About Rock Island State Park

Hike In
Rock Island State Park is located in Center Hill Lake in Tennessee
28 Reviews of Rock Island State Park
You like waterfalls?

Off I24 near Murfreesboro, Tn and a leisurely drive through the Tennessee countryside. Small towns, pickups and cows. Watch for stop signs, I almost missed one while looking at the scenery.

I camped in the tent/not so primitive campsite this time. Paved parking spots with electric ( don’t know if it was on, had nothing to plug in;) boxes and large areas with picnic tables, fire rings and gravel squares for your tent. You could easily fit a group in each site. That being said the sites are very open to each other.

Small shower house with a shower and two latrines. Clean and maintained. I would avoid the very first site next to the shower house, noisy and foot traffic would be constant. I decided to sleep in the truck due to inclement weather, threw a tarp over the top and left the windows down.

Something to be aware of is the park is split by the river , dam and falls so make sure you get a map, there are good trails on both sides.

The falls are the main attraction at the park and are pretty awesome to hike down around and through. Pay attention to the weather and warnings. The Trails are technical and rocky on the far side of the dam but worth the trip. On the Park office side is the historical stuff and another long walk down to the foot of the falls.

There is kayaking too but I haven’t had the opportunity to try it yet. Things in the area to check out are the antique stores and “Foglight Foodhouse”.

Rock Island SP Rocks!

Stayed overnight two nights to participate in a mini-triathalon. Rained most all weekend, but breaks in the weather proved timely and had a fantastic experience! Park personnel are very friendly, check in was a breeze, everyone I spoke with had a lot of knowledge of the area, things to do in the area and best times for hiking, kayaking, or just camping. Campsites were easily backed into, and although somewhat close to one another, they are staggard to afford some privacy. On site campground hosts were always available, without being in everyone's business! Good hiking trails, very dog friendly. Shower and toilets were clean and well kept.

Floating away :)

Just got back from an AWESOME, WET, weekend at Rock Island State Park. I stayed at the RV camping area and participated in the Tennessee State Park Rock and Row Triathlon. (Which ended up being a duathlon due to the rain) The campgrounds were recently (w/i a few years) renovated, are well landscaped and easyisly accessed. The bathrooms are in good shape, and clean. The falls are the thing to see and depending on the season you go you can get reasonably close or see them from above. Several moderate trails , water sports and cycling. The town of Rock Island sports several antique shops with good deals if that's your thing and other local small businesses which keep it interesting .

BEAUTIFUL to see the falls and the vastness of the natural area!!!

Fun time!

I loved the hiking there. The campsite has a good website, letting you know exactly what you get. Have the option to go tent or RV. Beautiful surroundings.

Rock Island: Come for the scenery, not the camping.

Rock Island has some great spots. There's a few waterfalls, a swimming area, and some picnic areas. However, the camping is just ok, especially the tent camping. It's small, right off the road and not super close to the trails. The RV camping parts looked a little better when I drove by. There's a pavilion, a better bathhouse, and it just looked nicer. I'm all for rustic camping, but it felt like it was trying to be a better campground.

Anyways, Rock Island has a few hiking trails and a pretty awesome swimming hole beneath Twin Falls. I hiked the Blue Hole trial, which basically descends to the river via a waterfall. It's pretty difficult and you are ensured to get wet feet, but it's great!

In my opinion, there are better places to camp in the area and I would just make a day trip here to see some of the waterfalls and the huge dam that creates Center Hill Lake.

Hiking/Camping at Rock Island

This park is one our families favorite places to do a Day Hike at. The falls and river are always amazing! (Could do with less snakes though!) We enjoy climbing to the top of the upper falls where the kids can jump off the cliff. The breezy mist from the Twin Falls makes for a great way yo cool off quickly. Also, the trails are well marked

The camp site has always been neat and clean as well as the bathrooms and showers.

It's always a great drive as well.

Rock Island State Park RV Camping

We had a great time at this campground. It was me and my 2 year old son in our pop up camper. The site we had had a nice square picnic table and fire ring. We also had some friends tent camp on our site and there was plenty of space. Our friends that camped in the tent section wished they had picked the RV section since there was no playground by them. We were very close to the playground and bathhouse which was great. There was also a volleyball court full of sand. The site and bathhouse were great the only bad thing IMO is that you have to drive to get almost anywhere. If you are in a motor home and don't tow a car this could be annoying. Also the roads to the hiking are very narrow.