Goose Creek, SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Goose Creek Camping Reviews
Weird weekend

February 2017. Spent 2 nights with a decent sized group of friends. There was a renaissance fair going on, bunch of people LARPing like it was medieval times. Knights and swords and peasants and stuff. 10/10 would watch again. Creek is fun to float in the summer.

Beautiful with wildlife

Bald eagles,owls,otter, fish. It's beautiful

Wildness at heart

Hunting Island State Park is my favorite of the coastal state parks.  The wildness at the heart of this gem is undeniable.  Hurricanes have not been kind to it over the past few years but it has stood the test of time and shows us all how to adapt and roll with the storms that come through life.  If you want to visit a state park that allows you to get in touch with your wild side you must check this place out.

Peaceful

Having visited all of the State Parks on the coast Edisto Beach State Park ranks right up there at the top.  We have had the opportunity to stay at the ocean front portion and the Live Oak portion (twice).  Frankly, the Live Oak is probably our favorite.  While the ocean front was nice and we happen to be just across the dune from the ocean it feels more crowded.  The Live Oak offers more privacy and we love the woods and shade.  We pack our stuff in the car for the day and make our way to the beach for the day then head back to our private campsite at Live Oak for a nice quiet relaxing evening.  Either way you can't go wrong with Edisto Beach State Park.

Santee State park

BE CAREFUL EROSION IS SEVERE IN SECTIONS OF THE PARK. We stayed here for a week to take care of some medical issues. VA healthcare is difficult on the road. Anyway the campground is ok, nothing amazing. The location is nice. They have a boat dock. Cabins and 2 RV camping areas. The bugs are plentiful. The shoreline is difficult to reach from the campground. I see the lots are mowed after the campers leave. The grass gets mowed and anything left on the ground gets chopped up, small trash included. When we arrived with our RV we were neve directed to check in. We found our site and on the pole was a small tag with our name and a checkout date. We have been here 5 of the 7 days and we have yet to see the camp host unless he IS the "Mad Mower" even so we didnt get as much as a wave. My wife did venture over to the restroom / showers and refuses to return. She said they were not clean and had bugs everywhere and it was disgusting.  I figured she was exaggerating so I checked the men's room. It really needs some help. I would be happy to spray down a bath house or 2 but since I haven't seen a camp host I will leave it be. It's amazing how much fellow campers will help out if they have the opportunity,  I was ready to help and even have everything needed to help out. Maybe I will see him this weekend before I get busy with other things. Anyways this came was not a bad experience so far but I think they really need some better hosts and maybe set up some kind of activities. They have nothing going on here other than the lake. UPDATE: Before we left our week stay in santee we were able to visit the other campground connect to the same park to get to this side you must turn right. They were collecting a $2 fee. At 1st everything seemed ok. Minor road damage, downed trees here and there, nothing that 2ould keepme away. It seemed like the permanent camps were here. Some of the camps appear to have been set up for a very long time. As we went back the roads got worse and worse. I would not take my rig into the back 2 loops without locking in 4 wheel drive and riding on the "grass" to go around. The road in the back has some major road erosion going on. I suggest you walk back before taking a rig of any size back there. With the leaves on the ground it does not look bad. I saw drops of at least 12" BE VERY CAREFUL, THE ROAD EROSION IS SEVERE.

Good for primitive or hunters

Dispersed camping with fire pits. Definitely more primitive and is used mostly by hunters. Very quiet if you want to get away from everything when not hunting season

Dirty

Felt like this was a location where several out of town workers camp - just seemed less family friendly. It’d work as a pit stop but I wouldn’t go back again. The Mt. Pleasant KOA is a much better bet for the fam.

Perfect

We had a great site and was surprised how much room for a KOA. Loved being able to explore the city with the help and guidance of the staff. Our fave was the wagon ride to the plantation next door.

Spacious sites and friendly staff

Our site was very close to the marsh and short trip to the town and beach. The town of Edisto beach is very quaint with many restaurants and shops. We were there in March so it wasn't too crowded or too hot. Very pleasant place to spend time. Thanks to the friendly staff.

Great spot near downtown Charleston

Near downtown Charleston. Easy to get in and out. Reasonable rates. Near everything around Chai.

Pristine barrier island with organized campsites

Organized campsites on pristine barrier island near Beaufort SC. Accessible via bridge. Tent camping and RV sites. Several rustic trails . Literally can camp next to the beach. There is a historic lighthouse and grounds  there a available for tours. Across the channel from Fripp Island.

Stayed just before hurricane

We stayed at Lake Aire the week before labor day.  Staff was great and so was the park.   Had a great time while visiting Charleston area.     We had. 50 amp site for our coach and it was clean.  Bathroom nearby was very clean.   Playgrounds which we did not use look nice and safe

We will return when we are in the area again

Fred

Good overnight stop

We stayed here overnight on our way to the beach. The Edisto River runs by the campground and people were fishing. Campground was small but had what we needed to spend the night with a small camp store on site. The only thing bad was it was in August and the evening temps were around 90. Don’t recommend camping in this part of the world in the hottest part of the summer. We motel‘ it on the way back.

Dog Days of Summer

This is simply the best places to camp when visiting Charleston, especially if you have 4 legged family members. The off leash area is fabulous. Bike and walking trails are all paved and flat, no hills. Convienient to beaches and Charleston attractions. Come and relax or go and enjoy. It's hard to get it wrong.

Camping at the beach

Hello happy campers. Stayed at site 172. Nice level spot with your neighbor right behind you and across the street. Our three year old said we were living in the jungle since we are surrounded by a multitude of trees and plant life. We love the shade. We saw deer, birds, squirrels and several raccoons. I suggest you keep all food put away since I watched one carry off someone’s food from their campsite. The store is stocked with everything you could possibly need or that you forgot to bring. Staff is friendly and helpful. Beach is clean and best of all not crowded. If you like history and nature, don’t forget to see the lighthouse and the nature center. One of the highlights of our stay was getting to participate in a loggerhead sea turtle nest being opened and watching four baby turtles being released to the seas.

Quiet and peaceful

Very nice campground. Clean. Great price. Very close to Charleston.

Peaceful setting, great location

I’ve been to Buck Hall several times. Excellent place to trailer your boat, cook over a campfire, and have a shower to wash the salt off at the end of the day. Views of the Intracoastal waterway are nice, watching the variety of boats pass by. The majority of the area is cleared grass, cutting down on bugs. Don’t forget to bring the frisbee! Since this isn’t a state park, they are tolerant to crackin a couple of cold ones. Boat landing is deep enough to drop a large boat into the drink, and cruising up Bulls Bay or heading south towards Dewees. Hiking a section of the Palmetto Trail is a good option for a day out of the sun due to the heavy maritime forest canopy. Best time of the year is Fall, Spring, and Winter. Trailering your boat will force you to pay for an RV site.

Great

Excellent staff and facility. Five stars

Collenton

Fairly open & not too much privacy. Very nice river acces makes up for it, spent nearly all of time at the river or exploring. Trail leading off the campgrounds through the woods is very fun, saw a corn snake and found a geocache.

Hunting Island

Stayed at site 126, great site, fairly shaded. Wonderful experience, plenty of wildlife (deer as common as people, raccoons too, even a baby bobcat at neighboring campsite). Only complaints are: no parking at bathhouses have to walk & had bad experience with single person. Free access to the state park and great beach. Great weekend getaway. Mosquitoes were pretty bad away from campsite but keeping two citronella candles lit kept them away 90% of the time, not as bad as people make it out to be here. $2 to climb the lighthouse is definitely worth it. Even with 90+ degree weather the breeze kept it bearable. Very quiet campground.

Nice

Small but nice park on the river

Pretty

Stayed here a lot beautiful setting on the edisto river

Super fun place

Water park in the summer and Festival of Lights in the winter. Clean fun and friendly park.

Keep going back

This campground offers wildlife and great views. We were able to go hiking and kayaking at this park and saw deer while at our campsite in the evenings. We’ve stayed twice now and enjoyed it both times in different sites.

Would come back again and again.

NOTE: We stayed at the Live Oak campground so my evaluation is only for that location, not the beach campground. The sites were surrounded by vegetation and with quite a few of the sites you essentially share a site location with another site. The sites vary greatly in size and a I recommend bringing a long freshwater hose with you if you are RVing. I also recommend having your freshwater tank full before arriving for drinking purposes as the water here has a salty taste to it (the rangers inform you of that upon checkin and apparently it’s a thing across the island). The park itself was quiet and you have relative privacy (except for noted above). The bugs weren’t too bad but be aware of ticks. While staying at the Live Oak campground you are also able to access the state park’s daytime beach access for free. The beaches here are nice and sandy and the beach access form the park was less crowded in the morning than the public access areas.

NOTE: we did drive through the beach campground while at the other location and noticed a lack of shaded sites compared to the Live Oak Campground.

Quiet

I understand the point of this campground.

It is a very large area with no designated campsites. The vault toilet has grass growing around the entrance that is about knee high. There was a water spigot on site that worked. I would filter it first.

No one was there when we showed up for a mid-day lunch and nap!

If it isn’t hunting season this campground may be a good place to check if you need free.

Quick and Quiet

Went for a weekend ride in the forest and chose this campground. It has a vault toilet and 8 sites that are first come first serve. Both Friday and Saturday night there was only one other site spoken for.

It was nice hearing the bull frogs in the overnight as well as the owls. Ensure you have some type of insect repellent as the mosquito population is not lacking. Sites are open and have plenty of room.

The picnic tables are made of concrete and are starting to show signs of aging. I don’t recall seeing running water anywhere on site, doesn’t mean there isn’t.

If you are looking for a free place to camp close to the coast or right off a forest road, you found it!

Peaceful

For our first time camping in our RV the staff was very friendly and helpful. The crew escorted us to our campsite, made sure we where happy. This was done with anyone who came in to camp.

If you don’t feel like cooking, order their awesome pizza, wings and they will deliver it to you by golf cart.

Our trash was picked up every morning. Campsite, pool and laundry area was kept clean.

We had an awesome view from our campsite of Santee Lake. We definitely will be coming back!

Great state park

Had a great time hiking and fishing

Small quiet campground

Not much to do here. Close to the interstate and right on the Edisto River. There are about 25 sites and some are very small and very unlevel. One bath house at the entrance to the campground