The best BOAT IN camping near
Central , TENNESSEE

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Central Camping Reviews
Lakeside sunsets for days

You really can’t pass this one up. If you are road tripping from Great Smokey to Shenandoah this is the perfect one or two night way point. We opted for two nights and were stunned with the views from the hemlock loop. We booked before the site filled up and got the best site of the loop — site 006. I don’t know if we’ll ever be back because it was a bit out of the way for us.

It is primarily a boat/fishing recreation area in Cherokee National Forest, but it works as a perfect get away. Similar to other NF campgrounds the sites are huge and offering full or partial shade. We lucked out and got there during peak autumn colors. Being that we booked a month out we didn’t realize the campground would close the other loops our weekend causing our loop to be full the whole weekend. The atmosphere was respectful.

We did a day trip to Asheville, NC since we are not boat ppl and got to experience a great day in the city.

These are largely primitive sites, but offer some great amenities regardless. Very big picnic tables, shared water, bathrooms, and a boat ramp.

Alcohol isn’t permitted but it seemed like everyone ignores that rule. Bring your own firewood as what they were offering needed to be chopped. We didn’t bring our axe so we had to run out for some wood at a gas station.

Also the road into the campsite has several switchbacks and blind turns. Locals breeze through it, but if you are hauling an very large trailer/RV be prepared. It would be tough to make some of these turns in a vehicle the size of a greyhound.

Sunset is worth it. If we can come back, we will.

This is a hidden gem!

I think if I could, I would stay here forever. Sites are by the river! It’s gorgeous! Peaceful and quiet as well. The only downside for some of you would be the acceptable size of RV/motorhome. We have a 28’ TT, I believe that is about the limit. Reservations are made by phone, very affordable. Oh, did I forget to say it’s full hook ups? :)

Didn't have the issues others had here. Our site was secluded, very clean and quiet. In fact, all facilities were clean and well maintaned. Lots of trails to hike, nice camp store, friendly employees. And, everyone was social distancing. This will definitely be on our "do it again" list!

Wonderful

Well kept and beautiful. Very relaxing with the sounds of the river. Full hook up we’re reasonably priced. We are looking forward to a return trip.

My favorite place

Across the road from the “resort and spa” that houses the rent-by-the-hour hot spring hot tubs. Situated along the beautiful French Broad River. They offer cabins (primitive to full amenities), RV sites, tent sites with electric, tent sites without and primitive tent sites way at the beach with no tables or fire rings. Plenty of shade and trees. Bath houses. The campground is now gated. The AT runs right in front of it as it passes through the adorable little town. There is a little outdoor outfitter, a couple restaurants… beautiful hikes which ever direction you go.

Great little spot on the river to cool off

At first I was a little panicked that it was going to be a campground that jammed in too many people and we’d have no privacy. It was surprisingly quiet and we had plenty of space. We stayed in the tent spots along the river. It was quiet, we didn’t feel like anyone was on top of us, and the restrooms and general areas felt available.

The water levels are perfect for floating around and playing in the river. There’s even a little path you can take a tube up and float back down. They had a lily pad for general use and a little pond if you wanted something contained.

It’s a great little spot with good people running it. We’ll definitely be back!

Loved staying here!

A bucket list trip to step foot on the APP and spend time wandering Hot Springs NC.

Great Campground

We stayed at the Carolina Hemlocks campground while taking a road trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Very private campground that borders the South Toe River. Nice tubing put in and a great swimming spot directly in the campground. The bathrooms and shower was well taken care. Very friendly camp hosts. We stayed in site 31, which was a nice wooded private spot in the back of the campground.

Great Location

We stayed for two nights, a little away from the main camp area but was kinda glad for it. Had a great spot tucked into the woods near the water. Great path to skip rocks and just enjoy. Fire pit was a little weird but made it work. We were close to the road which was kind of a bummer but as I mentioned, not in the main area so probably can’t fault it for that.

When driving through the main area though, spaces were pretty tight, very full, and not all seemed friendly for a camper/RV though there were some. It was truly beautiful though, gas station on the way in and downtown Burnsville/grocery store wasn’t too far away.

Pretty & Pleasant

We stayed in Long Arm paddle-in area 2. Park staff was not very helpful at all when we first arrived, but despite the attitude and the terrible rainy weather, we found our site fairly easily. As other reviews here and elsewhere mention, the tent pads don’t drain well and huge puddles develop- some sites were completely overtaken by a full inch of water. Thankfully the rain stopped on our first night, but it could definitely ruin a trip. The privy was nice to have, but I could smell it at every campsite and that definitely bothered me. Overall a decent weekend, but my suspicions that I am just not a Lake Person were confirmed.