Coalmont, TENNESSEE

Most Recent Coalmont Camping Reviews
Beautiful and secluded

Great place to go camping! Chris is very helpful, friendly and willing to show you around upon arriving. You will also be introduced to all his great dogs. After that you won’t be bothered unless you need help. Very beautiful wooded area with tons of privacy and plenty of room for everyone. There’s about 40 acres to walk around with an amazing river to walk along. I would highly recommended this place to anyone that doesn’t mind camping without amenities other then what you can bring for yourself.

Stunning place

We were in the first week of November absolutely lovely park loved the staff in the office they were so accommodating We had a nice level site plenty of space to spread out and kick our shoes off for a few nights sunsets were incredible cool autumn nights Trails galore and nice wildlife scenery for photography

We enjoyed our stay at Raccoon Mountain. Sites were a good size. Not right on top of each other. The caverns were pretty cool. Having the dog park close by was a bonus. We would definitely stay here again.

Creek side backcountry camping

The Turkey Creek campsite is a campsite along the Walls of Jericho trail and is located just feet from Turkey Creek. The site is approximately 3.3 miles from the Alabama hikers trailhead parking lot. The campsite is level and large enough to accommodate a handful of tents. There are also many trees that would be suitable for hammock camping and in my opinion, this site is the best along the trail for hammocks. This site is fully shaded. There were 3 or 4 fire rings at this site, so multiple groups could be accommodated.

This is backcountry camping so plan appropriately(no bathroom, pack it in- pack is out). We found no cell phone service with Verizon at this site. Water can be sourced from Turkey Creek if it is flowing, but should be treated/filtered(on this visit Turkey Creek was pretty dry at the campsite after a very dry summer, but was flowing a little better up stream closer to the falls).

Clark Cemetery

The Clark Cemetery campsite is a moderate sized campsite along the Walls of Jericho trail and is located just yards from the Clark Cemetery and the Turkey Creek Bridge. The site is approximately 3.1 miles from the Alabama hikers trailhead parking lot. The campsite is level and large enough to accommodate many tents. There are also many trees that would be suitable for hammock camping. You can choose from a shaded space to a sunny space depending on which side of the site you set up on. I counted at least six fire rings at this site, so multiple groups could be accommodated. With the very close proximity to the Clark Cemetery (a 1800’s family cemetery) I imagine the campfire stories could be very entertaining.

This is backcountry camping so plan appropriately (no bathroom, pack it in- pack is out). We found no cell phone service with Verizon at this site. Water can be sourced from Turkey Creek if it is flowing, but should be treated/filtered (on this visit Turkey Creek was pretty dry after a very dry summer, but Hurricane Creek is just a short walk away).

Small campsite near Hurricane Creek Bridge

The Hurricane Creek campsite is the smallest campsite along the Walls of Jericho trail and is located near the junction of the TN and AL trails and just yards from the Hurricane Creek Bridge. The site is approximately 2.7 miles from the Alabama hikers trailhead parking lot. The campsite is level and large enough to accommodate a handful of tents in close proximity to each other. There are also many trees that would be suitable for hammock camping. The site is mainly shaded and has one large fire ring.

This is backcountry camping so plan appropriately (no bathroom, pack it in- pack is out). We found ok to weak cell phone service with Verizon at this site. Water can be sourced from Hurricane Creek, but should be treated/filtered.

A place to go back!

My husband and I went this weekend and had a great time! (Although, it rained almost the entire trip.) The primitive sites were great! A little walk to the bathhouse from our site. Bathhouses were clean, heated, and even required a passcode to use. We’re already planning a trip back here with our young boys. So many caverns and caves to explore so don’t let rain deter you from visiting!

Convenient Trailhead Camping

The trailhead campsite is a short walk from the parking lot, but makes for a great basecamp for exploring the area. The campsite is level and large enough to accommodate many tents. There are also trees that would be suitable for hammock camping. The site is on the edge of an overlook of the canyon and has multiple fire rings if there are multiple groups there. This site and trailhead serves both the Walls of Jericho trail and the Bear Den Point Loop Trail.

This is primitive camping so no bathhouse, but there is a porta-john in the trailhead parking lot. The site is a good distance from any convenient stores or grocery stores so plan accordingly. We found good cell phone service with Verizon at this site. Trash cans are located in the trailhead parking lot. Please pack out your trash from the campsite.

Nice view!

Have a very nice view mountain to die for. Campground is nice it’s just they had plumbing problem when we were there so we didn’t have water running. Other wise I would give 5 stars

Great campground

Not a far hike in. Isolated camping spots, well marked, out-house nearby, along with water source.

Absolutely gorgeous

We camped at the Father Adamz campground. It was a little hard to find initially, there were no trail markers. Luckily we ran into a hiker that knew where it was. It was a .5 mile hike into the campground. Once there, it was breathtaking. You can hear the river at night when all is quiet and the campground (8) was very spacious.

Really neat experience!

This campground was super different from anywhere I've ever stayed. My family and I went a few years ago on a trip to Tennessee. It was a decent place to stay. We RV camped on this trip, but the campground had tent sites too. Ours was pretty spacious and right next to our friends' site.

What was neat about this campground that it actually is right above a series of caverns, one of the biggest systems in the US I think. We got to go on a 4 hour caving trip led by a guide, which was really awesome. If you're every at this place, definitely book a trip to go around the caves. Also, right at the campground was a place where you could mine for gemstones. This was really great for the younger kids we had with us and pretty fun for me too.

As always, there's some good hiking around. We checked out snoopers rock trail which was beautiful. Also a fun thing to do since the campground isn't too far from Chattanooga was going to watch the Lookouts at a minor league baseball game. This area has a ton of stuff to do and it was a great trip!

Good people

Nice people

It's a free location

People get high down there and throw trash every where

Ranger Review: RovR RollR 60 Cooler at Cloudland Canyon State Park

Campground Review:

This is the second year in a row for us visiting Cloudland Canyon in the fall. Cloudland Canyon is a large state park with 72 water and electrics campsites, 30 walk-in primitive campsites, and 13 backcountry campsites. There are also cabins and yurts to rent. The RV sites are split between the east rim where the sites are close together and are in more of an open field, and the west rim, where the sites are in a wooded setting, shaded, and slightly separated. All of sites include a picnic table and fire ring.

Check-in was easy at the office at the entrance of the campground. We stayed on site 36 on the west rim. This site was mainly level and close to the bathhouse.

The bathhouse is centrally located and older, but functional and cleaned daily. There are also laundry machines available between the men’s and women’s area..

Firewood, ice, limited supplies, and souvenirs were available at the office. At the office, you can also pick up the phone number to a local that sells firewood by the cord or half cord and will deliver right to your site. We got a half cord(equivalent to about 6 bundles) for$23.

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did not have wi-fi.

There is tons of hiking in and around the state park. On this visit, we hiked about 14 miles on trails in different areas of the park. The west rim campground also has connector trails to some of the main trails and we had our own personal connector off of site 36 to the trail system. The view on both the west and east rims area amazing, and if you decide to take on the 600 stairs to the bottom of the canyon there are two impressive waterfalls.

With this being our second year to stop here, we have fallen in love with the area. We recommend this campground and will keep returning to this area. I really like that it is less than 2 hours away from home, so we can visit this park often.

----------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the RovR RollR 60 Cooler. This cooler from RovR is a new addition to our standard camp gear list. The RollR 60 is a sturdy cooler that has the ability to hold temperature for long periods. During our 5 days of use, we did have some ice melt, but the ice water stayed super cold, kept our items very cold, and some ice remained the entire time. The all-terrain tires and handle made it easy for moving throughout the terrain found at our campsite. The wagon bin that fits on top is great for storing miscellaneous gear and the dry bin inside the cooler is perfect for keeping those items you want cold, but not wet. I also like the fact that is has heavy-duty rubber latches to keep the lid closed tight and the critters out. I highly recommend this cooler and am excited to have this as part of our gear loadout.

Level park

Level fishing is great. Very few large sites

So much to do! And beautiful fall tent camping

There is so, so much to do at this park. Unfortunately, we only got to hike around the falls since the weather was so bad.

Tent camping review:

• Lots of flat space for your tent, a canopy and for parking
  • Easy to put down stakes
  • A ton of beautiful trees
  • Mostly RVs - as tent campers, we were in the minority
  • Bathrooms were a bit old school; I did not want to shower there
  • A lot of trashcans closeby
  • So many daddy longlegs
Love this park

This park never disappoints!!! Very clean facilities. Breath taking views. Awesome adventure hiking trails!!! A family favorite for sure.

Great family park

We spent the weekend at the park in our 21’ camper. Site 28 was fairly level, and had water and 30a power. A few looked like they had sewer at them, but ours didn’t. Fair warning, sites all seemed to be pretty small. My kids loved playing at the playground. The whole park was just really well kept. Bathrooms and showers were clean and in great shape. The staff and rangers were all great, and the gift shop at the park entrance was pretty nice. Small, but had shirts and a couple souvenirs, as well as firewood. The falls were nice, but be prepared to get your shoes wet if you walk the trail down towards the main falls. There was a cold snap that weekend, so we didn’t feel like getting that wet. We will definitely be back in the spring.

Great place for hiking

Have hiked here several times and enjoyed the amazing waterfall.

Great camp ground!

Great camp ground. Been going here for 10 plus years with my family and have never had any problems. Great hiking trails and water falls.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak lifestraw water bottle at Stone Door Campsite

Campsite: Stone Door review

This campsite is great for novice primitive campers. The campsites are secluded, but very close to the parking lot. There is an outhouse and drinking water close to the campsites. Each site has a fire ring and plenty of space.

There is a parking lot for overnight campers/hikers. There is also a lovely pavilion with grills for day hikers. This site is obviously close to stone door and Laurel Falls. You can also hike over to Ranger Falls on the Big Creek Gulf Trail. I did the Big Creek Rim trail. It was relatively flat, but had some beautiful overlooks. A great campsite with easy accessibility to great trails. Book ahead of time as campsites fill up quickly on weekends!

Product review: Banner & Oak lifestraw water bottle

As a ranger, I get to test products occasionally. I took the Banner & Oak lifestraw water bottle hiking with me. It very easy to use. You follow the instructions for first use, and then you can fill the bottle with any water source. I think it works because I did not get sick! The most difficult part is storage. You have to follow the directions for proper storage of the bottle. You have to properly dry the filter before storage. I liked it more than drops I have used in the past. Pretty awesome that the purchase of this bottle gets a child clean water for a year!

Primarily an RV park

I’m giving this campground 4 stars as an RV park, not as a good spot for tent camping.

There were pros and cons, so I’ll start with the cons- the campground is surrounded by what looked to be a mobile home community. If you stay in an rv site, you probably won’t notice this, but the tent with electric sites are on the outer loop, so we noticed, and heard commotion from the road and community well into the night. The tent/electric sites were slightly wooded, but most are basically in the back yard of said community, so you don’t really have the “camping in the woods” feeling. We were the only occupants of tent/electric and there was not a single tent in the primitive field. The campground is pretty pricey also, compared to other places I’ve stayed.

Pros- This grounds was very clean and well maintained. Every site has gravel, and they had a pile of fill gravel, so I guess they fill it in when it gets low in spots. The restrooms and showers were also very clean and well kept. While I believe there are some long term residents here, the sites were not very cluttered as many are at other parks.

The campground is really close to the exit, and several restaurants, and really close to Chattanooga. There’s a camp store with essentials, including ice and firewood. There’s a pool that looks to be very clean and well maintained.

This is a great spot to spend the night if you are visiting Chattanooga and just need a place to stay close by, but I would say if you are just wanting to camp out, you could find a better spot in the great outdoors for that.

Tried it again.

If you weren't aware, the fall is the perfect time to camp. Which means almost every recreation.gov campsite is full to the brim.

We tried this location again (after having a negative experience with their staff) and have some more concrete thoughts.

If you're loading in for tent camping, this cap.has some great views, up in the 70-100s, be sure to check elevation on the map. The pictures don't show you how difficult to access.

Spots 104-118 are up a horrific incline, not suitable for small RVs or trailers. There's also no lights here.

The main bathrooms near the front are pretty nice, but bring flops flops and expect it to be a tad gross on the floor. There was excrement in the large handicapped shower.

There's a fish cleaning station just past the main bathrooms and dumpsters, perfect if you bring your boat too.

The front lake spots are nice, but no shade. Be sure you have a 10x10 canopy or RV awning.

Overall the campground is built around the lake, but incredibly tight, hard to navigate (especially at night) and unless you're a pro, know to look at your spaces/map and calculate your turn radius and which spots you can back into, don't go if you have a truck + trailer over 17' or a large 5th wheel.

While nice scenery, the difficulty to navigate, small roads labeled two way (impassable if another vehicle approaching) make this ok-maintained came a poorly-accesible 3 stars.

West Rim Walk In

Stayed at site #21 which was about a 1/4 mile from the parking lot and bath house. There was also a short trail to the road which made loading/unlaoding gear easier than hiking it all in. Great camp site that had easy access to West Rim Loop trail. Camp site was large, nice fire pit with cooking grate, picnic table, and nice tent pad. Could not see any of our neighbors from our site but some of the other camp sites were closer to each other.

Lots of Fun!

I love the water falls and hiking in the area. Beautiful landscape makes this a great place to spend the weekend.

Relax

I love this campground and at least stay a weekend every time I’m in TN. I love how close to the city it is and the warm water.

Mountain Festival

A group of friends met here for the Mountain Festival. In addition to an awesome time checking out food and craft venders there are some awesome trails and overlooks. There are several campgrounds to pick from. We were in D which is best for small campers and tents. Some of these sites are really close together, others have a lot of space to set up. There is a nice group camp site in the trees and some secluded sites on the back loop. The showerhouse is a little old but functional. Fall Creek Falls is going through renovations and they have some new areas already opened for your enjoyment. Zip lines, a nice swimming pool, an amphitheater, swing bridges, awesome waterfall overlooks and some strenuous climbs that are worth the journey.

Nice campground!

The tent sites were really nice. I love how close you are to the water. It also includes two swim areas which is nice. Bathrooms are good in campground standards! The hiking trail is ok. Canoe the Caney is a few minute drive from the campground which is great if you like canoeing. We really enjoyed it!

Friendly staff

The weekend we decided to stay was the same weekend a water main break happened in downtown Chattanooga,  leaving everyone without water. The staff was tremendous!  They took it in stride and did everything they could to make it a comfortable stay. The campground was well maintained and we loved the pool! We will be back again to check out the cavern and pan for some gems.