Chicora, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Chicora Camping Reviews
Cute campground

We chose this park because it was the closest one we could find that was still open with electric this time of year to downtown Pittsburgh. Also, because it had great cell/internet service on our hotspots and had a lot of trails. Unfortunately, it had been raining a lot so we weren’t able to explore the trails. The campground is nice– the toilets are just pit toilets and they do have a sun shower. They are on a well so there is limited water and they don’t allow you to fill up your on board tank. Make sure you fill up before you go! Also, there is a road in the park (Echo Dell Road) that RV’s/Trailers can’t go on so make sure you approach this campground from Leslie Road!

Family Fun at this beautiful campground!

My family and I love Raccoon Creek State Park! It's beautiful and has everything you need for a great trip! Well maintained park with tons of stuff to do. They make sure the lake is readily stocked with fish. If your up for it I recommend the trails also. The wild flower reservation also has great trails.They have affordable boat rentals and the beach area is a nice spot to spend a day to relax. Camping is also great here. I've camped with my family several times with no complaints. The park rangers are also extremely helpful and very clear with the rules they want you to follow. Great fun for anyone!Lovely picnic areas. The bathrooms weren't the cleanest but I've seen worse! There were a lot of loud campers late at night(way after 11, even beyond as late as 12:30 am). Other than that, great!

Nice quiet campground

Nice quiet campground. Lots of room, fishing lake and pool. Not a ton of activities but would recommend.

Quiet well maintained

Owners and seasonal campers are friendly. We camped here 3 times this summer. We’re going to masquerade ball in October. Large sites, nice restrooms, big hall, pool, lake to canoe, boat & fish. They have a small cafe for breakfast and lunch. You can rent the hall for parties and weddings. You can get married at the gazebo. They have activities on weekends. Like the bingo here. Keystone Lake close to campground to go boating. Short drive to Smicksburg to shop. You may hear the horse drawn buggies of the Amish who keep their boats here. No charge for golf carts. Senior discount for sites. We invited friends who like it here and invited others. Would recommend!

Love the campground

Beautiful facilities. Clean bathrooms. Lots of activities. Great play area for the kids!

Great stay!!!

Thank you to Jay and Kelly for a wonderful 10 day stay at their campground. So much to do in the area, hiking, waterfalls, good eats, Bear Town Rocks, beautiful forests… We loved our campsite right on the small pond that is stocked with Carp and Koi. The seasonal campers made us feel so welcome and included us in trick-or-treat, potluck and a fun dance complete with DJ. Being able to use Passport America for a couple of days helps to make it affordable. Showers were clean and hot. Nice store, laundry. This is not a fancy campground but one we’ll love to come back to!

Free first come first server primitive sites .

Sites along river rd and millstone rd south of Belltown. There is a pit toilet for the sites where river rd meets millstone creek rd. Clean up and take your trash with you when you go.

Rude owner!

Owner has no people skills! He was extreamly rude to our whole group! Plenty of other campgrounds in the area to choose from, would not recommend Kalumet at all!

Big Disappointment

Some sites require over 50' of hose and multiple power cords to reach power box due to the great amount of trees providing good shade throughout camp ground. The owner took it upon himself to correct the children and not the parents. The community had a great Halloween weekend. I will never go back or recommend this place after they way things were handled later on in the weekend with friends being evicted with 0 notice as owner was to cowardly to speak with adults over an activity that was mishandled from the beginning. Drive 10 more minutes and stay in the park. It's way nicer, and close to activities.

GREAT state park

Clean and accommodating state park on beautiful Shenango lake. Great to boat and fish.

Cute and Clean

Bear Run offers pull through sites for larger RV's. The pool is smaller but still enjoyable.  Tons of activities always planned on the weekend.  Family Friendly Friendly!

Awesome Time!

Campground is clean, offers many kid friendly activities, and staff is accommodating. Great time.

Super Family Friendly!

Great Place for adults and children to enjoy themselves! Plenty of activities.  Welcoming Staff!

Halloween weekends are a great time to visit!

Campers Beware! No Hospitality!!

The owner, Mark is arrogant, pompous and has 0 interest in making you feel welcomed or comfortable.  He is miserable,  and is incapable of holding an adult conversation.  He ostracized a couple of teenage girls,  who were camping with their family and trying to take part of a planned camp activity.  They girls did make a mistake, as most 16 year old children will during their lives, but Mark did not allow the parents to explain, apologize, or handle the situation. He kicked out a family of 5 at 10pm at night because he was on a power trip. Not a family friend place!

You shouldn't have to worry about being asked to leave  because your child mishandled the roles to a game…. and when you haven't been a disturbance, or haven't broke any laws.

Also, hook ups are extremely far away from sites. Very inconvenient. DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!

Beautiful wooded site

This is a beautiful camping site.

Great First RV Trip

We decided to go here for our first RV trip as it is close to home for us. Great first experience! We stayed at site 43 in the Hillside Loop because we brought our 2 large dogs. Site was very private and relatively flat. We did not use the bathroom facilities but they seemed nice. There is a lot to do in the park and the fact that it is very close to home means we will back again!

Good stay

When we discovered that Shenango Corps of Engineers park had closed early in September, we needed to find a home right away. This met our needs very well. Despite the fact that it’s not our normal kind of camping, in the woods, it was very comfortable. It does not feel crowded, sites were grassy and all utilities worked well. Owners are very nice people and are working to continually improve this property they just acquired a couple years ago. The park is largely seasonal but has several spots for drop-in RVS and tents. Big rig accessible. We reserved for 2 nights, stayed 3 and would return. Bathrooms were clean if a bit unique with a rope and pulley system of water delivery to the shower head. I appreciate that the owners have a desire to keep prices steady but wonder if consideration might be given to some kind of a discount such as a rate for more than two days, passport America, AARP, a weekday discount, a weekly rate ….. $35 is about five dollars more per night more than we typically pay.

Have to find the right camp spot

Went to Raccoon Creek State Park to camp for Labor Day weekend. We booked campsite F1 since we had 2 dogs and the F loop allowed dogs. This site was great! We could fit two tents and it was nice and secluded from the other sites. I recommend booking a site that is on the outside of the “loops” if you want some seclusion. The inner loop sites are right on top of each other, good for Rvs, not so much for tent camping. The bathrooms were a little bit of a hike, the next loop over, but they where clean and had flush toilets and running water along with a shower and sinks to wash dishes. There was a place to get water across from this site which was very convenient . The dog walking trails weren’t bad, but they where very up and down hill, at points steep and rocky. The spring was a really cool hike (right off the park office parking lot.) Down by the beach they had a place to buy wood, only $5 a bundle and the beach place also sells bags of ice. Overall a really good family campground!

Back to Nature

Went there off-season which I recommend everyone do. In the Fall. Beautiful colored folage. Woke up to find I was surrounded by a huge herd of deer. Outstanding!

Nice area not very level

Its a nice place, great creek and woods. Most of the spots will require leveling blocks

Nice and clean campgrounds

The Campground was really nice, some spots gave you enough space to feel pretty secluded from other campers, which was nice for my partner and I.

Very hilly

Nice campground but too hilly for kids to ride bikes. Very close to Lake Arthur for fishing and kayaking.

Love it!

We love camping at Jellystone at Kozy Rest! Staff is super friendly and campground is always very clean. Tons of activities to keep the kids busy all day!!

Quiet, peaceful, relaxing, wooded and scenic

This is the place to unwind and relax. If you want to build giant bonfires and drink and party loudly until all hours of the night, this is not for you.

Camp owners live here and are extremely helpful and friendly.

Gated entrance for security; very safe area in the middle of Amish country:closest businesses are an Amish-run nursery and a fruit/vegetable stand. Shopping is about 15 minutes away and Shenango Reservoir is about 20 minutes away.

Large sites

Mostly seasonal, and about 20 others, including pull-through a.

Great for kids

Pools a big hit for kids and they have a small puttputt golf course and basketballs to play with for free along with a small playground. That being said, most of the sites are taken up by full timers. The ones that aren’t are close together or the spot is very un-level. For Spot 19 you would literally have to move the fire ring and picnic table from spot 18 out of your way. (No they didn’t take up 2 spots, they just overlap it’s so close) The bathrooms are also filthy and on the weekends kids run in and out of them to play. I have no idea why. They run in screaming chat with each other and then run back out. It’s very uncomfortable when you’re in the shower. I also tried their second set of bathrooms, but it was filled with wasps. I reported both bathrooms. But they didn’t seem very concerned and the next day only the trash had been changed. I did not go check if the wasps were gone. They also have an abundance of golf carts here. Which is fine until you’re trying to take a walk and you have to walk into someone else’s camp to get out of their way. You will do this multiple times with each small loop because people here drive them just to drive. Don’t try to leave for food in the evenings on the weekend. EVERYONE gets on their golf carts and will drive around the campground like a giant snake game. You will not escape.

Big woods feel

Long drive (almost a mile) into the campground from the main road. You follow the creek into the campground where it also meets the Clarion River. Lot of crayfish to catch in frigid cold Clear Creek and great tubing in the Clarion River. Cabins, RV and tent sites available. I’ll be honest, the tent only loop l, sites 43 and higher are not that great. Nothing flat and very difficult to find a good spot on them for a tent. But they are also the most private sites. Clear Creek State Forest is just next door and offers lots of hiking and biking trails. Farmers Inn is just outside of the campground with great food and Cooks Forest is a short drive away with go carts tubing and canoeing and kayaking.

Beyond the Great Outdoors

I have been camping at Moraine State Park since I was 5 years old (so about 14 years). While I was in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts we used the 5 Points Group Camping Area a lot. It is right next to the bike trail and has access to the lake. I have enjoyed my time at Moraine and will enjoy it every time I visit.

Jellystone

Plenty of activities for the kids, awesome lasertag course. Best shower house I've seen.

Would definitely go back

Backpacking campground is nice. Trails are well maintained. Beautiful place. Frankfort mineral springs is amazing!

Calm, secluded

This campground is really lovely. It’s quiet and off by itself; so you’re really able to enjoy being outside. The roads and sites are gravel with full hook ups. You’ll have to back in, and four wheel drive helps. Only 55min to the heart of Pittsburgh was a big draw and it’s situated close enough to a camper world if you need anything from there. The owner is very nice and easy to work with. This is a quiet place and I highly recommend it if you need a place for a few days!