Kapp Heights, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Kapp Heights Camping Reviews
LOVE IT

Absolutely the best place! We have gone the past 3-4 years! Kids love it! Floating down the river is the best part! So much to do!

Great place to camp.

A great place to camp and spend time with family and friends, you can enjoy lots of trails and explore the woods, and also a great place to enjoy the night sky, see the stars and the Milky Way in the summer months.

Splash Magic Review

Splash magic is a great family campground with tons of amenities. There is a great water park as well as adults only pool for those wanting a break from the little ones. Give it a try!

Waterfalls!!

The biggest draw to this state park (which no one in Pennsylvania I spoke with seemed to know about) is the 22 waterfalls! We saw 18 of them on a four-mile moderate hike, but if you want to see the additional four, you could make it a seven-mile hike. The trails are very well marked.

We stayed in the large loop, which is a peninsula on Lake Jean. Many of the sites have lake views. The bathhouse was clean but not adequate for 73 sites. The campground was about ¾ full and there was often a wait in the bathroom. Showers looked reasonable but I did not use them.

There were many tent campers in this loop, which does not allow pets (the other, smaller loop does allow pets). There are no hookups at all in the park. The water had been tested earlier in the season and unsafe levels of manganese were detected. All water spigots were shut off and covered but we were told it was safe to wash our dishes and brush our teeth. However, the water for the dishwashing sink was turned off as well as the water in the restroom at the trailhead. Since we had a reservation, we received a phone call in advance of our stay letting us know about this.

There are trails to the beach, but we woke to rain the next morning, so we did not explore this.

One trash/recycle area a distance away from the campsites which seems typical for PA state parks. Alcohol is strictly forbidden– we were warned that if a ranger saw any alcohol outside of our vehicle, we would be cited. Quiet hours are 9 pm– 8 am, which is more restrictive than other state parks, however, some did not observe these quiet hours (a guitar-playing singing camper thought he was talented, but I disagree!)

Nic cabin camping!

Nice, clean, friendly/accommodating staff and the prices were reasonable for the accommodations. My Outdoor Adventure Algorithm is:(Drink+Fire+Lean-To)-(Rules+Regulations+Fees)/(Crowd-Privacy)*(Isolation*Acceptability of loud, primal, Forest-Man behavior)=Camping. While you won't mistake yourself for a member of the Donner Party, you'll also be comfortable, watching Dish, cooking on a gas stove or microwave inside(fire-ring out), with cold food/drinks and ice from the'big' mini-fridge. Bunk room had 2 bunk beds, each with a full size mattress AND room to move, plus good natural light. Living/dining area is large with a wall-mounted tv, rustic wood dining set, storage room and hooks/hangers, good natural light, as well as sufficient artificial direct and ambient lighting.Comfortable couch pulls out into a comfortable bed. Large covered front porch with again more lighting and a hanging swing. Parking is driveway-close, and they're pretty mellow about blazing conflagrations(IF it's under control) so you can get a REAL bed of coals to properly cook.They also have used/re-purposed camping/RV/tailgating items for sale( some free). It would even make a good event-specific yard-sale trip. Overall, a damned nice hotel in the woods. Not a survivalist challenge or hXc camping experience; just a clean, safe getaway for a game, Arts Fest, or just a time-out

Fun weekend

My family of 4 tent camped here for the weekend. Everyone at this campground was so friendly and nice. The staff really tried to make our stay comfortable. I noticed there was always a staff member driving around in a golf cart, checking on things. The bathrooms were very clean and maintained the whole weekend. The firewood sold at the camp store was only$5 for a large bundle and burned very well. Some campgrounds seem to sell "wet" wood that is hard to light. My only negative comment would be this is more of an RV park. If you do tent camp you should know you will be out in the open, no trees around your site and NO privacy. I will say the tent sites are huge and you can park 2 cars at each one. We made the best of it. We stayed in site 404

Love this area!

We were only able to stay 3 days. We will return!!! Such a nice setting. We could hear the river rapids from our campfire. The visitor center ranger, Al, was exceptional!!! There’s so much to do in the area.

Beautiful starry skies & trails!

Only was able to spend one night here but I’m excited to return ASAP! The night skies were beautiful (starry starry night w/little light pollution) and trails galore leading directly from the campground. Bathrooms were clean as well- an added bonus!

Beautiful. Quiet. Fun.

We stayed here with friends and had a lovely time. The campground was maybe only 1/2 full and the camp sites near us were empty so we had a very quiet and peaceful weekend. The creek and river are perfect for curious little ones to explore. Great fishing spot. The walk to the tunnel is quick and easy for all ages. Beautiful spot. We will go again.

One of our favorites

This place is great! Always end our season here. The Halloween weekends are the best.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak at Knoebels Campground

Campground Review: Knoebels campground is very expansive and has sites named after various states and countries. For this trip we stayed at Bermuda site#6. The sites are very clean and come with a power hookup, picnic table, and fire ring. In addition to the campsites you have access to the campsite bathrooms which also have showers. They’re nothing special but they get the job done and are cleaned daily by staff. The campsites themselves are also honestly nothing special, they’re a little packed but surprisingly all of the campers are respectful and adhere to written quiet hours. What makes this place shine is its location. It’s nestled in the mountainside and just steps away from the main attraction, Knoebels Amusement Resort. This place is a throwback and hits all of the right notes. On the weekends you pay per ride, they have wooden roller coasters which consistently rank as the top in the country. There’s also a carousel that dates back 100 years, on the carousel if you ride on the outside they have brass rings that you can retrieve with the goal of collecting as many as you can. The food at the park is awesome and ranges from pizza to pierogis and everything in between. In addition to the rides they have a stream fed pool with water slides which was a great way to cool off on the hot days that we were there. The park itself is a 10/10 and a great place to make memories with your family. After a full day at the park it was great to get back to the campsite, make a fire, and crack a beer. I’ll be coming here with family for years to come.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. On this particular trip I tested the Home Free Hat by Banner& Oak. Banner & Oak is very much a brand committed to being environmentally conscious, celebrates the outdoors, and puts out stellar products.  Full disclosure: I have a monster collection of hats and this hat rates near the top in terms of construction and aesthetic. The Home Free gets a 5/5 in my books and will be a mainstay in my rotation.

For more information and to purchase one for yourself check out the hat at their website: https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/home-free-navy

Great Campground

Great campground. Lots of sites. Friendly and accommodating staff. Great location for activities including Hershey Park, Hershey Chocolate factory, Hershey RV show.

One of the BEST campgrounds I have ever been to!

My family and I just stayed here for a long weekend over the Labor Day holiday. Appalachian is one of the absolute best campgrounds I have ever stayed at. It’s extremely clean and very well organized. We started our trip Friday afternoon, we pulled into the campground and they had a table set up outside to “check in.” We did not wait in a mile long line to park and go into the office. There was no rv backup of people trying to get through. It was extremely quick and very efficient to just pull up to a table say our name and be given the map and directed to our site. The campground had numerous activities set up all throughout the day and there was something for everyone. I find that a lot of campground activities tend to be centered around small children and with my kids being 13 and 12, they’re usually left out of the fun. There was bingo, crafts, a vendor craft show, hot dog eating contest for adults and kids, candy scramble in the dark for adults and kids, a dj Saturday night and a live band Sunday night. The pool was open until 10pm everyday. This campground has free mini golf. You can borrow golf clubs but you do have to buy balls. The staff was friendly and very helpful. You could leave your trash at the end of your site everyday and it was picked up by the staff, you did not have make trips to a dumpster. An excellent little surprise for me was the farm truck they had drive around Saturday morning. I was able to buy fresh produce for our dinner and I never even left my campsite. So beware, have cash or you’ll be cranky you couldn’t buy enough like I was! The only negative thing I could possibly say would be our campsite was….awkward. We were unaware that our site was a buddy site. Now it was Labor Day weekend, the campground was completely full and we booked late. The site we got was the only one available for the size of our camper. The buddy site was very narrow and since our buddy arrived first we had no choice but to park farther down on the site to avoid our awnings touching and that left us very uneven. It was a hill and no matter how many times we adjusted, we just could not get leveled. So my advice would be to make sure you aren’t put on the buddy sites if at all possible. The row starting with 310 on the map is all buddy sites. We have already booked our next trip and made sure we were not on another buddy site. Now that I know this, we can avoid that one issue in the future. I enjoyed this campground so much that this will now be our go to campground when we want to stay close to home.

Quiet and well kept

We stay at lake glory every year while visiting Knoebels.  It’s so much quieter than Knoebels campground and so much more room.  We love the creek side sites!  Kids can wade in the water to cool off while parents are chatting and cooking just few feet away.  We have never used the bus to head to the park - but it is one more nice thing they add to help make  your stay relaxing.  Book early….these sites fill fast!

Packed!

If you are first timer and going in for Friday - Sunday weekend camp trip….know this campground will be packed.  We tried to rent kettle bikes for the kids twice during our stay and none where available both times.  We also had people walking thru out campsite all weekend and the common areas had trash laying around.  This campground needs some TLC.   Was our first time and we most likely will not be back.

Beautiful and clean

Decent spaces between sites, with a smaller section for tents than RVs. Tent sites also have raised pads/beds for the tents to be set up and have options near the creek for both tents and RVs. I was impressed by how clean the bathrooms were kept in addition to the grounds. There’s a fenced not in area for dogs and a mini golf course, but it’s more for younger children. We were able to purchase Hershey Park tickets which were cheaper than buying from the Hershey (at a discount) and it includes shuttle service to and from the park!  The staff were friendly and welcoming and it was an overall wonderful experience.

Great weekend!

We are extremely pleased with the campground. We decided to stay here based on it's close proximity to Bucknell University. The staff is friendly, clientele is calm. Lots of well maintained seasonal sites. All the kids flock to the playground. A nice feature is the petting zoo. We will definitely return!

A little Strange

Decent campground, we had a large,fairly shaded, not to horribly out of level site. A lot of seasonal campers that were very nice people. Very nice camp store. There was just no wow factor, the bathrooms are old and showers are pay showers. The campground shares a property with a trailer park. To me, it was blah, all the planned activities were geared towards adults, not kids. Seems like a retirement campground.

Peace and Quiet in Penns Woods

There are a couple things that we love in life, and right at the top of that list is peace and quiet in the great outdoors. The wilds of Penns Woods or the area better known as the state of Pennsylvania offers great opportunities for the camping and outdoor enthusiast alike.

This past week we took the time to mix some business with pleasure and ended up at Hemlock Acres Campground located just a short distance from State College of Pa. You would never know that this little piece of heaven on earth is so close to one of the biggest college sports phenoms in the nation(the Penn State Nittany Lions). As you drive up the mountain and into this outdoor haven, the peace and serenity of mother nature kicks in and your troubles seem to get left behind.

Our hosts, Rudy and Ann Schock, who just happen to be clients of ours welcomed us to their property to get a feel for what camping at Hemlock Acres is like. Keep in mind that Hemlock is filled with mostly seasonal campers that return year in and year out for not only the hospitality offered here, but also the atmosphere and amenities the Schock's have to offer. They park their RV's and travel trailers on the close to 150 acre complex to forget about life for a while.

If your not a regular however, this campground offers a number of transient sites both back in and pull through along with a number of rental cabins that sleep anywhere from two to eight people. Some are rustic and some have bathrooms but all are well equipped for your stay. Two bath houses and a game room and playground with pool are onsite to keep you comfortable while there.

We've stayed at a lot of different facilities over the years and we loved the cabins at Hemlock. They were in great condition, were well equipped and the best part, were bright and clean inside.

Tent sites for individuals and groups are also available here. Nestled under the Hemlocks on the very back of the property, this area offers picnic tables and fire rings and a peaceful nights sleep.(no traffic noise to worry about here) and lots of area to explore.

To top it all off, an in ground pool and play area lie near the entrance to the campground and are centrally located for all guests to enjoy.

CLOSED

CLOSED

Not that great

My family and I stayed at this campground for a week. Our campsite was very large and spacious with a lot of shade which was really nice. However the campsite was barely cleaned up from the last campers. There were bottle caps and nut shells throughout the entire campsite. The pool is awesome however it’s not open very late nor does the staff open it at 11 and I usually had to chase someone down to unlock it. Same for the game room, it was never opened unless I asked because “no one was there.” Well I was paying to camp so I would appreciate being able to use the amenities offered. Most of the office staff seemed annoyed every time I walked into the office for ice cream or some other necessity. And no, I never complained about the trash or the pool or the employees for them to have a reason to be annoyed with me. It just seemed to be the general attitude. The employees drove around the campground in golf carts all day doing various jobs and most of the time it seemed like they were practicing for a race. One of the golf carts backfired constantly and it sounded like a gunshot. We tried out this campground for a week in the hopes of finding somewhere to camp seasonally. Unfortunately this campground was not for us.

Very friendly and helpful staff

My family recently spent a long weekend at Pinch Pond. Our campsite was very spacious and the ENTIRE campground was extremely clean and tidy. The office and grounds keeping staff were super friendly and helpful. They have Hershey’s ice cream in the office and my kids enjoyed getting a treat. Their game room has tickets. This is the one and only campground we have ever visited that gave tickets for playing games and my kids LOVED IT! It was like camping and going to chuckie cheese at the same time. If I have one and only complaint it’s the pool, it could use an upgrade and I wish they had actual lounge chairs rather than just plastic chairs to sit. However, unlike most campgrounds, the pool stayed open pretty late so that was a huge bonus for me.

Beautiful views, clean campground, friendly people. Ice cream, arcade, restaurant and camp store all walking distance away.

Secluded lake

Nice campground, friendly people, camp store and ice cream within walking distance. Lake is nice, smaller but perfect for families and water temp was great.

Will definitely continue to camp here.

Been camping here twice and both times were a lot of fun. It is a wonderful spot, which means it does get crowded but besides that, it's a place I will continue to come back to.

Short weekend adventure

Tail end of our vacation came with a camping trip! We went to riverside and the weather was perfect! The bands were great both nights. We all took the kayaks out on the Susquehanna River that runs behind the property for a sunny paddle. Came back and went to a wine fest, in the park that is right next to the campground, bought some root beer moonshine (which is AMAZING) then ended the night with hamburgers music and a friendly (competitive) game of corn hole. Riverside is such a great place for a short weekend away.

Great Camping & Activities

Surrounded by Lake Jean at the top of Red Rock Mtn, this clean campground offers spacious pads for tents or campers. Lots to do and see nearby: hiking, swimming, horseback riding, and catch & release fishing are all available. Open year round so snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing are also options. I can't wait to go back again!

Nice campgrounds and personal

Went there this week, very friendly owners and employees and helpful. We had a good time camping and at the pool. They have a nice game room, nice bathrooms with showers. It was Very enjoyable time,and we will be back.

Quiet with activities

We stayed at Appalachian to visit a friend who has a seasonal site. Our site was full hook up. It was a nice size and was in a good location - near the ponds, pool, office, and bathhouse - but was still quiet! There were scheduled activities for kids and adults. The majority of seasonal sites we're clean and we'll maintained. Campers were friendly. A plus is that this campground is super easy to access from a major highway and once inside you forget about that.

Pearl Hunting

What I like the best about exploring different State Parks is the hunt to find the pearl… that one thing that makes each park stand out from all the other parks I have visited. This pearl hunt is a completely individualistic process. For example the beautiful stream (Honey Creek) running through it might be the pearl for a fisherman ( It has native and stocked trout). Or the playground might be the pearl for a mom or dad. For me, the pearl is a super clean, eco-shower. Yep that’s right, the shower! Timed water, lights (solar?)etc. are spot on for me! A shower? That doesn’t seem very exciting, you might say…let me explain; My De-stress thing to do after a hard week at work is to go and have Dinner at the park. I first take a nice warm shower and let all the stress of the day go down that drain. Then I go find a deserted section and a picnic table and just sit down. Immediately I can feel every bit is stress or anxiety dissipate. My ears are filled with the sounds of crickets, birds and other insects. This is my meditation music. There are three pavilions and tables everywhere in the park. In this atmosphere, I chew slower, taste more and I swear, food tastes better out of doors…. better than any restaurant… try it sometime! Other favorite things about Reeds Gap - pet friendly … it is tents only, but I like that about it too… I like the rustic setting. There are 3 beautiful pavilions and tons of parking! I also like their waste management as they offer recycling for the campers. There is a trail head near the entrance of the park for hikers and a geocache showed up close to the trail on a road on my geocache tracker if you are into that. I have just shared what makes Reeds Gap special for me, but you will have to come explore this gem for yourself and find your own pearl and what makes this state park one of Pennsylvania’s treasures.