McClellanville, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent McClellanville Camping Reviews
Book Elsewhere in Advance

I agree with the other reviewer. My opinion is very strong about this place but will try to stick with facts. If you have to stay overnight due to traveling through, this would be adequate. A lot of the campers are there for work and are more permanent. Not super family friendly of a campground. Even though we visited at the beginning of December, it appeared unkept. Unsure what it would be like in the spring/summer. Dirty is how my husband and I described it. Most of the “roads” are paved which works out nice for a stroller. The dog park is a fenced in area only with swing, trash can and picnic table. They do not allow dogs to be tied up. In their words “must have an owner attached”. We have a 90lb Lab and 4 lb Yorkie. During the day, if the weather is nice, the dogs prefer outside on most occasions, as are we. The lab is not aggressive in the slightest bit and doesn’t bark without reason or at all. We received a warning from the campground via a note on the door for him being outside on a short lead to be within their rules. Never mind the yappy other dogs in the park where owners stroll through multiple times a day and allow their dog to poop on your campsite without cleaning it up and other better hidden sites with dogs tied up. The biggest part of the warning that frustrated me was that I wasn’t told directly. Instead I saw the lady comping through the site and asked could I help her (she stuck the warning on the door) even though I was clearly there and she saw me multiple times going to the laundry, strolling around with the dogs, etc. Approaching me directly about a rule violation or a complaint from a fellow camper (as I assume is what sparked the warning), etc would have been much more preferred. The playground is small but in good working condition and has an infant swing which is nice. Laundry area is sufficient and easily accessible. Some camp sites have old picnic tables and look run down but you can tel they are slowly switching them out. We stayed at a deluxe site (C15) with a fire pit, swing, outdoor seating, etc right on the end of a row. This appeared ideal until we saw all the foot traffic that came by with their multiple dogs (sometimes as many as 2/3 per person). If there has to be a next time, we would select the deluxe spot a little further up from C15, towards the middle of that row. We also believe some the the foot traffic came from the neighboring trailer park. The general area of the camp ground is very accessible to grocery stores, restaurants and convenience stores. There is a lot of noise from the highway, airplanes (which my son and husband love) and workers getting up early (5:30am) to go to job sites. During high traffic times, it can take 30-45 min to get to downtown Charleston so be aware. For our next trip to Charleston we will plan more in advance and book early at a different place.

Awesome

Great campground plenty of big spots but very busy in the heat of the summer

Family Friendly

Been to this Campground as a child and now visiting as an adult with my child. Family friendly and very helpful staff. Plenty to do for all ages. Only downfall is so many golf carts and the amount of young teens riding around in the evening 9-10 pm or later with music loud. Will definitely be going back for future beach visits

Great summer campground

My family has been camping here for many years. We always enjoy our time @ Ocean Lakes!

Great Value and Amenities

This is a great place to camp at the beach. Yes it is not beachfront and you do have about 300-400 yards to go to get to the beach, but is that really worth the extra $40-60 per night in fees. The sites were all well kept and shady. Some sites are tight for Big Rigs but ours was perfect for our 40' 5er. You will read others complain about the airline noise, yes the campground is on the flight path, but, so are another 2 campgrounds that charge about double what the state park does. The airlines never really bothered us during our stay as we were up and doing something from daylight to dark. I will definitely be coming back here.

Beautiful with wildlife

Bald eagles,owls,otter, fish. It's beautiful

Huntington Beach State Park is beautiful and basically being across the road from Brookgreen Gardens just adds to the beauty.  Have had the opportunity to camp here twice.  Not much privacy between sites but the park is nice.  The birding and wildlife are amazing, especially when you consider how close you are to the rambunctiousness of Myrtle Beach.  Needs to be on your list.

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at Myrtle Beach State Park

Campground Review:

Do you love people? Do you love the ocean? Do you love airplanes?

Then Myrtle Beach State Park is for you!

It's a great park--it's got lots of campsites, a beautiful beach, and amenities like a playground, a nature center with educational programs, and a fishing pier.

The campground is well-staffed with rangers, hosts, and volunteers.  The bathrooms are large and clean. (Hand soap is provided but there are no paper towels, just blowers). The campgrounds are well-maintained and tidy.  The trash and recycling stations are conveniently located.

The campground, particularly site 171, is directly under the flight path for planes departing from Myrtle Beach International Airport.  The flights start around 6 am and go until 11 pm or so.  The planes haven't gotten much altitude before they are roaring above your tent, hammock, or camper!

Sites are close together and there is little to no privacy.  Site 171, however, seemed to be the best one for tents, with a deep and wide site and a few trees--enough to hang our 4 hammocks.

Quiet hours were not enforced and traffic noise is easily heard, especially fire truck and police car sirens well into the night and early morning.  The park staff raced past our site frequently on tractors and golf carts once it was after 7 am.

Mosquitoes are in full force here.  The county had sprayed for them the night before we arrived.  Maybe they don't spray the tent sites, but the mosquitoes were insane.  Bring plenty of spray, wipes, and one of those bug zapper tennis rackets.  You will definitely need protection!  The camp store sells mosquito spray for twice as much as it costs across the street at Walmart.

Also, the raccoons were at our site both nights.  They are fearless and hungry.  Lock up your food, your coolers, and your trash.  They do know how to open up latches!!!

Bring a bike and/or a beach cart to get around and transport your stuff to the beach for the day.  The campground is about 300 yards from the beach and it's so nice, you'll want to spend the whole day there, then go out at night to look for creatures and enjoy the ocean breeze.

--------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the Morsel Spork (mini and XL).

I was pleasantly surprised at the comfort of using the Sporks.  I was worried they'd be awkward and unwieldy, but the creators put thought into how they are being held by the eater.  My thumb rested nicely in a groove near the top of the utensil.  The rubbery edge worked as intended to completely scrape the sides of the bowl, but an added bonus was that the rubber made the spoon edges soft where it met the skin of my mouth.

The spoon holds much more (cereal and beans, in our case) than it looks like it would.  The fork works, but I'd like thinner tines to better stab food items.  The serrated edge?  Well, it crushes rather than cuts.

I love the different colors and unique shape of the Spork(s).  They will be going on every camping trip with us.  They are easy to tell which fork is whose, and won't be lost in the cutlery shuffle when we're camping with a group of friends.  They're good for kids and adults!

Dirty

Felt like this was a location where several out of town workers camp - just seemed less family friendly. It’d work as a pit stop but I wouldn’t go back again. The Mt. Pleasant KOA is a much better bet for the fam.

Perfect

We had a great site and was surprised how much room for a KOA. Loved being able to explore the city with the help and guidance of the staff. Our fave was the wagon ride to the plantation next door.

Wonderful

Beautiful campground. Lovely ocean beach, fishing pier, and playground. Very clean, wonderful staff.

Great spot near downtown Charleston

Near downtown Charleston. Easy to get in and out. Reasonable rates. Near everything around Chai.

Right near the beach

Very busy, crowded but inexpensive access to Myrtle Beach tourist attractions. Lots of restaurants, shopping and events nearby

One of my favs in South Csrolina

Literally by the beach. Clean, friendly staff, near great low country restaurants. The old Atalaya home site is there to tour.  Brookgreen Gardens is across the Highway.

Stayed just before hurricane

We stayed at Lake Aire the week before labor day.  Staff was great and so was the park.   Had a great time while visiting Charleston area.     We had. 50 amp site for our coach and it was clean.  Bathroom nearby was very clean.   Playgrounds which we did not use look nice and safe

We will return when we are in the area again

Fred

Family camping

Stayed during off season, great price and not crowded

Great State Park

We stayed in the newer South campground, great for big rigs. Easy access to beach!

Pros and cons

Pros- Friendly and helpful staff everywhere. Our sand and grass lot was level. We had nice neighbors all around us. Our family loved the pool and the kiddos couldn’t get enough of the pirate themed water park and lazy river. They have a well stocked store. A restaurant and game room. A food truck was also available daily. Easy access to the beach. The bathhouse was clean, well stocked and climate controlled.

Cons- We were all packed in snug like sardines. Traffic is busy always.

Loved it

Very nice campground and park! Short walk to the beach. Big clean bathrooms with showers. Camp store employees were super nice. Camp sites were spacious and some on the outside ring were very secluded.

Great stay

Lots of amenities- once you’re set up you’d never need to leave. Beautiful pool, clean climate controlled bath houses, beautiful beach access!

Dog Days of Summer

This is simply the best places to camp when visiting Charleston, especially if you have 4 legged family members. The off leash area is fabulous. Bike and walking trails are all paved and flat, no hills. Convienient to beaches and Charleston attractions. Come and relax or go and enjoy. It's hard to get it wrong.

Awesome

Our go to place! Have been there all seasons and it never disappoints. Right on the beach. If you stay 6 they have you 7th day free.

Quiet and peaceful

Very nice campground. Clean. Great price. Very close to Charleston.

Great time!

We got there early, since no one was on the site we reserved they let us in. Nice size site. Clean restrooms. Short walk to the ocean. All staff and visitors were friendly. A must to put on o=your camping schedule

Peaceful setting, great location

I’ve been to Buck Hall several times. Excellent place to trailer your boat, cook over a campfire, and have a shower to wash the salt off at the end of the day. Views of the Intracoastal waterway are nice, watching the variety of boats pass by. The majority of the area is cleared grass, cutting down on bugs. Don’t forget to bring the frisbee! Since this isn’t a state park, they are tolerant to crackin a couple of cold ones. Boat landing is deep enough to drop a large boat into the drink, and cruising up Bulls Bay or heading south towards Dewees. Hiking a section of the Palmetto Trail is a good option for a day out of the sun due to the heavy maritime forest canopy. Best time of the year is Fall, Spring, and Winter. Trailering your boat will force you to pay for an RV site.

Very nice

The place is very nice. We go every summer for a week but it seems like each year it falls a little more and more. The security are very serious about their job and almost had to show proof to a security guard that we were in the right spot while trying to back in. Sites are close but to be expected on the beach. Nice pool features with the pirate ship and lazy river. The beach is full but never packed. Lots of extras to do.

Awesome family campground

We loved camping here. We rented a golf cart and never left the campground. Great lazy river, water splash zone, store and snack area. Really big shaded lot in the K area that was close to everything.

Super fun place

Water park in the summer and Festival of Lights in the winter. Clean fun and friendly park.

Awesome beach campground

We had a great time here at the beach and fishing the lazy river was a plus!!!!

Quiet

I understand the point of this campground.

It is a very large area with no designated campsites. The vault toilet has grass growing around the entrance that is about knee high. There was a water spigot on site that worked. I would filter it first.

No one was there when we showed up for a mid-day lunch and nap!

If it isn’t hunting season this campground may be a good place to check if you need free.