the dyrt
Arapahoe, WYOMING
Most Recent Arapahoe Camping Reviews
Free camping downtown

In the city of Lander you can camp for up to three days for free at the city park. It’s a pretty good deal as the the tent area is set back behind the stadium in a nice grassy area with access to flush toilets in the parking area. It was pretty busy while I was there, with quite a few families and cyclists taking advantage of the free camping. The Popo Agie River runs next to the park which makes for a nice sound machine to fall asleep to.  If you need a shower head over to the Recreation Center and pay $5 for use of the facilities. In town are some great restaurants (Cowfish is my favorite, with a microbrewery attached), and outside of town is some great hiking in Sinks Canyon and the Shoshone National Forest.

Tight little campground.

In the Sinks Canyon, this is a nice little campground wedged between the highway and the river and mountains. Campsites are small and close to each other, but level and clean. Each site has the usual picnic table, fire pit, and bear box; but the concerns were less about bears and more about moose. There are Yurts for rent here too. The family I met that had reserved one was really happy with their yurt. There are nice hiking trails on the other side of the river (moose warning signs and all), and some nice trails on the other side of the highway. I’d camp here again even though it is so close to the road because the river drowns out the highway noise. Be careful if you decide to dip your toes in the river; the flow is really fast!! Just down the road about a mile is the Sinks and the Rise, where the Popo Agie River disappears into a cave at the base of the mountain and then miraculously reappears gushing out of the base of a mountain on the other side of the canyon.

Camping Next to a Cascade

This was a wonderful surprise in the heart of Wyoming. We spent the night on our return from Yellowstone. The campsite was right on the drive and next to a cascade in a deep canyon. The crashing waters helped me sleep well all night, while it kept my wife awake for the same reason.

Clean vault toilet, potable water, wildlife, and great trails.

Other camping areas with electricity and water are further in.

Nice little town with cute shops, and great ice cream just to the north.

We will return.

Solid stop over to Grand Tetons from Colorado

Lot going on at this campground. Lake view a an extremely long train going through a mountain. Wild!

Several areas to choose from

Lots of different options to choose from on lake or on river…my favorite is the one right next to the tunnels. Plenty of wildlife to watch come down to river in the evening or early mornings. Kids love the train that runs thru the canyon.

Free camp with a view!

This is an awesome camp area! There is actually 5 miles of gravel road that has different dispersed campsites. We stayed on the upper Teton loop which was popular but worth it! One bear box on the loop. Many fire pits to signify each camp site. Both tents and Large RVs. We have a 28’ bumper pull - roads are a bit rough but fine. Our neighbors saw some black bear in the area. You’re in the middle to both entrances of the GTNP.

Pretty, quiet campground

Peaceful lakeside spot – stayed here for one night while passing through the area. Loved the sunrise over the lake and the privacy of the sites. Quiet place to camp, even though there were a lot of groups there when we arrived, we had no trouble finding a spot. Pit toilet on-site and walking trails around the lake are close by.

Perfect for Tent or Van Camping.

Small campground with vault toilet and potable water. NOT recommended for larger RV. Pogo Aige runs right through and good access to hiking trails. Be sure to drive the Loop Road from the Campground back over to Hwy 28. Found campgrounds there I will try next time. Don’t miss the Falls but be aware there is a change in elevation (stop at visitor information ).

Perfect

Perfect. I don't say it lightly, but… full disclosure, I'm from Lander originally. Camping here is like coming home, and you can't beat the fishing. Be sure to hike to The Falls!

Glacier Trail 801 Campground, Fitzpatrick Wilderness Area

Closest Town, Dubois Wyoming

This is a primitive campsite, with no running water, fire rings or fancy tent platforms, but there is a vault toilet about 200 yards away in the parking area for the New Glacier Trailhead, aka Glacier Trail 801. There is room for several tents spread out among the trees and scrub, and a few spots right next to Torrey Creek, as we chose. They are not numbered and there is to my knowledge, no way to reserve a spot. That said, we were the only ones there in July!

Glacier Trail 801 is located at the end of Forrest Road #411, and branches off along the way to Whiskey Mtn Trail 804 and Lake Louise Trail 806. This campsite made a great jumping off point for day hiking. The hike to Lake Louise is worth every step! (even if you haven't acclimated to the altitude yet and less than 4 mile loop feels more like 15, just saying ;) Don't forget to log your name in the register before setting off on the trails.

Technically speaking, this campsite is right on Torrey Creek, at Glacier Trailhead 801.1.

Adjacent to this area, is a turn around that can accommodate RVs, with maybe 6 spots give or take. No hook ups, but there are bear boxes on these sites.

What to know: Bear Country, you know the shpeel. Mosquitos, affirmative. Remember Torrey Creek is glacial melt and is likely to be heavier later in the day than in the morning, and sounds incredible to sleep by at night.

How to get there: Heading South out of Dubois, WY, take US-26 for about 3.5 miles and turn right on Trail Lake Road (look for the Fish Hatchery sign, which is small and easy to miss). Stay on Trail Lake Road/#411 at the fork. Continue on #411 all the way to the end and you will find yourself in the parking lot for Glacier Trail 801. See the vault toilet and look a couple hundred yards past that and beyond the horse corral to Torrey Creek for the campsites. You can drive all the way too it, past the horses, but beware it is really rutted.

True Story: I am relatively certain I am the only person that actually wears bear bells when I hike. But hey, I sound pretty dang cheerful everywhere I go!

Sweet spot!

Beautiful views, big old train going through the tunnel of a mountain. Wild little spot.

City park tent camping

Great little park next to a great river. It was swollen while we were there. You can use the park facilities. Great town to stay and explore the area.

Beach

Beach of wyoming

A good lake

We went in July - so bring bug spray if you go at the same time we did! Louis Lake is beautiful. There are some rustic cabins just next to it that you can rent out. Be aware that there isn’t electricity, but there are lots of canoes and kayaks you can take on the lake as well as life vests to wear. If you drive a little ways from there you can do an AMAZING hike that ends in beautiful waterfalls and a “slide rock” that is very smooth and you can slide over the falls. Park at Bruce’s (it’s a good parking spot) then hike Popo Aggies trail to the falls.

Riverside nooks in a state park adjoining national forest - a hiking and cl

I was looking to avoid Yellowstone because I’m traveling with a dog. I looked for national forest land that would take me around. Sinks Canyon State Park was perfectly placed so we headed here. The visitor center was very helpful and pointed us to a few camping options. I asked which one the ranger preferred and he went to Popo Agie right away.

The campground is right on the road - 20 feet over and 20 down. However the road only goes to the state park and into national forest. The roar of the river (20 feet to the other side) masks the minimal vehicles.

Augie, the camp host, immediately waved me over. We talked about my teardrop and his bus conversion. He pointed to the last two spots with shade. One was taken so I took site 5.

The site is a straight paved line. There is a wood chip square for a tent. The fire pit and picnic table are on a gravel pad. Just beyond that is the river. What a wonderful sound to relax to!

There is a group camp closer to town and another state park campground further down the road. Is those are full, national forest campgrounds are further on but the pavement ends. There are yurts interspersed with the campsites. Vault toilets and garbage/recycling bins are nearby. Water is down the entrance road in one central location.

Hiking trails start across the bridge in camp. You can also drive down the road and find more challenging routes. A playground is by the group site.

An interesting discovery is to see where the river sinks into the ground and then reappears a quarter mile down the mountain. Dye tests show it takes 2 hours to go the distance - leaving speculation as to what happens in between. The heat was in during the day - 97 in town and a few less in camp. It cools down to the 50’s overnight. The sites have diverse configurations. This is a great place - just get a site with some shade.

Great hiking access to Wind River mountains and Cirque of the Towers

One of the most incredible mountain ranges in the U.S. Hesitant to even post about this so as not to give it away.

Gorgeous views

The campsites fill up quickly but there are many to choose from. There are also cabins nearby and a small store.

Roughing it with minor creature comforts. Restroom, pump for water.

There are several different spots to choose from. Restrooms. Pumps for water. Lots of walking trails nearby.

Beautiful!

I took my 4 teens and 3 dogs tent camping here last summer and it was the best of the best. The surroundings are magnificent. The nature trail was fun. The campsites are spaced away from each other so as to enjoy privacy. We could have stayed longer it was wonderful.

Rustic and beautiful

Loved camping here. Arrived late, but still found a spot. Beautiful park, nice sites. Gorgeous hiking in this part and Pop Agie Falls trail nearby.

City Park Camping

This is a pretty great setup! Camping in the City Park is FREE and limited to 3 days. This place gets busy during festivals which occur with some regularity on the summer weekends. I'd check beforehand unless that's the reason you're there! There is a area for trailers. Tents can be pitched on the lawn area. It's a park with nice lawns which are watered regularly so there is the sprinkler obstacle.

Flush toilets are available and water. The park has a volleyball area and horseshoe pits. There are covered picnic areas. No fires allowed, but there are grill available for cooking.

Great place, close to adventure with town amenities readily available!

A Climbers Paradise!

I visit Wild Iris frequently! They have amazing limestone sport routes in a variety of skill levels. The campground is along a severely rutted road, but are level and in the trees along the OK Corral Crag. The area has a well marked trail system to point you in the direction of different walls along the crag.

Each campsite offers a metal bear boxes to store your food items. There story is, there was a black bear who broke into someone's camper and ate their waffles. So there is a bear named Waffles in the area! There is established rock fire rings. Pit toilets at the parking area for The Main Wall area. Tons of trees and more climbing than one can do in a lifetime! And it is FREE!

We visit several times a year! Check out the International Climbing Festival that is hosted in July each year!

Ranger Review: Saris SuperClamp EX at Hugh Otte Camping Area

I was visiting the Lander area to attend the first Girls High School Swimming Invite of the year. (My daughter qualified for State in the backstroke today!) Just so happened to also be the Jurassic Classic Mountain Bike Festival too! Bonus! https://www.jurassicclassicfest.com/

Campground Review: I pulled into the campground on a Friday night around 9:30. All the good spots with trees where occupied. Campsites are identified by a rock fire ring. That's all they have to identify sites. I camped in a field. The wind was pretty bad, unfortunately. This campground is closest to the Popo Aggie Falls, only about a 10 minute walk to the trailhead. I biked the trail early the next morning. It is a difficult bike trail, beyond my skill level with vey rocky terrain. It is popular with hikers and trail runners. The roads in the campground are quite rocky and rutted in some areas. Some were not comfortably passable with my small SUV.

Product Review: Saris SuperClamp EX 2-Bike. https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I occasionally get to test out some awesome products while camping! This weekend I demonstrated the Saris SuperClamp EX 2-Bike rack. I drive a compact SUV- Nissan Juke, and this suits my vehicle perfectly! The rack is light and very easy for me to manage installing in my receiver. The rack has tilting capabilities so you can leave it installed if you're a frequent biker. Just tilt it forward so it doesn't stick out quite as far. It also tilts outward so the hatch back can be opened when fully loaded!

Loading bikes onto this rack is so simple! The arms hug the tires securely without anything hooking into the bike frame. I previously used a trunk mounted rack which has caused damage to both my bikes and my vehicle. No chance of damage with the Saris SuperClamp, unless you're incredibly careless loading your bike. The wheel straps are nice and long and can accomodate bikes with plus sized tires. Not sure if the strap would accommodate a fat bike, you would definitely need to order the tire trays for fat bike tires, but plus size works with this rack. There are included bike locks, I love this feature! The receiver locks and the cables run through the bike frame and lock to the rack, nice touch!

The rack travels well. I love the ease of mind of not having to worry that the straps are secured tight enough, and rechecking if things have loosened. This is foolproof! Super secure and easy to use! I had the opportunity to show it off a bit at the Jurassic Classic Mountain Bike Festival that was right near the campground! Five stars!

Great for paddling

Fun place in a beautiful setting in the Shoshone National Forest in the southern most part of the Windriver Mountains.

Be perepared for afternoon rain. But bring plenty of drinking water as there is no potable water here.

The rate is $10/night pretty reasonable! The camp sites are kind of close together, but it is also fun to get to know your fellows campers.

There are pit toilets, bear proof storage, and nice tables and fire rings with grates. There is no potable water here.

There is a lodge on the lake with rustic cabins for rent. starting at $85/night Www.louislake.com

I prefer Fiddlers Lake ( see my Review) There is abundant primitive camping all over the area if you prefer space over amenities.

Small family friendly campground

This campground is located just inside the border of Sinks Canyon State Park, only 6 miles from the town of Lander.

This campground has a large group area with a very nice playground for the kids. It is rather close to the highway. The Popo Agie river flows through the campground and borders each campsite (I think there are about 6 sites.)

Sinks Canyon is a fantastic place to explore for the day or weekend. There are abundant hiking trails, mountain biking, and rock climbing ion the limestone cliffs.

this campground would be best for vans or small campers.

One of my favorites!

They have recycling!! This is the first campground I've stayed at that had recycling bins!

For Wyoming residents, cost is only $6.00 a vehicle. Not per site. It is $11 if you are from out of state which is still more reasonable than the surrounding forest service campgrounds. What a bargain!

This campground is very clean and in a beautiful setting with big limestone cliffs on one side and the Popo Agie river and forests on the other. The Sinks of the Popo Agie isn't far from camp, about a mile and the Visitors Center is located there.The rise is about another half mile away and has the biggest trout I've ever seen! The climbing in the area is spectacular! There are hiking trails galore in the state park and in the Shoshone National Forest.

It is my experience that state parks have the cleanest campgrounds! They clean the ashes out of each fire pit between each new camper. The pits toilets are stocked and maintained.

They have 3 yurts you can rent! Cost is $40 plus the $6/11 state park fee. Reservations can be made at www. Sinkscanyonstatepark.org

there is a very cool suspension bridge crossing the Popo Agie that takes you to a hiking/mountain biking loop in the forest.

Such a cool place! Check it out!

Mostly set up for day camping

Small lake popular with fishermen. There were a few paddle sport users present. It is very hot in July and there are provided shade structures. You can see the Boysen Reservoir from the road on the north side of the lake, they are very close.  There are several pit toilets available around the perimeter of the lake.

Small campground in the Windriver Mountains

It's a very small campground with a pit toilet, a few picnic tables, rock fire rings, and that's about it. It will set you back $5 a night. There is a meat pole, so it must be a popular place during hunting season.

Ranger Review: Green Goo Bugs be Gone at Fiddlers Lake, WY

Campground Review: Fiddler Lake

I loved this campground! The camp host, Max, is very helpful and welcoming. This is his third year hosting Fiddlers Lake, so he has a wealth of knowledge to share about the area. This camp has the only potable water in the area. The sites are tiered and level. There is a walk in tent site area, but the sites along the lake also have nice tent pads available. There are several pit toilets along the perimeter of the lake as well as potable water pumps. The mosquitos were present, but not in unbearable swarms. Max mentioned they were nothing compared to three days ago after heavy rains. Also, be prepared for afternoon showers! Next visit I am definitely bringing a paddle board or kayak along.

Disclosure: this was my very first solo camping adventure, so being alone where bear proof boxes are provided kind of freaked me out, but it went off without a hitch!

Product Review: Green Goo Bugs Be Gone from Outdoor Travel Packhttps://greengoohelps.com/collections/travel-packs/products/outdoor-travel-pack

As a Ranger with The Dyrt, I get to review sponsor products from time to time. This weekend I brought my Green Goo Outdoor Travel Pack, which includes the Bugs Be Gone spray. As far as insect repellent goes, this stuff smells good! Very lemony. I applied frequently and it kept mosquitoes at bay. For a organic product with no harmful chemicals it works great! I feel it is superior to other natural products I've used in the past. This bottle came in a sampler kit. Time to order a full size!

Everything included in the Outdoor Travel Pack are superior products! I love the texture of the lip balms, and they are not overly flavored or shiny. The "goo's" are fantastic for healing split fingers, rough & dry heals, or soothing irritated skin. The pain relief ointment has added arnica to soothe soreness. I also use their deodorant and I prefer it over Tom's or other pricier natural aluminum free deodorants I've used.

Climbing, fishing, hiking, Oh My!

Great place close to many very cool sites and activities! Amazing limestone climbing, although I prefer the Wild Iris crag. Fishing the Popo Agie is challenging but rewarding! The hike into the Popo Agie Falls is worth seeing!

Cost is $15/night. Camp has pit toilets, pottable water and level sites. Each site has a fire pit, table and grill with grate. Dumpster available and bear proof storage is available in each site which is a bonus! The camp close to Lander in the state park is superior to this campground. But this is nice with average amenities.