the dyrt
Amelia Court House, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Amelia Court House Camping Reviews
Last stop before Massachusetts

Beautiful and clean state park! Firewood was on the honor system, so always be honest! Located close to the beautiful town of Chesterfield, which had a huge grocery store, which allowed us to pick up some fresh items for the fire. Already plan on revisiting this park some day.

Not Just For RV Campers

The name of this place is a bit deceiving if you find it on one of the many brochures "Americamps RV Resort". I was at first completely discouraged by itself name in fact but went ahead while passing through the area on the way to one of my blog sites to check it out.

Pulling into the location the grounds were very well manicured and looked like a lot of work is regularly being put into the facility. The office was very nice and going inside they were very friendly in telling me a bit about the sites and area. I was then taken on a tour of the park and told a bit more. While they do offer RV sites for both overnight and weekly or monthly stay, they have a constant flow of tent campers, although weekly and monthly rates are not offered for this service.

The tent sites they took me to were padded with lush grass and had very nice picnic tables which looked well maintained. They also had grills which were around waist height. Something which set this tent location apart from others was they have a valet trash service at the park which applies to each site. With this you can place your items out for pick up in the morning and they will do so instead of you having to find a place to discard items.

But the sites were not the only thing that impressed me. The grounds themselves have a fitness facility and pool which are nice, a group gathering area and also a very substantial store. There is a shared grill garden for grilling with a propane grill, a basketball court and dog run area as well. Basically it is a resort without staying in a hotel style room.

Pricing was very fair depending on which amenities you wanted at your site. There were some tent sites with electricity and they were a bit more but base rate for dry camping was $25.

I would definitely return to this site if I was staying here instead of passing though. It is close to so many things and makes a great place for a day or a weekend away. I found it to be only about 10 minutes from the site I was going to and only a short distance from dozens of other exciting things in Richmond.

TIPS:

• If you are wanting to stay make sure to call in advance for this one. It is to nice to pass up on making a smart reservation.
Designed With Family In Mind

This is by no means the biggest campground or the most modern but something which can be said for this campground is it feels like it was designed with family fun in mind. From the bouncing blob to the oversized chess set, from the lakeside beach to the swimming pool, it seems as though plenty of thought has been placed on how to keep a family entertained when in this area of Virginia.

The sites themselves are not just average tent and RV sites. Instead they have various types of cabins which you can rent in addition to these. The tent sites are grouped in the same area and while there are only a handful of them, they are well shaded, nicely spaced and pretty even. The rolling hills of the area do not seem to effect the layout of these spaces.

My site was equipped with a picnic table however I did not have a fire ring or lantern post. They do have some upgraded sites for tents which include these or even have electricity. I enjoyed the location and when I was visiting there were not many people staying in this area.

I do wish I hadn't been traveling alone because it would have been a bit more fun with all the activities had I have had a travel companion. This is one of those places where it pays to have a buddy!!

TIPS:

• If you will be staying on a weekend call in advance to book because of limited tent sites.

• During summertime this place is like one of those dream summer camps with lake toys including blobs and inflatable obstacles. Try to visit during this time of year to fully take advantage.

A Lot of Bang For Your Buck

When I was passing though Richmond I found Pocahontas State Park and decided I liked it so much I had to find out a bit more. There were so many things to do at this park and while there were only around 5 miles of dedicated hiking trails there were nearly 50 miles of bike trails, swimming and paddling on the water, horseback rides and monthly programs.

While I was here I checked out some hiking trails and also the camping which was $35 for a site which included water and electricity in addition to the standard picnic table and fire ring. Sites were nice and wide all built to accommodate tents or RVs.

There are two loops for camping. I stayed in the first loop in site 59 which was pretty close to the bathrooms but still fully secluded by the tall trees around me. I found this site to be absolutely perfect for my needs and I was able to set up right off the pull in on a nice flat section of ground. I was shaded from the harsh sun of midday by the trees around me but it did make it a bit less bright for waking up the next morning.

Another nice feature of my campsite was it was close to the firewood station and the camp host. I enjoyed socializing with the host and them telling me a bit more about the things to do in the area as well as at other state parks for which they had worked. Such a great host!!

TIPS:

• Check in at this campground is not until 4 p.m. so if you arrive before this you are not guaranteed to be able to get your site.

• Enjoy free boat launch or swimming here if you are camping. If you are not there is a day use fee for using this amenities at the park.

A Bit To Pricey For Tent Camping

If you are in an RV this place makes sense completely with a standard rate of $44 for a basic water and electric site or $46 to add sewer. But if you are a tent camper like myself the price point of $44 is a bit to much just to lay my head on the ground with a few amenities. There are far more locations in the area at a much more reasonable rate for tents.

With that being said, this campground is quaint and nice. With a catch and release pond, a nice pool, a rec center and an additional catfish pond there are plenty of activities to keep you busy. Not to mention, this place looks like a story book location early in the morning with the rolling of the fog across the hills.

I did notice a few other negatives however at this camp. There are two bathhouses but they are kind of small considering the volume of people which stay here. I would recommend showering during somewhat off hours to avoid the influx of people. Also the WIFI here was a bit weak if you were not near the office.

All in all this place is nice I will say and should I travel back through this area in an RV it would be worth the price point in going back. As I was in a tent however I feel it was a bit much to give it a higher rating.

Peaceful and well-maintained campsites, just a short drive from the city

Powhatan State Park is a relatively new addition to the VA State Parks system; the park itself has only been open since 2003. The primitive, canoe-in campground opened with the park, and the loop with electric and water hookups opened in 2016.

Canoe-In Campground:

When we stayed, we stayed in the canoe-in campground, although we hiked in the approximate 1/4 mile from the parking lot, rather than coming in by boat. This is a quiet, beautiful loop, with 8 sites, each with a picnic table and fire ring. There are composting toilets here and no potable water, so you will need to bring enough water for your trip or purification methods. Proper food storage is also essential back here; while this section of Virginia does not have the bear activity you’d find in the mountains, there are still raccoons and other wildlife who should not have access to human food. There are no bear boxes, so treat food storage as you would in the backcountry.

-Sites 7 and 8 are closes to the toilets, and back up to the woods leading towards the Turkey Trail; hikers are visible from site 8 and audible from site 7.

-Sites 4 and 5 back up to a very wooded area, and are further back from the gravel loop. Site 4 is closest to the boat ramp and is visible; site 5 is probably the most private in the loop.

-Sites 1,2, and 6 are in the center loop, but have more space between them than inner-loop sites usually have. Sites 1 and 2 are right against the River Trail however, so will have hikers walking directly past during the day.

The canoe-in loop sits against the James River; there is a rack to stow your canoe/kayak overnight, and a pay by honor-system pile of firewood. Due to the thick foliage there is no actual river-view during the warmer months, but it’s easily accessbile. When we stayed in early spring there were a lot of vines that served as “natural playground” for our kids; they used them as swings, monkey bars, and enjoyed getting their feet wet at the base of the canoe ramp, so much that they declined hiking or driving to the park’s man-made playground. This loop makes a great “trial run” site for anyone considering a future backcountry trip; the walk to the parking lot is short enough to make multiple trips if you need to, and you still have access to the park amenities if you don’t mind a walk/drive to get there.

River Bend Loop

The River Bend Loop has 29 sites with water and electric hook-ups, though very little privacy between sites. The surrounding trees give all but the first three sites decent shade and a wooded atmosphere, and this is a great loop for RVs or tent campers who enjoy being close to other sites. If you are looking for a feeling of isolation however, you would be better off minimizing your gear and walking to the primitive sites, or going to a different park altogether. The bathrooms here have electricity, flush toilets, and showers with hot water. Sites 1-14 are available for advance reservation, and sites 15-29 are first-come first-served. Site 25 offers the most privacy for tent campers, and it’s very large, but if the campground is at full occupancy all sites are going to have a crowded feel.

There are several hiking trails at this park ranging from very easy to moderate, and a couple of them are horse-friendly; our kids enjoy seeing horses on the trail with them, but be mindful if you have kids/dogs who may be afraid of the horses. The park also has a playground, picnic shelters, and ranger activities on the weekends, and there are three yurts available to book.

This is a very open, well-maintained park, and the camping options should appeal to a wide spectrum of campers, and my only reason for giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the lack of privacy in the drive-up campsites. It feels a lot like a hidden gem; the hookup campground fills up during warmer weather, but all of our visits here have been very quiet and peaceful. If you are looking for camping options near Richmond, I highly recommend this park!

its ok

Honesty this campground is nothing to write home about. The sites are ok, but not that nice. There is a little pond nearby that you can swim in, but if you're camping in this town, you might as well camp near lake anna instead. Christopher Run Campground or Lake Anna State Park would be a much better choice.

It was nice enough, just not really my favorite place to go. The amenities aren't lacking though. There is a pool, the little pond, mini golf, and hiking trails, so you can definitely find something fun to do!

cool places close to Richmond

Pocahontas State Park is a pretty nice place. My family always used to go here whenever we needed to stay near Richmond, because its only about a 20 minute drive.

The campground has a lot of amenities, including a few lakes where you can fish, a nice pool with water slides, lots of trails, picnic tables, and some nice camp sites. There's also cabins available to rent out if you don't feel like roughing it.

Richmond is an awesome place to explore too. If you've never been, I definitely recommend it. For those of you who are rock climbers, Manchester Wall is an awesome place to check out. It's an old train bridge support wall that has been converted into a bunch of cool climbing routes. Great for beginner climbers too. There's also the river right nearby, which is great for floating and mountain biking trails too.

Cool campground in a great area!

Not too bad

I gave this campground a 3 out of 5, mostly because it wasn't very memorable. I had a good time there with my family, but there wasn't anything that really stood out to me.

Also, I really love to hike and get out into nature when I camp. Powhatan, Virginia isn't the best place for that compared to all of the amazing wilderness you can find in other parts of Virginia.

The sites were a little close together for my liking, but they were still very nice.

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Great KOA!!!

We stayed in October! The sites were large and level. Easy on and off to I-95 N/S. Staff was great! This was our first KOA where they didn't "guide" us to our site. No worries… we made it :) Great for an overnight (if you want hookups)

Nice campground for visiting Kings Dominion

Bus shuttle service to Kings Dominion. Clean and well kept.

Family camping, very wooded and pretty.

This is the largest state campground in VA. It is very pretty and clean. Nice facilities modern but not new, clean. Lots of tents and good level tent areas at each camp site. You have a little bit of room and the sites are tucked back in the trees. It was a quite night, I slept right through. North Star Truck Camper GMC 2500HD. One more in my quest for 1state park in every state, 4/50!

Something for everyone!

Jrsp has activities and camping to accommodate everyone. Primitive camping loop, r.v.. loop, equestrian loop, cabin loop, and riverside camping and group available. Several shelters avail for use also. Several miles of trails in the sprawling park can be used by hikers , bikers, and horseback. Canoe livery rents tubes and kayaks for use. Boat launch and pick up service avail at end of float. No motors. Fishing opportunities include James river and a few ponds. Breathtaking views are plenty in this beauty of a park. Very nice quiet area at night. You can hear and see trains that parallel the river on the other side and can see a river crossing as goes over the tye river where it enters the james from the tye river overlook. Offers an amazing view of area from an elevated platform that can be accessed by hike bike or wagon ride! In any case much to see and do at James river state park!

Lots to do and hiking. Water park area is great.

Great place to hike, ride bikes, walk dogs.!water park looks awesome but didn’t go because I couldn’t leave my dog.

Great place for Mountain Bikers

Close to Richmond. Nice clean facilities and shaded campsites.

Tons to do

Lots of trails, nature center, pool, and creek for kayaking and fishing. You can also rent water equipment while you’re there. Very good for beginners.

Ehhhhh

Small campground where sites are on top of each other. Small rundown playground along with a small pool are easily accessible. The site also comes with limited hiking trails, a pond, and a large field for the kids to run in. It is a good 1st time camp site but we probably won’t go back.

Ughhh the hills!!!

Campsites are secluded and quiet. There are tons of hiking and biking trails as well as a river (the James) for boating/kayaking or tubing). The park contains a playground but very limited paved biking trails. The small amount of roads have hills and they will kick your butt, especially if you’re pulling a kiddo in a bike trailer. Super nice staff!

Our site didn’t have a breeze but had nice shade. Walking distance to showers/bathroom.

Perfect setting

We loved this place! It was a small quiet campground with easy hiking trails, a small lake and some friendly bears poking around in the camp office. The sites were pretty close together. I prefer a more serene camp site with less people so unless we find a secluded spot here we might not return. I do recommend for families and there is a great spot for group camping with about 8 sites in a circle.

Gina

We go here every year and looove it!

Peggy and Richard were our hosts for many years until they retired and passed it down to family - that does just as an amazing job! We did a large breast cancer fundraising weekend every year - with hundreds of us in attendance! WE camped, played live music and went tubing. Peggy always had extra instruments available for loan so everyone could join in the jam sessions and Richard always came by each tent checking on all of us in the evening and hanging with some of us for a bit. They always made whatever special accommodations our group needed and we never ever had an issue! Potties and showers always clean~

Excellent campground

Our favorite little getaway. Level sites with brick paver pads, full hookups, RV storage, playground, pool, store, fire rings, 3 fishing ponds, awesome owners. Mid sized campground.

Very nice state park

Water/electric sites, dump station, small camp store. Nice size sites, walking trails, pool with water slides & water play ground. Lake with paddle boat & canoe rentals. Very reasonably priced.

Had a blast with our camping and hiking group!

My husband and I went here for our anniversary weekend with our camping and hiking group. While some members went biking High Bridge Trail, my hubby and I set out kayaking and loooved it! The staff were beyond fun n friendly - even offered me use of the ranger's personal fishing equipment as I left mine at home! Camping was great and spacious between sites. Beautiful place great people and an all around great time!

Good campground

Nice place, pretty area

great park to hike in

Pocahontas state park is great so far. Hike complete! Fire complete and set up done. Time for shower and bed.

Weekend getaway

This was our first time camping at state park with our dogs and it has been great. We were able to score a campsite with a view of the lake and easy access to the Channel Cat Loop trail. Our tent pad was covered in rubber pieces which made for a comfortable base for our tent, and the separate area with fire pit, picnic table and pattern hooks was awesome. Another couple joined us and there was plenty of room for all four people and three dogs to spread out. Fell even more in love when majority of campsites left on Sunday, leaving peace and quiet all around. Bonus is having the dog only section at the swimming beach, which made for a fun afternoon with our pups.

We had a great time here

Asusual, the state parks are the way to go

It's perfect for groups who like water

I've been here a few times. It never disappointed us!

It's a newer park, so it's still evolving

Not a big place, well it is in size but not the campground.

It's very family friendly

One of my favorite

Thesites are spacious and shaded. Great pool and canoe trails.