Standard (Tent/RV)
No WiFi
RVs and Trailers
No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
Stone Cliff Campground is located in New River Gorge National River in West Virginia
8 Reviews of Stone Cliff Campground
Great place, very secluded

I used one of the walk in sites about half a mile into the trail. There was plenty of room for 4 tents right along the river. It was a little rocky, but nothing a sleeping pad wouldn't take care of

World’s Largest Spider!

Beautiful spot on New River. Make sure you remember to print off directions if you are unfamiliar with the area. There are 4 nice spots down on the beach (we opted against these since we didn’t want to clean sand out of everything when we packed up) and two up a small hill close to the parking lot and trailhead. We stayed at #6. Had plenty of space and were far enough away to not hear our neighbors. It had a pit latrine bathroom which was better than what I expected for free! The campground is very close to the abandoned town of Thurmond (very cool site to see) and is within earshot of the train tracks. We were hanging some hammock stapes up on our last evening and saw the largest spider I’ve ever seen in the hollow of one of the trees at the campsite. If spiders aren’t your thing consider another site :)

Disappointed Silly

So we had no idea there was a steep gravel decline to get to the camp site. My wife and I had brought our hatchback instead of our SUV- so our fault, but if this had been mentioned somewhere then we would have known. We merely stared from afar as we drove to a different campsite. It looked great, but we didn’t want to chance the terrain in the low car.

Quiet & comfortable

Very quiet, sand bottom site areas right on the water. Bathrooms need extreme cleaning smelled badly. Plenty of Deadwood for the fire pits.

Secluded, peaceful sites by the river

I loved the experience I had at stone cliff. The camp sites are well marked and maintained. There are some right on the river and a couple more set back closer to the trail. Great spot to set up a hammock, go swimming, or walk on the nearby trails if you aren’t climbing.

Even with the rainy weather the area wasn’t too muddy and the campsite we stayed at was level so there wasn’t any issue.

There were 2-3 other groups there and it still felt secluded with the sites distance from each other and the wooded area. There’s several easy to access trash cans, a picnic area, and plenty of parking as well.

My dog absolutely loved it-the swimming was A+ and the stick selection was up to her standards 😂

Private and beautiful

We went in the middle of the week, on a Tuesday. It had been raining a lot the days before but did not rain at all the three days we stayed. It was incredibly private, we were the only ones staying overnight. There were some visitors throughout the days, hiking, fishing, and a lot of white water rafters. We stayed at site 7 which was definitely the most private, the only downside being people walking on the trail walk right by your camp, but it wasn’t a very big deal. The second most private campsite was 6

The only downsides were the bathrooms and maybe the train. The bathrooms were a pit latrine, which is private but not necessarily clean or comfortable lol. Also trains would go by every few hours, it didn’t bother us much but it could be annoying to some people. It was also veryyy cold in the mornings but that was due to going in spring. I can’t see it being a problem during the summer

Overall I really enjoyed this campsite, and the seclusion of it. I could see it having a lot more people later in the summer and on less rainy days so I’d recommend getting there early if you want a private site

Secluded Riverside campsite

Tucked away by the river past Thurmond. Great secluded sites. Trailhead for hiking from camp. A bit of a drive to visit any of the sites around New River but worth it to be away from it all. 6 sites all walk-in first come first serve. We were there in fall so no crowds at all. primitive, beautiful, and, a hidden gem

Some of the Best Climbing in the Eastern US!

There are so many things to come for and so many things to stay for! I've come here to climb and ended up fishing. I've come to fish and ended up hiking and climbing. There is no wrong turn here!