Amelia Court House, VIRGINIA
Camping Virginia Amelia Court House
Most Recent Amelia Court House Camping Reviews
Nice quiet camping

The sites were close together but a few sites are worth it right on the water. It had a good weekend program for the family. The beach personnel were great and helpful. Lots of bugs. Even with bug spray. Fishing was not bad. Caught my first ever catfish.

Having fun in the blazing sun

I was never bored when im Powhatan I always had something todo and had fun doing it,the staff are super nice and helpful there walking trails are phenomenal but you can get turned around like I did and have to walk back to my camp walking by the road. I was going to give it a four star because the A couple of standard electric sites mainly sites 4-7 are all in the sun for all day. With any problem I have though with things like that I always make them for me as best I can. Super amazing park.

When you wanna get away but not to far.

I gotta say every time I go camping fishing or kayaking Pocahontas for me takes the cake it’s close to home so the drive isn’t long and the drive in is really nice the staff have all been super helpful and nice I only give this a four star because I will day there are a very small handful of sites that need some work but for me I always make things work.

Thoroughly Enjoyed Staying at James River State Park!

After visiting the park many times, we finally camped there in July 2019.  Most of the sites were huge and level, and we were able to choose a mostly-shaded site with water and electric near the bathhouse.

Everyone we met (rangers, people in the visitor's center, etc.) was very helpful and friendly.

We hoped to go tubing, but since the river was running high and fast, they weren't renting tubes, and we asked too late about renting a canoe or kayak.  (They do drop offs and pick ups at certain times and reservations are recommended.)

Cell service is extremely limited, but there's wi-fi available at the visitors center and we used that to check in with our pet sitter.

It was SO HOT when we were there and we really wished there was a designated "beach" area on the river (or in a perfect world, a pool).  Swimming is not advised due to rocks and drop-offs, but people were in the river, anyhow.

We'll definitely go again!

More pictures and information about our experience is on my blog:

Very nice campground - out in the woods but close to everything

We stayed here during The Heatwave of July 2019 (ugh) when the "feels like" temperature was up to 111 degrees.  Because of that, we had to limit our outdoor time, but we still enjoyed our stay.

Our site was reasonably level once we backed in all the way, shaded, and close to the bathhouse.  (Sites in the first loop have more shade than those in the second loop.)

We enjoyed touring the (air conditioned) nature center and CCC museum in the park, and the pool was wonderful!

Really hope we can visit again to take advantage of the trails, kayaking, and everything else this beautiful state park offers!

More pictures and info about our stay is on my blog:

Relaxing camp

Pocahontas camping is easy and close to home

Great RV Resort

We picked Americamps because we were traveling through the Richmond area and it was very convenient to I-95. We usually pass up on RV parks because most are wide open fields with large trailers and/or motor homes parked close together and prefer more private camp spots in out teardrop. But upon our arrival we were happily surprised. Amricamps has mostly full hook up sites (about 2/3 pull through sites and a 1/3 back in) and a small tent area with a handful of sites. While the sites were close together in typical RV park style, they were not scrapping together like we’ve seen at some places and there were many well established trees to provide lots of share instead of being in an open field. All the sites were level, most were gravel, but some were concrete pads. All style sites include a picnic table and fire ring. Hook ups also included cable with about 70 channels.

Check-in was easy and the staff was very helpful. Check-in is at noon, but our road trip got us there about 11:20 and the staff had no problem letting us in early. Thanks! A host guides you to your site and assist you in positioning if needed. The campground is gated and you are provided a gate code. We stayed on site D-08 on this visit. The site was level, gravel, and had good shade.

We used the bathhouse in the main building as it was closest to our site. It was very clean and air-conditioned, which was nice on this warm summer stay. There is a second bathhouse on the property but we did not visit it.

Firewood and a good-sized camp store was available at the office. The resort has many amenities to include a heated pool, fitness center, playground, dog park, laundry, a rally room with a large deck and gas grill, dump station, and propane filling station.

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did have wi-fi and it worked good at our site.

Pro Tip: There is a FREE breakfast every morning in the rally room. The morning we were there they were making waffles, and had bagels, pastries, fruit, and a variety of drinks to include coffee. They also had an ice cream social in the rally room the first night we were there, so watch the bulletin board for cool events like that. Additionally, right across the street (a short walk depending on where your site is in the park) there is a brewery that also serves food.

While we were hesitant to stay at a RV park, we found this place to a pleasant surprise. Very quiet and clean for its size. We’ll definitely keep this one on the list when passing through Richmond.

Clean well maintained

Sites are spaced well and still very close to everything. Very bike friendly and lots of trails. Large playground and a good boat launch for tubes and kayaks.

Fun spot for the kids

They have a lot of activities, such as pool, fishing pond and trails. The site was clean and everything worked great! Only reason for the 4 was spacing was pretty close between sites and felt nickel and dimed with the charge for fishing and pool chairs

Great for a stay while visiting the park

Great place to stay. Level sites clean restrooms. Pool was amazing. Free tram to the park.

Fun for kids

Nice park. Kids friendly with lots of things for kids to do

Off the Beaten Path

Glamping in rural VA, I did not expect to find an uncrowded state park over the July 4th weekend. The trails were marked once you got on one, not all were visible as trails. With that being said my pup and I took several paths not walked often without another soul or human sound. I did walk past a ranger and friendly. I do believe we walked over 3 miles with navigating around. Parking for day use is not posted, or I didn’t see it. I parked at a spot by the entrance to the cabins. It was so pretty and peaceful.

Lots of great outdoor activities

Pocahontas State Park has really nice campsites that are well kept and decently spaced apart. We visited on a weekday and had all the trails to ourselves, which was wonderful. Trails were clearly marked and easy to navigate. If you like canoeing or kayaking you can do so in Swift Creek.

If you venture outside the park, you are in the Richmond, VA area with many places to eat and shop.

So much fun!

Pocahontas is one of the funner State Park campgrounds we've been to. The campsites are great, nice and flat, with a fire ring and picnic table. There are a lot of RV's here, which is a negative for us. Our site was not very private, but it did have electricity and was close to the bathrooms. Not a ton of bugs, great weather. The best part is if you are camping here you get free entry to the Water Park! Which is super fun, the kids love it. There's a splash pad and a water slide and a couple regular pools. It wasn't too busy in the middle of June. Also great hiking here! Love the location is close to Richmond, so there is fun things to do there as well.

Decent but cramped and loud

The lake was beautiful and the price was nice however it's RIGHT beside the race track and the races go on till midnight. The sites are very close together and uneven. It would be a nice quick stop place on the way to a nicer camp but I don't recommend making this place the getaway campsite.

I love the James river state park

What a beautiful campground this was . it was wonderful to walk around and they have a fully stocked store. The campsites are clean and well kept and the people are friendly. We will go back to James River sometime

This was more like a trailer park!

Not very clean. A race car track behind it with loud motors racing.

Fun times

Nice campground. Short walk to the beach. Awesome staff. Awesome kids and learning program for the weekend. Really loved the lights in the water at night and nighttime walk.

Beautiful park!

Bear Creek Lake is a bit off the beaten path which was one of the things I really loved about it. My kids and I camped in a tent on the Chestnut Loop, which was well shaded by trees and the bathrooms were incredibly clean. The sites are a little close to each other for my taste, but everything else was so nice I didn't let it bother me.

The lake itself is smallish, but the scenery is beautiful. We rented kayaks and the staff were all very nice and helpful. There is a small beach area for swimming, but I'm not a fan of swimming in lakes myself so I skipped visiting that area. Instead we hiked the very scenic trails around the lake, which are well marked for the most part.

In all, this was a very nice park to visit for camping, hiking and kayaking. I imagine I'll be returning again in the future.

Wide open spaces

Beautiful campground , lots to do but very very long walk to the lake it's best to drive your car from your site to the lake.

Awesome campground!

It's a beautiful campground! It's spacious and the view is amazing no matter where you are. I recommend this place it's a family favorite for me!

Small. Basic. Not super up to date.

It's a campground if you arent looking for big views or to get away from it all, it's a bit noisy. The bathrooms were not very tidy and at any point seemed like there was debris or water laying around every time I went in. The picnic area is basically bare earth with little attention paid to basic things like erosion, with gullies running all over. The staff seemed flustered whenever I asked a question (when are programs, is there a list?) and seemed to spend a lot of time doing…nothing. The programs themselves were a little limited and the rangers we saw seemed distracted and didnt seem that kid oriented, which I thought was strange.

Nice trailers, nice park.

FAMILY FRIENDLY

This is a great place for families with children, young and old! Kid friendly biking around the park. Also saw many with electric scooters and golf carts. Large playground and pool, all very clean and well kept. From what I observed, the sites were all pretty level. Close to the Interstate so made it great for a one night stay.

Crystal Clear Oasis

I've been to JRSP several times now and each visit gets better.  Camping on the River edge is very peaceful and convenient if you just want to drop your own tube in and float.  This site isn't very wooded and therefore not much visual privacy but there is lots of space to spread out.  The sites are generously sized and flat.  A few negatives:

1. There is a bit of a walk from your vehicle but it's not bad.

2. The bathroom is just a potty with hand sanitizer, no running water.

I also stayed in a 2 bdr cabin on a return trip which was very nice.  I was impressed with the accommodations and the A/C which was enjoyed on our hot August nights.  The best part of both trips was the River.  Absolutely clean, crystal clear water and never crowded.  Both of my trips were during the summer and over a weekend and we seldom came across others.  It was if we had the whole park to ourselves.  I'm going back again this summer.  My boys are excited to rent the kayaks again.  This is a great experience for couples and families.

Favorite campground! Large, clean, lots of amenities!

So much to say! We’ve loved our trips to Pocahontas, even in the cold months of December and March. For one, the bathrooms/showers are nice and toasty (and super clean). I was there in December for a camping and mountain biking trip with Scouts. The group site we were at was very spacious and private. There were a few RV/tent sites nearby but not very close. We felt quite secluded but it wasn’t too far to walk to the bathrooms. The bike trails were epic fun! Some areas were more challenging than others, likely because there had been a lot of rain and wet leaves on steep bike trails can be tough to avoid slipping/sliding. But we made the best of it. I returned a few months later for a NOLS Wilderness First Aid course that was held in a large dining hall on the park’s property. It couldn’t have been more perfect! We camped there and drove to the dining hall each day for class. It was very well-organized! I have fond memories of this park and look forward to returning during other times of the year for more fun things to participate in!

A favorite! Many trails, playgrounds, picnicking, camping and more!

I was recently at Powhatan with a large group of Scouts. We spread across 3-4 tent/RV sites that we used as a basecamp while we hiked during the day. It was gorgeous! The trails were well-marked and a good place for a shakedown. We crossed some water sources and hiked along the James River. We even passed a nice playground and picnic area where we stopped for lunch. Everything was really nice, one of the nicest and cleanest parks I’ve been to recently. The campgrounds were well-maintained with lots of facilities. I especially liked how spacious the sites were. I didn’t feel like we were on top of our neighbors. I definitely want to come back here again!

Very well run campground.

Well laid out sites, clean restrooms and showers.

Last stop before Massachusetts

Beautiful and clean state park! Firewood was on the honor system, so always be honest! Located close to the beautiful town of Chesterfield, which had a huge grocery store, which allowed us to pick up some fresh items for the fire. Already plan on revisiting this park some day.