Amboy, WASHINGTON

Most Recent Amboy Camping Reviews

We had a blast! So green and beautiful. Not far from downtown. Lots of space/areas for our kids to run to climb big rocks. We will 100% be back.

Campground near Trout Lake/Guler Ice Caves

This campground boarders both sides of the Lost Creek (Dried up most of the time).  The sites are fairly large, but very open with little to no privacy.  I was in spot 10 and the entire spot was open up to the road, which is not my favorite.  Many of the other sites were open due to no small trees/brush.  There was also a very fine dust in the entire spot that can drive certain people nuts, especially ones with small dogs who turn into little clouds of dust!

There were a couple deer that roamed the campground and wondered in and out of campsites.  I had to shoo away 1 so he wouldn't stomp on my little dog while walking through my site.  It was cool seeing them up close though.  Also it was the start of a very good huckleberry season and the entire campground was full of huckleberry bushes.  I was able to gather several cups just from my camp spot alone.

While this isn't my favorite campsite, it was overall a good campground and if you are in the area I would recommend it.

Nice place to camp

We were looking for a place between Portland and Seattle for one last night of camping. We were able to get site 12 the day we arrived at Seaquest without an advance reservation. It’s near a water spigot and not too far from the bathhouse.

One bathhouse included in my pictures was part of another loop that was on the walking path to the Mount Saint Helens Visitor Center, located across the street. A short tunnel goes under the road for safe access to the visitor center.

Seaquest State Park has a small playground and picnic area. There’s not much else to the park. It’s proximity to Mount Saint Helens probably makes it popular. The facilities were clean and the campground was quiet. Nice place for a quiet, relaxing camping experience.

High Lake Campground near Mt. Hood

This campground is on the shores of Laurence Lake.  Almost all of the spots were right on the lake or close enough to have lake views.  It's a smaller campground and the spots are fairly open, so not as much privacy with the neighbors.  The spot I had was right off the boat launch and next to the path for the walk-in spots.  I was only there 1 night, but it would be a great place to camp if you wanted to play on the water, ie SUP or Kayak.  The road leading up to the campground was a bit rough in some areas that lower clearance vehicles would need to be careful on.  There is also no water, so you need to bring your own.  Would definitely recommend this campground.

Pretty Good close in campground

It's not bad at all, just right off of the highway.

My favorite camp ground and park

Many trails to walk down with beautiful surroundings, two separate parks, large gathering areas for parties or family gatherings, have many camp spots,and is tents, TVs and afforadable.

This park is small and right off and busy road

They have a restroom, great spot to fish, but not many spot to camp and no serene surroundings…

Thousand Trails Paradise Is Awesome

This was a very nice Thousand Trails. We stay two nights from September 13th through September 16, 2019, in campsite 187, the stay was free due to our Thousand Trails membership. Our site had electricity and water hook up.

The site was level and backed up to a creek that was down below the site. The stay site was quiet, no one camping on our driver side did have a neighbor on the passenger side. The campground is at an elevation of 125 ft. Access to the campground was right off hwy 12, our 28 ft travel trailer easily fit with room to spare in our site. Once we entering the campground, the pavement turns to hard-packed gravel as we circled around a couple of times to find our campsite.

The weather was high overcast in the mid 60's, the nights low 50s. It did rain hard on Sunday morning from 2am to 10am. This is a very quiet campground, activities we found at the campground to keep busy was shuffleboard which we enjoyed for the first time. The Billards table was in really good shape too. A musician name Dr A played music Saturday night in the lodge. The campground has clean free showers, plenty of hot water and not more than a 5 minute walk from our campsite. Since we arrived on a Friday school day, the campgrounds were not full, there was no waiting for showers.

My wife and I enjoyed the campground, we will be back the next time we want to hike at Mt. St. Helens.

Suprised

When we pulled in with our 40' Coach I thought oboy I blew it. Getting into our site was a little tight but doable. We were in a pull through tucked in the forest with full hookups. A fire pit and picnic table too! If you go camping to stay inside our Verizon phones, Sprint hot spot and over the air TV all worked. You can hear the train in a distance and a little traffic. It is a great spot and we will come here again.

The water was excellent

This was my inaugural trip with my Roof Top Tent from Tepui.

A quick trip around the camp site and my son and I picked out spot 72 and after paying for the spot it only took a few tries to get the tent level.

Our neighbors were friendly and the white noise from the water helped hide the proximity of our fellow campers.

One of the locals stopped by to comment on my tent and said the salmon were biting - he even gave me a lure (Where am I and who are these friendly folks!?) that he caught a fish on earlier that day. My kid loved that.

He also warned of the chipmunks on the other end of the camp and how persistent they can be if you leave food anywhere they can get to.

The spot we stayed at would have been sweet for ground camping as well. Will be coming here again.

Oh, and the cell reception (AT&T) was good enough to tether and get some work done.

Views of All Kinds, Massive Quietude

Only four sites here - get in early or on a weeknight. Gorgeous drive through the town of Hood River a big bonus. Once you get in, you’ve got hikes right there with great views of Mt. Hood, the small, charming and swimmable Rainy Lake 2 minutes by walking, and just tons of shade and peace. Even though 3 sites are scrunched together, we didn’t hear our neighbors. A fabulous place to get away.

Superb camp with awesome amenities

We were so glad we found this campsite, it looks really nice, located by the nice Trucker river, there are sites right next to the river too.

For the price you get showers, drinking water, normal toilets and a clean environment. You can pay with card too using their vending machine which was also super convenient.

Overall one of the best camps we stayed in yet

A gem in the Columbia River Gorge

Stumbled upon this place a few summers ago and have returned many times since. This is a perfect spot to post up for a few days with a book. It’s very quiet and the hosts are great! Super friendly and never any issues getting fire wood. Family/four-legged friendly.

Pretty big campground with 80+ sites. I usually try and snag oak site b/c it’s big and really private. Neighboring sites are also wonderful.

It’s first come first serve so I would get there early, especially in the heat of the summer. Open May-November I believe. Bring cash for payment.

Picnic tables, big fire pits with a little spot to cook if you don’t have a stove. RV hookups, water, garbage dump. Should have everything you need.

It’s close to Lost Lake if you’re looking for a day trip. Less than 20 minutes to downtown Hood River. About an hour or so from Portland.

If you like beer, check out Pfriem on your way out.

Great place to exhale.

Nice campground. I went mid-week in Sept. Only gave 4 stars because of the toilets. Highly recommend yellow jacket traps this late in summer. Aggressive is an understatement.

Decent but not a destination

First off, if you have an RV and can avoid taking the Hood River Bridge, that is highly advisable. With two 9’ lanes, it’s a nightmare to get across. Having said that, the park is a nicely maintained small park with really nice facilities. It really has no view of the nearby river and is very close to an active railroad track. Yeah. I should have done my homework. The wife was not happy. But let me stress… the facilities are nice, clean, and it’s a good stop over. If you are in town, head down the road to Dickys Fruit Stand/Store and get herself a pie. Oh my my!

One down side

Campgrounds: Some were very apparent that it was smaller than other sites, but I loved that each site came with picnic table. Also some camp sites did not accommodate for multiple tents because uneven grounds and tree stumps, so bringing a air mattress or a mat would be helpful.

Amenities: Bathrooms are actually flushing water visible ones. Showers are available at a cost. It’s not bad at all, easy to use. Well maintained.

Park: Even though it’s a short distance - Drive there, as long as you have camp site parking pass, you should be fine. The river was shallow and dropped to the deep end. It was ideal for children becaus the shallow end stretched a bit and the deeper end was the other side .

One down side to the whole experience: Freeway is really really close to the whole camp site. You can hear vehicles at night. If you’re a light sleeper or need nature noises when camping - this is not the site for you. Other than that , i had a good time and felt a lot of what the camp site had to offer was great!

On the flip side, If you messed up and forgot something, wal mart or convenient store was nearby.

Greats location

4 camp sites surrounding a small lake. 1 and 2 are private While 3 and 4 are right next to each other. Campsite 2 is on the way to 3 and 4 so not to private.

The camp is a close walk to many trails and other sites.

The best campsites are those that are not crowded and you can enjoy the stillness during the day or night. This camp had just that no one around.!

Simple but great

This campground was a pretty standard off the grid type place. Pretty small and you have to walk to get to the sites.  Not really anything around except for great hiking and amazing views. Sites were big enough and super secluded, just like I like it.

There’s fishing at the lake and some great views of mount hood. I would check out the Laurence lake high ridge hike if you want the best views.

Standard campground close to city

Nothing really special about this place, other than the river. Standard campground that's always crowded because it's close to the city. Lucia falls is close, but not as impressive as those further up the river.

Large and busy but clean.

Nice, clean park. Very large and busy but has nice ameneties.

Awesome Campground!

A super clean in the trees. Great level rv spots. Cute little store that delivers your firewood to your site for you!

Ranger Review: Liquid I.V. at L.L. “Stubb” Stewart

Campground Review: Something for everyone!

Top reasons I love this campground:

• So easy to get to from anywhere in northwestern Oregon; especially the Portland area
  • Open year-round
  • 18-hole disc golf course
  • Great hiking and biking trails
  • Full hook-ups, cabins, equestrian sites, and walk-in tent sites

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, occasionally I get to test products. At this campground, I tested Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier and the Liquid I.V. Sleep night time drink mix. I really liked both products. They are portable, have natural ingredients, taste good and I found them to be effective! Additionally, Liquid I.V. has an incredible social justice cause donating millions of their products to people around the world who are in need of proper hydration. I love that this is a company AND products I feel good about!

Pros:

• Portable
  • Natural ingredients (vitamins, electrolytes, potassium, sodium, glucose)
  • Rapid absorption
  • IT WORKS!!
  • Amazing cause

Cons:

• It’s pricey
  • I wish the Sleep night time drink mix came in another flavor without lavender
  • Contains more sugar than I would like

Overall, I give the product 4.5 stars

Beautiful campground and area

I really loved this campground! The Columbia River Gorge is a crazy awesome area with a ton to do. The campground had plenty of amenities like showers, hiking trails, a playground, and clean bathrooms. There was also firewood for sale and hook ups for RVs. The sites were all pretty nice, flat, and it wasn't overly crowded. We did go kind of early in the summer, so this might be why there wasn't as many people.

The best part of this trip was that there's a whole bunch of stuff to do in the area. The gorge has wind surfing, kite boarding, white water rafting. The town itself had some pretty cute shopping areas. If you want some scenery that's super easy to get to, check out Multnomah Falls.  By far the best part of this stop was when we went white water rafting. I would definitely recommend checking out the Wet Planet rafting company on the white salmon river. You have to cross back into Washington to get to it, but it was well worth it. Amazing experience!

Awesome area

My family and I stayed here when we were visiting the mount Hood area. This was a great little campground with lots of trees and not too many people. There were a ton of amenities at this campground, like wifi, bike rentals, a play ground for the kids. We didn't spend a ton of time here, because we were always out hiking and exploring, but the time we spent was super nice and relaxing. There was a pool and lots of activities set up by the camp.

So many great hikes in the area too. Definitely check out Tom, Dick, and Harry Trail. It had great views of the mountain. There's also a ton of great waterfall hikes in the area, like Ramona falls and Tamanawas Falls.

We had a great time at the campground and in the area in general. Hood mountain was a beautiful place!

Lovely spot for tent camping

My husband and I took our first camping trip together here this summer. We had a great time. We brought our labrador with us and she enjoyed it as well. It was very quiet and a lovely setting. The camp host has firewood available for purchase as well. The hike to the falls was very short, on a well kept paved path. We will definitely be back.

Noisy rest area with camping

Well, that was an adventure. The campground(site A39) is more like an overnight rest stop. It sits on the site of the old Viento railroad station with the railroad on one side and the highway on the other. That configuration works well for loading and unloading of trains but not so good for the city dweller who's trying to get away for a few days.

The site was level and nice enough, but it sits approximately 25 feet from Interstate 84 where the sustained decibel level is 71db. That's not enough to cause permanent damage but it will prevent normal conversation. More like a constant running vacuum cleaner.

The amenities on site were fine but the weekend we were there, there was a problem with both the water pressure and drainage in the bathrooms. The showers didn’t seem to experience the same issues.

The water was beautiful and a short walk from the camp to the day use on the river. We also explored the backwater referred to as Viento Lake. It's more of a stagnant pond but a nice walk none the less. We had some difficulty finding the improved path due to the only entrances being through occupied campsites(and those are unmarked). I think 17 and 39?

On Saturday we took the 11-minute drive into Hood River and the Western Antique Aero/Auto Museum (WAAAM). They have the largest collection of still operating antique airplanes in the US. I highly recommend visiting them on a Second Saturday when they select some cars and planes for'exercising'.

On Sunday by midday, we packed up, leaving Viento State Park knowing that we would likely never visit again.

Small, peaceful campground near Hood River

Really enjoyed the peaceful feeling of this campground. It is tiny - only 4 spots. Sites 1-3 are on the right side as you pull up and 4 is on the left. We stayed in 3, which was great, but I think 4 is the most private of the sites. The only slight issue with 4 is that the outhouse is on the edge of the site which means a bit of traffic (not too much since it's such a tiny campground) and being nearer the outhouse, which I'm not a big fan of.  2 is the least private site because it's in  between 1 and 3. Site 1 was a little more blocked by 2 and 3 by a large log.  3 was a good site with enough level ground for 2 tents. Behind sites 2 and 3 is the trailhead that will take you up to Rainy Like  - less than a 10 minute walk to the lake. The lake is beautiful, small and remote feeling. You can hike beyond the lake which was very pretty but I preferred the hike going the other way toward Wahtum Lake. We hiked for about 3 hours (didn't make it all to Wahtum Lake because it would have been a 10 mile hike which we weren't up for.) The hike was gorgeous with beautiful views of Mt. Hood.

The campground doesn't take reservations.

The road getting up to Rainy Lake wasn't the greatest (but totally fine with a Subaru) so you have to drive a bit slow and look for potholes.

Loved this campground and can't wait to go again!

A good base for doing a float

We like to come here each year to camp and do a float down the Clackamas river. The campsites are nice, although it feels a bit more like camping in a park rather than in the woods - we've often had to deal with loud families or rowdy groups nearby.

Ok camping

Tent sites are on top of each other and no privacy my site did not have any shade. They are all right next to the road. The docks were nice to fish off of.

Excellent time and location.

This place is friendly and in a great location. There are some cabins available and family activities.