Amelia Court House, VIRGINIA

Camping Virginia Amelia Court House
Most Recent Amelia Court House Camping Reviews
Nice and quiet.

Nice location. Next to King’s Dominion.

Great location

Just recently stayed here during a weekend getaway to Kings Dominion. Nice and peaceful campground from what I could tell. Did not go through entire park during this stay. Clean grounds and nice shower houses. Friendly staff in the check in center. One convenient option that comes with staying is they have a shuttle service to the amusement park that runs by roughly every 25-30 mins. They even run until 12-1 in the morning for those who plan to do the Haunt the park has during the Fall/Halloween season. Not close to a lot of restaurants but within 10 miles of a nice selection of stores/restaurants

Cabins are nice, tent camping not so much

We’ve been here twice. Once for our anniversary and we stayed in one of the cabins with our dog, and once tent camping. The cabin was reasonably priced and comfortable. They are all grouped together and could be fun for a family reunion or some larger gathering with friends. The tent camping experience was with our kids, and it was a little hard to keep them entertained. The hiking trails were a short distraction, but not long or difficult enough to wear them out.

Great quiet place

Stayed here for a weekend. Excellent bathhouse! Nice size sites with lots of shade. Not much for kids to do once the pool closes, but still a nice place to stay.

Overnight

We came here because it’s about an hour-and-a-half from home, perfect for an overnight. The photo on the website of our particular site was very deceptive. It looked way more secluded and wooded than it actually was, but it was decent.

Acorn Loop has lake-front sites that I would highly recommend. Sites 4-12 are the best, with #11 being the best best: it’s right on the water but also kind of tucked away a bit. #13 is smack in the middle of the loop, I personally wouldn’t want that site. The sites at the top of the hill, A1, A2, A3, and A15 are right on the road, but there wasn’t much traffic in this particular loop, so it didn’t bother us. A1, A2, and A3 will have people walking by a lot for the bathhouses. I don’t think every loop has one.

The lake itself is very pretty, 40 acres and manmade. We brought innertubes and just floated but we saw people fishing, kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddle boarding, and paddle boating. There were lots of people fishing, and someone got a catfish and kept it for dinner. 🎣

We drove around and checked out the cabin sites. These cabins are HUGE and really beautiful. They look like they could accommodate over 12 people. There’s also a meeting space/hall that you can book…. would be a great place for reunions, receptions, etc.

Primus CampFire Pot S/S 3L

Last month I received a $50 gift card to Primus Stoves (thanks to Dyrt!) and I got myself this pretty little pot. It’s the 3L stainless steel pot/colander and is a perfect addition to my camping bag 🥣 The handle locks in place which is awesome, especially when you are stashing leftovers in the cooler. It’s also designed to be suspended if needed.

Tonight we made a one-pot meal: spicy chorizo from Pink House Farm, rice and onions, and seasonal veggies (okra, pattypan squash, tomatoes, green peppers) from Phantom Hill Farm.

Fishing right next to your tent

Camping along the river at the Canoe Landing Campground is great in the slower seasons. The sites are pretty close together so I’m sure it would be much more cramped when it’s busy but it’s a beautiful place. And you can fish right off the bank less than 50yards from your tent.

Fishing right next to your tent

Camping along the river is great in the slower seasons. The sites are pretty close together so I’m sure it would be much more cramped when it’s busy but it’s a beautiful place. And you can fish right off the bank less than 50yards from your tent.

One night, more to explore

Would totally go back. We camped one night after picking up a new camper. Great looking water park for kiddos.

Sites were not level which we weren’t completely prepared for. We made do.

Parents camp there often and love it.

Clean and very helpful

We used this campground to do our shakedown with our new travel trailer. We let them know we were newbies and they were most accommodating! A staff member lead us to our site and stayed to help us set up and was most knowledgeable. Was able to answer many questions we had and made sure we set up and got all connected correctly. Swimming pool was awesome with lites and fountains. Free waffle breakfast every morning. Level sites. And clean, very clean. The only negative comments would be it’s right up against interstate 95 so it’s a constant drone of traffic. And the sites are one right after the other. No real privacy. However, there is not much in the way of camping here in the Richmond area so we appreciated its location and the fabulous friendly staff!

A short stay campground

We needed a place just for the night so it worked out, but I wouldn't choose to stay for any length of time. Thats partly because we like campgrounds that are more woodsy and don't have cement slab sites. It was very clean, with plenty of available trash barrels and very clean bathrooms. There was a train somewhere nearby which will wake up a light sleeper. We were surprised that the pool was 1/2 empty and had dirty water. They did have shuttle service to the nearby amusement park.

A short stay campground

Beautiful Central VA Park

I’ve never camped here, but I took a group of elementary school kids here several years ago on their first canoeing trip and really enjoyed this park, which is a really good day trip option for anyone living in Central VA.

Beautiful Bear Creek Lake!

We had a fun camping trip at Bear Creek Lake! We chose a reservable waterview site (#18) and I'm glad we got the one we did! It is not directly on the water, there is a fence around the site and then a short walk to the water. I'm glad we had the beautiful view of the lake while camping, but didn't have to stress about the kids getting in the water the whole time. Note that there is a hiking trail and fishing spot right behind the fence, so people were walking by all the time, but it wasn't too disruptive. The bathrooms are about a 2 minute walk from the site. There is a shortcut through the woods across the street.

There is a great swimming area with a little kids area that was so fun! We did a hike around the whole lake, lots of great views. Looks like it would be awesome for fishing as well!

Just worth a mention that my kids came back with poison ivy everywhere, so watch out for that!

Great for families

They do an awesome job for 4th of July! Sites are spaced ok, I like a little larger spots. These are typical size for private campgrounds. They have bike trails, fishing pond and swimming pool.

Touristy but neat

So this campground is pretty buildt up and touristy because of all the things to do around it. It’s got a big water park, cabins, trips down the river you can book, things like that. I personally prefer a little more wilderness when I camp, but it’s a pretty nice place.

The allure here for me was all the things to do around it. There’s the natural bridge which is a cool sight to see, there’s a safari that you can go on to see lots of neat animals, some cool hikes like devils marble yard and ceder creek trail. This area is an awesome way to get out and enjoy a weekend.

Quiet and Chill

I love state parks for their amenities and well-maintained sites and this one was no different! The drive is really pretty too (some of the photos are the dirt road coming into the park). I imagine the drive to the park would be very slow for RVs or someone pulling a trailer with boats etc.

Great getaway for the family!

We rented a cabin with fantastic sunset views.  This park has great walking and equine trails, a fantastic visitor center, and a wonderful outdoor park/adventure zone for the kiddos.

August camping trip

Had a great time camping trip from Wed. Thru Sunday . Went to Carter's orchard near Charletville.

Adventure Ready James River

The Red Oak sites were gravel and fairly level and the bathhouse was nice. There is an equestrian camping area (and stalls) for people with horses.  The cabins and lodges have 2, 3, and 6 bedrooms and look beautiful. There is even a canoe-in campground.  Activities that can be done include tubing on the river, canoeing and kayaking, fishing, hiking, biking, horseback riding trails, wagon ride, and lots of park events.

This is a wonderful spot for viewing the stars because of the lack of light pollution. James River State Park has been named an International Dark Sky Park.

Pocohontas Pretty

The sites are gravel, spacious, and private in the newer section of the campground. There is a very nice “water park” type pool for kids (and adults) of all ages. We have enjoyed the hiking and biking trails a lot.  The park has lots of places to go fishing on the water or on shore.  We bring the canoe and kayaks for the lake, but you can rent a wide variety of boats, canoes, kayaks, and paddle boards.

Average

Pretty run of the mill campground, convenient location close to Richmond. Got up early and checked out the fine arts museum and some of the old buildings, theres even a castle hidden in town (now privately owned). Suited my needs just fine, will stop in again if i need a place to stay!

Nice quiet camping

The sites were close together but a few sites are worth it right on the water. It had a good weekend program for the family. The beach personnel were great and helpful. Lots of bugs. Even with bug spray. Fishing was not bad. Caught my first ever catfish.

Having fun in the blazing sun

I was never bored when im Powhatan I always had something todo and had fun doing it,the staff are super nice and helpful there walking trails are phenomenal but you can get turned around like I did and have to walk back to my camp walking by the road. I was going to give it a four star because the A couple of standard electric sites mainly sites 4-7 are all in the sun for all day. With any problem I have though with things like that I always make them for me as best I can. Super amazing park.

When you wanna get away but not to far.

I gotta say every time I go camping fishing or kayaking Pocahontas for me takes the cake it’s close to home so the drive isn’t long and the drive in is really nice the staff have all been super helpful and nice I only give this a four star because I will day there are a very small handful of sites that need some work but for me I always make things work.

Thoroughly Enjoyed Staying at James River State Park!

After visiting the park many times, we finally camped there in July 2019.  Most of the sites were huge and level, and we were able to choose a mostly-shaded site with water and electric near the bathhouse.

Everyone we met (rangers, people in the visitor's center, etc.) was very helpful and friendly.

We hoped to go tubing, but since the river was running high and fast, they weren't renting tubes, and we asked too late about renting a canoe or kayak.  (They do drop offs and pick ups at certain times and reservations are recommended.)

Cell service is extremely limited, but there's wi-fi available at the visitors center and we used that to check in with our pet sitter.

It was SO HOT when we were there and we really wished there was a designated "beach" area on the river (or in a perfect world, a pool).  Swimming is not advised due to rocks and drop-offs, but people were in the river, anyhow.

We'll definitely go again!

More pictures and information about our experience is on my blog:

Very nice campground - out in the woods but close to everything

We stayed here during The Heatwave of July 2019 (ugh) when the "feels like" temperature was up to 111 degrees.  Because of that, we had to limit our outdoor time, but we still enjoyed our stay.

Our site was reasonably level once we backed in all the way, shaded, and close to the bathhouse.  (Sites in the first loop have more shade than those in the second loop.)

We enjoyed touring the (air conditioned) nature center and CCC museum in the park, and the pool was wonderful!

Really hope we can visit again to take advantage of the trails, kayaking, and everything else this beautiful state park offers!

More pictures and info about our stay is on my blog:

Relaxing camp

Pocahontas camping is easy and close to home

Great RV Resort

We picked Americamps because we were traveling through the Richmond area and it was very convenient to I-95. We usually pass up on RV parks because most are wide open fields with large trailers and/or motor homes parked close together and prefer more private camp spots in out teardrop. But upon our arrival we were happily surprised. Amricamps has mostly full hook up sites (about 2/3 pull through sites and a 1/3 back in) and a small tent area with a handful of sites. While the sites were close together in typical RV park style, they were not scrapping together like we’ve seen at some places and there were many well established trees to provide lots of share instead of being in an open field. All the sites were level, most were gravel, but some were concrete pads. All style sites include a picnic table and fire ring. Hook ups also included cable with about 70 channels.

Check-in was easy and the staff was very helpful. Check-in is at noon, but our road trip got us there about 11:20 and the staff had no problem letting us in early. Thanks! A host guides you to your site and assist you in positioning if needed. The campground is gated and you are provided a gate code. We stayed on site D-08 on this visit. The site was level, gravel, and had good shade.

We used the bathhouse in the main building as it was closest to our site. It was very clean and air-conditioned, which was nice on this warm summer stay. There is a second bathhouse on the property but we did not visit it.

Firewood and a good-sized camp store was available at the office. The resort has many amenities to include a heated pool, fitness center, playground, dog park, laundry, a rally room with a large deck and gas grill, dump station, and propane filling station.

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did have wi-fi and it worked good at our site.

Pro Tip: There is a FREE breakfast every morning in the rally room. The morning we were there they were making waffles, and had bagels, pastries, fruit, and a variety of drinks to include coffee. They also had an ice cream social in the rally room the first night we were there, so watch the bulletin board for cool events like that. Additionally, right across the street (a short walk depending on where your site is in the park) there is a brewery that also serves food.

While we were hesitant to stay at a RV park, we found this place to a pleasant surprise. Very quiet and clean for its size. We’ll definitely keep this one on the list when passing through Richmond.

Clean well maintained

Sites are spaced well and still very close to everything. Very bike friendly and lots of trails. Large playground and a good boat launch for tubes and kayaks.