About South Shore Park - Lake Bastrop
Utility
South Shore Park - Lake Bastrop is located in Texas
9 Reviews of South Shore Park - Lake Bastrop
Lake is nice but the trails are just “meh”

Getting out on the lake is the reason you come to this park, let’s be honest. Decent sized lake to accommodate fishers, kayaks, SUP, and swimmers, all on a busy holiday sucks as Memorial Day.

There is a trail that leads from south shore to north shore, but the one time I tried to hike it, it was closed. And the staff who I talked to about hiking there didn’t tell me it was closed, nor was it marked on their trail maps there were giving out in the checkin office. This really upset me cause the only other trails there are small loops.

There is another LCRA park about 20 minutes away where the staff actually marks on the maps daily what trails, if any, are closed off that day.

Close to home

We enjoy going for the day to this park it has a huge lake for our canoe and lots of room for he kids to run around. Kids under 12 get in free and adults are $5 for the day. There are restrooms with showers throughout the park. We enjoy the fishing off of the many piers they have. The park is nice and quiet and we plan on taking our new rv soon.

Clean Campsite

Nice lake with good access. Clean park

Wow!

We we’re traveling and needed a spot near Austin, Texas and love Lake Bastrop. There’s two Campgrounds one South and one North. The right one for us was South since we didn’t want anything too primitive. Thankfully there is plenty of trees for shade. And the view of Lake Bastrop is phenomenal. We did the lakeshore hike which takes a while since it’s 6 miles. W rented a canoe from the office one day and really enjoyed that.

beautiful

beautiful park and lake, great camping

Ranger Review: Nature's Coffee Kettle at Lake Bastrop South Shore Park

It's HOT in Texas during the summer. During our outing the temperatures reached 105F, but we were having so much fun that it really didn't matter. We decided to spend National Hammock Day near some water and shade at Lake Bastrop South Shore Park.

The campground made a mistake with my reservation, but ended up correcting it and allowing me and my crew to stay for free. Points right there for great customer service!

I think that we had one of the best campsites in the entire park at campsite #37. Campsites #35 and #36 are also excellent sites. All three of these sites are close to the water, near a restroom and steps away from a trailhead. Our campsite had ample room for 6 people with capacity for up to 8 people. With temperatures reaching 105F+ we were thankful that the site was surrounded by trees for shade. Not only were there an abundance of trees for shade, but there were enough trees for all of us to set up our hammocks. On a hot day, nothing beats hanging out in a hammock while a breeze flows around you. During the hottest part of the day we played games of Kubb and Fricket at the campsite. In the evening we went for a night hike and swim. This park is perfect if you enjoy swimming, canoeing, boating, floating or fishing.

This campground has undergone a number of updates to their facilities so the cabins, bathrooms, picnic area, boat dock and other areas look great.

Ranger Review of Nature's Coffee Kettle

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, from time to time I am provided products to test. For this outing I was provided some coffee by Nature's Coffee Kettle.

I'll be honest, I'm not much of a coffee drinker. However, when organizing a camping trip I've found it helpful to bring coffee for those that do drink it. Nothing can kill the vibe of a great camping trip more than a coffee drinker without their morning coffee fix.

Not being a coffee drinker, I don't even have a traditional coffee kettle in my camping kit. I typically bring instant coffee, boil water in a pot and serve it in a cup. So the all-in-one solution by Nature's Cofffee Kettle was perfect.

Nature's Coffee Kettle kits include a mylar kettle for brewing and your choice of a variety of coffee flavors - Colombian, Guatemalan, Sumatran, Brazilian, French Roast, etc. They even offer tea and hot chocolate. On this occasion we were just car camping, but the kettle is lightweight and portable which might make it useful for backpacking.

The kit functions in the following manner. The kettle is a mylar bag with a steeping section and a containing section. The coffee comes in bags similar to a tea bag. Each coffee bag can prepare 4 cups of coffee. You place the coffee bag inside the top of the included mylar kettle. You then pour a small amount of hot water into the top of the steeping section of the kettle to moisten the coffee bag. Once the coffee bag is moist, you pour the additional hot water into the top of the mylar kettle. The hot water steeps the coffee and flows into the lower containing section of the kettle. You can seal the mylar bag to allow the coffee to brew a bit more. If the first steeping does not create a strong enough coffee for your taste you can pass the coffee through the kettle a second time.

The kit comes with directions printed on the side of the kettle. The directions are easy enough to follow. My first attempt at brewing the coffee was a little awkward. However, my second attempt went much smoother.

Not even being a coffee drinker, I could tell that the taste of the coffee was better than instant coffee. I'm not sure how it might compare to coffee shop coffee. My friend Susan is a daily coffee drinker and has been known to leave a campground for a nearby town in search of good coffee. She tried the coffee and said that it was actually pretty good. So I'll take her word for it. Keep up the good vibes!

We started off the morning with coffee and a nice breakfast. The rest of the day went swimmingly.

Another possible benefit of the kit, that I only thought about after our trip, is that we could have prepared the coffee at our campsite, but carried the kettle and coffee to a scenic overlook to enjoy it. Think of the possibilities!

The pros of this kit include: 1. Portability 2. Lightweight 3. Convenience 4. Flavor

The only cons that I could think of regarding this product are the following: 1. The mylar coffee kettle did not stand up on its own, so I had to hold one corner while pouring in the hot water. 2. The kettle and bags only serve 4 cups. Many people drink 2 cups in the morning, so multiple brews might be required. 3. The refill bags of coffee seemed a bit pricey for this non-coffee drinker. Perhaps a coffee connoisseur might be able to taste and see the value of this fresh brew coffee kit more than I.

Overall, I'm glad that I had the opportunity to try the Nature's Coffee Kettle kit. If you are a serious coffee drinker this kit might work perfect for you.

Lake Bastrop + Family Activities + Lake Life

This campground is located a short distance away from the city of Austin, Texas. The park is managed by the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA). At the entrance there is an office where you can pay your admission fee and it has a small store where you can pick up supplies. If you arrive late, there is an after hour station to pay your fee which accepts cash or a credit card.

This park has car and RV campsites. There are no primitive sites. There is a campground called the Lake Bastrop North Shore Park located 15 minutes away with primitive sites.

The campsites are all very similar. There is an area to park your car and it will fit a small or midsize RV. There are water and electrical hook-ups which make it very convenient. There are typically plenty of trees for shade. Each site has a picnic table for dining, a grill for outdoor cooking, a pole to hang food or trash and there is a fire ring for a campfire. Of course they also have pad sites where you can place a tent. The pad sites will fit anywhere from a two man tent up to an eight man tent. In addition to the campsites there are a number of small cabins which can hold up to four people. The cabins have some basic amenities and the restrooms are nearby. Most of the campsites and cabins are only a short walk to the lake shore where you can catch a sweet view of Lake Bastrop.

There is limited hiking with one trail that runs along the lakeshore for about 6 miles. The main attraction of this park is living the lake life. Near the campsites one can launch a canoe or kayak. But there is also a boat ramp and boat dock where you can launch larger sized watercraft. If you don’t have your own watercraft you can rent a canoe or kayak from the office and pick it up near the boat dock. It is possible to fish from a boat or the shore. There are a number of community spaces which are great for picnicking. There is a sand volleyball court. And there’s a special area of the lake that has been roped-off and is designated for swimming.

I think that the only possible downside about this park might be that there are always lots of families and energetic kids running around. If you’re seeking peace and quiet this might not be your place. If you are seeking some fun activities, this place is great.

I think that the Lake Bastrop South Shore Park is a 5 star campground for all of the facilities, amenities and considering that the staff are friendly.

great place but new changes

we go a lot to this place. Nice spacious private sites, easy access to the water, very clean friendly place. Our last visit kind of made me not want to return. We always rent a canoe. well they have doubled on their prices on rentals of canoes and kayaks. I will not pay that price. Now they have these huge wind socks in bright colors everywhere. the staff was not as friendly or as helpful as they used to be. why change something when it was already good. sometimes upgrading is not the best option. It has made us not want to go back. But overall the park is nice. If you have never been I recommend going, but for us who have gone there for years, and now all the changes, we do not like. This is campsite #12.

Better parks nearby; skip this one!

We have an annual Easter weekend camping trip every year and tend to reserve our campsites late as most parks an hour from Austin are always booked. Except for South Shore Park; they always have availability. They aren't cheap; campsite fees plus day pass fees and car fees; 2 nights was $50 for just me and my site. There are a couple hiking trails/trail walks and a swimming area with a volley ball net and grill areas, but otherwise not much to do. Bathrooms were kept clean and park staff are friendly. There is a power plant nearby and Friday early morning we were awoken by loud noises from the plant which was annoying. Didn't hear anything Saturday morning which was good.

Overall, this park isn't anything special but if it's your only option in the area then it isn't bad.