to homemake a special hot dog sauce ahead of time and bring it to the campsite with me in the GoToob+. It worked perfectly! I especially love the new feature, called the LoopLock that slips up over the top of the cap as an extra security against leaks. When I have all my food packed for camping, the last thing I want to think about is leaking sticky sauce all over everything. Awesome feature.

Here is the recipe for the Sweet Campin’ Sauce:

• 1/2 tsp Onion powder
  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 3/4 cup Ketchup
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 cup Brown sugar
  • 1 tsp Cider vinegar

Mix all these together in a saucepan until all sugars are dissolved and ingredients are melted together. Allow to cool slightly and pour carefully into your GoToob+ and snap on the LoopLock. Throw into your camping cooler and enjoy some high-class dogs as you camp!

Here is a video I made to show you how: Ranger Review: https://youtu.be/Oj7enCSig5U

I also really loved the Flexibowl and GoBites utensils. The Flexibowl has a lip that can be flipped up or down, if you want more of a secure “bowl” or more of an open “cup”. I used it for homemade cole slaw.

The GoBites utensils came in really handy, especially the sharp knife! I needed to cut up hot dog into tiny pieces for my baby, and the knife did a great job. Also love the little toothpick included in the box -- shows a level of thougtfulness.

If you want any of these products, visit http://www.humangear.com/

Don't let the name fool you

Very nice large state park in between Sedona and Prescotte. Lots to do hike, fish, horseback ride right in the park. Nice polite neighbor, and great bath houses. Not too much shade available. Would stay again just not in June.

Quiet Campground

Loved this campground, very peaceful, great views of the surrounding mountains. Watched the sunrise over the mountain.

The bathrooms are very clean.

Hot

The campground is nice and has well maintained bathhouse. When making a reservation make sure you find spots with shade. Great location to see area towns.

Always a great time.

This is the 4th time I've stayed here. It's close to Sedona and the park itself has alot to see.

Great Park

Beautiful park with lots of space to explore and play! There are lagoons with a trail around each one. Our favorite was the river access. A great place for a picnic and some splashing around. We were there two days, and it felt like there was much more to explore than we could fit in the time.

In the middle of it all!

A great AZ park. Clean, big and new. Plus it is so close to everything. Tuzigoot national monument is literally 5 minutes away. Sedona is about an hour or so away. And cottonwood has got some cool restaurants and antique shops in it too.

Homebase for great National Monuments

Dead Horse Ranch is a beautiful Arizona state park. It is also a great home base because it is down the street from Tuzigoot National Monument and close to Sedona and Monetzuma Castle National Monument. It is just outside the charming city of Cottonwood.

Nice campground with hot showers

A friend and I spent two nights in the tent-only Blackhawk Loop at this campground in late March 2016. The campground is well laid out with 3 mixed-camping loops (RV and tent) and a single tent-only loop set somewhat apart. Restrooms and hot showers were present in most loops and cleaned daily. The park has a small camp store with basic necessities. There also is access to neighboring trails.

The only drawback to this campground is a lack of windbreak or shelter, especially in the tent-only loop; site 116 (end site with view over town below) has NO windbreak whatsoever. Plan accordingly because the sand/dirt will be flying and will infiltrate EVERYTHING.