Bethel, VERMONT
Most Recent Bethel Camping Reviews
Gasoline generators from morning to night

Saw Hapgood Pond was well reviewed so just went for 2 nights. The site across the way ran a generator midday for3 hours each day. One site down and across a large RV ran their generator from 7 to 10 am or so and again from 4 to 9 pm. These folks never stepped outside their RV. 1 mile trail and day use swimming and boating area. Pit toilets. Showers at day use area at pond. No firewood available. No campground office but host volunteer updates tags on site numbers showing free or reserved.

Gorgeous Lake George

Truly the Queen of the American lakes. Crystal clear you can see the bottom even in deep water. Campground is huge but well kept and quiet considering the amount of sites Sites near Rt 9 can hear road noise They offer moorings for watercraft Fireplace was in bad repair Many bathrooms and several shower houses that are in good repair Site 132. not on water Water pic from day use area Cell service on north end of campground but spotty

Top Notch

We just spent 5 days at this wonderful campground. They have paid attention to all of the finer details. Beautiful landscaping, well leveled sites, very clean and neat. The staff is wonderful. My only disappointment with the camp is that there are only a few sites with sewer hookup. However, the dumping station is conveniently located, so if you have a small tank, daily trips are not a problem. There is plenty to do in the area - Littleton is a beautiful little town. The old houses in are incredible. New Hampshire is not a dog friendly state, but a short Drive into Vermont gets you access to many fine restaurants where you can bring your dog. Be sure to visit Dog Mountain in Vermont- a truly touching memorial to departed pets.

Huge campsites lakeside

I couldn't believe how large the lots were. While they arent super far from one another, they are large enough that they seem further than they are. Nice beautiful wooded area, we were able to put a tent and hang a hammock for sleeping. Price was very reasonable. The bathroom closest to us was having a running water issue, but it wasn't a big deal for us the lean too lots looked nice too if you're looking for coverage. It was a little close to the road, but it isnt a major road so I looked at it like a reasonable alarm clock. The lot was freshly raked and there really wasn't anything we didn't like about the site. Campfire pit had a grill!

“Glamping” at its finest

Came here year after year for the culture and ability to entertain without leaving! On premises hiking trails, pool (with water slide), and arcade. When you don’t feel like driving to a trailhead, or into town to do some shopping, this place is perfect for hanging at the site and letting the kids run off on their own. Sites are generally well wooded, well sized, and a bit close together. Water and electric are available, to complete your glamorous car camping experience. It’s a great place to introduce someone to the idea of camping without making them hike a mile with 40% of their body weight on their back. Haha! No cell reception last time I was there, but they had pay phones! REAL pay phones!

Excellent state camp ground

I only spent 1 night, but I wish I could have stayed longer! Checked in late, at 7:45pm (15 minutes before the cutoff) and found the ranger to be SUPER helpful in regards to picking a walk-on site. The lake is beautiful, my site (#4) had plenty of available tinder as well as trees for my hammock and a fair amount of shade. The sites don’t feel super close to each other, but you can easily see and visit neighbors. Unfortunately my fire was too Smokey for nighttime pics. Hopefully I’ll come back to dyrt in the morning to post some that are honestly useful! :/

First tent camping experience

This was a great place to start our camping adventures. Friendly staff and helpful pointing out places to hike. Site was clean and quiet. Bathrooms were clean and showers were hot. A pleasant treat after hiking.

Beautiful location in VT.

Amazing Hike! Great Campground

This is a short and sweet hike to one of the higher points in Vermont. It is a beautiful scenic (somewhat strenuous) hike to the summit. The views are pretty epic though. The designated primitive camping area is about 1.5 miles into the hike. If I recall it had about 10-12 sites. The area had a host who was there 24/7 and a shared area for eating and food storage (I guess Bear’s are a problem there). We hiked all day, so we didn’t have a fire and to be honest I can’t remember if there was a shared spot for them or not. Either way, this hike was gorgeous and so was the camping. I would love to go back!

Family friendly

Family friendly campground. Short drive to see wildlife from the road.

quiet, large sites

I reviewed this campground last fall after visiting on the final day of the season, but I just had a chance to sty here during a peak summer weekend and have a few additional insights. Fees are now up to $20/night, still a bargain, but it comes with only the most basic amenities, i.e. vault toilets, running water at faucets, picnic tables and fire rings. Although the campground description indicates that the sites are first-come, first-served, this has changed and many of them are available online in advance. I didn't realize this and when i arrived late Friday afternoon I had 5 or 6 campsites to choose from that could accommodate my small teardrop camper; if I were tent camping, I'd have had a couple more sites available to me. The tent only sites require a short walk from the parking area.

When you arrive, each site will be labelled either Reserved or Open.  If it is Reserved, the dates it is reserved will be listed and they may not be contiguous. All the sites filled up Friday night.

I had site 24 which I liked. it was very large and level, with ample space for today's large tents. The water spigot was near the site next door. I could see my neighbors, but they didn't bother me. Every host site always seems to look messy with tarp-covered items and wood piles and site 24 will give you a view of the host site, but it's far enough away that you can ignore it.

If I were in a tent, I'd try for site 22. It's a walk-in site that includes 7-8 steps down, but it opens into a large open area and just a bit beyond there is a small brook, too.

The campground is just a few miles west of I-93 and the town of Woodstock. If you want to hike Mooselauke or the Kinsmans, the Appalachian Trail crosses 112 nearby. Lost River Gorge is nearby as are numerous tourist attractions/activities in Woodstock and Lincoln. Take some time to explore Cascade Park in Woodstock if you want to cool off in the river and lounge on the rocks (park on the street or in the lot that is north of 112 just before the traffic light at Rte 3 in Woodstock). While you're there, pick up ice cream at Coneheads; choose among numerous hard serve ice cream made on site (downstairs) or dozens of soft-serve flavors.

This side of 112 seems quieter than the stretch east of Lincoln. Noise level was quite low. Cell coverage is non-existent for several miles around here; you'll start to get a signal closer to Lost River Gorge in the direction of Woodstock.

Great small park

Only 8 campsites, dispersed in the trees. $23/night. Picnic table and fire pit. Moderate cell service. Nice hikes and cool views of the area!

Small, quiet, private

We recently stayed five nights here and although it wasn’t the best campground for us (lack of sites on the water, which we were aware of), this was a very pleasant experience. The deer flies were horrible everywhere but in our site. The bathrooms were always clean, the showers were always clean and the campground as a whole was ALWAYS CLEAN. We spent a day on the ponds (Putnam & North Pond are connected) and it is beautiful. The water is cool, clean and beautiful. If you are into roughing it, the remote sites are worth a stay, especially the one on the island (I think it’s R5). Running through the campground are several hiking trails and they are worth it. Heart pond and Bear pond were nice, but unspectacular. Rock pond on the other hand was great. Take the yellow trail through the sites to the Rock pond lean-to. Along the pond there are great views and potential swimming locations. Take the red trail around and you will come across the old graphite mine, which was cool to look at it’s remnants. If you bring along a strong flashlight, you may be able to go in the shaft a bit. We did not, due to only having a cell phone for light. You can follow the red trail around Rock pond, where it will connect back to the yellow trail and back to the campground. The red trail is a more challenging way back, but should have spectacular access to parts of Rock pond. There were several other trails as well, but due to the weather I could not hike them.

Overall, this is an excellent campground for hiking and a great, peaceful stay. The ponds are beautiful and if you bring your own boats, you don’t have to pay the $20 rental and can spend your days on the ponds.

Campground staff was friendly and always available. Enjoy your stay!

Nice Area

The new owner is friendly. The location is beautiful. Limited cell service in the area. WiFi at the store only. Camp store is well supplied. Multiple shower/bathhouse/restroom buildings but the one near our site was small and not well lit. Shower stalls could to be longer to allow for dressing after shower. Shower use is $.25 for 5 or 6 minutes, which is fine because the nightly site fees are reasonable. Our site was on the river which was scenic and nice to listen to. River is rocky and shallow, not good for tubing, swimming, etc., we were also very close to the road, which was fine most nights but there was a lot of late Saturday night traffic that was noisy.

Lovely campsite but poor service

Pulled up and the woman at the gatehouse was on the phone with a lady trying to make a reservation. The lady didn't acknowledge ua at all for about 5 mins! We sat there for about 15-20 mins before we were helped. She ended up putting the lady on speakerphone so she could input her information easier. The lady gave her name, address, phone number, and credit card number to her as we sat there and could hear everything! It blew my mind! If I was that lady I would not want to share that info via speakerphone! We got a great campsite though, right on the water. Not very busy there. We rented a canoe for halfday $30 for 4hrs. We ended up returning it early because we paddled the whole lake in about an hour and a half, and we weren't trying to. Thought the boat rental was a bit pricey for the size of the lake/places to explore. We also looked forward to going up to Owl's Head for sunset. We went up during the day and decided it would be beautiful at sunset so we planned to come back. We came back nearly an hour before sunset and found the gate was locked at the bottom of the drive. The signs said it was open until dusk, but apparently someone didn't know what dusk meant. Very disappointed!!! If you want to go to Owl's Head for sunset plan to hike up from the campground because you won't be able to drive up to the parking lot anytime close to sunset.

It was alright

The campground isn’t bad however there’s not much to do in the area unless you want to take a 20-30 minute drive. Campground probably isn’t suitable for kids as they have zero activities. It was a good campground for a quick weekend getaway but not a place I’d want to spend more than a couple days at.

Heaven

This is without a doubt my favorite place to camp. The people are great, the river is as fun as it gets no matter the season and the new owners went out of their way to assure we had a great stay.

Amazing

My family loves this camp ground right on the CT River. It has RV sights and cabins they keep the campers busy with fun activities for kids and grown ups. This is what I would call a Glamping campground then a roughing it campground but it’s still amazing.

Will come again

Place was clean, staff was friendly, pool is amazing (looks like a theme park), store if you forgot anything.

Plots were clean and roomy with trees and shaded.

Had an amazing rock fire-pit.

The only thing is that this place is very large and has lots of plots, so can be rather busy and not very “private”.

But if you like this kind of thing you will have a great time.

Great family campground

Has everything from tents to RVs and beach to pool along with a playground for the younger ones.  Dogs are allowed.  Activities such as candy bingo and wagon rides.  We will be going back again soon

Really nice semi-remote campground

Great tent camping area with good privacy at sites. Would be tough for any but the tiniest RV. No water. Well maintained, and nice access to trails right from the campground.

Secluded and quiet

Remote campsite #9 was a bit wet this spring but in truth everything has been wet here in Vermont this year. 3 night get away with son, and first time on Kettle pond. The gnats were bearable with our head netting and weather was cooperative for us during the day. Site #9 had plenty of places to hang our hammocks, we chose the nearest location to the lean-to. The trail around the pond went around the lean-to but hikers were only noticeable visually. We canoed around to look at other sites and # 10 was without a lean-to but a pretty nice spot at the very end of the pond. The other remote sites were mostly occupied so did not get a great view. The ones at the entrance would be good for group camping.

On the shore of Champlain

Stayed here 1 night in June. Quiet out of the way state park on the shore of Lake Champlain. Rangers were ridiculously nice. Sites were big and grass covered; but without many trees for hammocks. Fire rings and tables at each site. Central bathroom and water supply. Beautiful sunset overlooking the lake.

Beautiful and quiet

Beautiful campground in south central Vermont.  On a lovely emerald green small lake with nice beach. Good for fishing and kayaking.  Well kept. Was very quiet when we visited though I suspect it's much busier in mid summer.  Near Manchester, which has numerous great restaurants and a fabulous bookstore.

Large sites

Large,clean sites. Plenty to do with the kids. They love the ship wreck pool! A bit tough on the noise rules. No internet connectivity!!

River Camping

The campground was nice. The site we had was an open grassy area though we tucked the tent off to the side. On the other side of the roped banking was a beautiful view of the river. The showers were nice and they were free! There is also a beach with great fishing! Highly recommend this campground.

Full service

Primarily for RVs.  Combo of seasonal and transient.  Excellent services.  On ct river w kayaks and canoes.

Best experience at a campground

The staff was amazing and helpful. The sites were racked and free of rocks and sticks. Located off of a river, you couldn't even hear your neighbor.

Great campground

This campground is very local to us. We have stayed here before in the passed and had a great time. They have a great little store and now they have Vermont Maple soft serve ice cream from my understanding. Kids love to play here and mini golf on site makes it even better.

Great family camping!

My family loves this campground last 4th of July week we booked it for this 4th of July week and got out on the seasonal camping wait list. It’s right on the CT river and they have canoes to rent. My friend and I took my son fishing and we landed some nice size fish big enough it scared my 7 year old son and he made me real it in haha. He was amazed and so proud to have hooked it himself. I’ll get pictures and review it again this summer. You won’t regret a stay here I promise.

Beautiful campground

I just took our Cub Scout Pack here and it was amazing. Bring Deet the bugs are thick but the things the kids learned and got to do they were entertained for the weekend. The parents had a blast as well. The fish were bitting all day long for catch and release fishing for our scouts which was perfect because some of the them kids never fished before. It’s a great quite place for camping and just enjoying the wildlife of Vermont!